• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Can you help me plan/map out my pre-start?

SallyJane

Time of past OR future Camino
Future
Hi,

I've never been to Europe (I'm from Australia and living in Thailand).

I fly into France (CDG Airport) on 21 April at about 7.40am.

I would like to take the train straight to Bayonne. I'm not in a rush and was thinking of spending a night in Bayonne (21st) and then arriving in SJPP the later afternoon the next day (22nd). I was going to spend a day (23rd) in and around SJPP before beginning my walk on the 24th.

Here are some of the questions I'm hoping for some insite on:

- Train - I don't know alot about the train system in France (I'm reading and learning slowly). I'm always worried about flight delays and cancellations especially in these times and like to stay as flexible as possible in my arrangements. Question- is it better to prebook my train ticket now or is it easy to book and pay at the station? Is it more expensive to book at the train station? Is there a risk of no tickets left if I buy on the day?

- Refuge Orrison - I really want to just enjoy my Camino walk instead of feeling like I have to rush and push myself. I love the freedom of walking and I love just stopping where I feel the urge and sitting and enjoying the view and fresh air for a bit. So even tho I could survive the first days walk over the mountain, I'd prefer to stay at the Refuge along the way so I can enjoy two days of walking the mountain slower and savouring it. However, my current concerns are these.... I have to travel through several stops on my way to France and covid is high where I am currently. I have a risky stopover in Bangkok where if I test positive for covid they quarantine you for 10 days (regardless of symptoms or not). So there is a risk which I can't control in my Camino starting date potentially being delayed if I catch covid or have to go into quarantine. I'm also watching the weather in the beginning stage of the Camino and it's still snowing... I understand the normal route through the mountain won't be open of the weather is bad (plus I hate the cold and the snow will reduce the beauty for me). Does anyone have any thoughts on wether I should just plan on taking the alternative route and just plan for the mountain pass to be closed? Is the alternative route shorter than the mountain pass? I want to avoid a strenuous first day so I set the pace for the rest of the walk. Id love any insite on the alternative route (distance and anywhere to stay along the way). I'm happy to do the research if you point me in the right direction. I was about to prebook the Refuge because I know it sells out (fast?) but I'm worried about the above two issues.

Thanks for your thoughts and guidance.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Refuge Orrison - I really want to just enjoy my Camino walk instead of feeling like I have to rush and push myself. I love the freedom of walking and I love just stopping where I feel the urge and sitting and enjoying the view and fresh air for a bit
I understand your concerns about booking at Orisson in case your travel to Europe is interrupted, but you do need to book it in advance, and that means now.
If you can't secure a bed at Orisson (or the new nearby Auberge Borda) you have a couple of other options to split up the walk from SJPdP to Roncesvalles:
You can take the Valcarlos route and spend the night in Valcarlos.
You can book two nights in St Jean, and use Express Bouricott's Mountain Shuttle.

If you are looking for the direct fast trains to Bayonne - pre-book! If you are looking at the slower train routes (usually require a transfer or two) - booking in advance may not be necessary. But if you are not spending the night in Paris - you might just want to consider flying to Biarritz instead of navigating through Paris to Gare Montparnasse and spending several hours on the train.

Orisson - Must be pre-booked most of the time (you could get lucky, but I wouldn't risk it). I am assuming Borda is the same as it has gotten popular pretty fast. If you don't pre-book and they don't have space - you would either have to walk all the way to Ronesvalles in one day, or utilize the shuttle to get back to St Jean from wherever you stop your first days walk and then shuttle back to where you left off in the AM, OR take the Valcarlos route.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I understand your concerns about booking at Orisson in case your travel to Europe is interrupted, but you do need to book it in advance, and that means now.
If you can't secure a bed at Orisson (or the new nearby Auberge Borda) you have a couple of other options to split up the walk from SJPdP to Roncesvalles:
You can take the Valcarlos route and spend the night in Valcarlos.
You can book two nights in St Jean, and use Express Bouricott's Mountain Shuttle.
Thanks. That's given me something to think about in terms of the shuttle bus...

If you are looking for the direct fast trains to Bayonne - pre-book! If you are looking at the slower train routes (usually require a transfer or two) - booking in advance may not be necessary. But if you are not spending the night in Paris - you might just want to consider flying to Biarritz instead of navigating through Paris to Gare Montparnasse and spending several hours on the train.

Orisson - Must be pre-booked most of the time (you could get lucky, but I wouldn't risk it). I am assuming Borda is the same as it has gotten popular pretty fast. If you don't pre-book and they don't have space - you would either have to walk all the way to Ronesvalles in one day, or utilize the shuttle to get back to St Jean from wherever you stop your first days walk and then shuttle back to where you left off in the AM, OR take the Valcarlos route.
Thank you for that helpful info.

I really enjoy seeing a country by train so I don't mind a few hours sitting and seeing my first glimpses of Paris countryside.

I will take your advice and prebook the rapid train. In terms of getting from the CDG Airport to Montparnasse it seems there is a train between the two places (takes about 1 hour). I don't know if the stationni get off at will be the same station I get on my Bayonne train leg. I'll keep researching.

Thanks for the Orrison info also. As you suggested Borda is already fully booked. The mountain shuttle gives me the option to 'wing it' (stay flexible) so I'll sleep on the decision...

I really enjoy seeing a country by train so I don't mind a few hours sitting and seeing my first glimpses of Paris countryside.

I will take your advice and prebook the rapid train. In terms of getting from the CDG Airport to Montparnasse it seems there is a train between the two places (takes about 1 hour). I don't know if the stationni get off at will be the same station I get on my Bayonne train leg. I'll keep researching.

Thanks for the Orrison info also. As you suggested Borda is already fully booked. The mountain shuttle gives me the option to 'wing it' (stay flexible) so I'll sleep on the decision...
I totally understand enjoying the views from the train! I would have liked to do that - but there were no rapid trains the day I need one - so heading back to CDG for a flight. (I am spending 2 nights in Paris). I will say though - after coming from the US to Europe last year (flew into Madrid that time) - I took the train to Pamplona and I couldn't stay awake enough to enjoy looking out a window haha.

And yes - it is pretty easy to navigate from CDG to Montparnasse - if that is what you want to do! I use google maps and have them help me navigate the trains in Europe - works very well.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I totally understand enjoying the views from the train! I would have liked to do that - but there were no rapid trains the day I need one - so heading back to CDG for a flight. (I am spending 2 nights in Paris). I will say though - after coming from the US to Europe last year (flew into Madrid that time) - I took the train to Pamplona and I couldn't stay awake enough to enjoy looking out a window haha.

And yes - it is pretty easy to navigate from CDG to Montparnasse - if that is what you want to do! I use google maps and have them help me navigate the trains in Europe - works very well.
Thanks for sharing your experience. I'll definitely book the train in advance then. I've had the same worry that happened to you - that I will be too tired to enjoy the view. Fingers crossed.

Hi,

I've never been to Europe (I'm from Australia and living in Thailand).

I fly into France (CDG Airport) on 21 April at about 7.40am.

I would like to take the train straight to Bayonne. I'm not in a rush and was thinking of spending a night in Bayonne (21st) and then arriving in SJPP the later afternoon the next day (22nd). I was going to spend a day (23rd) in and around SJPP before beginning my walk on the 24th.

Here are some of the questions I'm hoping for some insite on:

- Train - I don't know alot about the train system in France (I'm reading and learning slowly). I'm always worried about flight delays and cancellations especially in these times and like to stay as flexible as possible in my arrangements. Question- is it better to prebook my train ticket now or is it easy to book and pay at the station? Is it more expensive to book at the train station? Is there a risk of no tickets left if I buy on the day?

- Refuge Orrison - I really want to just enjoy my Camino walk instead of feeling like I have to rush and push myself. I love the freedom of walking and I love just stopping where I feel the urge and sitting and enjoying the view and fresh air for a bit. So even tho I could survive the first days walk over the mountain, I'd prefer to stay at the Refuge along the way so I can enjoy two days of walking the mountain slower and savouring it. However, my current concerns are these.... I have to travel through several stops on my way to France and covid is high where I am currently. I have a risky stopover in Bangkok where if I test positive for covid they quarantine you for 10 days (regardless of symptoms or not). So there is a risk which I can't control in my Camino starting date potentially being delayed if I catch covid or have to go into quarantine. I'm also watching the weather in the beginning stage of the Camino and it's still snowing... I understand the normal route through the mountain won't be open of the weather is bad (plus I hate the cold and the snow will reduce the beauty for me). Does anyone have any thoughts on wether I should just plan on taking the alternative route and just plan for the mountain pass to be closed? Is the alternative route shorter than the mountain pass? I want to avoid a strenuous first day so I set the pace for the rest of the walk. Id love any insite on the alternative route (distance and anywhere to stay along the way). I'm happy to do the research if you point me in the right direction. I was about to prebook the Refuge because I know it sells out (fast?) but I'm worried about the above two issues.

Thanks for your thoughts and guidance.

I can help by pointing you to the current train app ----------- I'm totally hopeless with trains. I live in Auxerre and my trainy friends all use this app. - it's the official one. They seem to think it's easy.

I'm considering starting from Auxerre - at least I know where I'm starting from.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-04-03 093148.jpg
    Screenshot 2022-04-03 093148.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 5
  • Screenshot 2022-04-03 093218.jpg
    Screenshot 2022-04-03 093218.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 5
I can help by pointing you to the current train app ----------- I'm totally hopeless with trains. I live in Auxerre and my trainy friends all use this app. - it's the official one. They seem to think it's easy.

I'm considering starting from Auxerre - at least I know where I'm starting from.
Yay! Thanks. There's nothing like a locals knowledge.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Yay! Thanks. There's nothing like a locals knowledge.
yeah, well - I wouldn't call me local in matters of train. I'm ok with some long distance bus stuff - I've used Flixbus a few times - I found it easy. ATM I'm in Croatia and will go back to Auxerre via Paris with Flix - I'll probably have a couple of birthdays on the way - but, it is very easy. Good luck - oh, btw - when I read your post - I thought - hmmmmm - unless you're superman - you won't be thinking straight for a few days - Europe is a long trip in cattle class from Oz - bad enough in business - I'm not up to speed for several days -

yeah, well - I wouldn't call me local in matters of train. I'm ok with some long distance bus stuff - I've used Flixbus a few times - I found it easy. ATM I'm in Croatia and will go back to Auxerre via Paris with Flix - I'll probably have a couple of birthdays on the way - but, it is very easy. Good luck - oh, btw - when I read your post - I thought - hmmmmm - unless you're superman - you won't be thinking straight for a few days - Europe is a long trip in cattle class from Oz - bad enough in business - I'm not up to speed for several days -
I fly from Thailand (in Australia currently). It's an overnight flight with Singapore Airlines and based on my recent trips with them I should pass out fast and deep. Fingers crossed. But I'm sure I will still feel like crap. I'm trying to do all the major thinking, planning and booking now so I don't have to think too much on arrival.

Arriving nice and early into CDG gives you the advantage of being able to catch a number of trains out of Gare Montparnasse going to Bayonne. So as to not feel too rushed, the 12:11 pm high speed train would be the one that I’d pick. Although there is one around 10 am, with getting across Paris and possible delays, it might be a tight connection. You’ll still be in Bayonne by 4 pm and be able to enjoy the evening there before catching the train to SJPP. To speed up your exit from CDG, take your backpack into the cabin with you. Don’t check it. The price of your ticket should be better by buying in advance.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
A one-stop shop for trains throughout Europe is the ‘Rail Europe’ app. There is a small additional booking fee, but the site’s available in English and very easy to use.

For detailed advice - sometimes perhaps too detailed - the site ‘man in seat 61’ is superb.

For booking Orrison; the process isn’t exactly straightforward. You request a booking and then a variable number of days later; usually precisely 24 hours after you post on here saying nothing’s happened - you get an email with a link to pay. Search ‘Orrison’ for countless previous threads on the topic.

I have flown into Paris twice, Los Angeles to CDG. From CDG, I took a bus to Montparnasse. There was a dedicated bus, used to be called the Air France bus, then Le Bus, went from CDG directly to Montparnasse. Both times I spent the night in the Montparnasse area - a really nice area to hang out and start getting adjusted to the time difference. Then the next morning, a train from Montparnasse to Bayonne, and the local train to SJPdP. I have never been to France, was by myself, and it seemed very easy.
Buen Camino!
--james--
P.S. I have spent 6-7 weeks in Thailand, mostly Chiang Mai, each of the last 10 winters (except a year ago). Love the people, the food, and the culture. Looking forward to returning to Thailand as returning to make another pilgrimage to Santiago de Compostela.

I have flown into Paris twice, Los Angeles to CDG. From CDG, I took a bus to Montparnasse. There was a dedicated bus, used to be called the Air France bus, then Le Bus, went from CDG directly to Montparnasse. Both times I spent the night in the Montparnasse area - a really nice area to hang out and start getting adjusted to the time difference. Then the next morning, a train from Montparnasse to Bayonne, and the local train to SJPdP. I have never been to France, was by myself, and it seemed very easy.
Buen Camino!
--james--
P.S. I have spent 6-7 weeks in Thailand, mostly Chiang Mai, each of the last 10 winters (except a year ago). Love the people, the food, and the culture. Looking forward to returning to Thailand as returning to make another pilgrimage to Santiago de Compostela.
I live in Chiang Mai....

Thanks for taking the time to help!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

A one-stop shop for trains throughout Europe is the ‘Rail Europe’ app. There is a small additional booking fee, but the site’s available in English and very easy to use.

I too am a big fan of the SNCF Connect app, which I found very easy to navigate - and sites like Trainline and RailEurope are even easier, though as @henrythedog said they do charge a (small) additional fee. All three even store your tickets on the app so you generally don't have to print your tickets to travel, though of course check details of the particular train and route you're traveling to make sure.

However and whatever you choose to book, do it sooner rather than later.
Like airfares, prices for many train routes are not fixed and you will generally pay less the earlier you book. Prices can and do rise as the date you want to travel gets closer.

One last tip: As I've mentioned before, I found out the hard way that these train booking platforms will automatically insert a travel time into your booking query, and logically enough that time seems to be coordinated to local time in western Europe (GMT +2) when you happen to be making your booking no matter where in the world you're booking from. So if you're in Thailand (GMT +7) and, say, trying to book at 10 AM local time the booking platforms (including SNCF and Trainline) will insert 5 AM into the search field and you may not find all the train options you're looking for. (It's probably a helpful feature for most people who will be booking trains in the same time zone but can cause confusion for those of us booking from other places.)

TL;dr – make sure you enter the approximate time you hope to travel in the search field along with the date of travel. Buen Camino!

I posted some advice on your other thread about CDG. All I can say is I have been there and done it more times than I can count, that is the reason I suggest to fly to Bordeaux or Bilbao now.

Bonjour Sally Jane, there are also several direct trains from the airport CDG to Bayonne via Bordeaux ... you catch the train [TGV] from the statiin at airport terminal 2 ... I have made this journey a number of times in reverse ... saves a lot of hassle and is ideal for someone who enjoys train travel and observing the countryside ...

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
WOW! Your first trip to europe! Stop, do take a day or two in Paris!! What a beautiful city! Then you won’t have to worry about missing you prebooked train to Bayonne. Don’t hurry and pass by Paris! You can enjoy the city, sees a few sites take in its beauty, rest a bit and then take the train down to bayonne!

Most read last week in this forum

I have been incredibly inspired by so many stories of loss, pain, diagnosis, or other stories that tug at my heart strings, but one pilgrim, since lost in the threads here, was an 83 year old man...
I started my training walks last fall in preparation for the camino frances this year. This included walking in the mall in bad winter weather (ugh!). My husband was undecided about joining me...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back