• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Can you help pick a book and a month?

LMH27

Hi, I've decided I want/need to walk the camino.

I've only had a brief look through this forum and seen so much good info and am enjoying reading throughit all.

Are there any good books that people would recommend? I want to go with little planned and prepped but I will need maps surely?

I've seen this book - http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/3763348352/?tag=casaivar-21 - any good? Or is there better out there?

Then also would I be better going in September or January do people think?

Thanks x

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
The book I would take is Chaucer's Canterbury Tales, because it parallels the experience of pilgrims on the Camino de Santiago, people from all walks of life and great range of experience and temperament, as they embark on a journey together. The issues they think about are germane to all pilgrims making their way through life. Interestingly the Camino de Santiago is mentioned in the Canterbury Tales Prologue, written in the early 11th century AD.

There are exceptional years of course but usually September (late summer/autumn) is lovely weather for walking on the Camino. Grapes are being harvested, almonds and walnuts fall from the trees. The downside is toilet paper that has accumulated all summer and a dry landscape - except Galicia where it always rains.
January you need to be able and willing to cope with short days, snow, cold rain, wind and mud. Many albergues are closed but there will be little competition for beds. You will have to follow local advice about dangerous conditions, particularly in the mountains between Rabanal and Molinasecca, and walk the Valcarlos route from SJPDP to Roncesvalles.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hola and welcome to the forum

This forum has enormous information on practically any subject connected with the caminos..
Start using the search function at the top of the screen. Type in guide book and you will see numerous threads concerning the subject or any other subject.

About your question many uses John Brierley guidebook but there are so many out there. Read about them and decide.
Maps are not essential but I would certainly recommend it (part of a guide book), as it will provide an idea about the day to come.

September versus January depends on what you want.
Your walk in September will be warm and with many pilgrims.
A walk in January will require a heavier backpack as well as the weather can be very harsh in winter.
Search on winter camino and September camino and read what others have written.

Bun Camino
Lettinggo

I've only had a brief look through this forum and seen so much good info and am enjoying reading throughit all.
Are there any good books that people would recommend? I want to go with little planned and prepped but I will need maps surely?
I've seen this book - http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/3763348352/?tag=casaivar-21 - any good? Or is there better out there?
Then also would I be better going in September or January do people think? Thanks x
If I hadn't read it already I would have taken Miguel de Cervantes' classic novel Don Quixote de la Mancha.

Regds
Gerard

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
All I could recommend is what I would do: if I was to do the Camino all at once I would pick September to do it.

As far as books definitely "THE ALCHEMIST" by Paulo Coelho. No coincidence the name of the main character is Santiago and that he embarks on adventure travels looking for a treasure. If you think this is a children's tale, let me just quote the Alchemist, an enigmatic character he finds on his journey when Santiago tells him he is bit afraid --" Tell your heart that the fear of suffering is worse than the suffering itself. And that no heart has ever suffered when it goes in search of its dreams."-- WOW! :) Love that book!!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Then also would I be better going in September or January do people think?

Thanks x
Hi Lmh27
My tuppence worth of input. Month. I,d choose may or September as safe months. , depending on when I could get leave approved.
Guidebook . I had a look at your link. That one looks very informative too. The one I've used and seen many use is the Brierley guide. It has a mix of daily stages (examples that can help), also shows hills etc that are coming up that day so you can plan where to have a drink, snack, fuel /rest etc. It also gives many alburgue, hostal accommodation names and numbers(should you want to phone and reserve) it also mentions some churches or places of interest so you can include in your daily plan if you have time .

Regarding a book to read , quite a few authors from many countries . I've been to my library and taken out any I could find on pilgrimage in Spain.
Buen Camino.

The reason I walked the Camino is because somebody recommended that I read To the Field of Stars: A Pilgrim's Journey to Santiago de Compostela by Kevin Codd. I bought his book and literally couldn't put it down (thank goodness for being self-employed). I was so moved by his book that I decided to write him a letter to thank him. When I looked him up on the internet to get an address for letter, I was pleasantly surprised to learn that he lived nearby. I called him and he agreed to meet me for lunch. Great guy. We have since become friends. When I walked the Camino last year I kept in constant contact with him on Facebook. His words of encouragement and guidance were invaluable. Since reading his book I have read at least three dozen other books about the Camino. Kevin's is still my favorite.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Thank you all for the input, I shall get searching and reading!

Olivares I love Paulo Coelho, especially the alchemist and the pilgrimage...his experience of walking the camino. :)

I think from what I've read I will go for September which is just over 6 months away, very exciting!

Buen Camino LMH27! Keep working on your planning and have a very Blessed experience!

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back