• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Can you identify this Pablo Neruda poem?

dick bird

Staff member
Time of past OR future Camino
2012, 2015, 2018, 2019, 2022, 2024
"And that's why I have to go back
to so many places in the future,
there to find myself
and constantly examine myself
with no witness but the moon
and then whistle with joy.
ambling over rocks and clods of earth,
with no task but to live,
with no family but the road."

This is the translation of a Pablo Neruda poem. I would really like to have the original but I can't find it. If you can send me the original text, title and reference/copyright I would be truly grateful. I am compiling a collection of pilgrimage poems. I came across this but damned if I can find the untranslated version. Cheers.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Are you sure? All I can find (without buying the book) is El Viento En La Isla, definitely not the same poem. But thanks anyway.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I guess @Tincatinker actually knows the poem. I used a sledge hammer approach: I put the English text into deepl.com, pasted the result of Spanish words into Google Search and added "Pablo Neruda". Outcome: a number of websites with quotes that look similar and say:

Por eso tengo que volver
a tantos sitios venideros
para encontrarme conmigo
y examinarme sin cesar,
sin más testigo que la luna
y luego silbar de alegría
pisando piedras y terrones,
sin más tarea que existir,
sin más familia que el camino.
Pablo Neruda - Fin de Mundo (El Viento)

Brilliant. A thousand thanks. I will now tell you a story. We worked as volunteer hospitaleros in the albergue (temporary, in the local sports centre) in Portugalete, just outside Bilbao. It is run by the local fraternity with little help from outside. The leader/chair/general secretary was a very old and august caballero called Carlos. I got chatting to him one evening , and asked if he was from that area. He looked at me as if I was a total nincompoop and patiently explained that his family were from Spain but had to leave Spain to escape Franco. They fled to Chile, where he was born soon after their arrival. He in turn had to flee from Chile, back to Spain to escape Pinochet. It turned out that not only had he met Allende, he knew Neruda. I was talking to someone who actually knew Pablo Neruda!

The citation was taken from Of Love and Other Sorrows: Ten Modernists By Ashok Chopra. I only know the poem in its english translation.

This link https://books.google.co.uk/books/about/World_s_End_Fin_del_Mundo.html?id=KWfoAAAAMAAJ&redir_esc=y suggests however that the citation is incorrect. The link includes a contents list for the English language edition and there is no listing for El Viento or Wind.

The again this link https://www.worldcat.org/title/worlds-end/oclc/216936788 includes "The Wind" in its table of contents. I guess one of us is going to have to buy the book....

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
The citation was taken from Of Love and Other Sorrows: Ten Modernists By Ashok Chopra. I only know the poem in its english translation.

This link https://books.google.co.uk/books/about/World_s_End_Fin_del_Mundo.html?id=KWfoAAAAMAAJ&redir_esc=y suggests however that the citation is incorrect. The link includes a contents list for the English language edition and there is no listing for El Viento or Wind.

The again this link https://www.worldcat.org/title/worlds-end/oclc/216936788 includes "The Wind" in its table of contents. I guess one of us is going to have to buy the book....
Kathar1na has come to our rescue. But I might buy the book anyway. Thanks for your help. I have tried to attach the Word.doc file with my collection, but the platform won't let me. I'll keep working on it. Cheers.

there to find myself

This is the translation of a Pablo Neruda poem. I would really like to have the original but I can't find it. If you can send me the original text, title and reference/copyright I would be truly grateful. I am compiling a collection of pilgrimage poems. I came across this but damned if I can find the untranslated version. Cheers.
Hello Dick, I’ve been following forum for many years but never contributed. Your question caught my eye today and maybe I can help. I think the quotation is from a volume of Neruda poems entitled Fin del Mundo published in Buenos Aires ? Date and the poem is called El Viento. It was quoted by Isabelle Allende in one of her novels. I hope this helps.

I will look i have a few volumes. I would be really interested in reading your compilation when it is completed!

r
there to find myself

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
there to find myself

I found the translation on line but no refenrences.
Por eso tengo que volver
a tantos sitios veneridos
para encontrarme conmigo
y examinarme sin cesar
sin testigo que la luna,
y luego silbar de alegria
pisando piedras y terrones
sin tarea que existir
sin familia que el camino
Pablo Neruda

Thanks to all who have helped me out here. The poem is "El Viento" from the collection, "Fin Del Mundo".

As I mentioned, I have been putting together a collection of poems, mainly for my own use, but as soon as I can find a simple, convenient, permitted way of posting them (did you know forum posts are limited to 2000 characters? Even a simple word document has a size limit on it, probably a good idea) I will do so.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

Can anyone highly recommend an intro, fast track Spanish course, anywhere in Spain? I took Spanish lessons years ago, but was waylaid by learning Dutch, and couldn't cope with both...
Moderator, please place this in the appropriate thread. Thank you. Well, it's about time.😊👍...
Mark Taubert in FranceInfo, 24 Mars, 2024 , describes a new GR hike which has been planned for the past 10 years along the Seine passing the locations where famous 19th c Impressionist...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.