• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Can you Jack Reacher the Camino??

David

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
First one in 2005 from Moissac, France.
Hi - I did post this a couple of years ago but thought I would do it again just for fun (can't find the old post).

For those who don't know, the fictional hero, Jack Reacher, is a retired MP major who wanders the US, finds problems and sorts them, sort of a modern Lone Ranger (but without the light blue onesie and mask, and Tonto - actually, no horse either).

He carries only a toothbrush and cash, no phone, no credit cards - stays in motels where there are toiletries.

He wears the same clothes for a few days then goes into a cheap clothing store and buys cheap replacements and bins the old stuff.

Now, we don't stay in motels so would probably need something to sleep in (no, not silk pyjamas .. a very light bag or liner) ... apart from that and carrying water .... could we Jack Reacher the Camino?

Could it be done? The Camino Frances regularly passes through towns and cities that have supermarkets big enough to have clothing sections .....

discuss .. ;)

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
What about simply hand washing your existing one pair of clothing and waiting for it to dry while sitting naked in your sleep sac? 🤔. This would be a lot easier than trying to seek out clothing options at an affordable price and in the correct size in a lot of the barely populated villages in Spain. Plus it’s way more environmentally friendly than tossing out functional clothing simply because you don’t want to wash them.

I SUPPOSE it’s possible, though you’ll need large trouser pockets for the miscellaneous items (soap, sleep sack, hat)

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I think it would be very easy to “Reacher” the Camino. No one is going to refuse cash. The “donativo” box in many an Albergue would provide an eclectic clothing range (as would the drying line 😳). If you’re showering most days soap /shampoo are superfluous cosmetics. And if you’re anything like me you can always clean your teeth in a glass of Orujo.

I guess the only question is where would you keep all that cash?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
However, one pilgrim with whom I climbed O Cebreiro 2012 in a late November blizzard seemed to have the perfect solution.

He had neither pack nor sleeping bag but simply carried all essentials within 4 sturdy zip-lock bags in his pockets.Two large pockets on a snow-proof jacket contained Credencial, national passport, smartphone, phone charger, credit card, some cash, toiletries and a miniscule towel. Two pockets on his snow-proof trousers contained a change of briefs, second set of long underwear, second pair of hiking socks, a silk/polyester bag liner and flip flops. Nothing more was deemed necessary. ...Climbing together through a white-out for five hours I learned this 'secret' and many more!!

Last edited:
He carries only a toothbrush and cash, no phone, no credit cards - stays in motels where there are toiletries.

He wears the same clothes for a few days then goes into a cheap clothing store and buys cheap replacements and bins the old stuff.

Now, we don't stay in motels so would probably need something to sleep in (no, not silk pyjamas .. a very light bag or liner) ... apart from that and carrying water .... could we Jack Reacher the Camino?

Could it be done? The Camino Frances regularly passes through towns and cities that have supermarkets big enough to have clothing sections .....
On another forum, someone posted their gear list for Camino in May of this year. For clothes, they have a sun hoodie, light trousers and socks (also a rain jacket and a warm layer **there is no mention of underwear in their gear list). That is all they are planning on carrying/wearing in terms of clothes, they did mention wallet, phone/sunglasses. They are not planning on sleeping in Albergues as their plan is to hike 40+ miles a day and they want to "sleep rough". Sooooooo, there will be no showering or washing of clothing during their Camino. The gear is all pretty pricey so I don't think they will be willing to purchase new and toss the dirty.

I can't imagine standing in line behind this person at a cafe. I think I would rather hang out for an hour in one of the pig farms along Camino, pigs are clean. :D

But, to answer your question, yes, you could purchase clean clothes every 3-5 or so days. If nothing else, this makes an interesting mental exercise.

The “donativo” box in many an Albergue would provide an eclectic clothing range (as would the drying line 😳).
OK, please don't deprive other peregrinos of their socks and undies, but yes, there is almost always something in the donation box to wear. There are seldom undergarments, but I have seen socks, shoes, coats, pants, shirts, tents, compasses, campstoves with fuel, and even a full boyscout mess kit for 4 people. If Jack R. traded his dirty stuff out there, I would wash it and put it back for the next day's pilgrims/Jack Reacher types.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
All I know is that I have never watched "Jack Reacher", nor knew what it was about, but now I am curious enough to reach out to watch Jack.
P.S. I have brushed my teeth a few times with a wet washcloth; it worked in a pinch.😁
Orujo is the mouthwash afterward.

There are two films but with a tiny Tom Cruise and Reacher is huge - read the books (so much better) by Lee Child, they are terribly addictive.

Interesting thoughts.
It made my mind picture the checking in process at the Airport for my next Camino.

Standing there in my hiking gear, with a few zip lock bags in my pockets.

No luggage Sir?
No.
And where are you going?
Spain.
For how long?
2 months.....

Or the same conversation playing out on landing in Madrid.

It would be like an episode of 'Airport Security'. :)

How we get so used to all our 'stuff'......

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I think it would be very easy to “Reacher” the Camino. No one is going to refuse cash. The “donativo” box in many an Albergue would provide an eclectic clothing range (as would the drying line 😳). If you’re showering most days soap /shampoo are superfluous cosmetics. And if you’re anything like me you can always clean your teeth in a glass of Orujo.

I think the largest euro note is 500, so eu5000 would mean only ten actual notes, or nine + the change after you break the first one. You could donate the discarded clothes to all those nice donativo albergues you stay in and you could sleep under the blankets they provide (assuming they have all resumed their pre-pandemic practices). But I have to ask the question. 'why'?

On another tangent, I haven't read the books. I hope they are better than the film, which I seem to recall involved the use of some quite heavy firearms in its plot development. One would assume this would not form part of the 'Jack Reacher does the camino' project.

I have collected my old undies (elastic almost gone, holes appearing) to use on the flight over to Spain and the first few days of walking, and discarded them once worn. But that only works every few years.

Jack Reacher is a work of fiction. Thank goodness. I already buy too much stuff.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Hey! We could ask Lee Child, or his little brother, to write a Jack Reacher story about the camino . . . the baddies take control of a small town on the meseta . . . the inhabitants live in fear . . . a pilgrim can check out but he can’t leave . . . along comes Jack Reacher who has heard the Call of the Camino . . .
🤣

I have collected my old undies (elastic almost gone, holes appearing) to use on the flight over to Spain and the first few days of walking, and discarded them once worn. But that only works every few years.

Jack Reacher is a work of fiction. Thank goodness. I already buy too much stuff.

I have this mental image of a trail of ...................... :oops:

It would be like an episode of 'Airport Security'.
My wife just said the same thing about my minimalist pack for my upcoming trip! That show (and it’s brethren like To Catch A Smuggler and DangerTV on YouTube) make me feel relieved to have such a small pack if they choose to inspect it.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I think the largest euro note is 500, so eu5000 would mean only ten actual notes, or nine + the change after you break the first one. You could donate the discarded clothes to all those nice donativo albergues you stay in and you could sleep under the blankets they provide (assuming they have all resumed their pre-pandemic practices). But I have to ask the question. 'why'?

On another tangent, I haven't read the books. I hope they are better than the film, which I seem to recall involved the use of some quite heavy firearms in its plot development. One would assume this would not form part of the 'Jack Reacher does the camino' project.
The manufacturing of 500€ notes has been ceased in early 2019.
They will no longer be issued by the national banks.
Reason for that is fighting corruption and money-laundering.

What you may find are still circulating notes in the people’s pockets, which remain valid as legal tender.

Officially the “biggest“ note is now the 200€ note.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
The manufacturing of 500€ notes has been ceased in early 2019.
They will no longer be issued by the national banks.
Reason for that is fighting corruption and money-laundering.
A few days ago I saw notices on the wall of a restaurant near Melide stating that they would not accept 500 euro notes as payment. As far back as 2010 the UK made the buying and selling of 500 euro notes through money exchange offices illegal because it was believed at the time that over 90% of them were being used for illegal transactions.

YES!!! It can totally be done and I think many people do it that way now.
On the forum is may be fun to think about and write about. In reality, and I hate to sound preachy or woke or whatever, it is a colossal waste of resources. A big reason we are in the devastating climate crises is because of the total waste and consumption of industrialized and privileged countries. Believe me I was no angel in past either regarding consumption and waste.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
On the forum is may be fun to think about and write about. In reality, and I hate to sound preachy or woke or whatever, it is a colossal waste of resources. A big reason we are in the devastating climate crises is because of the total waste and consumption of industrialized and privileged countries. Believe me I was no angel in past either regarding consumption and waste.
I've seen many a pilgrim where they have a towel around them or in underwear while they clean their clothes. People walk with sticks instead of poles. So maybe Total Reacher isn't possible but you could easily with a fanny pack (or cargo pants) and a water bottle.

Well, the post was merely a fun post to enliven dreary winter .. but, colossal waste of resources? Four or five sets of cheap clothing? Do you take an aeroplane to get to Camino?

Well, the post was merely a fun post to enliven dreary winter .. but, colossal waste of resources? Four or five sets of cheap clothing? Do you take an aeroplane to get to Camino?
Of course if Alan Ritchson aka Jack Reacher would like to share a pack....I can handle that accommodation and save the planet at the same time...

As I said I am no angel when it comes to this. I may be dumb but it does not take a climate scientist to know that your post was in fun. But I also believe your counterpoint is this type of answer will speed up the inevitable.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Reacher would hike about 60K daily average, two weeks from SJPP, so the answer is yes.

Not sure how many pilgrims would die, but they'd all deserve it.

Reacher would not bother with things like credenciales or compostelanas, and just sleep privately, giving a different name each time.

Doubtless, he'd only catch up with the fugitive at Fisterra, bullets and burning of what needs burning at the foot of the lighthouse.

Epilogue at the Parador in Compostela, alone or with company, depending on how things work out.

Reacher would hike about 60K daily average, two weeks from SJPP, so the answer is yes.

Reacher would not bother with things like credenciales or compostelanas, and just sleep privately, giving a different name each time.

Doubtless, he'd only catch up with the fugitive at Fisterra, bullets and burning of what needs burning at the foot of the lighthouse.

Epilogue at the Parador in Compostela, alone or with company, depending on how things work out.
I absolutely love that post. Yes, last night at the parador with the slim woman he met, then he will get up early and just walk away (again), after dismantling the handguns he took off the first people he killed and dropping them down a drain.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Maybe you should ghost write this edition?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi - I did post this a couple of years ago but thought I would do it again just for fun (can't find the old post).

For those who don't know, the fictional hero, Jack Reacher, is a retired MP major who wanders the US, finds problems and sorts them, sort of a modern Lone Ranger (but without the light blue onesie and mask, and Tonto - actually, no horse either).

discuss .. ;)
I love the idea though I don't remember seeing any second hand or cheap clothes shops. The idea's worth working on just for the freedom of no great heavy backpack. Of course, Jack Reacher doesn't seem to do much walking - he takes buses most of the time...

I love the idea though I don't remember seeing any second hand or cheap clothes shops. The idea's worth working on just for the freedom of no great heavy backpack. Of course, Jack Reacher doesn't seem to do much walking - he takes buses most of the time...
Reacher only rarely gets second hand -- it's mostly cheap throwaway, except for the shoes, that are always top-notch.

And Reacher, when he needs to, hikes excellently, and in any terrain.

If you buy new clothes and bin your old ones every few days, it is certainly a waste of resources. But if you exchange one set of second hand clothes for another set of second hand clothes every few days, then is it really a waste of resources? (Acquiring your "new" clothes from donation bins or second hand shops and leaving your old clothes in the same.)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
As I said I am no angel when it comes to this. I may be dumb but it does not take a climate scientist to know that your post was in fun. But I also believe your counterpoint is this type of answer will speed up the inevitable.
I get the spirit of this. Yes, I fly in a plane too and not just to go on Camino. I live in Montreal and go to visit my daughter on Vancouver Island. However, I deliberately do not own a car and at 75 strategically buy groceries on "delivery" day and only buy clothes second hand. The only thing I buy new are shoes because my feet are pretty big and there is a certain ewww factor to wearing second hand shoes for me. I just bought carbon credits with Air Canada. What actually happens to that money is a mystery to me.

Hey! We could ask Lee Child, or his little brother, to write a Jack Reacher story about the camino . . . the baddies take control of a small town on the meseta . . . the inhabitants live in fear . . . a pilgrim can check out but he can’t leave . . . along comes Jack Reacher who has heard the Call of the Camino . . .
🤣
For much of the book series Reacher doe not have a passport. However in one book, he is recruited by the US Government to help out with a bad guy in the UK, and is given a passport. I do not remember if he keeps it and has it
in later books.

Let's see if we can redo the "violence based solutions" typical of Reacher with a Camino based resolution:

The bad guys are a shady albergue operator in league with a pack thieving gang. After putting up false arrows leading to their lair, they have a group of misdirected pilgrims (Jack included) they are holding for ransom. Jack organizes the hostages and leads them in an overnight super-snoring campaign that deprives the kidnappers of sleep. The following day, it's multiple glasses of wine for lunch, and the bad guys don't stand a chance. Jack leads the pilgrims past the comatose villains and back onto the real Camino. An anonymous call to the Guardia soon comes in from the nearby Parador, where Jack and the romantic partner are relaxing. Fade into the freed pilgrims trekking off into the sunset as the bad guys are driven off in custody!

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
If you buy new clothes and bin your old ones every few days, it is certainly a waste of resources. But if you exchange one set of second hand clothes for another set of second hand clothes every few days, then is it really a waste of resources? (Acquiring your "new" clothes from donation bins or second hand shops and leaving your old clothes in the same.)
Of course it is not a waste. No problem with that solution!!😀

I don't understand the fascination with "Jack Reachering" the Camino. Of course, one can take the approach of going through life using money, physical size and a gun, as your key tools of survival.

Frugality and managing on minimal luggage are things that I admire a lot, but Jack Reacher does not epitomize them!

I enjoy reading exciting novels, including Lee Child's, but they do not strike me as models for Camino behaviour.

I like your synopsis. Now you just need a logline and it’s ready to send to Lee Child’s agent. (I met him once at a book signing in NC. Lee Child is a pen name. In reality he’s a very erudite English gentleman.) My only problem with encouraging this storyline is, knowing the impact The Way has had on the Camino, I shudder to think what the real life consequences of Reacher does the Camino would be 😀

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I don't understand the fascination with "Jack Reachering" the Camino. Of course, one can take the approach of going through life using money, physical size and a gun, as your key tools of survival.

Frugality and managing on minimal luggage are things that I admire a lot, but Jack Reacher does not epitomize them!

I enjoy reading exciting novels, including Lee Child's, but they do not strike me as models for Camino behaviour.

Ah, using Jack Reacher in my o.p. was merely because of how he moves around, no baggage, just a toothbrush - and could we do that. Just some fun.

The comedy tangent spin-offs to an actual Jack Reacher walking the Camino as if it were the next violent novel is just people having fun - and I find it hilarious.

I do think it could be done as in the novels but only if one stayed in small hotels and so on, not in refugios - and crikey! think of the cost of doing that!!! 1200 to 1500 Euros??? But oh, the freedom of no pack!!!

Last edited:

Let's be honest here. . . . a show of hands for those who have suffered near misses, or collisions, from a self-centered bicyclist speeding past, startling you, and fantasized about seeing a Jack Reacher-type dealing with such gomers? ;)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Why bother writing a new Camino intrique novel when there already is one. @Arn pointed us to it two years ago.

A book that takes a different tack on the Camino is “Merchant’s List” by A.N.Caird. It's focus is about twarting an attempt to assassinate Pope Benedict XVI at the Cathedral Holy Year 2010. The characters, over a two year period walk the CF, CP and CI. It's very accurate as to what a pilgrim might experience as they make their Way to SDC.

Last edited:
a show of hands for those who have suffered near misses, or collisions, from a self-centered bicyclist speeding past, startling you, and fantasized about seeing a Jack Reacher-type dealing with such gomers?
I am no angel of compassionate behaviour, but this approach is not what comes to my mind. I am inclined to a tongue-lashing of the schoolmarm or motherly sort.

In fact the Jack, Reacher. method and pilgrim packing, seem exactly the same.
Discard your preconceived packing habits, Ignore social pressure, and just put what you really need in your pocket or in your pack.
I think I remember reacher doing a ATMlsh thing with a bank account.

So keep your cash in your shoe or sock. Only have the clothes on your back, and take the odd swim fully clothed, so make sure you walk in Summer 🤣 tree twigs make great tooth brushes..... so yeah could be done. 🤔🤭

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I watched and mostly liked the Reacher series...and I admit I had the same thoughts about doing the Camino sans just about everything I took...

Fleeting thoughts, they were...

I am no angel of compassionate behaviour, but this approach is not what comes to my mind. I am inclined to a tongue-lashing of the schoolmarm or motherly sort.

You will be our Mom Reacher, and the most likely Reacher to dispense the needed courtesy reminder to any errant bicyclists. :)

So maybe Total Reacher isn't possible but you could easily with a fanny pack (or cargo pants) and a water bottle.
Jack Reacher would never have used a fanny pack! For a start, he was a bloke, and didn't have a fanny.

I suppose you can ……. but why would you want to!!??
I did wonder this, then I thought of some of the indigent pilgrims that were on my first camino. Some of them might have been very close to the Jack Reacher standard. One was a nun, who appeared to be walking in just her habit. I didn't enquire about what she was carrying under that :)

€149,-

discuss .. ;)
Anything is possible, but you will need to carry a lot of cash and what about emergencies if you do not have a credit card? Also if not staying in motels you will need to carry toiletries along with a change of clothes as you may not be able to wash and dry each day and walking around naked whilst your clothes dry is not really a good idea, funny though.

discuss .. ;)
I have run into numerous Albergues that store abandoned clothes and gear and offer it to pilgrims. I lost some shoe and picked up a nice pair that worked well and I still have them . It’s humorous how many sleeping mats are abandoned in the first week of walking.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Let's see if we can redo the "violence based solutions" typical of Reacher with a Camino based resolution:

The bad guys are a shady albergue operator in league with a pack thieving gang. After putting up false arrows leading to their lair, they have a group of misdirected pilgrims (Jack included) they are holding for ransom. Jack organizes the hostages and leads them in an overnight super-snoring campaign that deprives the kidnappers of sleep. The following day, it's multiple glasses of wine for lunch, and the bad guys don't stand a chance. Jack leads the pilgrims past the comatose villains and back onto the real Camino. An anonymous call to the Guardia soon comes in from the nearby Parador, where Jack and the romantic partner are relaxing. Fade into the freed pilgrims trekking off into the sunset as the bad guys are driven off in custody!
I know the reason why Jack chose the Parador to relax in with his romantic partner … they could wear the fluffy white towelling robes these sorts of swanky hotels provide while all their gear was being put through a super-wash in the Parador’s laundry!

I know the reason why Jack chose the Parador to relax in with his romantic partner … they could wear the fluffy white towelling robes these sorts of swanky hotels provide while all their gear was being put through a super-wash in the Parador’s laundry!
Some very traditionally-minded pilgrims walking the 88 temple circuit on Shikoku do more or less the same thing. Walking wearing their only set of lightweight pilgrim clothing and carrying just a small shoulder bag containing the items needed for the temple rituals. They stay in traditional Japanese accommodation - ryokans and minshuku - which always provide a yukata for guests to wear during their stay. The daytime clothes are washed and dried overnight ready for use the next day. An expensive but very lightweight way to travel!

20160407-151219.jpg

I guess the only question is where would you keep all that casI would h?

You are not seriously proposing that people steal from 'drying lines' ... I hope?

“You are not seriously proposing that people steal from 'drying lines' ... I hope?”

Well, I could propose that people seriously do 😳 Even though the resale value of second hand underwear has fallen significantly in these post-Covid years.

But in the context of this thread I don’t think any proposition is to be taken seriously.

€149,-
“You are not seriously proposing that people steal from 'drying lines' ... I hope?”

Well, I could propose that people seriously do 😳 Even though the resale value of second hand underwear has fallen significantly in these post-Covid years.

But in the context of this thread I don’t think any proposition is to be taken seriously.

I think the trick is to take the drying line to use as a belt.

No luggage Sir?
No.
And where are you going?
Spain.
For how long?
2 months.....

Or the same conversation playing out on landing in Madrid.
I went on an unplanned, last minute jaunt across the border into the USA (pre-9/11), and stopped at a department store just before the border to buy underwear and a toothbrush, so my luggage was a plastic shopping bag. The immigration official was befuddled by my lack of plans, luggage and cash. My answer to his question about cash, “You have ATMs, don’t you?” may have been the catalyst for the full vehicle inspection. The possession of a vehicle was likely the only reason he let me in.

A big guy like Jack Reacher would take large sized clothes which take more space but a little guy like Mr Cruise would perhaps be able to put a spare pair of boxers in a pocket. Either should have space in their pocket for a sliver of soap.

It isn't beyond possibilties. We know that sometimes shoes disappear (mistaken identity or outright theft). I have also had pilgrims socks taken, but never personal underwear. The drying line is usually safe unless it is a personal use one that someone has illegally strung up in a bunk room and I can't see Jack having much use for a commercial drying rack as a belt, but maybe for use in the thwarting of bad guys by pinning them or using it as a trip hazard in some way.

€60,-
There was discussion of discarded 'pants' existing along the way (........... 😳) from another recent thread. As long as the kind soles at the albergues are willing to wash, perhaps Jack is not particularly. 🤔

I don't see why not. Maybe without the "finds problems and sorts them." Spain has few (if any) charity shops (thrift stores, for Americans), so frequently buying clothing would crank up the cost. My approach was to wash clothes in the shower or the sink and carry enough to substitute until the other was dry. Of course, that didn't work well if they take a long time to dry due to rain. I once sanitized and put on shoes that a pilgrim had left at an albergue, and threw the previous pair in a charity bin (in Wales—I never saw such a bin in Spain).

I once sanitized and put on shoes that a pilgrim had left at an albergue, and threw the previous pair in a charity bin (in Wales—I never saw such a bin in Spain).
I've never seen a charity shop selling second-hand clothes in Spain either. But I'm surprised you have never come across a collection bin for ropa y calzado. They seem to be quite common and I walked past a number of them in the past month.

Last edited:

€60,-
I opine that someone arriving at an albergue without a rucksack might have a problem establishing they are a "real" pilgrim. Getting a bed might pose a problem. I have never had this situation crop up.

It is possible to wear a vest, a multi-pocketed belt, or a clever jacket to manage to carry enough 'basic' gear to accomplish this. I have considered and thought about this issue a lot. I cannot get beyond lots of cargo type pockets in my pants and jacket, and some sort of haversack, over the shoulder.

A few years back, one of our fellows in this forum was seriously doing Caminos with only a butt / fanny pack, holding no more than about 10 liters. I cannot remember his name, except to recall that I thought he was either British or Irish. Then again - I could be and likely am - wrong.

Then again, is wearing a shoulder harness with a prodigious butt pack, really a low-carry backpack?

Personally, I like carrying less. But, I will always need my two poles. So, doing this in rigid adherence to "Reacher's Rules" is unlikely - at least for me.

That said, I am a fan of the Lee Child book series. Several films have been made here (US) as a mini-series on TV. These shows were very entertaining, especially if one had previously read the books.

Then again, and all considered, does it really matter? Everyone does their own Camino. Still, it is an interesting topic for discussion.

Hope this helps.

Tom

€149,-
My post is only a bit of fun to help while away February... Reacher never seems to carry water, food snacks, first aid items, pocket knife,etc ... So I think his fictional way of living just couldn't be done in the real world. Even Peace Pilgrim, back in the 50s wore a smock with pockets.

I do think it could be done in a Camino way... Smallest pack with water bottles, sleeping bag liner and so on but with water a kilo a litre I can't see walking summer meseta with less than 3 or 4 kilos all in.

But is only fantasy fun post.

I opine that someone arriving at an albergue without a rucksack might have a problem establishing they are a "real" pilgrim. Getting a bed might pose a problem. I have never had this situation crop up.

It is possible to wear a vest, a multi-pocketed belt, or a clever jacket to manage to carry enough 'basic' gear to accomplish this. I have considered and thought about this issue a lot. I cannot get beyond lots of cargo type pockets in my pants and jacket, and some sort of haversack, over the shoulder.

A few years back, one of our fellows in this forum was seriously doing Caminos with only a butt / fanny pack, holding no more than about 10 liters. I cannot remember his name, except to recall that I thought he was either British or Irish. Then again - I could be and likely am - wrong.

Then again, is wearing a shoulder harness with a prodigious butt pack, really a low-carry backpack?

Personally, I like carrying less. But, I will always need my two poles. So, doing this in rigid adherence to "Reacher's Rules" is unlikely - at least for me.

That said, I am a fan of the Lee Child book series. Several films have been made here (US) as a mini-series on TV. These shows were very entertaining, especially if one had previously read the books.

Then again, and all considered, does it really matter? Everyone does their own Camino. Still, it is an interesting topic for discussion.

Hope this helps.

Tom
I actually have a kangaroo jacket, made of all kinds of pockets. Sadly, like many good things, the UK company closed. But I have one.

Honestly though, the OP is looking to have an answer to a more stringent requirement, no pack at all. Outside of a toothbrush and a water canteen on your belt, I do believe it could be done.

And finally, a Peregrino / o, should never be turned away from any Refugio / donativo / albergue as long as they can produce the, “pasaporte.” In reality, that is the only thing that qualifies them to use these facilities, yes?

I love the concept maybe on my seventh Camino I’m hoping for camino number two this year on the norte.
My first Camino two years ago - bored one day -I counted the total number of possessions as 67 with me —-when I finished in Camino I had 11 items that I didn’t need or use once….nor that I miss anything I own back home well over 2000 +items

Make sure to bring my folding toothbrush next Camino!

€149,-
Coming soon (or not) to albergues: vending machines offering disposable garments made from some sort of reasonably-soft cellulose non-woven cloth. They need to be sufficiently durable for one day of walking. Wear once, then deposit into the albergue's bin of fuel to be used to heat water for showers and for fueling the solid-fuel cookstove, etc.

There might be awkward moments when, after showering, one discovers that the vending machine is empty and all of the used garments have been burnt up.

Last edited:
Do you take an aeroplane to get to Camino?

Some intrepid soul has contemplated:
  • putting their stuff (including food for the journey) in a sealable flotation device
  • launching into the ocean about 2 km from home
  • swim pulling the flotation device
Route:
  • Across the ditch
  • Between the Great Bight and Southern Ocean
  • Across the Indian Ocean
  • Around the Cape
  • Up and around into the Bay of Biscay
As feet are used, the Compostela would make interesting reading!

€46,-
Coming soon (or not) to albergues: vending machines offering disposable garments made from some sort of reasonably-soft cellulose non-woven cloth. They need to be sufficiently durable for one day of walking. Wear once, then deposit into the albergue's bin of fuel to be used to heat water for showers and for fueling the solid-fuel cookstove, etc.

There might be awkward moments when, after showering, one discovers that the vending machine is empty and all of the used garments have been burnt up.
I would think a pilgrim like Jack Reichert could just go commando.

Reacher may be a mountain of muscle, but trouble follows that man like a bedbug infestation. His Buen Camino would quickly surface a conspiracy within the local Guardia Civil, a monk with dark secrets, a cheating cafe owner, poisoned tortilla, and a racket selling counterfeit Compeed.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Hope this helps.

Tom
Hi Tom - could it have been Al the optimist? He’s British … from Wolverhampton.
Here’s his post from 2018 in the thread Favourite Luxury Item on Camino which might be the one you remember. Total weight is 3kg - Jack Reacher and a lot of us here on the Forum would be impressed!

A00C7B73-E6AB-4C31-A833-AFDB8EEACAA8.png
The bag is a Sea to Summit day bag. It weighs 35 grams.

Cheers from Oz - Jenny

Last edited:
The basic rule in most albergues is that if you walk in the door and show a credencial, you are accepted as a pilgrim.

We call them 'bum bags', at least some of us do. And please, we do not need any explanations as to why the term 'fanny pack' is ambiguous in many parts of the anglophone community.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hang about, doesn't Jack Reacher remain anonymous by never supplying personal details? And isn't there an even longer (but much less amusing) thread on the very topic of supplying your personal details every time you stay in accommodation in Spain? Just saying.

€60,-

discuss .. ;)
I met an Argentinian guy on 2003 who was walking the CF in this way. He carried a very small pack and would give his clothes to charity after a few days then get some more.

What about simply hand washing your existing one pair of clothing and waiting for it to dry while sitting naked in your sleep sac? 🤔. This would be a lot easier than trying to seek out clothing options at an affordable price and in the correct size in a lot of the barely populated villages in Spain. Plus it’s way more environmentally friendly than tossing out functional clothing simply because you don’t want to wash them.

I SUPPOSE it’s possible, though you’ll need large trouser pockets for the miscellaneous items (soap, sleep sack, hat)
Agreed! When walking the Portuguese Camino in 2019 I failed to pack shirts of any description. I really struggled buying fresh T shirts along the way.

Agreed! When walking the Portuguese Camino in 2019 I failed to pack shirts of any description. I really struggled buying fresh T shirts along the way.
The Argentinian guy that I met who was doing this gave his unwanted stuff to charity / homeless people etc. But yeah I’m sure he struggled to find decent technical clothing in the few and far between second hand shops. I do remember seeing him wear some unusual stuff lol.

In the first series, after taking out the bad guys in someone's house, Jack did avail himself of the laundry while taking a shower before he departed. Jack had difficulty more than once finding a shirt in his size. The average person is not Jack's size. So in the spirit of Reacher, we could solve the laundry challange.

Also, I know it is said that trouble seems to follow Reacher. However, I think he actually finds it while trying to fulfill guidance from his mother. Reacher was told - We can't solve all of the world's problems, but we can fix some of them.

Two quotes from the last two Jack Reacher novels :

Better Off Dead, Chapter 7 : "[...] I started to walk. And I saw a giant stone structure at the side of the highway with an arrow pointing this way. An obelisk. Or a monument. It was covered with carvings and fancy patterns. And it made me curious. I thought, if the sign's that elaborate, what will the town be like?"

No Plan B, Chapter 30 : It would normally take Reacher no more than five minutes to cover half a mile on foot.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
On the other hand: I was over on the Scottish mainland, I live in the Outer Hebrides, last week to give a Camino talk and decided to use my backpack instead of a suitcase and use it as part of a display of Camino things. I was taken by surprise by the joy I felt when putting the backpack on, not just the first time but each time. And, of course, the heady Camino rush of memories.

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back