• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Can you replace pacer pole rubber tips with leki rubber tips?

Portia1

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances 2009, Portuguese 2012
Frances 2016, 2019
The rubber tips on my pacer poles have worn completely thru so that the carbide tips are exposed. I live in the USA so pacer pole replacement parts are not available here. I leave in less than two weeks and wonder if leki rubber tips will work. Thanks.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
It is generally possible to use the pole tips from any maker with any pole that has a 'standard' diameter. So you can use Black Diamond, Leki, Komperdell, Fizan, etc pretty much interchangeably. The Black Diamond Z-poles and some Komperdell poles have a thinner shaft, and tips designed for these poles are not interchangeable with those thicker pole tips.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I needed replacement rubber tips so I took my poles to Rei and found the tips that were the best fit. Since they were not the original manufacturer, I used some super glue to help keep the tips from coming off . That was several years ago ..

If you want brand specific ones, you could order from PP and they would reach you in time - it took five days to get mine to New Zealand.

If you want brand specific ones, you could order from PP and they would reach you in time - it took five days to get mine to New Zealand.
I ordered new tips from Pacer Pole this year, and they also arrived quite quickly, though I don't remember exactly how fast. Fortunately, the PP tips last a long time. Usually at least 1500 km.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
When most of our local tracks closed (to try to stop the spread of a disease killing one of our native trees) I took to doing MUCH more road walking. My tips wear out much more quickly under these circumstances - i’m Lucky to get 200km before they wear through. I have tried all sorts of things to extend their life - all unsuccessful! I really thought stuffing a piece of eraser in the tip when it got thin would work!

Pacer pole tips have the same dimensions as the standard walking pole. I've just now tried switching tips on my pacers, leki trail poles and Alpkit standard poles and they all fit each other. If you think you're going to get through a few tips, and want to save a few $$ then I'd buy generic non-brand ones - I have done that.

I bought a pack of 12 generic rubber tips from eBay for a ridiculously low price. They each have a small metal washer inside to help ease the wear from the carbide tip and fit perfectly. Long lasting too - I still have 7 left! You're looking for any tip that has a 12mm socket although whether some of the fancier designs are worth it or not I don't know.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
The standard inner dimension for almost all pole tips is 12 mm. Some poles (Black Diamond) use a slightly narrower diameter (11 mm). If the tip you have to use is slightly loose, consider a turn or two of duck tape or gorilla tape to 'shim' the difference.

I always carry a partial roll of 1" Gorilla Brand Tape with me for all manner of repairs. This is one 'repair' that I often make for others who lose their original tips to the "mud god." or to wear.

FYI, I buy my pole tips (with inner metal 'washer') in bulk from Amazon. I regularly bring extras to hand out to others. This July, when I traveled to volunteer work at the Pilgrim Office in Santiago, I gave a large supply of these bulk purchase tips to the Pilgrim House for distribution to whoever needed them.

Check this URL to obtain these highly cost effective tips:

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone! My pacer poles have done 2 Camino’s and getting ready for a third.. I hate the clacking sound of poles without tips. I will take them over to EMS and see what works. Knowing that you’ve been able to find replacements is helpful.

Thanks everyone! My pacer poles have done 2 Camino’s and getting ready for a third.. I hate the clacking sound of poles without tips. I will take them over to EMS and see what works. Knowing that you’ve been able to find replacements is helpful.
I would order from Pacer Pole and if they don't arrive on time buy some locally.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
If the tips you get are too big, a little duct tape around your pole tip will adapt in a pinch.

I have tested the Levi and Black Diamond rubber tips and have found that the Black Diamond tips last months longer under my use. My poles are REI carbon fiber, and are made by Komperdell.

The standard inner dimension for almost all pole tips is 12 mm. Some poles (Black Diamond) use a slightly narrower diameter (11 mm). If the tip you have to use is slightly loose, consider a turn or two of duck tape or gorilla tape to 'shim' the difference.
The issue here is to get a good interference fit, ie the rubber tip internal diameter is slightly less than the external diameter of the pole tip. This forces the rubber to expand slightly to grip the shaft. My experience is that 'good' rubber tips that are more difficult to dislodge have an internal diameter of 10 or 11 mm. The couple of times that I have bought rubber tips with a 12 mm internal diameter they have been easily dislodged in soft ground and even just being brushed against vegetation at the side of the track.

As an exercise, I did a quick measure of the diameters of the different poles and rubber tips that I have collected over the years.
PoleStart diameter (mm)Maximum diameter (mm)Length (mm)
Leki (old, ~2001101360
Leki (new, ~201891260
Komperdell91560, but only a short conical section for the increase in diameter
Black Diamond (std)91260
Altus91235
Fizan91260
TipsInternal diameter (mm)Length (mm)Depth to washer (mm)
Black Diamond (old)103525
Black Diamond (new)114232
Leki114035
Altus (walking foot)124536
Swiz (walking foot)11-125032
No name (poss Komperdell or Fizan)124035
No name (Swedish)10.550 (nb some ~ 300km of wear)30

Note that the metal tip at the end of the pole will extend past the washer by 2 or 3 mm for the poles in my collection, the rubber tips that have most rubber depth are the Black Diamond and Swiz rubber tips. Also note that I haven't listed the Black Diamond Z-poles, which have a much smaller diameter (~8 mm). As @t2andreo indicates, these can be adapted to use standard pole tips by wrapping a short length of tape around the pole tip to increase its external diameter.

Edit: I overlooked a pair of rubber tips I bought in Ostersund last year walking the S:t Olavesleden. I would remark that Swedish roads must have specially sharpened aggregate in their road surfaces, and I had already gone through one set of tips and was well on my way to wearing out a second pair when I got to Ostersund. So it was a joy to see these monsters! They provided good service for the remainder of my pilgrimage and clearly have a fair bit of wear left in them.

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I've replaced lost and worn out tips for my pacer poles many times with every brand known and unknown - except for duck feet - which don't work because the handles don't stay aligned. I like Komperdell the best because of the tight fit and long wear. It's good to carry an extra pair in case sticky mud or harsh gravel leave you with exposed carbon clacking every other step.

I put black diamond tips on—nice tight fit. I also have another pair (Komperdells) just in case. Thanks

I always carry a partially roll of 1" Gorilla Brand Tape with me for all manner of repairs. This is one 'repair' that I often make for others who lose their original tips to the "mud god." or to wear.

FYI, I buy my pole tips (with inner metal 'washer') in bulk from Amazon. I regularly bring extras to hand out to others. This July, when I traveled to volunteer work at the Pilgrim Office in Santiago, I gave a large supply of these bulk purchase tips to the Pilgrim House for distribution to whoever needed them.

Check this URL to obtain these highly cost effective tips:

Hope this helps.
You are such a pet, t2andreo!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
The rubber tips on my pacer poles have worn completely thru so that the carbide tips are exposed. I live in the USA so pacer pole replacement parts are not available here. I leave in less than two weeks and wonder if leki rubber tips will work. Thanks.
Yes I brought a spare set of Leki tips I got at REI when I walked the Camino in 2019 and they fit perfectly.

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.