• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Can you stay in the SJPP Albergue the night before you start?

rorygilmore

Time of past OR future Camino
April May 2019 (hopefully! still on the fence!
Hello!

I wanted to book Orisson but it's been several weeks and they haven't gotten back to me and I've kinda given up. It does sounds fun, but I'm already spending a night in Bayonne cos I don't have time to get to SJPP that night (booked my flight into Toulouse, should have planned it better, whoops- the 60€ or so I will save on a flight I'm gonna end up spending on accommodation)

My question is:
Do you think it will be possible to stay in the SJPP municipal Albergue if I arrive, go to the pilgrims office to collect my credential, and then check in for that night? Or would I have to have already walked at least one day?

I don't want to attempt to walk all the way to Roncesvalles if I have to catch the train from Bayonne in the morning, but I think I will be fine if I set our early in the morning from SJPP after sleeping overnight. Seems like a cheaper option than staying in Orisson, and would then have more options to bring snacks/food from SJPP.

But yes. Do you think I would be able to stay in the municipal, or would I have to book a private accom?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
The pilgrim's office is open until 10 pm I think. So if you arrive and are in Saint Jean before that you will have no problem getting a credential.
I am not sure what time the municipal albergue closes, but if it is the busy season it will surely be full by nighttime. I suggest then you make reservations at a private albergue. There are several near the pilgrim's office.

April 25, I'm hoping it will be off peak enough! I'll be getting into SJPP earlier then the Albergue will be open, so I assume I should be able to get a bed, just wasn't sure if I could if I hadn't actually walked yet. Thankyou!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Thankyou! I considered Huntto and might still, but the main thing that is putting me off is the lack of kitchen facilities. I guess if it is only a 5k walk I could bring lunch stuff for the next day though.... thinking about joining the electric coil cult so I can fill my pockets with eggs :D

I wanted to book Orisson but it's been several weeks and they haven't gotten back to me and I've kinda given up.
Check your PayPal account. I've read a couple of reports on FB Camino groups where someone missed the email from Orisson, but found the invoice in their PayPal account. Also, the response will come from Sarl Apathia, with a PayPal invoice.

In the past I received a response from the same email address that I sent the request to, refuge.orisson@wanadoo.fr, letting me know that they had room for me and that I would be receiving another email with the PayPal invoice. This year, the only confirmation I got was the PayPal invoice.

Also in the past I only waited less than a week to hear back. This year it was about 2 weeks.

I do not know your physical abilities, but if you spend the night in Saint Jean and wake up early the next morning you can easily walk all the way to Roncesvalles and bypass staying in Orisson. That is what most pilgrims do anyway. Leave Saint Jean around 7 am and get to Roncesvalles by 4 pm no problem.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
April 25, I'm hoping it will be off peak enough! I'll be getting into SJPP earlier then the Albergue will be open, so I assume I should be able to get a bed, just wasn't sure if I could if I hadn't actually walked yet. Thankyou!
The last week of April and the first week of May are very busy leaving SJPP. May Day long weekend can get crazy.

In 2017 I arrived in SJPP late in the afternoon on 4/7, no reservations. Got my Passport, checked into the municipal albergue (just up the street), left at 6:30 am and arrived in Roncesvalles by 5pm. It was a killer, I was 75 yrs in moderately good shape. The toughest day, by far, all way to Muxia.

Thankyou!
I have done the France way twice in the last two years both times I booked ahead there are many places to stay from 12-15 euros. this time in April My daughter and I will be in St jean, and stay the night before setting off in the morning I have not booked anything as there is a lot to choose from. As we will be there mid day If you are saying that you will get to st jean, late at night then that is a different issue. It is a wonderful way to start your Camino with a day in st jean,. There is only one rule have faith in yourself and faith in the reason you are there. Orrisson is not as nicer place as you would think I stayed there last time was not good. but that is only my opinion. If you would like more info private message me. It is important you stay focused and positive. Good luck God bless.

In 2017 I arrived in SJPP late in the afternoon on 4/7, no reservations. Got my Passport, checked into the municipal albergue (just up the street), left at 6:30 am and arrived in Roncesvalles by 5pm. It was a killer, I was 75 yrs in moderately good shape. The toughest day, by far, all way to Muxia.
TVS it is a killer I did it at 68 when I got to the monastry they told me to sit down befor I fell down. We both know what it is like.mmm

Thankyou! I considered Huntto and might still, but the main thing that is putting me off is the lack of kitchen facilities. I guess if it is only a 5k walk I could bring lunch stuff for the next day though.... thinking about joining the electric coil cult so I can fill my pockets with eggs :D
Rory-- the farm at Huntto serves dinner and also a good breakfast to get you started. I had stayed both at Huntto and at Orisson -- different experiences with each. Orisson is more like a private albergue. Huntto is more like a true French farm B&B. More privacy at Huntto and solitude to catch up on sleep the night before starting out.

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I'd like some recommendations about where to find the most current and up to date information about albergues that are actually open. I'm currently walking the camino Frances, and I can't even...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back