• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Can you use an albergue but not stay the night?

Anne100

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino del Norte, Sept.-Nov. (2013)
Can you pay/donate, take a shower, wash some clothes, get your credencial stamped then... instead of sleeping in the albergue, 1) put up a tent outside (when permitted) or 2) move on and wild camp? Are you obligated to sleep there to get the other services and get your credencial stamped?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Anne100 said:
Are you obligated to sleep there to get the other services and get your credencial stamped?
There are no rules concerning these issues as far as I know. I would assume that the occasions might be rare. :cry: Much would depend upon what the hospitaleros feel about this, considering day times, the number of people, the anticipated influx of potential pilgrims (who have obvious priority), etc. :|

Depends on the hospitelero/a, what temperement they have and what kinda day they are having. I camped outside of the Albergue in Soto de luina and the responce i got was 'Muy Bien'. There will be a few you have the possibility of camping outside, the ones which have outside areas are Twelve tribes in San Sebastian, Orio, one in Zumia, one on the way out of Zarutz, pobena, islares,guemes, santillana del mar - there are two albergues here the one on the campsite,San Vincente de la Barquerra - if Luis is in a good mood and doesnt take a dislike to you -the score stands at 1-1 with me, la isla, camping deva before Gijon, Cavadeo, Pinera, Tapia, Ribadeo, Gontan, Baamonde, Miraz, Sabrado dox Monxes. There is probably a few more that you could pitch your tent outside, have a shower and maybe use the cooking facilties. The only way you are going to find out for sure is if you turn up. Be really interested in your expereince if you do it, would make for very good info on here for future peregrinos.

Good Luck

Mike

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Thanks, fraluchi and mikevasey. Looks like I'll just need to be polite and charming. :) There isn't a lot of information about this online, I'll be taking notes as I go and posting it when I get back.

You are out of date, notices on every albergues, if Not staying No Showers, no washing , no using of toilets, and I can assure they mean what they say, no problem with stamp, Stella, Buen camino, if camping why not use camping sites, they do have one in most towns,

mad galway man said:
You are out of date, notices on every albergues, if Not staying No Showers, no washing , no using of toilets

Why would that be? Wouldn't the albergue owners come out ahead if people paid but didn't sleep inside the albergue?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I have never seen a sign on the issue, but the operators can do as they please. The public can use the restrooms in a bar or restaurant as a matter of law!

In Ribadiso da Baixo we stayed in the Xunta albergue but the kitchen was not equipped and we had food to prepare. We asked kindly and could use the kitchen of the other (private) albergue. When asked nicely, anything is possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Camino de Santiago Forum mobile app

I have a friend who did this a few times, and he had no issues. He brought a tent but used albergues to clean up, and moved on.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
We have done this when we thought we had finished for the day but then got a second wind and decided to go on to the next town/village. We had intended to stay but left telling the hospitalero early in the afternoon so there was plenty of time to fill our bunks.

I was actually on the Camino Frances, but I did this once as well. Having walked from Calzadilla (roughly 24.5 km), I got into Mansilla about 2PM, and checked in (fully expecting I was done for the day). After a shower and resting for a while, I decided at around 6:15 PM that I would keep going.

The only thing I would suggest is to let staff know you are moving on, particularly when things are busy.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Most read last week in this forum

I walked the Camino Francés in Octobee 2022, from Villafranca del Bierzo to Santiago de Compostela, and loved it. I would like to walk the Camino del Norte as I'm drawn to the coast, culture and...
Hello everyone. I know that pre-booking accommodation has been discussed many, many times, so apologies but I wanted to be quite specific. We are walking from Irún to Bilbao in the first week of...
Hello! I am visiting Northern Spain for the first time this June and would am planning on hiking a small segment of the Camino. I've done a little research and decided to hike between Zarautz and...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back