• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Canada to Irun start

SandyLeone

Time of past OR future Camino
Spring 2015
Hi Pilgrims that are and will be - My daughter-in-law and I will walking part of the Del Norte this summer. I'm wondering what is the best travel option to get to the start from Vancouver, Canada to Irun. So far I've heard travel to Paris and take the fast train to Irun (seems out of the way). I've also noticed there is an international airport in Santander but then would need to get back to Irun. Any other suggestions! Thank you in advance.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi Sandy

Each time I have done the Camino, I gave flown from Vancouver to Paris arriving early in the morning, early enough to catch the fast TGV. I would recommend the same.

If you arrive late in Paris or you want to simply see Paris, I understand that there is a night train to Irun too.

It might be possible to catch a flight from Paris to say Bilbao but this requires backtracking and it also means you won't be in Irun any time sooner. Ditto with going to Mardrid or London first.

The airports available along the Norte (Bilbao, Santander) are very small and have limited flights. I have flown from Seattle to Frankfurt to Bilbao....but then walked the Primitivo..
We took a bus from Madrid when we walked the Norte. Not the best way unless the flights and prices route you that way.

The backtracking to Irun from Bilbao would be on the small narrow gage train that runs along the coast. More like a metro or subway train.

The train from Paris is very good and an experience for those of us on the Pacific Coast who do not get much chance to experience real train rides.
It could be an addition to your Camino adventure.

The schedules may be the best decision maker as to which is best.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi, Sandy,
I would check out the option of flying into Bilbao (Vancouver-Madrid-Bilbao). I sing this song every time I post on threads involving airplane tickets, but I have frequently found that the cost of a multi-city or open jaw ticket from the US is no more expensive than flying round trip into Madrid. I've flown into Bilbao twice from Madrid, once for the Norte and once for the Olvidado and it worked great. I was in the center of Bilbao by shortly after noon or 1 pm, after arriving in Barajas in the morning, transferring to the domestic terminal for the Bilbao flight, and then getting the airport bus from the Bilbao airport to the center. It was a snap. For the Norte, I took a bus from Bilbao to Irun -- they are (or were at least in 2006) frequent.

If adding the Madrid-Bilbao segment adds too much to the airplane cost, getting to Irun from Madrid is not hard. There are four ALSA buses a day from the airport at T4. Trains from Atocha, which is easy to get to from Barajas.

The other thing to consider is how easy it till be to get to your point of departure from wherever you wind up on the Norte!

Buen camino, Laurie

Hi Sandy,

Here's the dream itinerary, which I've been fortunate to fly once before (but from Portland): an open-jaws flight, going into San Sebastian airport and out of Santiago de Compostela. Only one airline partnership can do this--Iberia/BA/AA--but fortunately they operate out of Vancouver. The San Sebastian airport is actually located right between Irún and Hondarribia--it's possible to walk out the front door and start your Camino!

You're unlikely to have that route offer the lowest price, but the question is how much you value the convenience. This summer, I'll be doing something a bit clunkier, flying WestJet to London. (WestJet newly flies to London this summer and connects in Calgary, so you may find a very low airfare with them--mine was just $800 in late June!) From there, I purchased a one-way ticket between Gatwick and Bilbao. I'll travel back from Santiago or Madrid to London (TBD.)

Flying into London seems to be much cheaper than other European destinations, at least at this point in the summer fare-buying season from the western US. I used flights.google.com to run a bunch of different options to both get to London and then connect from there to Spain.

Dave

Hi, Sandy,
I would check out the option of flying into Bilbao (Vancouver-Madrid-Bilbao). I sing this song every time I post on threads involving airplane tickets, but I have frequently found that the cost of a multi-city or open jaw ticket from the US is no more expensive than flying round trip into Madrid. I've flown into Bilbao twice from Madrid, once for the Norte and once for the Olvidado and it worked great. I was in the center of Bilbao by shortly after noon or 1 pm, after arriving in Barajas in the morning, transferring to the domestic terminal for the Bilbao flight, and then getting the airport bus from the Bilbao airport to the center. It was a snap. For the Norte, I took a bus from Bilbao to Irun -- they are (or were at least in 2006) frequent.

If adding the Madrid-Bilbao segment adds too much to the airplane cost, getting to Irun from Madrid is not hard. There are four ALSA buses a day from the airport at T4. Trains from Atocha, which is easy to get to from Barajas.

The other thing to consider is how easy it till be to get to your point of departure from wherever you wind up on the Norte!

Buen camino, Laurie
I did not think there were any direct flights from Vancouver to Madrid. All I have ever seen, gateway through Paris, Amsterdam or Frankfurt before arriving in Madrid. This means normally a late afternoon arrival in Madrid before catching either a connecting flight or bus to Bilbao.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I did not think there were any direct flights from Vancouver to Madrid. All I have ever seen, gateway through Paris, Amsterdam or Frankfurt before arriving in Madrid. This means normally a late afternoon arrival in Madrid before catching either a connecting flight or bus to Bilbao.
I should never voice an opinion or give a suggestion about Canada, since I know nothing about flights there. :p

Hi Sandy,

Here's the dream itinerary, which I've been fortunate to fly once before (but from Portland): an open-jaws flight, going into San Sebastian airport and out of Santiago de Compostela. Only one airline partnership can do this--Iberia/BA/AA--but fortunately they operate out of Vancouver. The San Sebastian airport is actually located right between Irún and Hondarribia--it's possible to walk out the front door and start your Camino!

You're unlikely to have that route offer the lowest price, but the question is how much you value the convenience. This summer, I'll be doing something a bit clunkier, flying WestJet to London. (WestJet newly flies to London this summer and connects in Calgary, so you may find a very low airfare with them--mine was just $800 in late June!) From there, I purchased a one-way ticket between Gatwick and Bilbao. I'll travel back from Santiago or Madrid to London (TBD.)

Flying into London seems to be much cheaper than other European destinations, at least at this point in the summer fare-buying season from the western US. I used flights.google.com to run a bunch of different options to both get to London and then connect from there to Spain.

Dave
This maybe a good option too providing you have enough between the time you arrive in Gatwick and catch the connecting flight to Bilbao. Likewise you can catch an easyjet flight from Santiago to Gatwick and hopefully connect to s Westjet flight back to Vancouver.

I should never voice an opinion or give a suggestion about Canada, since I know nothing about flights there. :p

I misread your previous post and I thought you had found a flight Vancouver-Madrid-Billbao But I guess not.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Re the Vancouver to Gatwick option with Westjet....

I should add that Ryanair does not fly to Billbao

Easyjet flies there but departs only from London Stansted not Gatwick. As per their site you need a three hour connection time between Gatwick and Stansted.

Thinking this over more I would recommend the following:

Vancouver to Paris with Air Transit (one way)
Train to Irun via the TVG (book online in advance to get the better prices)

Santiago to Gatwick via EasyJet (one way)
Gatwick to Vancouver either with Westjet or Air Transit (one way)

Vueling flies direct from Gatwick to Bilbao, so that's the best option if you want to stay in Gatwick. The second-best option from Gatwick is to fly into Bordeaux. Airfare on BA is pretty reasonably priced on that route. The travel time from Bordeaux to Hendaye is comparable to the time from Bilbao to Irún.

You could also consider a Stansted-Biarritz flight.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I personally would fly into Madrid (MAD) and then take the short Iberia flight to San Sebastián (EAS). It's on an ATR-72 which is a 50 person or so turboprop. Very fun for the adventurous flyer bored with those lame widebody jets!

This is super convenient and hassle free. The San Sebastián airport is actually closer to Irun than San Sebastián, and if I recall it was a quick $15 or so cab ride to the little hotel I stayed in my night in Irun.

On summer, you can fly twice a week from Vancouver to Biarritz changing planes in London (Heathrow) with British Airways. Once in Biarritz, you can take a train to Hendaye and walk or take a taxi from Hendaye to Irún (on the other side of the river) or take a local Euskotren from Hendaye to Irún (the Euskotren departs from a train station on the parking of the SNCF train station).

Airlines flying from Vancouver to Bilbao with just a single change of planes include: Air France (changing planes in Paris CDG), KLM (changing planes in Amsterdam) and British Airways (changing planes in London Heathrow). Once in Bilbao, you can take a bus to Irún with Alsa (www.alsa.es/en).

I don't know what are your plans after your camino but how to get back to your home town is something relevant (unless you don't plan to go back home). If you plan to return to Vancouver right after finishing your camino, to make it with a ticket issued by British Airways would mean two changes of planes along the route and to make it with a ticket issued by Air France or by KLM would mean not only two changes of planes along the route but departing from A Coruña airport because they don't offer options out of Santiago de Compostela.

Iberia codeshares the route from Vancouver to Bilbao (changing planes in LHR) with British Airways and codeshares the route from A Coruña to LHR with Vueling. Therefore you could get an open-jaw ticket with Iberia outbound: Vancouver-Bilbao; inbound A Coruña-Vancouver even though Iberia doesn't operate any of the fligths you would take. Take a look at the web of Iberia for info about fares. That's a convinient option because involves just a single change of planes both outbound and inbound and it's all ticketed together so if you miss some flight due to a delay or cancelation of the previous flight the airline(s) must search an alternative to get you home. To get from Bilbao to Irún is an easy bus ride (see above the web of the bus company). To get from Santiago de Compostela to Coruña is an easy bus or train ride; pick your choice. There are buses too from Bilbao airport to downtown Bilbao as well as from downtown A Coruña to A Coruña airport.

If you choose to make separate bookings (e.g.: a booking from Santiago de Compostela to London and another one from London to Vancouver), don't forget to allow yourself enough time to get your connection because if you miss it by any reason, you would have to look on the spot for alternatives to get from London to Vancouver and, most likely, it won't be cheap at all.

P.S.: A Coruña airport IATA code: LCG
Bilbao airport IATA code: BIO
Biarritz airport IATA code: BIQ

Last edited by a moderator:
When are you planning to start @SandyLeone ? I shall walk el Norte this year, but perhaps a bit earlier than you - starting late April. I guess we are destined not to meet again.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Hi Sandy

Each time I have done the Camino, I gave flown from Vancouver to Paris arriving early in the morning, early enough to catch the fast TGV. I would recommend the same.

If you arrive late in Paris or you want to simply see Paris, I understand that there is a night train to Irun too.

It might be possible to catch a flight from Paris to say Bilbao but this requires backtracking and it also means you won't be in Irun any time sooner. Ditto with going to Mardrid or London first.

Thank you for your reply. It is helpful to see the many ways of getting to the beginning. I walked the Portuguese Camino this May/June and then spent a week in Paris, so I have no need to "see" Paris this time, been there, done it.

When are you planning to start @SandyLeone ? I shall walk el Norte this year, but perhaps a bit earlier than you - starting late April. I guess we are destined not to meet again.
We will fly out June 30 and depending on flights should be walking by July 2nd. I am considering the EPW for 2017, heard of that one Maggie? I'll be sorry to miss you again, but wish you another buen camino :eek:)

I personally would fly into Madrid (MAD) and then take the short Iberia flight to San Sebastián (EAS). It's on an ATR-72 which is a 50 person or so turboprop. Very fun for the adventurous flyer bored with those lame widebody jets!

This is super convenient and hassle free. The San Sebastián airport is actually closer to Irun than San Sebastián, and if I recall it was a quick $15 or so cab ride to the little hotel I stayed in my night in Irun.
Thank you Damien, another good suggestion!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
The airports available along the Norte (Bilbao, Santander) are very small and have limited flights. I have flown from Seattle to Frankfurt to Bilbao....but then walked the Primitivo..
We took a bus from Madrid when we walked the Norte. Not the best way unless the flights and prices route you that way.

The backtracking to Irun from Bilbao would be on the small narrow gage train that runs along the coast. More like a metro or subway train.

The train from Paris is very good and an experience for those of us on the Pacific Coast who do not get much chance to experience real train rides.
It could be an addition to your Camino adventure.

The schedules may be the best decision maker as to which is best.
Thank you for your suggestions. I must admit I've never been on "a real train". It's tempting!

The "real train" would be from Paris....the narrow gage train along the coast (Norte Route) is a lot like a streetcar.

Last edited:
While I am quite certain that you can't fly direct from Vancouver to Madrid, you can avoid the European hubs if Madrid is your destination of choice. We have utilized Air Canada (in August) twice now and have flown Victoria to Toronto and Toronto to Madrid. You end up arriving around noon in Madrid which is perfect for arranging connections onward.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
You can fly YVR to EAS (San Sebastian) then SCQ (Santiago) to YVR on American Airlines for about $1200. They're not direct flights, but you'll get there without the hassle of trying to arrange ground transportation. Also, if you book it this way and one of the flights is delayed, they'll get you there without any additional costs.

I flew from Regina to London Heathrow via Toronto, then took the train from London through Paris (transfer in Paris) to Irun. A long train ride (overnight), but helped me with my jetlag. I'm not sure I would do that again, but it was a thrilling adventure to spend the night in the train, going through the Chunnel (which has always fascinated me), and it wasn't a difficult set of transfers.
The messy part was arriving in Irun on a Sunday morning - pretty much everything was closed.

San Sebastian is a beautiful city - next time I walk the camino I may fly in and start there (thanks to those above to mentioned that it has an airport.)

If I may, there is no such thing as having spent a week in Paris and "having done it". In my uni years I wpuld end 3 weeks there every year and still am far from "having done it". As for the "real train" I'm assuming we are talking TGV?

I have flown through Paris and taken the TGV. While it may take longer than a short haul flight to Bayonne etc., it does allow you to manage jetlag. But next time I may try the shorthaul flight.

When walking the Norte from San Seb I flew Air Transat (discout charter for those not from Canada) to Barcelona. Arrived there noonish, toured around a bit to get my credencial and over jetlag, and the next morning took a train (7hours?) to San Seb. I didn't mind the delay getting to San Seb because I wanted to visit Barcelona again and the flight was a great price from Montreal, and did not go too far East to Frankfurt like Air Canada flights do.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hello - I would fly British Airways from Seattle airport to Paris CDG airport or Bordeaux airport...if Paris CDG airport there is an overnight train to Bayonne train station or an Easyjet flight to Biarritz airport (Bayonne and Biarritz are almost the same town)...if Bordeaux airport there are many daily commuter trains to Bayonne train station but note in London you may have to take the airport shuttle between Gatwick and Heathrow airports or stay overnight...from Bayonne train station you can take a commuter train to Hendaye train station and walk across the bridge to Irun to start your camino adventure...likewise from Biarritz airport you can walk to take a bus to the to the Bayonne train station to Hendaye train station and then Irun...or for more camino adventure you can hike the 40+ km camino trail between Bayonne or Biarritz and Irun but on the actual camino trail you will miss seeing all of the great beaches, vistas, and coastal towns (2x Camino Trail Maps Enclosed)...but for even more adventure from Bayonne train station consider crossing the bridge and walking up the Adour river (Avenue de l'Adour) and then start hiking the beach boardwalks towards Biarritz to the scenic outlook at Rocher de la Vierge (1x City Map Enclosed)...likewise from Biarritz airport you can hike or take a bus to Biarritz and then hike to the scenic outlook at Rocher de la Vierge...then from Biarritz hike the beach boardwalks to Bidart to start the 25+ km Coastal Trail to Hendaye for a great start to your camino adventure. (3x Coastal Trail Hiking Trail Maps Enclosed...and there is a fourth Coastal Trail map from Pasaia to Donostia that did not upload because it is too large that you can search for online) - Buen Camino

Attachments

• 0) Biarritz Plan Touristique.pdf
    1.2 MB · Views: 5
  • 1) Bidart to St Jean de Luz.pdf
    1.3 MB · Views: 4
  • 2) Saint Jean de Luz to Hendaye.pdf
    1.6 MB · Views: 6
  • 3) Hondarribi to Pasaia.pdf
    1.7 MB · Views: 4
  • A) Bayonne to SJL.pdf
    660.2 KB · Views: 4
  • B) SJL to Hendaye.pdf
    587.7 KB · Views: 2
The airport to fly into is San Sebastian. San Sebastian airport is located in Irun .
It is served by Iberia Airlines. After landing in EAS (San Sebastian Airport) you are a thirty minute walk or 2K to the Albergue. There is no need for a taxi or bus; just exit the airport and go left and make like a peregrina. The albergue de peregrinos (6e) is located by everything a pilgrim needs (markets,stores, restaurants,bars). Get a good night rest, you'll need it if going to San Sebastian the next day.

Tip: the best way I have found to get into San Sebastian airport is through Madrid. When booking your flight, price it out from YYC to EAS and YYC to MAD. If they are charging over a 100e more to get to EAS then buy your ticket direct through Iberia. Super tip: Iberia charges a lot for one way tickets. Purchase the round trip with no intention of using the return. Super duper tip: play around with the return dates until you find a 20 some dollar return; then buy your ticket. If your buying a ticket from MAD to EAS more than three months out you should easily pay less than 100e for the whole enchilada. Super duper awesome tip: do not pay extra for luggage. If you have a back pack, just carry it with you. When you board the plane in MAD, they have baggage handlers who will take your pack and put it in the storage pit of your plane before you walk up the stairs. These are 50-70 seat planes and they have very little overhead storage. I find Iberia relaxed on luggage size requirements compared to some low cost carriers.

Last edited:
I'm doing the North in April, and I'm going to Irun via Toulouse, Lourdes to Irun it's a short train ride from Lourdes or Toulouse

Zzotte

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
And its airport codes are IATA: EAS and ICAO: LESO for those using that type of search. Buen Camino, SY

And its airport codes are IATA: EAS

Now, I'm going to be pendant and I apologize in advance to anyone that may dislike it. The airport code EAS comes from Easo; a name given to San Sebastián in the past because it was thought a former Roman town named Oiasso was located where nowadays' San Sebastián is located. Later research suggested that Oiasso was really located where nowadays Irún is located.

Easo isn't used nowadays as a name for San Sebastián except in the expression La Bella Easo (the beautiful Easo) that is still sometimes used in some contexts to refer to San Sebastián by Castilian speakers (it could be considered a nickname of the city). In Basque, La Bella Easo=Hiriari Easo. In Basque, San Sebastián=Donostia (official name) or, colloquialy, Donosti. BTW, La Bella Easo is also a well-known brand of madeleines and other similar breakfast products.;)

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Sigh, I agree, but that are still the international airport codes in use. Buen Camino, SY

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Castilian, who was tempted to explain how are given/made the IATA codes, shuts up to avoid making the thread even more off topic and to avoid pissing so much as to lose all his mineral salts. He also apologizes for the off-topic posts.:oops:

And, of course, he also apologizes once again to anyone who didn't like my two previous posts on this thread and/or who find them unnecessary, pedant or whatever other not good thing.

Hi Pilgrims that are and will be - My daughter-in-law and I will walking part of the Del Norte this summer. I'm wondering what is the best travel option to get to the start from Vancouver, Canada to Irun. So far I've heard travel to Paris and take the fast train to Irun (seems out of the way). I've also noticed there is an international airport in Santander but then would need to get back to Irun. Any other suggestions! Thank you in advance.
Sandy I 've done this route twice and both times from Madrid to Irun by train. I am partial to Madrid and therefore the reason why my starting point. I did the same this year. I believe it's imperative to start from Irun the section along there once you reach the coast is breath taking enjoy.

Castilian, who was tempted to explain how are given/made the IATA codes, shuts up to avoid making the thread even more off topic and to avoid pissing so much as to lose all his mineral salts. He also apologizes for the off-topic posts.:oops:

And, of course, he also apologizes once again to anyone who didn't like my two previous posts on this thread and/or who find them unnecessary, pedant or whatever other not good thing.

@Castilian This forum has an illustrious history of threads going off topic and enjoying it ;-) Un abrazo fuerte, SY

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I am not male ... *Runs, ducks, hides and hides again in a very hidden spot*. Buen Camino from the depth of my heart to everybody here, no matter who and where you are, SY
what ever happened to the "She-wee"? It allows us to play as well o_O

I have done it twice - the first time Vancouver to Paris return (2011) for C$850 the second time Vancouver to Bilbao return (2013) for C$1150. Either is good. ;-)

You can fly YVR to EAS (San Sebastian) then SCQ (Santiago) to YVR on American Airlines for about $1200. They're not direct flights, but you'll get there without the hassle of trying to arrange ground transportation. Also, if you book it this way and one of the flights is delayed, they'll get you there without any additional costs.

That is a great price! Good find!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hi SandyLeone.
In May 2014 I did YVR Vancouver to Amsterdam and connected the same day with a flight to Madrid. Overnight stay close to bus station in Madrid and caught a 5 or 6 hour bus ride to Irun, where I stayed at the Hostel which is a donativo (great spot!). Advantage of this type of arrangement is getting a couple of days before you start walking to accommodate some of the jetlag.

I hope you will have a blast as I did last year ?

Buen Camino !

Peter

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Try an open-jaw/ multicity from Vancouver to San Sebastian, Spain (arrive about 1 pm) then Santiago de Compastelo to Vancouver with www.smartfares.com. I did it from Albuquerque NM this year for $776 total airfare which was only $56 more than Madrid return. Walk from the San Sebastian Airport to Hendaye, France Train station, about a 20-30 minute walk and catch the two daily trains 9:30 am and 5:30 pm to Bayone and then Saint Jean Pied de Port.

From Hendaye to Bayonne there are many TER line 61 local trains throughout the day roughly every half hour. At Bayonne take a TER line 62 train to SJPdP. Seats are not reserved on either line. For more info in French see http://www.ter.sncf.com/aquitaine/horaires/recherche

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

I walked the Camino Francés in Octobee 2022, from Villafranca del Bierzo to Santiago de Compostela, and loved it. I would like to walk the Camino del Norte as I'm drawn to the coast, culture and...
Hello everyone. I know that pre-booking accommodation has been discussed many, many times, so apologies but I wanted to be quite specific. We are walking from Irún to Bilbao in the first week of...
Hello! I am visiting Northern Spain for the first time this June and would am planning on hiking a small segment of the Camino. I've done a little research and decided to hike between Zarautz and...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.