• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Canadian Alternative for 2020

• Thread starter Deleted member 43985
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 43985

With so much uncertainty around walking in Spain this year, here is an interesting alternative for Canadians (and anyone able to visit Canada in the current reality) that just happens to be pretty close to the same distance as the Camino Frances!

Vancouver Island Trail

There are so many amazing places along this west coast island trail but of course, you will need to carry your own Albergue (aka tent) and food for the stretches between towns.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
With so much uncertainty around walking in Spain this year, here is an interesting alternative for Canadians (and anyone able to visit Canada in the current reality) that just happens to be pretty close to the same distance as the Camino Frances!

Vancouver Island Trail

There are so many amazing places along this west coast island trail but of course, you will need to carry your own Albergue (aka tent) and food for the stretches between towns.
There is also The Island Walk on Prince Edward Island - no tent required.

There is also The Island Walk on Prince Edward Island - no tent required.

I may be biased (read as I’m from Vancouver Island so am totally biased) but the variety and beauty of this trail makes it a top choice ;)

but am sure if the PEI walk goes anywhere near the red cliffs it would be spectacular too.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I’ve been looking at the Island Walk, also the East Coast Trail, but as both currently have 14 day self isolation, have decided for this year to focus at home in Alberta. Fortunately many great options until travel is safer.

@Parksville; if you're still touching base with the Forum, have you tackled any of this trail?
I'll email you too...been meaning to for ages anyway! 🤗
👣 🌏

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I’ve driven around much of PEI and I think this walk would be wonderful. I also recall seeing some ‘inland‘ pathways on the old railway lines.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
We call those "rails to trails" and some portions of the "Walk around the Island" are on those. My only concern with the Island walk are the mosquitoes. They seem to find me quite appetizing.

And also the Bruce Trail from Niagara Falls to Tobermory, or the other way around, 890 km and 400 km of associated trails, with a lot more amenities along the way, but no hostel culture, really.

I hiked the West Coast Trail (Port Renfrew to Bamfield) on Vancouver Island some years ago. It's a really nice walk, with both beach and forest alternatives -- depending on the tide in some cases. One of the best features is camping on the beach and building a campfire from driftwood, which is in great piles and perfectly dry. You can make an EPIC campfire.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
If I were a camper I could be on the PCT in twenty minutes, but it's no substitute for the Camino for me. I did walk a few PCT miles a couple of weeks ago and met several through hikers. I wanted to tell them Buen Camino! 😊
I agree, @trecile. I have been to many of our absolutely beautiful mountainous national parks in the USA and done some hiking, but they are no substitute for the Camino.

I seem to recall reading that there is a village to village route along the south shore of the St Lawrence River in Quebec, east of Quebec City/Levi.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Yes there is a Camino here in the Eastern Townships.

I have spent time in gorgeous Banff, but no long distance hiking for me there...between carrying a tent, food, and my bear phobia, I say "no thanks".
My wife said she wasn’t at all scared of bears... I asked her if she actually thought she was fast enough to outrun a bear??!! She said no, but I’m fast enough to outrun you so that’s all that matters :)))

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
My wife said she wasn’t at all scared of bears... I asked her if she actually thought she was fast enough to outrun a bear??!! She said no, but I’m fast enough to outrun you so that’s all that matters :)))
I am going to Banff for a short hike in a few days. It is a little challenging to go alone and have to carry everything, including bear spray, of course. But surely if your wife went with you she could get you to carry a generous share of the gear. And this would make her even better able to outrun you, if necessary. Unless the bear thought her the tastier target.

I've got news for your wife. According to this article, her tactic won't work.
Well, I read the article, but it was a little intimidating, since by Wednesday I shall be in their home territory, and walking alone, as always. My last couple of encounters with a bear were not very frightening, but that does not mean that they were not dangerous. When a very large bear wandered past my picnic table while I was eating my lunch, I ought to have been afraid. Maybe bears are just not fond of vegetarian food, or of vegetarians as food.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I've got news for your wife. According to this article, her tactic won't work.
I’ve had the Fortune/misfortune of having had several very close encounters with Grizzlies in northern BC and wouldn’t actually try the ’run faster than your friend/spouse’ tactic. For one thing, the fact that I was frozen with fear pretty much eliminated the running part. Second, even if I could have run, I’m sure the overwhelming need to spontaneously eliminate my bowels I immediately experienced caused me to clench my legs together like a vice on a workbench, again negating any run option... now I just stick to walking the Camino, much less scary and messy...

Just back from a spectacular week on the East Coast Trail. Perfect weather - great sea breeze. Ferryland's cobblestone road (circa 1621) at the archeological site, then to the lighthouse to watched a dozen Humpback whales feeding on Caplin was the highlight. Saw full tail waves and could hear their spouts blow. Stunning!

Even saw an iceberg (berg in Ferryland last year) on a side trip to the UNESCO Viking settlement at L'ance-aux-meadows. My wife says "All of Newfoundland is like a park". Just fantastic!

Hoping to walk Grand Manan, Campobello and Deer Islands next week, before walking across PEI in September. All the time we'll be pining to finish the Frances and the Camino Del Norte.

I may seriously consider a section of this trail next Summer if we still don't have the freedom to travel carefree? I live in Vancouver so very little effort needed to reach the trail. Even if I do, I am sure this will be a poor second best to the Camino seeing as I prefer towns, villages, bars, restaurants, hotels, albergues, history, culture, trying to speak Spanish and connecting with others along the way. Of course my thoughts are trivial in comparison to the virus status we have at present.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I was supposed to go to Banff for a hiking holiday tomorrow, but my friend, who was driving, has cancelled. So I may not get out this summer, unless I put a lot of energy into trying to make alternative transportantion arrangements, which aren't looking too good this year.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back