• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Canadian : August 30/21 start from St.Jean Pied de Port =)

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I totally don‘t mind being alone. I was just curious who was leaving the same day. =)
If you are sleeping in St. Jean the night before. I would highly recommend staying in Bellari. It is an albergue right across from the pilgrim office. Great people, great communal meals, wonderful and clean and you will meet plenty of new and veteran and young and old pilgrims. If it is your first camino there will be plenty of people to reassure you. They foster a spirit of instant community.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
If you are sleeping in St. Jean the night before. I would highly recommend staying in Bellari. It is an albergue right across from the pilgrim office. Great people, great communal meals, wonderful and clean and you will meet plenty of new and veteran and young and old pilgrims. If it is your first camino there will be plenty of people to reassure you. They foster a spirit of instant community.
Unfortunately, when I made my Reservations two months ago, Belari was not open :(

Hi. Starting from sjpdp on the 18th of August, also departing from TGWN, in Ottawa

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I am starting my Camino from SJPdP on the 30th of August. Anyone else departing the same day?

Still waiting for our government (Australia) to allow us to leave and head out. We're pretty much still on lock downs every now and again as new people get infected.

Hoping to get back for my 6th or 7th Camino Frances - can't remember how many any more.

Hoping you have an incredible time. Best of luck.

Question to my fellow Canadian pilgrims. What kind of documentation, i.e. vaccination, covid tests, etc are you required to present, in order to be able to travel and gain entry to EU/Spain. Is it similar to what our neighbours to the south have to do.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Thank you for the recommendation, I see they are open! I understand the reduced bed capacity for Covid but I cannot find out any information about whether they are still having communal meals, I hope so!

Thank you for the recommendation, I see they are open! I understand the reduced bed capacity for Covid but I cannot find out any information about whether they are still having communal meals, I hope so!
You have cause for concern As I have heard that many places have stopped doing communal meals at the present time. My only suggestion would be to send them an email and hopefully you will get a response. I know that there will be people that speak English at the albergue. Even if they are no longer offering a meal I would still recommend staying there. It is a really warm and welcoming place to be. Buen Camino.

Question to my fellow Canadian pilgrims. What kind of documentation, i.e. vaccination, covid tests, etc are you required to present, in order to be able to travel and gain entry to EU/Spain. Is it similar to what our neighbours to the south have to do.
It is evolving, as it is now I believe it is vaccination record (Manitoba just released the QR immunization record) and a negative PCR test before entry. I am flying into Paris and staying a few days. I hope the requirements change as I dont want to have to scramble around looking for a testing lab in Paris!. I do follow the forums very closely so as new info emerges I shall share.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
It is evolving, as it is now I believe it is vaccination record (Manitoba just released the QR immunization record) and a negative PCR test before entry. I am flying into Paris and staying a few days. I hope the requirements change as I dont want to have to scramble around looking for a testing lab in Paris!. I do follow the forums very closely so as new info emerges I shall share.
That is my understanding as well. We will have PCR tests done in Canada and available to land in Paris. From there we should be OK as it is a local flight to Biarritz and then on to SJPdP. Walking into Spain.

That is my understanding as well. We will have PCR tests done in Canada and available to land in Paris. From there we should be OK as it is a local flight to Biarritz and then on to SJPdP. Walking into Spain.
Are you walking this year Cleigh?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Yes it is , I will cancel my scheduled pcr test and keep my fingers crossed that I will not have to rebook

I decided to fly out of Victoria on August 28th so will start from SJPDP on the 30th. Buen Camino everyone!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I am starting my Camino from SJPdP on the 30th of August. Anyone else departing the same day?
Good for you! And you know, even if you don't come across someone here who's starting on the same day, you will meet many in SJPdP. We stayed in a hostel there the night before we started, and the host invited all guests to come together before the evening meal to introduce ourselves. This meant that we already got to know that amount of people and we kept bumping into each other along the way. No doubt you'll find someone to walk with, if that's what you'd like, too. Buen Camino!

Good for you! And you know, even if you don't come across someone here who's starting on the same day, you will meet many in SJPdP. We stayed in a hostel there the night before we started, and the host invited all guests to come together before the evening meal to introduce ourselves. This meant that we already got to know that amount of people and we kept bumping into each other along the way. No doubt you'll find someone to walk with, if that's what you'd like, too. Buen Camino!
I am looking forward to meeting people. It has been a very lonely 17 months. I live in the bush and is quite lonely at the best of times. My social skills are lacking I would say. I am sure it will take no time at all before I am comfortable. I am social butterfly at heart. ❤️

Starting the day before on August 29 so will likely see you enroute. Buen Camino!

I am looking forward to meeting people. It has been a very lonely 17 months. I live in the bush and is quite lonely at the best of times. My social skills are lacking I would say. I am sure it will take no time at all before I am comfortable. I am social butterfly at heart. ❤️
Courage! (Said with a French accent).

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
To anyone from Canada who is flying into Europe to walk a pilgrim route in Spain: I expect the rules to change, probably several times, between now and the end of August. I am flying into Spain in early September. As I am changing planes at London Heathrow, I shall have to know the rules for that airport. I cannot assume that I shall remain in an international transit zone in the airport, and British Airways has very nastily responded to my inquiries by simply refusing to answer. Similar problems arise flying home to Calgary. And then there is the probable requirement of the Canadian government that I shall have to get a PCR test, not only very expensive, but extremely challenging to take the test not more than 72 hours before the boarding time of the flight that will take me to Canada. All of these regulations may change before my, and your, flights from and back to Canada. But they may not. Try to stay on top of them. And of course, our first chore is to sign in to the app that will permit entrance to Spain and follow the requirements to do so, including getting fully vaccinated and carrying proof with you. Fortunately for me, once my flight to Spain lands I don't have any further international travel challenges until I am in Santiago preparing to return to Calgary. Those of you who are starting the Frances from St Jean pied de Port will also need to follow the current arrangement for crossing from France to Spain. Make sure that you know what they are and have started the process before you leave Canada. And "Buen camino" to all.

To anyone from Canada who is flying into Europe to walk a pilgrim route in Spain: I expect the rules to change, probably several times, between now and the end of August. I am flying into Spain in early September. As I am changing planes at London Heathrow, I shall have to know the rules for that airport. I cannot assume that I shall remain in an international transit zone in the airport, and British Airways has very nastily responded to my inquiries by simply refusing to answer. Similar problems arise flying home to Calgary. And then there is the probable requirement of the Canadian government that I shall have to get a PCR test, not only very expensive, but extremely challenging to take the test not more than 72 hours before the boarding time of the flight that will take me to Canada. All of these regulations may change before my, and your, flights from and back to Canada. But they may not. Try to stay on top of them. And of course, our first chore is to sign in to the app that will permit entrance to Spain and follow the requirements to do so, including getting fully vaccinated and carrying proof with you. Fortunately for me, once my flight to Spain lands I don't have any further international travel challenges until I am in Santiago preparing to return to Calgary. Those of you who are starting the Frances from St Jean pied de Port will also need to follow the current arrangement for crossing from France to Spain. Make sure that you know what they are and have started the process before you leave Canada. And "Buen camino" to all.
Well said fellow Albertagirl! We thought long and hard about our risks and rewards and decided to pay our money and take our chances as they say. There’s certainly added stress for travel these days And for the foreseeable future.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi My name is Saara. I am going on 22nd April and would like to know how to avoid the crowds in the last 5 stages. It seems to be a bit painful for those walking for 4 to 5 weeks to suddenly be...
Hi, First Camino ….and in fact first time on a forum chat! I am going to do a (leisurely!) trail from Porto to Santiago mixing Litoral/Coastal, Central and Spiritual over three weeks ( including 2...
Trying to plan a for beginning of August 2024, just watched The Way and got inspired! Any rate….I have a couple months to prepare. I have found a way known online as “Easy Camino Frances”...
Hi! I'm planning my first Camino in June-July 2025. I'm a married father of 3 looking forward to my first solo hiking trip in 25 years. (Maybe when the kids are older, we'll do the Camino as a...
Hello kind people, I'll be doing my first Camino in May and I'm looking for some advice. We have a tight schedule due to work and we need to leave SDC to reach the airport in time for our flight...
Not sure where to place this. Something is wrong with BOOKING.COM. It has locked me out of my account both thru the app and online. I made ALL OF OUR RESERVATIONS (starting next week) thru them. I...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back