• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Canadian Health Insurance Coverage

Status
Not open for further replies.

CalgaryLynn

Time of past OR future Camino
I thought I would report in for those of us Canadians that are concerned about traveller's insurance for our trips over to Europe. I just received an email from Alberta Blue Cross that states "even though the Canadian government has not lifted it's non-essential travel warning", they are going to cover Albertans that want to travel internationally.

This was the only thing holding me back, concern about coverage IF I happen to acquire Covid during my Camino. I don't think I will as I am staying in private accommodations but I still plan to eat in restaurants and mingle with others and will be wearing a mask when requested. I am double dosed with vaccine. Still I wanted the assurance of coverage if something were to happen.

I see this as a sign that possibly other provincial health care coverage may move towards the same goal.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I thought I would report in for those of us Canadians that are concerned about traveller's insurance for our trips over to Europe. I just received an email from Alberta Blue Cross that states "even though the Canadian government has not lifted it's non-essential travel warning", they are going to cover Albertans that want to travel internationally.

This was the only thing holding me back, concern about coverage IF I happen to acquire Covid during my Camino. I don't think I will as I am staying in private accommodations but I still plan to eat in restaurants and mingle with others and will be wearing a mask when requested. I am double dosed with vaccine. Still I wanted the assurance of coverage if something were to happen.

I see this as a sign that possibly other provincial health care coverage may move towards the same goal.
CalgaryLynn thanks for this info I am from Ontario and plan on returning to the Camino next year andy other info I would appreciate.

Join the Camino Cleanup in May from Ponferrada to Sarria. Registration closes Mar 22.

Thanks for the info from a fellow Canuck pilgrim heading over in October for 6 months to walk, walk, walk till I drop 😂 (and I have EU citizenship so the 90 day visa rule doesn’t apply to me). Buen Camino!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Re: I see this as a sign that possibly other provincial health care coverage may move towards the same goal.

Just to clarify, Alberta Blue Cross isn't provincial health care (i.e., public, universal health care). I'm not sure about Alberta, but provincial health care in Ontario (OHIP) does not cover travel outside of the province, let alone outside of the country. One must always arrange travel medical insurance through a private insurer. Nevertheless, it's good to know that Blue Cross, and possibly many other private insurers, do cover Covid.

There’s a big distinction between what’s covered by provincial Medicare and private travel insurance. Just as important: cost of medical care in the event of infection might also be treated separate from costs incurred from having to self quarantine while asymptomatic.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Thanks for the info from a fellow Canuck pilgrim heading over in October for 6 months to walk, walk, walk till I drop 😂 (and I have EU citizenship so the 90 day visa rule doesn’t apply to me). Buen Camino!
I envy you have a great time next year for me.

I got extended medical insurance through CAA, that covers 40 days. It was $350 ish.. and that included Covid related illness, hospitalization and repatriation. I will be extremely diligent in following public health recommendations throughout.
I am so excited, I leave in 20 days😬

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Re: I see this as a sign that possibly other provincial health care coverage may move towards the same goal.

Just to clarify, Alberta Blue Cross isn't provincial health care (i.e., public, universal health care). I'm not sure about Alberta, but provincial health care in Ontario (OHIP) does not cover travel outside of the province, let alone outside of the country. One must always arrange travel medical insurance through a private insurer. Nevertheless, it's good to know that Blue Cross, and possibly many other private insurers, do cover Covid.
Slightly off topic, but I think it's important to clarify that OHIP does cover the vast majority of medical costs when you travel to another province and need medical care in the provincial system there. There is reciprocity between the provincial medical systems. The exception is a few things e.g. like ambulance or air ambulance costs where they exceed the cost in Ontario.

Thank you for this!

Well, our coverage was about $800 for the full 7 weeks for my wife and I.
that is alot even for two persons. I always went RBC insurance and in 2019 it cos be 240. 00 for four weeks wonder what it will be next year when I plan on a return to Spain.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

This is good to know...thanks for the info!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

I just booked $170 cdn for five weeks. Blue cross. I start Tuesday !

that is alot even for two persons. I always went RBC insurance and in 2019 it cos be 240. 00 for four weeks wonder what it will be next year when I plan on a return to Spain.

If there is/are underlying conditions, the premium could be more.

Join the Camino Cleanup in May from Ponferrada to Sarria. Registration closes Mar 22.
Early on in Mr Ford's ministry in Ontario, they decided to remove coverage for medical expenses outside the province (a reciprocity agreement covers travelling to other provinces & territories). As some policies do not cover expenses when there is a federal government travel advisory, it's useful to double check coverage and get confirmation.

I just booked $170 cdn for five weeks. Blue cross. I start Tuesday !
The price sounds great another concern for most of these insurance companies in the age of the individuals. Once you reach a certain age such as 70 or over no matter if you are healthy and on no medication its the age.

I think we should all be very cautious about explaining to others what is or is not covered by various insurance plans. Coverage varies widely between insurers, between jurisdictions, between the age groups and/or health histories of the insured parties, and it also varies over time. It can be quite difficult to provide reliably-correct information. Inadvertently providing incorrect information can be much worse than providing none at all.

Each of us must do our own research by reading the details of the various health insurance policies on offer, with emphasis on "the details".

With respect only to health insurance coverage provided to folks from the Canadian Province of Ontario, by the Government of Ontario, whilst those folks are outside of Canada, this page might help explain some of the intricacies:

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
As of Monday Aug 8, we need a Passe Sanitaire to enter restaurants and fly domestically in France. Anyone with updates on how to get this pass?

I follow this American guy living in Paris on YouTube. He got his vaccine in the US. When he returned, France implemented the Passe Sanitaire. He went to over a dozen pharmacies in Paris to find out how to obtain the Passe, with no luck. He eventually went to a pharmacy ( Pharmacist from Quebec) converted his US vaccine card to the Passe Sanitaire. It is near Opera Garnier and he paid €40. Sorry I do not remember the name of the pharmacy. The vloggers name is Jay Swanson, if you are interested. When I am in Paris in a few weeks. I will try this and post after. Good Luck!

Last edited:
We have a flight from Paris to Biarritz next Friday (coming from Canada)...so this is causing some anxiety...we hope we can board that flight or we are stuck in Paris airport. We are scrambling to find out more about how to obtain this Passe Sanitaire. We don't have the luxury of going to a pharmacy...we land in Paris then fly to Biarritz just a few hours later.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

It doesn’t sound definitive regarding covid coverage. Definitely doesn’t cover extended stays because of covid. It looks like it it a case by case scenario.

I have just paid for (more than the cost of my return air ticket) AMA travel insurance for 82 days travel. There will also be a special discount on the cost of another trip to Spain in the next year, as it provides some annual coverage. This would be cheaper for someone who is a member of AMA: Alberta Motor Association. I was very pleased to get the coverage, as I had previously been refused coverage for this trip by Allianz and AMA because of my knee replacement surgery. I have discovered that AMA also covers the costs of a dental accident (that bocadillo that broke my tooth when I was walking the VdlP) and for broken prescription eyeglasses. I wasn't considering these expenses to be medical, as there is no regular provincial coverage. So read your policy carefully. And any Canadian who buys travel insurance should know that the cost of the insurance can be claimed as an income tax deduction.

I follow this American guy living in Paris on YouTube. He got his vaccine in the US. When he returned, France implemented the Passe Sanitaire. He went to over a dozen pharmacies in Paris to find out how to obtain the Passe, with no luck. He eventually went to a pharmacy ( Pharmacist from Quebec) converted his US vaccine card to the Passe Sanitaire. It is near Opera Garnier and he paid €40. Sorry I do not remember the name of the pharmacy. The vloggers name is Jay Swanson, if you are interested. When I am in Paris in a few weeks. I will try this and post after. Good Luck!
France published an announcement yesterday that they will convert non EU vaccination certificates to the French Pass.

I have just paid for (more than the cost of my return air ticket) AMA travel insurance for 82 days travel. There will also be a special discount on the cost of another trip to Spain in the next year, as it provides some annual coverage. This would be cheaper for someone who is a member of AMA: Alberta Motor Association. I was very pleased to get the coverage, as I had previously been refused coverage for this trip by Allianz and AMA because of my knee replacement surgery. I have discovered that AMA also covers the costs of a dental accident (that bocadillo that broke my tooth when I was walking the VdlP) and for broken prescription eyeglasses. I wasn't considering these expenses to be medical, as there is no regular provincial coverage. So read your policy carefully. And any Canadian who buys travel insurance should know that the cost of the insurance can be claimed as an income tax deduction.
Great point regarding the income tax deduction!

I think we should all be very cautious about explaining to others what is or is not covered by various insurance plans. Coverage varies widely between insurers, between jurisdictions, between the age groups and/or health histories of the insured parties, and it also varies over time. It can be quite difficult to provide reliably-correct information. Inadvertently providing incorrect information can be much worse than providing none at all.

Each of us must do our own research by reading the details of the various health insurance policies on offer, with emphasis on "the details".

With respect only to health insurance coverage provided to folks from the Canadian Province of Ontario, by the Government of Ontario, whilst those folks are outside of Canada, this page might help explain some of the intricacies:

https://www.ontario.ca/page/ohip-coverage-while-outside-canada
I agree 100%. Various statements have been made in this thread that are inaccurate. At least some provinces (and I would guess most or all) do provide coverage for medical expenses incurred outside the country. The fine print is that you must submit the claim after the fact, and there are limitations on the amount and nature of the coverage. The OHIP site provided by @Pilgrim9 makes this clear. I have claimed and received reimbursement in BC.

Having said that, I still think it is wise to have additional insurance for travel outside Canada.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
As of Monday Aug 8, we need a Passe Sanitaire to enter restaurants and fly domestically in France. Anyone with updates on how to get this pass?
Try reading this Lockdowns and Reopenings.
It's easily doable. Be careful when creating the email you send.

Dises 3 and 4 are now available in Alberta if you are over 65 or can explain to a pharmacist you are travelling. Wank g immunity needs to be considered after dose two.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

I am flying into Madrid and will arrive early morning. My thought is to go directly to Toledo and stay two nights there in a hotel or hostel so that I will have the ability to sleep during the...
Hello, it's been about 7 years since my last Camino, and this will be the first time I have had to book trains within Spain. There seems to be a few different train booking sites. Booking from...
Hello everyone. My husband has been talking about walking this trail for over 35 years —- since he was 20 years old. But, life’s problems alway seem to get in the way, don’t they? He’s been...
Hi I was wondering if anyone was taking the Express Bouricott from Biarritz to SJPP on the afternoon of 27th May as I am looking to join a group booking if possible….many thanks 😊
Would I be able to bring a backpack (size 20 -25 L) into the cabin and hold on to it rather than being forced to put the backpack into the luggage compartment of the bus? I'm reading several...
Apologies for such a basic question, but can someone confirm the best way to get to Madrid airport from SDC by train. More specifically, can I book the entire route via Trainline? At first glance...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back