• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Canadian PEI route based on camino

mspath

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Frances, autumn/winter; 2004, 2005-2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015
This current BBC article details Canada's new 700km path on Prince Edward Island which is based on ideas formed by Bryson Guptill while walking the Camino de Santiago.

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I looked into doing part of the trail this year as we were going to PEI to visit family. PEI is gorgeous and while there are a lot of hills there are no mountains so for a walking route it is ideal. However, the infrastructure for a "Camino-like" experience is seriously lacking. I gave up trying to find a sensible way to do the western loop of the island. Here's why: walk 20-25km, call a taxi to come get you to drive you back to where you started in the morning, have a taxi drive you back to yesterday's end point, walk 20-25km call a taxi to drive you back to where you've been sleeping for 2 nights or to drive you to where you will now be spending the next two nights, repeat taxi trip in the morning and again the next evening. There are very few trail adjacent cafes as well, so food would be an issue. I think it would be much easier by bicycle. The center portion of the route is much more doable as there are more accommodations and amenities. I was not willing to have cousins I hadn't seen in 30 years drive 3 hours a day to ferry me back and forth lol.

There is a similar route at Iles de la Madeleine https://www.quebecmaritime.ca/en/blog/explore-the-iles-de-la-madeleine-on-foot-entre-vents-et-marees

If you do decide to do either, book your accommodations months in advance. PEI is a tourist destination and there are frequently no vacancies. Bring rain gear! It will rain!

I looked into doing part of the trail this year as we were going to PEI to visit family. PEI is gorgeous and while there are a lot of hills there are no mountains so for a walking route it is ideal. However, the infrastructure for a "Camino-like" experience is seriously lacking. I gave up trying to find a sensible way to do the western loop of the island. Here's why: walk 20-25km, call a taxi to come get you to drive you back to where you started in the morning, have a taxi drive you back to yesterday's end point, walk 20-25km call a taxi to drive you back to where you've been sleeping for 2 nights or to drive you to where you will now be spending the next two nights, repeat taxi trip in the morning and again the next evening. There are very few trail adjacent cafes as well, so food would be an issue. I think it would be much easier by bicycle. The center portion of the route is much more doable as there are more accommodations and amenities. I was not willing to have cousins I hadn't seen in 30 years drive 3 hours a day to ferry me back and forth lol.

There is a similar route at Iles de la Madeleine https://www.quebecmaritime.ca/en/blog/explore-the-iles-de-la-madeleine-on-foot-entre-vents-et-marees

If you do decide to do either, book your accommodations months in advance. PEI is a tourist destination and there are frequently no vacancies. Bring rain gear! It will rain!
Thanks for your information about the Island Walk! I have the guide and I have intended to do the walk, but knowing that each night's stay in B&Bs and hotels in one of the most touristy provinces in Canada will be very expensive has kept me from making serious plans. If they ever create an albergue-system at a reasonable price, I'll be there!
Quebec, on the other hand, has developed a 215km well-maintained and well-signed walking trail in14 sections across the beautiful province with reasonably priced B&B's and accommodations in re-purposed schools and other buildings. I walked it a few years ago with 3 friends, I had met on the Camino Frances! It was an excellent experience!
Sentier Notre-Dame, Kapatakan, Saguenay Lac Saint Jean

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Quebec, on the other hand, has developed a 215km well-maintained and well-signed walking trail in14 sections across the beautiful province with reasonably priced B&B's and accommodations in re-purposed schools and other buildings. I walked it a few years ago with 3 friends, I had met on the Camino Frances! It was an excellent experience!
I did not know about this!!! Thank you! I'll look into this for future trips. Thank you!

My son and his wife toured PEI in the summer of 2021 by vehicle, staying in tourist lodging the whole distance. They thought it beautiful, but quite a bit is rather remote so I am not surprised that @K_Lynn has found it difficult to attempt on foot.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
My son and his wife toured PEI in the summer of 2021 by vehicle, staying in tourist lodging the whole distance. They thought it beautiful, but quite a bit is rather remote so I am not surprised that @K_Lynn has found it difficult to attempt on foot.
We rented a car and drove the entire island, stopped at every beach and ate more lobster than my cousin catches in a season! :D (well maybe not that much, but close).

Thanks for your information about the Island Walk! I have the guide and I have intended to do the walk, but knowing that each night's stay in B&Bs and hotels in one of the most touristy provinces in Canada will be very expensive has kept me from making serious plans. If they ever create an albergue-system at a reasonable price, I'll be there!
Sounds like a potential winner, @MaryLynn. I have twice been to Quebec City and Montmorency Falls, but did not know of a designated walking trail. I too have two Camino girlfriends I'd met on the Camino Frances and we have walked the Le Puy together since then; possibly this could be a new consideration for us. What is the designated name for the trail? A quick search is showing several in the Quebec area.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Sounds like a potential winner, @MaryLynn. I have twice been to Quebec City and Montmorency Falls, but did not know of a designated walking trail. I too have two Camino girlfriends I'd met on the Camino Frances and we have walked the Le Puy together since then; possibly this could be a new consideration for us. What is the designated name for the trail? A quick search is showing several in the Quebec area.
I've already bookmarked it! http://www.sentiernotredamekapatakan.org/

Hi! I'm in the same situation you were ... my cousins are renting a cottage on PEI and I'm joining them, and would like to walk a few days of the trail while there but the logistics are so complicated! They now have a public bus that goes around the island in the early morning and again in the afternoon, which would reduce need for taxi if the locations and schedules can be worked out. They seem to be keeping details secretive, to funnel traffic to someone who can suggest rules for a large fee. There's nothing else I would like to do while I'm on PEI, I don't eat seafood and the Anne of GG is not a huge draw for me. I have been looking at the Quebec pilgrimages too, did you want the Iles de l Madeleine? There's also Le Chemin des Sanctuaires and one in Saguenay.

Hi! I'm in the same situation you were ... my cousins are renting a cottage on PEI and I'm joining them, and would like to walk a few days of the trail while there but the logistics are so complicated! They now have a public bus that goes around the island in the early morning and again in the afternoon, which would reduce need for taxi if the locations and schedules can be worked out. They seem to be keeping details secretive, to funnel traffic to someone who can suggest rules for a large fee. There's nothing else I would like to do while I'm on PEI, I don't eat seafood and the Anne of GG is not a huge draw for me. I have been looking at the Quebec pilgrimages too, did you want the Iles de l Madeleine? There's also Le Chemin des Sanctuaires and one in Saguenay.
Somehow the idea of a bus picking me up each day is just wrong. I don't know what the solution is. I've not seriously looked into the Madeleine or Sanguenay routes and thanks for reminding me! :D

It is starting to look like I will be back on the island this summer for a couple of days. it will be interesting to see in person what Fiona did to the dunes and cliffs. I had a wonderful time last summer just walking every beach on the island. The beach at Souris has the most jellyfish! and a few km away the Singing Sands are really cool! and I wanted to take home every single fox I saw! There's a lot of good food even if you don't eat seafood. Hope you have a good time while there!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Most read last week in this forum

I started walking the American Discovery Trail back in 2019. My plan was to walk the southern option between Cincinnati, Ohio and Denver, Colorado that fall, and then to fly to Delaware in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.