• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Canadian pilgrim rescued near Ibañeta

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Thank you Mister Navarro for the link. Score another one for the Bomberos de Burguete, and the good thing, the peregrino called the emergency number and it works. To all caminantes, be careful out there, y que la luz de Dios alumbre su camino.

If you have the details did he try and walk from SJPP to Ronc. in one day as he seems to be out late in the evening if he started at Valcrios.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Using Google Translate:

Rescued a 62-year-old Canadian pilgrim at the top of Ibañeta

Firefighters from Burguete Park rescued an exhausted and disoriented 65-year-old Canadian pilgrim in the late afternoon on Wednesday, one kilometer from Ibañeta high.

Despite the fall of the night and the abundant snow accumulated after the rains of recent days, the man was found in just one hour and fifteen minutes after he requested help and moved to the hostel in Roncesvalles, where he recovered from a Principle of hypothermia without needing medical attention.

The Emergency Coordination room received a call at 19.13 hours from a nervous and disoriented pilgrim who expressed himself in English. Operators of the 112 with knowledge of that language reassured him and tried to narrow the search area. In direct connection with the Firefighters on the ground, the pilgrim himself contributed to its location, and at 20.30 hours they found the lost one.

The man was found on the Camino de Santiago road one kilometer from Ibañeta high, walking with great difficulty through the snow. Although the Firemen took an all-terrain vehicle and a caterpillar, they found the pilgrim on foot. Due to the fall of the night, his exhaustion and cold was confused, nervous and disoriented. The rapid coordination of the emergency services was key, given the freezing temperatures that are registered these days in the area.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Excellent news that a pilgrim is safe. He did the right thing calling the bomberos.
And for any new pilgrims who might be reading this post...always treat, not just the Napoleon but the Valcarlos, with respect.
I know many on this forum have been blessed to walk the Pyrenees in good walking conditions but that does not always happen. Be informed, be prepared and don’t trust your tired, jet-lagged, excited self.
Believe me I am not being in any way critical of the pilgrim who was rescued because I put myself in a similar position when walking the Napoleon in bad weather due to my own lack of information and no experience of the weather conditions.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I can't read or speak much Spanish, but if this Pilgrim took the Valcarlos route, it shows that there are no guarantees in winter, even taking the "safe" route. Extreme caution is the name of the game no matter what!

I´d like to give some explanations. There are three possible routes. The Napoleon route cross the mountais higher than Ibañeta pass. Is very difficult to access there due to the distance from the road and the accumulation of snow. This is because it is closed in winter. The other route, recommended for winter, by Valcarlos-Ibañeta has two alternatives. The one following the traditional path along the woods next to road, it gives a great advantajes to rescue people. But in case of bad weather conditions, fog, snow, mud rain can be hard. The safer route is the road. I can undesrtand that some people prefers a soil ground than pavement. About preferences nothing is witten, more or less we say in Spain. .

Most read last week in this forum

...I am on day eight of walking the Francés at the moment. It is quite busy. A lot of talk about beds (and the need to book ahead). I don't book. Today I tried really hard not to get a bed. I...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back