• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Canadians and Portugal update

auburnfive

Veteran Member
This was from the Air Transat site, which flies direct from Canada to Portugal. It looks like they anticipate this situation to last until Feb 28. They are allowing cancellation from now until then.

Attachments

• BBF27F4A-ACF3-45FD-941D-36EC0B5D2EAA.png
    BBF27F4A-ACF3-45FD-941D-36EC0B5D2EAA.png
    632.1 KB · Views: 117
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
This was from the Air Transat site, which flies direct from Canada to Portugal. It looks like they anticipate this situation to last until Feb 28. They are allowing cancellation from now until then.
Thanks for that update.
I am so hoping that things might ease sooner? But Feb 28th looks about right.
As of Feb 28 the Canadian government will remove the non essential travel advisory ( international) from its site and also the PCR test required is changed to an Antigen test.

Last edited:
I can cancel my fight to Lisbon, but Air Transat will not allow a refund on the ticket because “border closure” is the *one thing* not in the insurance plan. If I can get a family member or myself sick… then I can have a refund. Not a great option and yet that was ”offered” as a solution by the agent on the phone last evening. The agent then went further to suggest that maybe Canada had brought it on itself by being too stringent. I actually had to stop her and say I wasn’t there to debate health policy, only to try to deal with a ticket I can’t use.

Waiting to see what happens Feb 28.

I booked AT because it was the only company leaving Canada with whom I could get a direct flight. Considering the kinds of things that I’ve had accommodated by other airlines in the course of 50 years of flying (lost luggage, overbooked planes, medical emergencies, travelling home via Madrid when Ebola broke out there, special transfer for a sick relative, cargo transfer of mortal remains…) I can say that I’m glad I’m not going to lose too much to AT, but it is a 100% loss and I will look elsewhere for the rest of time for any travel that I do.

Wishing better luck for others dealing with tickets and plans and a lot of uncooked eggs being juggled.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I can cancel my fight to Lisbon, but Air Transat will not allow a refund on the ticket because “border closure” is the *one thing* not in the insurance plan. If I can get a family member or myself sick… then I can have a refund. Not a great option and yet that was ”offered” as a solution by the agent on the phone last evening. The agent then went further to suggest that maybe Canada had brought it on itself by being too stringent. I actually had to stop her and say I wasn’t there to debate health policy, only to try to deal with a ticket I can’t use.

Waiting to see what happens Feb 28.

I booked AT because it was the only company leaving Canada with whom I could get a direct flight. Considering the kinds of things that I’ve had accommodated by other airlines in the course of 50 years of flying (lost luggage, overbooked planes, medical emergencies, travelling home via Madrid when Ebola broke out there, special transfer for a sick relative, cargo transfer of mortal remains…) I can say that I’m glad I’m not going to lose too much to AT, but it is a 100% loss and I will look elsewhere for the rest of time for any travel that I do.

Wishing better luck for others dealing with tickets and plans and a lot of uncooked eggs being juggled.
Did they offer you a credit?

Did they offer you a credit?
They did, but I can’t use it… I will time out before I am able to travel again. I have tremendous freedom in some ways but also a really rigid schedule. Not transferable. Poo.

Most read last week in this forum

Bom dia dear pilgrims, I plan on returning to Portugal this summer, after walking the Salvador + Primitivo. I have a few questions: - What is the easiest way to get from SdC to Coimbra? I assume...
My final question since I have asked sooo many. Grabbing a light lunch that I can get on the go, hoping to grab it, and find a square or a bench to enjoy it, then get back to walking. Not really...
Arriving in Valença around noon and I need to get to my hostel in Tui. I would like to conserve my energy and time, so can I take a taxi from Valença Bus station to take me to my hostel in Tui...
We are flying into Lisbon, then taking a train to Tomar for a couple nights, which looks pretty easy. What is less clear is the best way from Tomar to Porto. Have you done this? What do you...
Dear all, I have done Camino Frances, Norte and Primitivo and would like to ask about Portuges. I have some soul-searching to do and would love to walk a part of it, unfortunately only a part...
Hello everyone! My wife and I are doing our first Camino in Sept and I was very curious about the stretch from Tui to Pontevedra. We have been to Spain multiple times and love the small towns...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back