• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Canadians walk Camino

• Thread starter Deleted member 3000
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 3000

Long, winding road calls to Haligonians
January 18, 2013 - 4:50pm By LOIS LEGGE Features Writer

THEY WALKED 650 to 800 kilometres on their vacations.

Saw vultures overhead.

Crossed ancient roads below.

And while that may not seem like much of a break to some, Halifax residents who’ve trekked the fabled, ancient Camino de Santiago (The Way of St. James) have a different story to tell.

One of spiritual awakening and physical perseverance.

Beauty and hardship.

And new ways of seeing the world.

Now they’re starting a local organization to help others contemplating the journey. Or to swap stories with people who’ve already made it across the paths, mountains, hills and valleys of Spain to the place Christ’s apostle St. James is said to be buried.

“I met one woman from Nova Scotia, actually, and she used to call it Camino magic,” says Kathy Kepkay, a Halifax teacher.

“There was a mystical aspect to the Camino as well.”

Kepkay is starting a local chapter of Canadian Company of Pilgrims with fellow Camino alum Cathy Cavanaugh, a Halifax nurse.

Over the centuries, the journey has been a religious pilgrimage for many, a physical endurance test for others.

Christians have taken the pilgrimage from many starting points, although the Camino de Santiago route — from France, over the Pyrenees to Santiago de Compostela, Spain — has been among the most popular.

Kepkay and Cavanaugh walked this route at different times. And for different reasons.

But both call it a life-changing, awe-inspiring odyssey that opened their eyes to nature and to themselves.

“The first part of it, I rehashed a lot of my past … a lot of the baggage I didn’t have time to get rid of over the years,” says Cavanaugh, who last spring walked about 800 kilometres with her husband, starting from Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port.

“And just being able to think things through and to let a lot of that stuff go, just maybe different conflict you’ve had in life, things that you were carrying with you, or regrets.”

Cavanaugh’s dad died in 1999 and she still misses him “immensely.” But she felt him there with her in the lush mossy forests, with the transcendent scents of eucalyptus, and on the rugged roads to Santiago de Compostela.

“Birds always remind me of him because he loved birds, and I remember sometimes it was so hard to walk … so I would be walking and walking and walking and I’d see a little bird and he’d chirp at me, and then he’d hop a little bit ahead of me, and hop a little bit more ahead of me, and I’d think, ‘OK, Dad, already,’” she recalls with a laugh.

“And looking at the clouds, and you just have so much time to appreciate what we have … and what God has given us. You have so much time along the way.”

Kepkay remembers seeing vultures circling six metres above along the way. But she didn’t feel fear, just awe at how close she was to the natural world, a “heightened sensitivity” to her surroundings she’d never felt before.

Those surroundings were at times breathtakingly beautiful, both women say. And at times, excruciatingly treacherous.

“The terrain is absolutely incredible,” says Cavanaugh, 56, sitting in her Halifax condo with Kepkay, who took the trip in the fall of 2010.

“There’s flat, there’s cobblestone roads, there’s places where there’s vines, there’s places where there’s fields.

“We walked over the Pyrenees the first day from Saint-Jean-Pied. … That was about 25, 27 kilometres, so we saw everything … and we met everything there. We met rain, sleet, gales, winds, sun, fog, snow …

“We found a little lean-to and stopped to get a bite to eat, took off our gloves and then the snow just plummeted down on us, and I remember I had my can of sandwich sardines and it was filling up with snow.”

But Cavanaugh adds with a laugh, “You just continue on. We’re Canadian.”

Kepkay remembers one particularly tiring day when she and her travelling companions took a wrong turn and ended up walking much longer than they’d planned — about 10 hours on rustic, rocky, muddy paths.

“I could barely sit down, and when I did sit down, I could barely stand up.”

But both women say despite the hardships, including plenty of blisters, the journey was an experience they’ll always cherish and never forget.

Cavanaugh, a Catholic, was particularly moved when she reached Cathedral de Santiago de Compostella where St. James is believed to be buried. She attended mass there on the holy day of Ascension. She remembers a massive incense burner swaying across the ceiling of the ancient Roman Catholic cathedral and thinking about “how many people before me have witnessed this.”

“I just broke down,” she says. “It was just too wonderful.”

And Kepkay, who walked about 650 kilometres and took a bus for some highway sections of the route, is still astonished by all the simple moments along the way.

“I like to walk, but I didn’t know I could walk that far,” says the 60-year-old, who calls herself spiritual, though not religious.

“But I think what I learned about myself is that you kind of keep yourself open so that you can … see the little miracles in the ordinary of everyday life.”

The first meeting of the Halifax chapter of the Canadian Company of Pilgrims is scheduled for Feb. 3 from 1 to 4 p.m. in the Currie Room of Saint Mary’s Cathedral Basilica.

For more information, go to the local group’s Facebook page: Canadian Company of Pilgrims, Halifax chapter, or to the national group’s website, santiago.ca.
I learned something; people from Halifax are Haligonians!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Very touching. Drove to Halifax from Toronto about 20 years ago. Lovely city but did not know people from there are called Haligonians. Learn new things everday. Thanks Falcon.

People from Halifax Yorkshire are Haligonians. Not sure about Halifax NS. :D Buen Camino!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Oops!!!!! Now I have to google what they're called..( Halifaxian?....Nova Scotian maybe? ) :)

Hi, We Canadians also use the "Haligonian" moniker for our Halifax residents. It is just too much fun not to!!!
I am leaving from Paris Mar 20 to SJ PdP.
Enjoying the forum!

Hi Sally.....Thanks for the info....had to call my sisters in Toronto last night & they said they've heard their daughter in law who was from Nova Scotia called teasingly as Haligonian also. Probably same way some call us Hoosiers. But anyway what's in a name? Finally one of my nieces hollered over the phone " just call them Canucks"- well that ended it. My best friend and I will arrive in Madrid on May 14th then on to Pamplona then SJPP. God bless you on your pilgrimage. Buen Camino.

Remy from Indianapolis :D

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Oh Canada! Thank you so much for this very moving account. I hear Halifax too is a very beautiful place. We befriended wonderful Canadians on The Way last year and miss them and The Way dearly. Buen Camino! xo

As a proud Canuck myself ( in the 80's for a while we were 'Hosers') I can confirm that Halifax residents are called "Haligonians." That's true of the Halifax in the UK, and I believe there's a couple of Halifaxes in the USA too. Can our American pilgrims check that out? The term Haligonian is derived from the Gaelic-Halifax is of Scots origin.

Just to complicate the issue, people from Novs Scotia are also referred to as " Bluenosers". This term is related back to a famous fishing schnoor called the Bluenose which won a lot of sailing races during the early part of the twentieth century. Some people believe the name Bluenoser goes back to the old fishing days when sailors wore heavy wool mitts that were dyed blue and in cold wet weather when sailors would wipe their noses with the mitts the dye would stain their noses blue thus the term Bluenosers.

Kennedy

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

Most read last week in this forum

We have arrived in San Sebastián today to start our small journey on the Camino Norte and we are just so excited. We managed to get sometime with Aussie friends of ours that we met on the Camino...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back