• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

OBSOLETE COVID THREAD Cancel upcoming trip

OBSOLETE COVID THREAD
Status
Not open for further replies.

mike mcbroom

Time of past OR future Camino
Francis June 17, 2015 ,Portagusee from Porto to Santiago August 2016, Francis may 2018 this year wil
With heavy heart I am canceling our Camino for this summer.
I really was.looking forward to showing my new life mate the Francis and Portuguese.

But will keep our ears and eyes open and if things clear up. We will.go

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Much as I admire your optimism the US now has more cases of COVID-19 than China (94,000); Spain has 64,000 cases and has suffered 5,000 deaths and Italy has just recorded 919 deaths in a single day - I don't think you can count on travel across the Atlantic to have normalised in 3 or 4 months.
Be safe, be healthy and plan to come over in the distant future.
The Camino is wonderful but not, I think, worth dying for.

I really was.looking forward to showing my new life mate the Francis and Portuguese.

It is a disappointment but you know it will be there and we will all stay healthy and have many opportunities to walk in the future!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Good luck. I am hoping for a beginning in either Sept or Oct or even as late as Nov. Some are saying even that is doubtful.

I have communicated with some folks in Spain. They indicate that the albergues will reopen June 1. With in mind, we are now looking at an August Start date. BTW, getting money back from the airlines Aerlingus has prooven fruitless. On a good note Air B&B refunded our accomodatikns in Dublun and Paris on the same day requested.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I think it's a différent situation depending on where you are right now. I don't need to book a flight, and I'm very happy to camp. I think I've spent more nights in my tent than in a dormitory anyway. Coming from another continent is a whole other story. I can cycle down the drive, wander down the Tours route and either jump on a train home or ride back a different way. Then do the Spanish part later if the internal border is closed. As my crystal ball is away for re-chroming right now I'll just wait and see what happens. In the meantime I'm buying a new tent and contemplating a new sleeping bag. Though I have yet to find one that I want and that doesn't require me to sell my family into slavery.
Those who need to plan months in advance have my sympathy. I'm currently hosting a couple from the UK (in the friends house next to ours) who were spending a year house sitting in various parts of Europe. They got to the Spanish border just as it closed, and are now waiting until things open up again, as they have commitments to do other house sits. Maybe not, as the people they are committed to might be blocked as well. As their van carries pretty much all their belongings and their two dogs they are pretty much stuck.
I think maybe the lesson here is not to go any place you aren't prepared to stay if the situation changes.

I think it's a différent situation depending on where you are right now. I don't need to book a flight, and I'm very happy to camp. I think I've spent more nights in my tent than in a dormitory anyway. Coming from another continent is a whole other story. I can cycle down the drive, wander down the Tours route and either jump on a train home or ride back a different way. Then do the Spanish part later if the internal border is closed. As my crystal ball is away for re-chroming right now I'll just wait and see what happens. In the meantime I'm buying a new tent and contemplating a new sleeping bag. Though I have yet to find one that I want and that doesn't require me to sell my family into slavery.
Those who need to plan months in advance have my sympathy. I'm currently hosting a couple from the UK (in the friends house next to ours) who were spending a year house sitting in various parts of Europe. They got to the Spanish border just as it closed, and are now waiting until things open up again, as they have commitments to do other house sits. Maybe not, as the people they are committed to might be blocked as well. As their van carries pretty much all their belongings and their two dogs they are pretty much stuck.
I think maybe the lesson here is not to go any place you aren't prepared to stay if the situation changes.

Alert me when your crystal ball is up and running.

I have many questions.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I have communicated with some folks in Spain. They indicate that the albergues will reopen June 1. With in mind, we are now looking at an August Start date. BTW, getting money back from the airlines Aerlingus has prooven fruitless. On a good note Air B&B refunded our accomodatikns in Dublun and Paris on the same day requested.

Thank You! I have not made plane reservations yet. The accommodations I have reserved are through booking.com and can be cancelled if need be. I hope you are right about the re-opening. If so, an October beginning would be great.

Status
Not open for further replies.

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back