• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Cancelled Ryanair Flight

lckgj

I received an email from Ryanair this morning to say my flight on Thursday 16th April from Santiago to Stansted had been cancelled. They offered me a seat on the following days flight which I have accepted although it is not entirely convenient. (What the heck, an extra day in Santiago - I can cope with that...)

I just wanted to mention this as I have no idea whether this is a one off (seems unlikely so far in advance) or whether there has been some change/reduction to the service. Havn't had time to look on their website I'm afraid...

Anyway, anyone who has a flight to/from Santiago already booked might be well advised to check the email account they booked their flight through and make sure everything all still ok. I know some people have several email accounts so it's possible to miss these things. I can imagine this is potentially very inconvenient for anyone with additional onward flights from the UK also already booked.
Good luck and fingers crossed everyone unaffected!
Laura

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi Laura,

Last year something similar happened with my arrangements.
I had booked a flight, Dublin to Santander with Ryanair, before flights commenced. In due course I received an e-mail telling me of change,to the following day. All went well, just one day less on the Camino. :(

Brian

No it isn't a one off - I got the same e mail today cancelling a flight back from Santiago on 25th April until the next day.

I also noticed when I was booking flights to go out there for the second last week in February that there were no Saturday flights available.

I suspect this is simply consolidating quiet flights during the winter season :)

A selection of Camino Jewellery
A sneaky trick to try if this happens to anyone else...

when they change the date of a flight, Ryanair always offer an alternative or a full refund. Before accepting the new dates, look on their website to see how much it would cost to make a brand new booking on the same dates. If it's cheaper, then claim the refund on the original booking, and make a new reservation at the lower fare.

I work for a tour operator and saved a family of seven about £150 by doing this today.

Ryanair charge for absolutely everything (including £5.00 per person per flight credit card charge), so it felt good to beat them at their own game for once.

This might also be a waring for those trying to patch together a longer international trip with a Ryanair flight.

Imagine having a flight from Santiago to London and supposedly caching a long international flight from there.... and then Ryanair moves your Santiago - London flight to a different day!

They have good prices, but... :)

Saludos,
Ivar

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
ivar said:
They have good prices, but... :)

Saludos,
Ivar

Those with a concern for social justice might also want to take into account their treatment of people with disabilities.

Andy

Back again,

You have flagged a possibility/caution there Ivar, and of course Ryanair have a max. 15kg checked baggage.
Andy, I haven't read your other posts. I think we all have disabilities but unfortunately those with outward physical disabilities are easily recognisable in everyday life and generally society categorises/assumes they will pose immense difficulties for cabin crew, especially in an emergency. However I also think it might simply be related to aircraft turn around time, which is a core issue with low cost airlines.
From my reading & reflections on the Camino I know that we, physically, materially, financially and time rich people should be more aware and loving of all that we meet throughout life, but often we use the cheaper/convienent option.
Andy, don't allow apparent consumerism of others put you off living or availing of easy steps to walk the Camino.
Apoligies in advance if I have asumed too much.
I received exellent notice from Ryanair re flight change and I continue to avail of their flights. I ease my conscience by the fact I recycle regularly and walk to work daily.

Regards,

Buen Camino

Brian.

Brian,

thanks. Ryanair seems to be the only airline which regularly gets into trouble for flouting the British Disability Discrimination Act (google 'Ryanair' and 'disability' for details).

Andy

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
crackmrmac said:
From my reading & reflections on the Camino I know that we, physically, materially, financially and time rich people should be more aware and loving of all that we meet throughout life, but often we use the cheaper/convienent option.

crackmrmac said:
I ease my conscience by the fact I recycle regularly and walk to work daily.

You're right to point out that we 'rich people' should be aware of chosing the more loving and respectful options. It's a luxury to be able to 'ease our consciences'.

I don't think it's a matter of it being OK to fly, drive a SUV, eat mange tout peas flown from Kenya out of season just because we recycle, donate to Greenpeace or whatever.

Whatever we do we should do thoughfully and responsibly. We might chose for good reasons to fly on one occasion, but to take the less convenient option (eg train) on another when we can. We might chose to fly Ryanair (as we are doing in March) but perhaps we should also write to then about improving their service to disabled people, for example (thanks, Andy, for making me think about that).

If I'm honest I have to acknowledge that being able to make a pilgrimage to Santiago ( and indulging in forum conversations) is because I have resources available to me in an unfair measure, compared to so many others. So when I pour over websites looking at hiking boots or lightweight packs, or even send for my forum badge, in order to make my Camino better it's not the apparent consumerism of others I need to worry about. Instead I should try to be honest about my own motivation .

It's geting late. I'm not, like Arn last night, full of vino, but I'm aware that I'm tired and not thinking very clearly, so if I've been too preachy or offended anyone, sorry!

Good night

As I was reading the Ryanair rules and regs... I am confused about something. Should I bag up my backpack and check it or will I be allowed to carry it on?? I was looking at their dimensions and it seemed really small pieces are the only carry on's allowed....any thoughts???

lckgj said:
I received an email from Ryanair this morning to say my flight on Thursday 16th April from Santiago to Stansted had been cancelled. They offered me a seat on the following days flight which I have accepted although it is not entirely convenient. (What the heck, an extra day in Santiago - I can cope with that...)

I just wanted to mention this as I have no idea whether this is a one off (seems unlikely so far in advance) or whether there has been some change/reduction to the service. Havn't had time to look on their website I'm afraid...

Anyway, anyone who has a flight to/from Santiago already booked might be well advised to check the email account they booked their flight through and make sure everything all still ok. I know some people have several email accounts so it's possible to miss these things. I can imagine this is potentially very inconvenient for anyone with additional onward flights from the UK also already booked.
Good luck and fingers crossed everyone unaffected!
Laura

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi,

Cabin allowance with ryanair is one bag, dimensions 55cm x 40cm x 20cm, max weight 10kg.
While you can carry on liquids, gels (see regulations) & "closed" blades for shaving, I'm afraid you'll have to leave swiss army knife and poles behind.

Brian.

crackmrmac said:
Cabin allowance with ryanair is one bag, dimensions 55cm x 40cm x 20cm, max weight 10kg.
While you can carry on liquids, gels (see regulations) & "closed" blades for shaving, I'm afraid you'll have to leave swiss army knife and poles behind.

We are hoping to get our backpacks squashed into those dimensions (only for a week on the Camino Ingles) - are we being realistic?

Also, if we take a basic knife (for spreading, sharing an apple or a cake etc) is that going to cause ructions?

Bridget

The knife will cause problems. It will be cheaper to buy it in Spain than pay Ryanair's extra costs not only for the baggage but also for check-in as you cannot check-in on the web if you have baggage.

Yet another sneaky Ryanair trick has just been introduced. If your duty free drink or books etc that you have bought airside do not fit in your pack they will charge you an extra sum, 30 euro or so, at the gate to carry it on
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/w ... 683057.ece

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Thanks William. No knife then. (What about a plastic one?)

What about bum-bags? Around one's waist? Does that count as an second piece of hand luggage? We usually have one of them each for tickets, passport, purse, pen, notebook etc.

Bridget

Hi Bridget

My experience of flying hand luggage only to/from Pisa with Ryanair last year was as follows..

No bumbags allowed!! They made my sister remove hers and we had to squeeze all her bits and bobs into our pockets and small cases. I know she had flown other Ryanair routes and not had this problem so don't know if this was particularly officious staff at Liverpool airport or just a general crack down on the rules (which do state strictly 1 piece of luggage allowed into cabin).

My advice is to wear trousers with big/multiple pockets! You only need to transfer the stuff for the time it takes to go through security so you don't have to travel all the way with uncomfortable lumps!!

I take one of those plastic "Sporks" - it is a combination knife,fork and spoon and it has not been confiscated yet as I suppose it doesn't show up the same as metal does on the scanners. If it was taken away, it wouldn't be the end of the world as it only costs a couple of quid. They are very light and surprisingly strong. I find the spoon bit very handy for yoghurty snacks.

Definitely no walking poles allowed in the cabin, so for this reason I check my luggage in (at very unreasonable expense!!) I have seen several backpacks appear on the luggage belt with torn straps where I assume they have been caught in one of the conveyor belts, so I put mine in a taped-up plastic bag which also means i don't have to worry about padlocking all the little pockets. I have just bought a large strong, lightweight backpack liner with the intention of using that the next time and then transfering it to the inside of my back as an extra waterproof liner whilst walking.

Its really tricky to know whether your pack will be accepted as hand luggage or not...
When standing in the queue to check in or at security I have seen people saunter through with what is clearly oversized hand luggage, and then other times you see people being charged for something that may not fit exactly into the 'testing rack' but looks very reasonable in terms of volume. It's down to what staff you encounter I suppose!!

Laura

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Are you allowed to take a walking stick or cane as carry-on luggage on RyanAir? Anyone have any experience? I see the regulation about "no blunt objects," but they don't specifically list canes as prohibited.
If not, anyone have any experience checking a walking stick as checked luggage?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Just back from my first trip to Glasgow and carry on bags were being weighed just before security to ensure within 10kg limit.

Re cancelled flights....I've received an e-mail to inform me of my flight cancellation :D :( :D ........so decision time..........do I go earlier or later.....more or less days in Spain.

Buen Camino

Brian.

Also be warned if you are not from an EU country (even if you are a legal resident in one) you WILL be charged an extra 10 Euro for every leg of your trip.

This is passed-off as a charge for not using their handy-dandy online check-in system. What they don´t tell you up front is only EU passport holders are allowed to do that. Everyone else stands in queue, and everyone else pays extra.

Ryanair are cheap, but they are also reptiles.
Reb.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
[Are you allowed to take a walking stick or cane as carry-on luggage on Ryanair? *]

A walking stick or cane may be taken aboard if it is essential equipment for a disabled person to move around. It may not be allowed as carry-on luggage in its extended form, perhaps if it can be collapsed to less than the length of the backpack, and hidden in the backpack, it may escape the gaze of the ticketing officer, Whether this will be allowed by the x-ray machines staff during the security inspection prior to boarding is another matter.

[*If not, anyone have any experience checking a walking stick as checked baggage]

I checked in our walking sticks packed in a small tube together with other items not allowed on board and after it was labeled by Ryanair staff I was asked by them at Rome airport to take it to a labeled bag reception cubicle for screening and onward handling. A guard who indicated in Italian that it was a fragile thing, which he would send to the fragile section, took this small tube from me.

The tube did not arrive at Santander airport.

I made the usual report of lost luggage, waited for an extra day at Santander for the luggage, which never arrived or was found. I returned home to New Zealand and made a claim. Ryanair finally settled this claim after a year and I only received a paltry sum after I threatened them with a court action in Dublin.

Off subject I would comment on my six leg journey on Ryanair:
a) Ryanair was punctual or even earlier on all the six flights we took
b) Luggage was lost by their cargo handlers and not by Ryanair directly
c) Their lost luggage tracing service was good but not successful
d) English was spoken by Ryanair staff and they were very polite, it helps if one can speak a bit of the local lingo as we had to take a bus several times to the airport to check for the lost luggage.
e) Ryanair being a budget airline only opens their office for very short hours
f) Court action against Ryanair in Dublin can be done by email at a small cost, details on the web-site
g) The amount saved on flying Ryanair when measured against normal fares for our six flights could have bought us a hundred walking sticks
h) I will fly Ryanair again as the lost luggage incident could have happened on any airline.

Most read last week in this forum

hola, I have been trying to book a train from Madrid to Sarria to meet with friends on the Camino. The process works until the payment page. It asks for an email address and a phone number...
I trying to purchase my one way ticket from Santiago de Compostela to Porto.I cannot find any info on bringing my luggage with me( a small carry on and a knapsack) anyone taken this bus? Can I...
Last year made the mistake of travelling after the 500k walk to Porto and Barcelona and Cadaqués then the UK.(All amazing) but I was too tired to make the most of it. So this year I’m lucky...
Beginning March 1, my husband and I walked from Santo Domingo de la Calzada to Astorga on the CF. Prior to our trip, I had contracted with Jacotrans to move our bags for 21 straight days...
Trying to determine best way from Madrid airport to Leon? Thank you
Just saw a press release from Correos announcing that they will be offering a left luggage service at all of their 2,000+ offices throughout Spain. For up to 15 days at a time...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back