• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

candles in santiago, how much do they cost?

mrkolice

Time of past OR future Camino
oct - dec 2016, via de la plata, from sevilla to santiago.
Hi, this is my first post here. The question I'm asking might sound strange or absurd at first. I will try to give an explanation. What is the cost for candles in Santiago?

I'll start my first camino in about two weeks, starting from Sevilla, via de la plata. It will be a very low-budget walk, I'm unemployed and I cannot spend a lot. Now, a few days ago I publicly announced my plans and intentions for the camino. The reaction from my circle was very positive, family and relatives and friends and friends of the friends, all wishing me good luck and such. But I also got a lot of requests to light a candle in Santiago. I mean not one candle, but a lot of candles, and the list skyrocketed over a hundred candles in just first two days, and it's still growing and with a similar pace it will be close to 500 candles when I get there.

Any tip will be appreciated, thx in advance. Buen camino!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
One tip that comes immediately to my mind is that you have to learn to say No! I am sure your family and friends know about your limited budget and will understand if you 'only' lit one candle for all of them.

Buen Camino and welcome to the forum, SY

I don't know if these candles are appropriate or approved but they are available on the Spanish amazon site. Possibly, if you decide on this, you could have them shipped to Ivar (at some cost for pickup) or general delivery at the post office in Santiago. Do NOT ship to Ivar without his approval. And if coming from someplace outside the EU to Spain forget it. At any rate this may give you an idea of the cost.

https://www.amazon.es/s/ref=nb_sb_n...=i:aps,k:velas+votivas+-yankee+rightwell&tag=

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
@Rick of Rick and Peg

Whilst your link might give an idea of the cost, bringing candles in from outside isn't allowed at the cathedral (and many other churches) as far as I know. Reason being the danger of fire (candle and candle holder need to match). Buen Camino, SY

I do not think that anybody requesting you 'to light a candle' for them would to expect you to go without necessities to do so.. So I think one candle and a prayer for all those who have requested a candle or a prayer would suffice.

Whenever I am asked to light a candle. I say I will pray for you, and I do every morning pray for all who have asked my prayers and again in the evening especially on those evenings when I can attend Mass.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Whilst your link might give an idea of the cost, bringing candles in from outside isn't allowed at the cathedral (and many other churches) as far as I know. Reason being the danger of fire (candle and candle holder need to match). Buen Camino, SY
Thank you @SYates.

@mrkolice, perhaps you could find a patron among your friends and relatives but you do the lighting and praying. And send a picture of them all to your patron.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Hi, this is my first post here. The question I'm asking might sound strange or absurd at first. I will try to give an explanation. What is the cost for candles in Santiago?

I'll start my first camino in about two weeks, starting from Sevilla, via de la plata. It will be a very low-budget walk, I'm unemployed and I cannot spend a lot. Now, a few days ago I publicly announced my plans and intentions for the camino. The reaction from my circle was very positive, family and relatives and friends and friends of the friends, all wishing me good luck and such. But I also got a lot of requests to light a candle in Santiago. I mean not one candle, but a lot of candles, and the list skyrocketed over a hundred candles in just first two days, and it's still growing and with a similar pace it will be close to 500 candles when I get there.

Any tip will be appreciated, thx in advance. Buen camino!
Hi mrkolice :)

You are a very happy person when you have that much friends :cool:

Bota

As I remember from my 2011 visit to the cathedral there are electronic candles. I have lighted a few (for € coins of course) but found that so "cold", without emotions, that real fire of the candle would give IMO. From that moment on I just stood still with my eyes closed for a few minutes in front of the cathedral after arrival, with my full gear on and remember all the people (regardless either from home or an elderly lady in a village on Camino) that asked me to recommend them to St.James.

I'm not religious but that's very special moment for me when I bring prayers and wishes of all those people to their shrine. I have my moment at sunset on the beach of Atlantic ocean though :)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
For what it is worth, votive candles are available at the Pilgrim Office and in many souvenir shops in Santiago. At the Pilgrim Office, they were available for a €1.50 donation. At least that was the situation when I departed my tout there on 19 August this year.

I hope this helps.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Ditto for what Johnnie states, except for ONE possible exception...unless something has changed in a month.

Votive candles ARE permitted on the marble floor, in front of the altar located in the Chapel that is adjacent to, and located off the main entry of the new Pilgrim Office. The Camino Companions Program (Sisters Katherine and Marion) coordinates activities and a variety of Pilgrim-centric programs in this Chapel.

This beautiful Chapel is regularly used for prayer services. Pilgrims regularly purchase votive candles at the Pilgrim Office or elsewhere, and light them, placing them on the floor, with the other candles. In my experience, the candles are extinguished when there is no one present in the Chapel or immediate area (in case of an accident). But, all of the candles are usually re-lit the next morning, or when the Chapel is next re-opened for "business."

N.B. There are also those accursed "electronic candles" located in a glass stand to the right of the altar, near the side door.:eek: They are "lit" by inserting coins to a slot at the front. As a cradle Catholic, I do not like them, as they offend my personal sense of tradition. But, I do understand the necessity.

FYI & BTW - The Camino Chaplaincy, managed by Johnnie Walker, coordinates Catholic Mass and Confession in English in the Cathedral proper, as well at churches along the Camino Frances (at present), in service to all pilgrims.

I hope this helps.

Last edited:
The Chapel is not a "church," per se. But, it is on the periphery of the medieval city and is suitable to purpose. Moreover, it is conveniently located for pilgrims. So, I thought I would toss that suggestion into the dialog.

I am happy if it helps...:)

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Catholic priest here, posting my first time. I'm guessing that with so many people requesting your prayers and candle lighting that you must be a very special person!

I did the Camino Portuguese in 2015, carrying the prayers of my parishioners, praying 4 or 5 of them at each shrine and church, open or closed. I went through my list (it was long) 5 times. I was so moved by their prayers and needs. That became one of the key parts of the spiritual side of my camino. Who knew? It was also a wonderful opportunity to take off the pack, untie the shoes, and have a moment's rest. Praying for your friends this way might work for you, too. And if having a candle lit at the shrine is important to your friends, you can leave a financial offering that is within your reach at the shrine (perhaps in the collection at Mass if you don't find a collection box), and while at the pilgrims Mass, choose one of the lit candles on the altar and connect your prayers with that bright spot.
Buen camino!!

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
I was looking at the wisepilgrim app for the Frances route and noticed that the distances don't always add up from one side to the other. Has anyone else noticed this? Am I being overly observant...
Today is Sunday and I finished my Camino from León on Friday. The thing is I am feeling off balanced. I feel like I am not done. Last night I started feeling anxious with the thought of going back...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back