• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Canfranc Donativo Albergue - a Camino dream

Pelerina

Camino Walker
Time of past OR future Camino
since 2011 …
Last night we had the great privilege to stay in the Elias Valina Albergue de Peregrinos in Canfranc Pueblo on the Camino Aragones. This is our third time on the Aragones but the first time since the albergue was opened.

There have been posts about this albergue before. We would like to add our thanks, appreciation and gratitude to @Rebekah Scott, FICS and all others involved in its design, building and operation. I can only imagine thé time, effort and perseverance that it takes to achieve something so special. And to the hospitaleros who care for this place and welcome pilgrims. For us, that was the wonderful @Adelina and Sue. What a treat to meet you both 😍

So many practical features and small but significant details make this albergue both unique and special, including the story of A Camino Dream - the work of Elias Valina. For us, and other pilgrims lucky enough to stay here, it is another kind of Camino dream.

For those who are not familiar with the albergue, information and photos can be found on Gronze.

Thank you to all involved 🙏

Attachments

• C5E0F1B1-E2D6-419A-905D-ACAA2FC1D10C.jpeg
    C5E0F1B1-E2D6-419A-905D-ACAA2FC1D10C.jpeg
    195.3 KB · Views: 362
  • DC780A2E-C524-410E-804D-41191CF565A9.jpeg
    DC780A2E-C524-410E-804D-41191CF565A9.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 65
  • 14E7FB7C-5BBD-49FC-B5A8-659EE0698B27.jpeg
    14E7FB7C-5BBD-49FC-B5A8-659EE0698B27.jpeg
    97.3 KB · Views: 68
  • EB6DCFF0-AA55-4EF3-A490-728D5B5FC7D2.jpeg
    EB6DCFF0-AA55-4EF3-A490-728D5B5FC7D2.jpeg
    6.3 MB · Views: 74
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
A selection of Camino Jewellery
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
One of the best albergues to be found anywhere. My first day was a joy except for the last 500 meters or so when the skies opened up. I would have loved to have sat out on the outdoor terrace on the second floor (or was it the third haha) and looked at the cliffs across from the albergue. Beautiful walk that first day and beautiful hospitaleros and albergue.

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I also enjoyed a fabulous night there on 6th May. Marianne was the hospitalera, everything was tip top. The Ritz, as she called it. The pub beside the albergue is closed, not sure of it reopening so Marianne was cooking nightly the dinner for pilgrims. Not easy without a shop in the village. Lovely peaceful village, stop there if you can and give generously for a wonderful service.

I also enjoyed a fabulous night there on 6th May. Marianne was the hospitalera, everything was tip top. The Ritz, as she called it. The pub beside the albergue is closed, not sure of it reopening so Marianne was cooking nightly the dinner for pilgrims. Not easy without a shop in the village. Lovely peaceful village, stop there if you can and give generously for a wonderful service.
The bar next door was open when we were there on Saturday 20 May 😎

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Unfortunately, this lovely Albergue was shut for the winter months when I passed by in early November 2022. I look forward to the next opportunity.

Last edited:
Unfortunately, this lovely Albergue was shut for the winter months when I passed by in early November 2022. I look forward to the next opportunity.
It is open April 1 - October 31. In 2021 (its inaugural season), the plan to keep it open through the end of November was abandoned after no pilgrims had arrived after Nov 2 and the costs to keep it up climbed with the cold weather. I hope you get a chance to visit during its season, it really is a special place.

Certainly! I look forward to the next opportunity.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Most read last week in this forum

We are walking next September from Jaca to Santa Cilia and Sanguesa to Abinzado where according to Gronze there are several extended parts of 10-15km without services and would like to hear...
I'm walking the Aragones in April, probably starting in Somport. I'm trying to get an idea of the public transport I'll need. BTW, thanks to everyone for all the info in previous posts. I've...
An article yesterday about plans by the Government of Aragon to promote the Caminos which pass through the region. Better publicity for their albergues, improved signposting and the creation of a...
I've been working on stages from Oloron-Sainte-Marie, and have come up with this plan. I'm hoping that those experienced with this route can chime in on whether these stages sound reasonable, or...
Are there any rucksack services along the Aragones? I am walking the Frances with my daughter starting in Pamplona. I have six extra days before she arrives and I thought I spend them walking from...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back