• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Canine Compostela

JabbaPapa

"True Pilgrim"
Time of past OR future Camino
100 characters or fewer : see signature details
So it seems that there is now a completion certificate for dogs who have accompanied pilgrims on the Way of Saint James.

https://elpais.com/elpais/2018/04/09/inenglish/1523267767_497591.html

FWIW it's silly to expect that the Church might issue documents for animals, but there's nothing wrong at all with this new parallel certification from the animal welfare association, and some pilgrims have long been clamouring for something of this sort.

I would suppose that those travelling on horseback or with a donkey could also benefit.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Not true, strictly speaking. This certificate is NOT from the Pilgrim Office or issued under authority from the Cathedral officials. Here is the operative language, cut & pasted from the El Pais story...

“Before APACA launched its initiative, it contacted the Church in Compostela responsible for issuing the certificates to humans, asking if they would extend the service to dogs, but to no avail. Consequently, the canine certificate does not yet have official status, but APACA and Neo’s owner have not yet thrown in the towel.”

Dog owners must be aware of this distinction and NOT press Pilgrim Office officials to issue this certificate. They should instead contact APACA.

Hope this helps.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Not true, strictly speaking. This certificate is NOT from the Pilgrim Office or issued under authority from the Cathedral officials.

I made neither of those claims, so what exactly is "untrue" in my pointing out that "a certificate" can now be obtained for the animals that some pilgrims may take with them on pilgrimage ?

I made neither of those claims, so what exactly is "untrue" in my pointing out that "a certificate" can now be obtained for the animals that some pilgrims may take with them on pilgrimage ?

I know. However, some may read into your original post without considering the full context.

My purpose was to just set the record straight so people did not show up at the Pilgrim Office expecting something for their pets that is, at present, not on offer.

Hope this helps

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
And just to throw some more info into the round: There is indeed a welcome certificate issued by the pilgrims office (occasionally) for SERVICE dogs (seeing eye dogs) that have made the camino to guide a seeing impaired pilgrim. It is not a Compostela (obviously) but a document that acknowledges the support dogs efforts. Over the last years I have met a few pilgrims who were offered said document. BC SY

And just to throw some more info into the round: There is indeed a welcome certificate issued by the pilgrims office (occasionally) for SERVICE dogs (seeing eye dogs) that have made the camino to guide a seeing impaired pilgrim. It is not a Compostela (obviously) but a document that acknowledges the support dogs efforts. Over the last years I have met a few pilgrims who were offered said document. BC SY

I was hoping you would not bring that up. Yes, that special-use certificate has been available at the Pilgrim Office for some years now. It is ONLY available in-person and on request.

However, I am told that the number issued is nil, as it is limited to only those sight-challenged peregrinos, who managed to make their way to Santiago assisted SOLELY by their blind guide dog.

That is why I did not mention this. My concern is for the ‘armchair lawyers’ out there who will show up and insist that their disability and entitlement is equal to someone who cannot see where they are walking unaided. It is NOT. The certificate is intended to be used only rarely.

Anyone who thinks they or their pet is entitled should sincerely try to walk in the mocassins of a sight-challenged person. Only then can one truly realize the exceptional and extraordinary nature of this special certificate. I am in awe and admiration of anyone who would dare to undertake any Camiño with that physical limitation.

Again, I knew this but chose not to go there.

BTW, in the US the airlines have finally petitioned the federal government to set restrictions on what ‘service animals’ must be allowed in the cabin. It really has gotten out of control, of late.

We’ve recently seen news stories about ferrets, peacocks, monkeys, and Vietnamese potbellied pigs, whose owners demand accommodation, and a free ride for their pet in the cabin. But my favorite is the uncrated python...seriously! You cannot make this stuff up.

Hope this helps.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
I was looking at the wisepilgrim app for the Frances route and noticed that the distances don't always add up from one side to the other. Has anyone else noticed this? Am I being overly observant...
Today is Sunday and I finished my Camino from León on Friday. The thing is I am feeling off balanced. I feel like I am not done. Last night I started feeling anxious with the thought of going back...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back