• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Help me choose a path for my 3rd Camino as a devout Catholic

TreshaA2

Time of past OR future Camino
Hola amigos! I finished the Central Portuguese from Tui including the Spiritual Variant in May. It was more than I ever hoped for! My best friend asked that I take her on that route-- and we are planning it for this coming May, and I'm thrilled!! I am not looking for the exact repeat magical experience for my second Camino, but open to it all unfolding! The crazy part is that I promised another friend I would take her to the Camino, but I really don't want to do the same route three times. I leave in September for my 3rd Camino with the second friend. Nope, can't have the two friends walk in May together, which leads me to my question--- for the third walk (last 100k) if it's not the Portuguese with the Spiritual Variant-- what path would you recommend for a very very devout Catholic (my girlfriend)? Thanks in advance!!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hard to say. For a very, very devout Catholic, I think the Portugues would be my first choice for a final 100 km. Purely because Padron is so closely associated with St. James and, for a devout Catholic, St. James is why one is going to Santiago de Compostela, after all.

If the Portugues is out, it's hard to say. You are probably looking at one of three options: Frances from Sarria, Ingles from Ferrol or Sanabres from Ourense. Each has its pros and cons. Full disclosure, of the three I have only walked the Frances.

Frances from Sarria has a lot of infrastructure to support pilgrims, has a lot of history as a pilgrimage route, has a lot of pilgrims and pilgrim groups.

Ingles from Ferrol gives you a "complete" Camino, a growing number of pilgrims, and some nice variety.

Sanabres from Ourense is the one I've heard the least about and probably the least travelled. But what I've heard has been very positive.

Last edited:
Perhaps as a slight modification to your last Camino, you could vary it by starting in Vigo or even further south in Baiona. We walked the coastal route this past spring (Porto to SdC) and thoroughly enjoyed it. You could still include the VE which really is a magical stretch of Camino.

Regarding that following Camino, try the Inglés. Another very good Camino experience that I’m sure you and your friend would enjoy. I look forward to walking it again once I get a couple others checked off my list.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hard to say. For a very, very devout Catholic, I think the Portugues would be my first choice for a final 100 km. Purely because Padron is so closely associated with St. James and, for a devout Catholic, St. James is why one is going to Santiago de Compostela, after all.

If the Portugues is out, it's hard to say. You are probably looking at one of three options: Frances from Sarria, Ingles from Ferrol or Sanabres from Ourense. Each has its pros and cons. Full disclosure, of the three I have only walked the Frances.

Frances from Sarria has a lot of infrastructure to support pilgrims, has a lot of history as a pilgrimage route, has a lot of pilgrims and pilgrim groups.

Ingles from Ferrol gives you a "complete" Camino, a growing number of pilgrims, and some nice variety.

Sanabres from Ourense is the one I've heard the least about and probably the least travelled. But what I've heard has been very positive.
Yes, David, that makes perfect sense. Why didn't I think of that... Walking the Spiritual Variant, visiting the monasteries along the way, staying at the Monastery in Armenteria, walking the path of Rock and Water and then the amazing boat ride with the crosses... and obtaining her Pedronia in Padron would be the obvious choice. Maybe go to Valenca and Tui just to see the sights and bus it to Baiona to start officially and bypass the slog to OPorrino. It is a quite a beautiful path and being with different walking partners each time will illuminate the paths quite differently for me! I have watched a bazillion YouTube vlogs of the routes from Sarria and from Ferrol and from Lugo and none come close to those experiences. Thank you!

Perhaps as a slight modification to your last Camino, you could vary it by starting in Vigo or even further south in Baiona. We walked the coastal route this past spring (Porto to SdC) and thoroughly enjoyed it. You could still include the VE which really is a magical stretch of Camino.

Regarding that following Camino, try the Inglés. Another very good Camino experience that I’m sure you and your friend would enjoy. I look forward to walking it again once I get a couple others checked off my list.
I think starting in Baiona is a great idea!!!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Longer than 100 k, but my absolutely favorite Camino walk was the Primitivo from Oviedo to Santiago. Distance was 305 k.

Yes, David, that makes perfect sense. Why didn't I think of that... Walking the Spiritual Variant, visiting the monasteries along the way, staying at the Monastery in Armenteria, walking the path of Rock and Water and then the amazing boat ride with the crosses... and obtaining her Pedronia in Padron would be the obvious choice. Maybe go to Valenca and Tui just to see the sights and bus it to Baiona to start officially and bypass the slog to OPorrino. It is a quite a beautiful path and being with different walking partners each time will illuminate the paths quite differently for me! I have watched a bazillion YouTube vlogs of the routes from Sarria and from Ferrol and from Lugo and none come close to those experiences. Thank you!
Added to that I fully recommend the monastery in Herbon, which is very close to Padron. When leaving the boat, walk to Herbon and then the next day walk across to Padron and then on. A very spiritual experience and the volunteers, second to none, very caring and very entertaining. Special pilgrim blessing too in the church.

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back