• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Which last 120km route should I take to Santiago?

Groen

Time of past OR future Camino
Hi all,

Next week we will travel to Santiago to walk the last 120 km of one of the routes in 6 days. (Est. 20 km/day, but can be a bit more.) From all the guides and websites it is a bit hard to see which route has actually the nicest last 120 km.

If you only walk the last six days, which route should we choose? (taking into account that we need to be able to take a bus to the starting point, but that doesn't seem too big of a problem).

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Hi Groen. I'm in a similar position to you - going to Santiago next week for a week, and had to select a route.

I've walked the Frances twice, the Ingles once and Santiago-Finisterre (but not Muxia), so I had the choice of doing one of them again or trying one of the others. In the end I opted to walk the Sanabres from Ourense, mainly because I haven't done it before and am interested in hearing from other pilgs about the Via de la Plata.

As so often, I guess it depends what you're looking for. Sarria onwards will be fairly busy with a lot of the April departures from SJPP coming through, but great if you're looking forward to meeting people and like lots of options. The Camino Ingles is much quieter and fewer options (distances, places to stay etc) but pretty. The route to Finisterre is a nice happy medium but lacks the ending in Santiago unless you walk it in reverse (in which case you may only meet people in passing).

So I might see you in Ourense! Enjoy whatever you choose and Buen Camino!

I have just finished walking from Covas, north of Ferrol, taking six days. The albergue at Covas meets your other criteria. I flew into SDC and took a municipal bus from the airport to the bus station (3 euro) and then the bus to Ferrol (~10 euro) and taxi the last 10 km to Covas (~12 euro). There is also a local bus that services Covas, but I was happy to pay for a taxi for that last leg. My walking notes for the leg from Covas to Ferrol are in the resources area, and the CSJ guide to the Camino Ingles is an excellent resource.

The hospitaleros at Covas will arrange for a credential if you let them know in advance that you will be staying there.

It is a much quieter route than the CF. For example, I was the only pilgrim staying at Covas and Pontedueme, and while I did meet other pilgrims on the road, there weren't that many. I think it would be an excellent option for you to consider.

Regards,

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Thanks for the tips!

Based on what you will see along the route, is there one preferable? Which route is more scenic / with nice buildings/villages?

Thanks for the tips!

Based on what you will see along the route, is there one preferable? Which route is more scenic / with nice buildings/villages?
Of the three I've done I'd say the Ingles was the most scenic. Starting from Ferrol you spend the first day or so walking near the sea before going inland. There was one quite long stretch walking through a forest which was a bit dull (it was along logging roads rather than a nice forest trail), but overall I'd go for that one.

Of the three I've done I'd say the Ingles was the most scenic. Starting from Ferrol you spend the first day or so walking near the sea before going inland. There was one quite long stretch walking through a forest which was a bit dull (it was along logging roads rather than a nice forest trail), but overall I'd go for that one.

Ah! The route from Ferrol seems nice. Do you think it will be hard to find any Alberques along the route? In which places did you stop?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Shockingly, I can't really remember much about where I stayed! I know I got a bit off schedule because I got a bug on the plane over and Day 1 nearly killed me, so I also stayed in Mino on Day 2 (which I don't think is normal) and generally stayed in hostals more than albergues. I think I stayed in Pontedeume, Mino, Betanzos, Meson do Vento and Sigueiro.

I don't remember anyone saying they had problems finding a place, but that was September. John Walker's guide is good for the specifics.

Ah yes! I remember the cheap hostal in Sigueiro had a problem with the (communal) bathroom. I'm not sure what had happened but the whole room was ankle deep in water. I thought the ceiling might collapse.

I walked from Ferrol from the 8th of April and didn't have any trouble finding a place to sleep. I also stayed mostly in hostales/ pensiones.
Ferrol Hostal Silva
Naron Hostal Marcial
Pontedeume Bar restaurante Luis
Betanzos Hotel Garelos ( too expensive for what as offered but quiet and nice breakfast in view of that day's hard stage )
Hospital de Bruma Albergue
Siguiero : Miras hostal
Santiago : Pension Hortas

A selection of Camino Jewellery
If, as I did, you want to walk for six days, the following was where I stayed:

Day 0 Covas - Albergue
Day 1 Parador de Ferrol
Day 2 Pontedueme - Albergue
Day 3 Albergue de Bentanzos
Day 4 Albergue de Bruma
Day 5 Seguiero - Hostal Miras (stamp is Concello de Oroso)
Day 6 Santiago

@SabineP, it had slipped my mind that you were a couple of days ahead of me. How did it go?

Hi Doug,
It did go really well. Very impressed by the beauty of the Ingles although some tarmac parts were rather despressing. But all in all a nice walk. Was very lucky with the weather. Only in the first ten k. out of Pontedeume it rained. On the contrary : getting really hot ( for my liking ) on some days. Especially with a dark coloured shirt and fleece ( result mini heatstroke in Siguiero , silly me...;) ). Met some pilgrims in the evenings ( Pontedeume and Betanzos ) but was alone during the day. Some older ladies and gentlemen found it irresponsible that I was walking by myself...Tried to reassure them. Loved Pontedeume and Betanzos and will certainly return for a regular holiday.

So, how was it for you?

Thanks for all the replies. After considering all we have chosen to start in Sarria so our first Camino will be a more easy wone with more choises in accomodation and smaller distances so we can see how that goes...

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hi, I am a first time, solo pilgrim, long time traveller planning a 6-10 days route (my days are currently flexible at the moment). My question is similar to the original post so I thought I could add my queries here. I am looking at options for a shorter pilgrimage ending in Santiago, leaving this year in early September. I would also like to include Finisterre but depending on time I'd consider bus or an extra day walking.
I have looked at 1: Sarria to Santiago but wonder if this will be overcrowded in September. This seems to be the typical route that everyone does, especially first timers and those with limited time such as myself. I can't decide if I should follow this typical route or go for the road slightly less travelled.
2: Portgugese Way - starting in Porto or Tui - sounds beautiful and maybe less crowded?
3: Camino Ingles or Camino del Norte..sections of... I don't know much about these trails yet.

I have trekked before but I'm not a seasoned hiker. I would say average fitness.
I definitely want to walk the 100k minimum for my Compostela.
I really want to meet people along the way but I'm also happy to try a less crowded option.

Any advice appreciated.

Take a bus to Muxia from Santiago, then walk to Fisterra and back to Santiago. If you stay on the road from Muxia to Cee going to Fisterra, all the terrain change is gentle and the footing is good. Reverse waymarks from Fisterra to Santiago can be a bit difficult to follow, so be sure you have some guidance like maps or a guidebook.

Ourense to Santiago also qualifies for a Compostela, and the terrain is not bad. The first day climb out of Ourense is a bit tough, though.

The Camino Inglés from Ferrol is a good first Camino. Good signing but the CSJ online guide, by @JohnnieWalker , is valuable for directions and other useful advice. As a 'complete' camino in itself at over 100kms the Inglés qualifies for a Compostela. Good scenery and some challenging hills, and well worth walking.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Why not Lugo? It's just over 100 Kms, so you could spend one whole day in this so interesting city! The last two days. You will join the Francés in Melide in any case, so will have the best of both worlds!
Ourense is another good choice, apart from this incredibly steep hill that you have to tackle just shortly after having left the town!

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
I was looking at the wisepilgrim app for the Frances route and noticed that the distances don't always add up from one side to the other. Has anyone else noticed this? Am I being overly observant...
Today is Sunday and I finished my Camino from León on Friday. The thing is I am feeling off balanced. I feel like I am not done. Last night I started feeling anxious with the thought of going back...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back