• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Can't get out of our country

Kiwi-family

{Rachael, the Mama of the family}
Time of past OR future Camino
walking every day for the rest of my life
We have been trying for the past few days to book tickets to Madrid and have been singularly unsuccessful. Now we are asking ourselves whether we are maybe meant to NOT be walking.....or whether we are supposed to practice perseverance. Is this going to be a camino of trials?
We found cheap tickets online and decided to dispense with our friendly travel agent. After a few days of not being able to use the sites, we sent off an email to our travel agent and another one we have used in the past. Three days have elapsed and we haven't heard from either of them! We have tried the online sites again and have had feedback from customer service about how to get around one of the problems, but can't get back onto the site! If we manage to, we have to put in a fake birthdate for one of our kids who will be an adult by the time of travel and then ring them up and they will change the "mistake" free of charge! The other site we have managed to use today will not take our money. But they won't let us fly for free either so it looks like we are stuck DownUnder.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Lesson learned, look for the cheap tickets ( times, schedules etc ) on cheap sites, BUT purchase the tickets directly from the airlines because if you ever have a problem dealing direct with issued airlines tickets will make you live a lot easier.

Zzotte

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Perhaps it is not so much a matter of a door closing, as it is a matter of your being redirected. Are there other time or location options to be considered yet?

I have come around to Zzotte's way of thinking.
Previously I would take the results of my research to a local travel agent and have them book the flights. My reasoning was that it would be good to have a local contact if anything went wrong while I was away.
Nothing has ever gone wrong that I couldn't handle.
I now book direct with the airline and one immediate benefit has been the "no charge" when I needed to change flights or delay a flight a few days. If you book thru an agent expect a charge of up to $200 to change flights.
Looking fwd to 2016!
Regards
Gerard

Last edited:
Have you tried Jetabroad? Super easy to use. Very helpful to deal with I found...I use them every time. Gitti

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
We have been trying for the past few days to book tickets to Madrid and have been singularly unsuccessful. Now we are asking ourselves whether we are maybe meant to NOT be walking.....or whether we are supposed to practice perseverance. Is this going to be a camino of trials?
We found cheap tickets online and decided to dispense with our friendly travel agent. After a few days of not being able to use the sites, we sent off an email to our travel agent and another one we have used in the past. Three days have elapsed and we haven't heard from either of them! We have tried the online sites again and have had feedback from customer service about how to get around one of the problems, but can't get back onto the site! If we manage to, we have to put in a fake birthdate for one of our kids who will be an adult by the time of travel and then ring them up and they will change the "mistake" free of charge! The other site we have managed to use today will not take our money. But they won't let us fly for free either so it looks like we are stuck DownUnder.

You have probably tried this already, but on the technical side, have you tried using a different browser on your computer? Like Firefox for instance. Sometimes when it appears the site isn't responsing, it is because it doesn't work well with the browser you are using. If you are using Sarfari for instance, try Firefox. Just a thought.

Hola Kiwi - maybe they Camino God wants you to stay home and watch the Wallabies win the Rugby World Cup!!!
On my first Camino adventure I looked at ways to get to Madrid either in less time or for less dollars. It turned out that that these two desires are pretty much mutually exclusive : pay more and fly direct; pay less and take up to 36 hours to reach Madrid. The other lesson I learnt - book as far ahead as possible (virtually as soon as you have determined your dates).
I know that this does not help "now" - so how about going back to your travel agent - in person if possible. Cheers.

Hope a solution finds you soon. I have only ever flown into Madrid once- our options of airlines to get directly there seem quite limited from this end of the world. All the best!
Margaret

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Its the pits isn't it? I find telephoning the airlines direct finishes up by being easiest.

sharp34-for-everything-there-is-a-reason-and-a-time-for-every-purpose-under-heaven.-sharp34--ecclesiastes-3-1.jpg
Love this thanks for posting

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

Most read last week in this forum

I begin my first Camino in mid-May from SJPdP. Due to time constraints related to available PTO, I unfortunately have to skip a few towns along the way if I am to start in SJPdP and end in...
I have just popped my Targeta Dorada (Golden Ticket) in my packing box. They cost €12 and cannot be bought online, but can be renewed online. If journeying too or from the Camino on Spanish trains...
Hi there i'm a first time Camino walker - planning for Sept this year. I have a question if anyone can help. We are going with friends but we can't fly out at the same time so we are going to fly...
Warning for those flying in to France -- there's a strike tomorrow April 25th, which likely will NOT prevent flying in or out of the country on international flights, but is very likely to affect...
Hi everyone! I would greatly appreciate your suggestions for the best summer beaches in Galicia that are easily accessible by car or bus from Santiago de Compostela. Thanks!
A friend due to walk from Sarria to SdC next month is now injured still wants to go along with group walking. Any advice on transport options for him to go from Stage to Stage. All options...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back