• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Can't receive a package from abroad as a tourist?

ratyoke

Time of past OR future Camino
Via de la Plata (April 2016)
About a week before I arrived in Salamanca I asked my mom in the US to send a few things I couldn't find in Spain to the hotel I would be staying at. Instead of the package, I get a letter from the post office telling me my package is in customs with instructions on how to get it. Go online, do whatever, pay duty, etc. The woman working at the hotel was kind enough to translate for me. Anyway, I took the letter to the post office to see if it was possible to do it there. It's not. The guy at the post office is telling me to do it online. Online I must register, and to do that I need a DNI number. Of course I don't have that, and entering my passport number is unacceptable.

So how can I get my package? Is it even possible for me to get it? I don't know what I can do.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I'm Spanish and some times I by some vitamins in the USA , my experiences are are that if your package is at the customs Agencia Tributaria , sometimes take about 2 hours to get it ( if you go there personaly ) .
If you do it through Correos ( post office) it would take a few days and a lot of money ( a size of shoes box is about 60 Euros , very expensive for the value of the products .

To tell you the truth is like a nightmare !!

So my recommendation if you don't really need the product is tell them to send it back home .

If you go personally to The Charge Terminal ( Terminal de Cargas ) in Madrid Barajas Aeroport Adolfo Suarez It would cost you something like maybe 15 or 20 Euros ( but is very complicate to handel it ( first you go to Post office Correos , is not easy to get there , then you go Agencia Tributaria is about 10 minutes walking ,fill a full paper after you have waited a for a while here and in Correos , Then you go to pay to the bank in another building , go again to Agencia Tribitaria ( wait) , say you are no introducing medicine or any other product ( say better vitamins ).
If they don't believe you it could stay for weeks before it get cheket by experts , if they trust you it would be given to you .
As I say before , if it goes for good two hours more or less!!

I told you is a Hell ( I have been going thought that a couple of time ( that's way I don't order any more from outside the European Union!

Sorry to tell you all that !!

God lack and Buen Camino

Thanks for your replies. I'm letting the package go back to the US.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.

Most read last week in this forum

Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...
I'm looking for the best app to use whilst walking on the Camino. Usually I just rely on my Apple watch but I'm leaving that at home, so need an app use that I can pause at rest stops etc...
Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
The logical thing for me to do is bring a Kindle, but TBH I like books, and for me leaving electronic gubbins behind while I do the Camino, appeals. I am thinking of taking one book on The...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back