• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Caparra walking and accommodation options

geraldkelly

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Francés, Vía de la Plata / Camino Sanabrés, Camino del Baztán, Camino Aragonés, Chemin du Puy
A lot of people find the part of the Via de la Plata around Caparra confusing. Between Carcaboso and Aldeanuevo all accommodations options are off the Camino and there is several different ways to walk.

I tried describing this in the text for the guide but I realise this just ended up being confusing. So I decided to do a diagram which would show the different options available to you on this part of the Camino in a way which (I hope) will be easy to understand.

Attachments

• Via Chart Caparra.png
    Via Chart Caparra.png
    500.3 KB · Views: 999
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Thanks so much, this is great. The last time I walked the Vdlp, just “para variar,” I looked for the route that turns off before Galisteo and goes via San Gil. But I couldn’t find it. And Galisteo is a nice place for a cold drink on a hot day anyway.

I was surprised to see that there are several off-road options in addition to Hostal Asturias, which seems to have gotten a corner on the market. When Señora Elena in Carcaboso was alive, she used to almost strong-arm people into going to Hostal Asturias, so maybe now the others have broken into the market. Has anyone stayed in either of the other two listed, the Jarilla or the Avión? Your map shows how easy it is to just walk to any of them, rather than sit and wait for a pick-up at Caparra.

And for those who decide to spend a night in Oliva de Plasencia, I would suggest continuing on to Caparra to visit the site and then going on Gerard’s red line from Caparra back to Oliva. (that is, rather than turning off to Oliva before getting to Caparra). It’s a short day from Carcaboso, and that way you can visit the site and the museum at Caparra at your leisure. The next day, walking back to Caparra from Oliva, if you’re lucky you’ll catch the arch in the warm morning sunlight, but won’t have to wait around for the rest of the site to open up.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
A lot of people find the part of the Via de la Plata around Caparra confusing. Between Carcaboso and Aldeanuevo all accommodations options are off the Camino and there is several different ways to walk.

I tried describing this in the text for the guide but I realise this just ended up being confusing. So I decided to do a diagram which would show the different options available to you on this part of the Camino in a way which (I hope) will be easy to understand.
Excellent Gerald,just what I have been grappling with for the last couple of days.
Thank you.

Thanks so much, this is great. The last time I walked the Vdlp, just “para variar,” I looked for the route that turns off before Galisteo and goes via San Gil. But I couldn’t find it. And Galisteo is a nice place for a cold drink on a hot day anyway.

I was surprised to see that there are several off-road options in addition to Hostal Asturias, which seems to have gotten a corner on the market. When Señora Elena in Carcaboso was alive, she used to almost strong-arm people into going to Hostal Asturias, so maybe now the others have broken into the market. Has anyone stayed in either of the other two listed, the Jarilla or the Avión? Your map shows how easy it is to just walk to any of them, rather than sit and wait for a pick-up at Caparra.

And for those who decide to spend a night in Oliva de Plasencia, I would suggest continuing on to Caparra to visit the site and then going on Gerard’s red line from Caparra back to Oliva. (that is, rather than turning off to Oliva before getting to Caparra). It’s a short day from Carcaboso, and that way you can visit the site and the museum at Caparra at your leisure. The next day, walking back to Caparra from Oliva, if you’re lucky you’ll catch the arch in the warm morning sunlight, but won’t have to wait around for the rest of the site to open up.
When I walked in 2021 I did the short day I did the short day from Galisteo to Carcabosa. I slept at the ALbergue Senora Elena. The owners were ok but I thought the bed was really bad. Way too soft for me. But there was not much of a choice. Got up early the next day and walked to the Arco de Caparra. Walked around for a little while and then called the Hostel Asturias and they came in a van after about 25 minute wait. The driver was really nice. The room at the Hostel was nothing to write home about, a single bed in a tiny room with a really tint bathroom. It was clean and quiet and I had a good night's sleep. It gets some mixed reviews on Gronze.com. I thought the owners were really nice and the food was good. I have nothing bad to say about it. I did cheat and walk along a road as the owner suggested to Alddeanueva. It meets up with the Camino after about 5 or 6K. Did another 20 or so kilometers and slept at Albergue Turistico Via De La Plata in Banos de Montemayor. That was a wonderful albergue. I have been thinking of doing another southern camino and start in Cordoba to Santiago. If I do I would probably follow the same itinerary.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Doing shorter stages (2022) I spent a night at Placencia and also stayed at the hotel in Jarilla which was great. I had a room facing the parking lot which gave a wonderful view of the hills and sunset as I rested in my bed. The restaurant served a very satisfactory meal.
I walked to Hotel Jarilla from the Camino and then onwards along the minor road till I joined again.
I found it pretty easy to find the off Camino accomodation but didn’t know about the Via Verde which I would have taken to Hervas instead of doing the road loop. Hervas was my one side trip and well worth it.
The map does make it easier. Thanks Gerald.

Attachments

• 7B58138E-2176-4F28-B605-3AFBF7642B17.jpeg
    7B58138E-2176-4F28-B605-3AFBF7642B17.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 29
I biked the via verde in 2019 southbound and walked the normal route northbound in 2020 and can say that the via verde is quite spectacular! However, in 2019 it was closed south of Hervas so I had to returned to the highway there.

Most read last week in this forum

I am posting daily blog style updates on Facebook that anyone can see and follow: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.8095032397178476&type=3 There are also video format stories visible on...
Hello, First time posting but as Google hasn't been helpful I was hoping others here might be able to help with an odd query. I am considering the Via de la Plata from Seville via Sanabres as my...
Hey folks. I started the Mozarabe from Almeria and took time out in Salamanca to do a 3 week Spanish course in USAL. The course was fine. 4 hours a day. For the first week we had an excellent...
Y’all, one week from today I get on the plane to fly to Sevilla. Growing anxiety. I will start El Camino on April 6. I hope to report progress here and continue to look for advice. How does...
Does anybody have any good ideas about secure carparking whilst doing the Vía de la Plata from Sevilla to Merida please?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back