A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

Luggage Transfer Correos

Car parking Santiago de Compostela.

Camino Badges

Bisnick

Camino(s) past & future
Portuguese "2015" missed one day. Portuguese "2016" full trip fingers crossed.
I know, not the usual forum question but I was due to return to the Camino Portuguese in September with a friend who has been recuperating from a serious illness and has now had a relapse so we are planning for next April/May. Instead I am going to visit with my wife and hire a car from Porto and then show her all the highlights of the Camino and then stay in Santiago for three nights then take the train down to Lisbon for the second week.
So my question is are there any cheap/free parking areas close to the centre that any of you are aware of?
Regards
Nick

Tia Valeria

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Pt Norte/Pmtvo 2010
C. Inglés 2011
C. Primitivo '12
Norte-C. de la Reina '13
C. do Mar-C. Inglés '15
Easiest way probably is to choose a hotel with free parking on the outskirts of Santiago and then take a taxi into the centre. They are allowed fairly near to the Cathedral/into the Plaza de Obradoiro itself. Booking.com gives parking info so chosse one with parking/garage parking - and check whether it is free or the cost per day/night etc.

sulu

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Ronces-SdC (03-04/10);Oporto-SdC (10/2011); VdlP via Portugal 03/04 2012/2013;Part Invierno 2012; Toulouse to Sarrance 2012; Ingles to Muxia June 2013 Cami Catala and Aragones 2014; El Salvador & Primitivo 2014; Camino de Madrid 2016; Levante 2015,2017
I don't know of anywhere to park for free near the centre, in fact I am certain there isn't anywhere. The closest place I know of is the area called Fontinas, it is on the camino Frances, near the Albergue Fin del camino, or the Acuario. There is loads of parking, getting a vacant spot is another thing entirely, it's a very popular area during the working day, afternoons and evenings there are usually places. It is a bit of a walk into the centre but it is on a bus route.

natefaith

Staff member
Camino(s) past & future
Sarria-Santiago (2009)
León-Ponferrada (2014)
Camino Inglés (2017)
Hi Nick,
You can also park in the parking lot of Belvis, down the hill from the Mercado de Abastos. It's the cheapest in the center, but it can fill up quickly on market days.

Bisnick

Camino(s) past & future
Portuguese "2015" missed one day. Portuguese "2016" full trip fingers crossed.
Thank you all for the quick replies.

Book your lodging here

Get e-mail updates from Casa Ivar (Forum + Forum Store content)

Advertisement

Booking.com

Latest posts

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 15 1.4%
  • February

Votes: 6 0.6%
  • March

Votes: 43 4.0%
  • April

Votes: 162 15.2%
  • May

Votes: 261 24.6%