• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Car rental from Lourdes to SJPdP

amyshmn

Time of past OR future Camino
1 week Portugal route - 2016
Full French route - 2021
I will be flying into either PUF or LDE, and would like to take a day to visit Lourdes prior to starting the Camino in SJPdP. Does anyone know if there is a car rental agency which allows for a one-way rental from Lourdes to SJPdP? I discovered there is a car rental agency (Carrefour Market) in SJPdP and a Carrefour just outside the LDE airport. But when I tried calling the LDE Carrefour (+33 5 62 42 76 30) - no one answered. When I try the Carrefour website, I cannot find a one-way option. Does anyone have any information or suggestions?

I've also considered a private driver but discovered that's insanely expensive. My preference is to NOT be tied to a bus/train schedule.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I looked at Rome2 Rio and the train looks like the best option. Of the many times I have been in SJPdP, I never remember seeing a car rental agency but then the last time I was there was in 2018. However, there are rental agencies in Bayonne so that would be an option.

Check out kayak.com for car rentals. In 2019 I rented a car (one way) from Lourdes to Nice.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
There are two rental agencies at Lourdes railway station (europcar and avis) but I suspect an option for one way to SJPP is not available. I strongly recommend the train journey from Lourdes to SJPP. There are 4 trains a day from Lourdes with connections to SJPP via Bayonne. The train station in Lourdes is only a 10 minute walk from the grotto in Lourdes. If you want to book the train tickets in advance try https://en.oui.sncf/ . For a reasonable hotel with AC in Lourdes try the Hotel Helgon. The manager there, Francois, is a fellow Santiago pilgrim.

My preference is to NOT be tied to a bus/train schedule.
Plenty of one-way to Biarritz. You'll need to walk, cab or bus from there.

Me, I'd rather catch a train than be tied to pick-up / drop-off schedules, collision warranty, fuel replacement, use & abuse regulations of the average car-hire company

when we did our CF last 2017, we visited Lourdes for a pre-Camino pilgrimage ;). We took the train to SJDPP and it wasnt that bad and it wasnt expensive back then plus we did meet pilgrims who started their camino in SJDPP.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I will be flying into either PUF or LDE, and would like to take a day to visit Lourdes prior to starting the Camino in SJPdP. Does anyone know if there is a car rental agency which allows for a one-way rental from Lourdes to SJPdP? I discovered there is a car rental agency (Carrefour Market) in SJPdP and a Carrefour just outside the LDE airport. But when I tried calling the LDE Carrefour (+33 5 62 42 76 30) - no one answered. When I try the Carrefour website, I cannot find a one-way option. Does anyone have any information or suggestions?

I've also considered a private driver but discovered that's insanely expensive. My preference is to NOT be tied to a bus/train schedule.
You car hire car at Lourdes Tarbes Airport. I've been there many times. Search online. You should have no difficulty

I understand not wanting to be tied to train/bus schedules, but you are trading that inconvenience for the bigger ones of car rental office schedules, fueling stations, finding parking, driving, etc.

If you fly into Lourdes, there is a bus that will take you to the downtown area of the Grotto. From Pau, there are also buses and train service. To get to SJPdP from Lourdes, the train is very convenient. There is no need for a car IN Lourdes itself and the added cost of paid parking, gas, etc is another hassle to handle.

if you do rent a car, though, make it worth your while by visiting spots that are close to the CF but which you can’t see while walking: the Aspe Valley up to Somport, San Juan de le Pena, etc. Then the car hassle may be worth it.

You can take a grain from SJPdP to Lourdes via Bayone. Takes about 3 hrs.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Thank you to all for your wonderful and information responses. You've given me quite a bit to think about. I also appreciated all the additional hints regarding places to see along the way, places to stay in Lourdes, etc. Thank you, thank you!!

If you visit Lourdes, you are already very close to the Camino Aragones. Why don't you start with this branch of the Camino?

Starting point could be e.g. Somport Pass or Oloron St. Marie. You will then join the main route of the Camino Frances just before Puente la Reina. Both starting points can be reached easily by train and bus.

In my opinion the Camino Aragones is more beautiful and definitely less crowded than the Camino Frances.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
These both cite going via Lourdes

https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...uy-to-st-jean-roncesvalles-via-lourdes.57158/

or

There are so many choices to ponder.

Whenever/wherever you do go Buen camino.

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

hola, I have been trying to book a train from Madrid to Sarria to meet with friends on the Camino. The process works until the payment page. It asks for an email address and a phone number...
Last year made the mistake of travelling after the 500k walk to Porto and Barcelona and Cadaqués then the UK.(All amazing) but I was too tired to make the most of it. So this year I’m lucky...
I trying to purchase my one way ticket from Santiago de Compostela to Porto.I cannot find any info on bringing my luggage with me( a small carry on and a knapsack) anyone taken this bus? Can I...
Beginning March 1, my husband and I walked from Santo Domingo de la Calzada to Astorga on the CF. Prior to our trip, I had contracted with Jacotrans to move our bags for 21 straight days...
Trying to determine best way from Madrid airport to Leon? Thank you
Just saw a press release from Correos announcing that they will be offering a left luggage service at all of their 2,000+ offices throughout Spain. For up to 15 days at a time...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back