• In case you had not seen it, there is a new link in the top menu to the most popular contents on the forum from the last 90 days, 1 year and all the way from the beginning in 2004.
A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

Luggage Transfer Correos

Car rental Madrid to Pamplona - drop off on a Sunday?

2020 Camino Guides

bopper NYC

Camino(s) past & future
asd asdsadsa asdsa
Does anyone have any experience renting a car at Madrid airport and Driving to Pamplona on a Sunday?
I'm specifically concerned about the drop off since most places seem to be closed on Sundays and there are some weird drop off procedures - having trouble getting a clear picture.

We're 3 people, and would all share the drive, so it does make sense for us to drive vs. train...

Thanks for any info.

Donjek

Camino(s) past & future
2012 SJPdP - Fisterra
Does anyone have any experience renting a car at Madrid airport and Driving to Pamplona on a Sunday?
I'm specifically concerned about the drop off since most places seem to be closed on Sundays and there are some weird drop off procedures - having trouble getting a clear picture.

We're 3 people, and would all share the drive, so it does make sense for us to drive vs. train...

Thanks for any info.
Renting a car ~might~ be cheaper ... but I doubt it because rental companies don't like drop offs at different locations. You're probably having trouble getting a clear picture because its not encouraged. Don't forget to include gas in your calculations.

Train or bus is less hassle.

If you're going to SJPdP go to Bayonne via San Sebastian and Irun instead.

SabineP

Camino = Empathy + Compassion.
Camino(s) past & future
some and then more. see my signature.
I agree with the others posters. Public transport might be more efficient and less stressful.

Also , don't forget that driving out of Madrid ( even on a Sunday ) can be a hassle.

Dropping of a rental car when there is no staff available can be complicated.
Take lots of pictures of the car when you return it because some companies are famous for billing you extras for so called defects.

mjal

Camino(s) past & future
CF : stages 2008, 2017, 2018 ; completed.

Thanks for any info.
We have not driven from Madrid airport but did once return a car there ; driving in was not an issue.

One-way rental with Sunday drop-off : on two occasions, both from Bilbao airport, first to Logrono rail station, second to Leon station. Depots were both closed, no rental personnel present ; keys left at car-park office at Logrono, posted into a box at Leon.

There were no problems on either occasion with the return and no unpleasant surprises later re damages etc. The rental companies were Budget and Avis.

Why did we not use the bus? There was no middle-of-the day bus from Bilbao to Logrono on a Sunday ; the journey to Leon (from Bilbao) was again on a Sunday and would have been unduly laborious by bus. The car also meant that we could stop at Burgos to visit the cathedral, which we had missed the previous month while cycling the CF, but it was closed to tourists due to the Corpus Christi procession etc... we shall do better next time!

mgnswaus

Camino(s) past & future
Le Puy to Muxia 2012. Arles to Puente la Reina 2013. Puente la Reina to SdC 2014 European Peace Walk 2016 Portuguese 2017 Ingles 2017
Check the Alsa bus website. It’s very easy to use.
Buses from airport @ 01.15 - Pamp 06.33. 10.30 - 15.35. 15.15 - 20.20. 19.45 - 00.45. Also 11 buses from central Madrid.

Book your lodging here

Get e-mail updates from Casa Ivar (Forum + Forum Store content)

Advertisement

Booking.com

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 15 1.3%
  • February

Votes: 9 0.8%
  • March

Votes: 49 4.2%
  • April

Votes: 174 15.0%
  • May

Votes: 283 24.3%