• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

car rental?

Mark61

Time of past OR future Camino
4/16/18 start 5/18/18 finish
I was thinking of renting a car at Barcelona airport and driving to Bayonne. Is this a good idea?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Afraid I can't give any specific advice but just be aware that in my experience pick ups in one country and drop offs in another tend to be VERY expensive. Trying to rent a car for one day going from Santiago to Porto last year would have cost me nearly €500!.

I'm seeing $180 USD from airport to Pomplona (unlimited miles).

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I'm just wondering how it is to drive on the roads. Is it GPS friendly?

Well that's not too crazy, but I think it woul dgo up a fair bit if you were crossing the border into France.

Hope it all works out.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I'm just wondering how it is to drive on the roads. Is it GPS friendly?

Should be fine. If you're using your phone GPS might be worth just downloading the maps in advance at home with cheap data so you're not relying on roaming abroad.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Change of plans. I didn't know you needed a Europe permit to drive. Decided to try rail.

@Mark61 if you are specifically wanting Bayonne - train to Pamplona, then train to Bayonne. If you are wanting to get to SJPDP then you can get off the train at Pamplona and catch the bus direct to SJPDP. Much easier.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
@Mark61 if you are specifically wanting Bayonne - train to Pamplona, then train to Bayonne. If you are wanting to get to SJPDP then you can get off the train at Pamplona and catch the bus direct to SJPDP. Much easier.
Thanks, that's what I'll do. How early does the bus route start to SJPDP?

Change of plans. I didn't know you needed a Europe permit to drive. Decided to try rail.
What country do you live in?
Two years ago I drove a rental from Madrid to Pamplona, no permit (I live in the US). Not really cost effective for someone by themselves.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
What country do you live in?
Two years ago I drove a rental from Madrid to Pamplona, no permit (I live in the US). Not really cost effective for someone by themselves.

US. When I read the requirements it did say drivers license and a permit needed to rent car. Oh well, I'm doing train.

I know the OP has solved his issue, but I have two related comments for others. First, when you look at the cost of a car rental with a one way and drop off in another country, the price at first looks quite appealing. When you click your way through, the add-on fee for the drop off is added and it is usually quite astonishing, like 400 € or more!

Second thing -- I have both bought and rented cars in Spain and I have never had one of those international driving permits. In the US, they are issued by AAA (American Automobile Association). They are not expensive, about $20, but I have never bothered to go get one. In my many experiences, the only thing the authorities and the car rental people want to see if your US license. I always bring my drivers license on the camino, because you never know....

I know the OP has solved his issue, but I have two related comments for others. First, when you look at the cost of a car rental with a one way and drop off in another country, the price at first looks quite appealing. When you click your way through, the add-on fee for the drop off is added and it is usually quite astonishing, like 400 € or more!

Second thing -- I have both bought and rented cars in Spain and I have never had one of those international driving permits. In the US, they are issued by AAA (American Automobile Association). They are not expensive, about $20, but I have never bothered to go get one. In my many experiences, the only thing the authorities and the car rental people want to see if your US license. I always bring my drivers license on the camino, because you never know....

Thanks. I'm feeling a lot better to take the train, I was worried about all the hidden cost; and yes, always carry license!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Drop off fees in Europe are VERY high, double-check before you commit. Drop-off fees in another country are outrageous!

When it comes to convenience services like parcel post and car rental, the European Union does not exist. Each nation is administered separately, as though the union never happened. This can be frustrating., But one just has to deal with it.

Caveat emptor.

For a one way rental from Madrid Airport to Pamplona Airport for 24 hours is a total of 40 euros from Hertz.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
For a one way rental from Madrid Airport to Pamplona Airport for 24 hours is a total of 40 euros from Hertz.
Are you sure? Isn't it 40 EUR when you pick up the car in Madrid plus 60 EUR when you drop it off at Pamplona? Plus, obviously, petrol for about 45 EUR.

For Barcelona-Pamplona I see about the same, depending on which roads you take. Viamichelin.fr gives me 3 options, some with toll roads.

Public transport seems the best and most relaxing option.

PS: I put the date of Tue 11 April 2018 into Hertz.

Last edited:
Nope. Did it last year. But yes you have to pay for petrol (I always return it full)

Most read last week in this forum

Hi I have a question regarding regulations in French airports on what is allowed to bring as carry on luggage. I have a small lightweight Victorinox SD multitool including a small knife that is...
Hi, we had booked a camino for last September and had to reschedule for this early June. I previously had booked a train from Santiago to Porto to start travel back for our flight home from...
I read that municipal auberges will not accept luggage transferred by courier. Is this correct, if so is there a way around this? I prefer to stay at municipal auberges and carry my backpack since...
Hello, we are a family of 5 travelling from Australia on a 7 week trip of Europe. We are walking the first few stages of CF from SJPdP to Pamplona only. I've been searching the threads for info...
I’m planning to send to Santiago a smaller bag with things I need for the flight, extra days pre/post Camino, and whatever else I decide that I won’t need. I could send it from Roncesvalles...
I am having difficulty finding out how to get to Belorado from Madrid airport. Arriving 6/1 at about 8 a.m. at airport. After customs and baggage claim, it should be about 9:30 a.m. Willing to...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back