• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Carabiners or “S” hook?

Renascer

Time of past OR future Camino
In your experience which one would be more useful in the camino? Should bring a carabiner or S hook?
I am not even sure lol what i will need this for, but i hear here in the forum that is good to have it to hang stuff.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
In your experience which one would be more useful in the camino? Should bring a carabiner or S hook?
I am not even sure lol what i will need this for, but i hear here in the forum that is good to have it to hang stuff.
Neither! I don't have one yet, cut I'm planning to get a HeroClip. It looks like it will work well for multiple functions - hanging things in the shower area, hanging your backpack on the bunk, attaching things to your backpack, etc. I think that the size that has been suggested by other members is small.

I use a S hook to hang stuff up while I shower as there are often no built-in hooks to use.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Neither! I don't have one yet, cut I'm planning to get a HeroClip. It looks like it will work well for multiple functions - hanging things in the shower area, hanging your backpack on the bunk, attaching things to your backpack, etc. I think that the size that has been suggested by other members is small.

Seems like it is heavy no?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I don't often hang my backpack but if I did then the same hook would work. Cost less than a dollar at a local hardware store and is very light.
I will go to my dollar store or hardware store to see if i find it. Is it plastic? I have a metal one here now that i removed from something but looks heavy.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!

Last time I walked my Heroclip stayed in my backpack. I don’t think I used it once. Seemed like a good idea at the time, but in practice it wasn’t so useful as I thought it would be. Or maybe I just didn’t think about using it very much. I tend to be okay with tying a piece of paracord to hang my stuff. Of course everyone’s mileage will be different with this object.
All the best,
Paul

I will go to my dollar store or hardware store to see if i find it. Is it plastic? I have a metal one here now that i removed from something but looks heavy.
It is metal of some sort but not heavy, probably aluminium alloy with a chrome covering.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
It is metal of some sort but not heavy, probably aluminum alloy with a chrome covering.
Can u hang your backpack with it if you wanted? Is it strong enough for that? Where people usually put their backpack? On the floor? Or on top of the bed?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Can u hang your backpack with it if you wanted? Is it strong enough for that?
Yes it will certainly cope with the weight of my backpack.

I usually put my backpack on the floor unless the albergue asks for it to be put in a plastic bin or bag (to slow down the bedbugs).

Depending where you stay, sometimes there is a shelf or low table for backpacks which make it easier on my back.

Diaper pins are a type of safety pin that has a more robust closing mechanism - presumably so the babies are not stabbed when they thrash about. They work well for various pilgrim predicaments.
I also bought some of these to hang light stuff from my backpack. How many should i take?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Diaper pins are a type of safety pin that has a more robust closing mechanism - presumably so the babies are not stabbed when they thrash about. They work well for various pilgrim predicaments.
This is an Americanisation, no such thing as a diaper in Kiwiland.

Last time I walked my Heroclip stayed in my backpack. I don’t think I used it once. Seemed like a good idea at the time, but in practice it wasn’t so useful as I thought it would be. Or maybe I just didn’t think about using it very much. I tend to be okay with tying a piece of paracord to hang my stuff. Of course everyone’s mileage will be different with this object.
All the best,
Paul
Maybe i can use my extra shoe laces since i am already bringing anyways.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I prefer rubberized wire ties in a variety of sizes. For shower hooks, clothes pins, hanging socks on packs, securing wallets.
like this

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Would be nice to have one that is lightweight but can hang either a backpack in the bunkbed or also can hang drysack in the shower. Seems like the lightweight hooks cant handle the weight of a backpack?

Would be nice to have one that is lightweight but can hang either a backpack in the bunkbed or also can hang drysack in the shower. Seems like the lightweight hooks cant handle the weight of a backpack?
Go to a hardware store, they have hooks that painters use to hang their paint pails. These are very strong.

Join the Camino Cleanup in May from Ponferrada to Sarria. Registration closes Mar 22.
They are fast becoming extinct since almost no one uses cloth diapers. I have good memories of diapering up my babies with those pins. I looked for them locally a few years ago for the Camino with no luck. It's nice to see Amazon carries them.

Bring a couple of cheap carabiners and clip them on the outside of your pack and use for whatever (sunglasses, cap, flip-flop sandals, etc). Also bring about 50' of paracord (you can buy anywhere these days). It can be used for many things. Emergency boot/shoe laces and clothesline just to name a couple.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Heroclip: bought one; looked at it; put it in my big box of things I thought I needed but will never use.

Suction pad with hook: likewise. In doing so found two others which I’d forgotten about.

Short section of wire coat hanger bent roughly into an ‘s’ shape? Looked at admiringly as though I’d invented something really useful and put it back in my wash bag for future use.

I would offer up the SOFT SHACKLE - try the stopper knot from version 3 (looks much fancier and professional) with the lark's head from version 4.

Not a proper soft shackle which is a thing of simplicity and beauty in its concept but which requires a knowledge of splicing and fids as well as patience, a pair of seaboots, a seaman's cap, a pipe with an ounce of shag to puff at and a bollard to sit on while you prepare it.

This is a good alternative. Sliding the lark's head along the loop will tighten it up. Have one hanging off the D ring that most backpacks have or loop it around the main strap and you can secure your pack to the arm of a cafe chair - you want to steal my pack? Take my chair with you! Or use it to fasten two packs together - imagine trying to take a pack and finding a second dragging along!

The ubiquitous 550 paracord is good but there is a thinner version, 325, which is more than adequate and makes you look less like some mad survivalist. Dyneema cord is devine but over the top for our purposes (and pricy).

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I tend to use something like this from Amazon

beifon 9Pcs 88mm + 51mm S Shape Carabiner Clip Aluminum Alloy Buckle Dual Spring Clip Double Snap Hook​

I tried to embed the link but it did not come out right.

MY wash bag has a built in S hook for the shower. However I use the Carabiner through the grab handle of my ruck sack and secure the larger end around something secure. It slows people down trying to make off with your goods! It is also useful on Albergue bunk beds for hanging a ruck sack clear of the bedding or floor. You should not allow your rucksack to come directly into contact with the bed since this is a major way to spread bed bugs from albergue to albergue.

For our first two caminos, we stayed mostly in municipal albergues. I brought large metal carabiners and in many places I was able to hang our backpacks on the carabiners that were attached to the bunkbeds - to conveniently keep the backpacks off the floors. Last camino and this upcoming one we will stay in private rooms every night. However, I am intrigued by the Heroclip and purchased one for me and for my wife. Should be handy during the camino or at home yearround. Bob

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I took a carabiner, but safety pins are the best

If I’m short on space I’ll hang my crocs from my backpack and I always have a place on my backpack to hang my hat since I don’t wear it unless I need it. I think s hooks are easier than carabiners because one side stays attached while you manipulate the other. It helps to get to know people around you so they can unclip your hat for you when you want it. 😉

I used a Hero Clip in 2018 on the Norte/Primitivo. Works great.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I'd recommend a couple of mini-carabiners that you can attach to gear loops on your backpack for attaching flip-flops or sandals; they weigh next to nothing. Also, a couple of large safety pins -- diaper pins are perfect, but getting hard to find since hardly anyone uses cloth diapers anymore. But they're great for hanging wet socks, etc. on your backpack while walking. But for use in the albergue, these are hard to beat: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Nite-Ize-12-in-Gear-Tie-in-Bright-Orange-2-Pack-GT12-31-2R3/313478925 They can be looped over a shower rod to hold your clothing, security waist pack, etc, or over the end of a bunk bed to hold your backpack up off the floor. They come in multiple sizes as well.

Before our first camino in 2015, I read several posts about safety pins, so of course I bought some. Big mistake. We hung our clothes on lines using safety pins. When the wind blew, the pins caused holes in our merino shirts, which grew larger over time (the holes). We now bring our own laundry clips that are plastic and don't do damage to our clothes. Bob

First Camino I had the “S hook” as recommended to hang my valuables/towel on the shower door…..never used it. The carabiner……yes, I used it to keep my pants up after losing 3-4 kg and my belt falling apart.

Attachments

• F54CEFF1-66A2-4AEE-91F4-E9AE33412A91.jpeg
    F54CEFF1-66A2-4AEE-91F4-E9AE33412A91.jpeg
    386.9 KB · Views: 76
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
First Camino I had the “S hook” as recommended to hang my valuables/towel on the shower door…..never used it. The carabiner……yes, I used it to keep my pants up after losing 3-4 kg and my belt falling apart.
I only wear elastic waist pants and shorts on the Camino, so no problem with weight loss issues...it also works great for taking a very quick bathroom break behind a bush.🙂

Good idea, I like multipIe usage! I used a bit of string across the lower back to achieve a similar effect but that looks cool - if somewhat John Wayne: "Reach for your carabiner . . . . Pilgrim!"

Before our first camino in 2015, I read several posts about safety pins, so of course I bought some. Big mistake. We hung our clothes on lines using safety pins. When the wind blew, the pins caused holes in our merino shirts, which grew larger over time (the holes). We now bring our own laundry clips that are plastic and don't do damage to our clothes. Bob
The secret is to pin through twice though I'd be tempted to use sewing clips next time (should there be the chance)

1625165590568.png

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
The secret is to pin through twice though I'd be tempted to use sewing clips next time (should there be the chance)

View attachment 103792
Awesome point. I will bring some of those smaller binder clips on my back pack. Occupy less space than those laundry ones. I paid a lot for those new merino stuff.

Attachments

• EA8E2E15-FFCE-4D83-A481-583E9929D671.jpeg
    EA8E2E15-FFCE-4D83-A481-583E9929D671.jpeg
    247.3 KB · Views: 29
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Not only that, but gravity slides everything down the line into a clump. Sometimes you can pin through the clothesline also, but many of them are plastic coated, and hard to pin through. Now I take small clothes pins (pegs) that I find at the craft store. They are strong enough to hang the lightweight clothing that I bring, plus it's quicker and easier to clip and unclip them than pinning safety pins. I do still bring some safety pins for quick repairs and pinning socks to my backpack.

I have some of those sewing clips - I think that I'll compare their weight against the weight of the small crafting clothes pins.

I agree with you, @BROWNCOUNTRYBOB. Note that I did not suggest using them for hanging washed clothing on an outdoor line, but they work well for socks that may not have fully dried from yesterday's wash or from crossing a stream. As for the clips/clothes pins/clothes pegs, we tried the small plastic clips on our first Camino, but thereafter took 6 or 8 of the regular wooden pins, but spray-painted them bright orange and wrote our name on them with a sharpie.

€149,-
Awesome point. I will bring some of those smaller binder clips on my back pack. Occupy less space than those laundry ones. I paid a lot for those new merino stuff.
Be aware that those binder clips may rust and stain your clothing. Been there, done that.

I'd recommend a couple of mini-carabiners that you can attach to gear loops on your backpack for attaching flip-flops or sandals; they weigh next to nothing. Also, a couple of large safety pins -- diaper pins are perfect, but getting hard to find since hardly anyone uses cloth diapers anymore. But they're great for hanging wet socks, etc. on your backpack while walking. But for use in the albergue, these are hard to beat: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Nite-Ize-12-in-Gear-Tie-in-Bright-Orange-2-Pack-GT12-31-2R3/313478925 They can be looped over a shower rod to hold your clothing, security waist pack, etc, or over the end of a bunk bed to hold your backpack up off the floor. They come in multiple sizes as well.
I’ve not used the gear ties on the Camino but have in other situations. They should work well in the situations cited. Also the large safety pins are great for attaching moist clothing to your pack to dry out.

I took carabiners and never found a use for them. Rust-proof quilting safety pins were extremely useful. And I attached a flexible gear tie to the back of my backpack and it was great, especially for securing jackets/rain poncho that were pulled off but not stowed away. Love the gear tie.

After spending so much money in specialized equipment. I went to look for the carabiner at dollar store here and impressed that i could buy anything for the camino for 33 cents! Lol I think this one is great. Very lightweight and strong. All plastic. 3 for $1. Then since i was there i look and saw a bunch of other stuff good for the camino too. Little flashlight $1. Polyester pillowcase $1 that can dry quick. Tiny notepad 3 for $1 i plan to take only one.

Attachments

• D4722949-0F58-4134-BA87-218677123364.jpeg
    D4722949-0F58-4134-BA87-218677123364.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 15
  • 662EF9F3-F09B-47B1-ACBF-2AED5156F5AB.jpeg
    662EF9F3-F09B-47B1-ACBF-2AED5156F5AB.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 15
  • 20732AC2-D248-4A5C-9365-7B40C0EB691A.jpeg
    20732AC2-D248-4A5C-9365-7B40C0EB691A.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 15
  • FD81DCEE-CE3A-48D1-877A-72F405D52F8B.jpeg
    FD81DCEE-CE3A-48D1-877A-72F405D52F8B.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 12
  • CDCA0CCE-0E51-4CF8-AB7C-6B5A375461FD.jpeg
    CDCA0CCE-0E51-4CF8-AB7C-6B5A375461FD.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 13
  • 60823389-2857-490C-945D-89E43C239F20.jpeg
    60823389-2857-490C-945D-89E43C239F20.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 15
  • ED349139-C9FC-44CE-A6D0-8D189FF535B8.jpeg
    ED349139-C9FC-44CE-A6D0-8D189FF535B8.jpeg
    4.7 MB · Views: 42
After spending so much money in specialized equipment. I went to look for the carabiner at dollar store here and impressed that i could buy anything for the camino for 33 cents! Lol I think this one is great. Very lightweight and strong. All plastic. 3 for $1. Then since i was there i look and saw a bunch of other stuff good for the camino too. Little flashlight $1. Polyester pillowcase $1 that can dry quick. Tiny notepad 3 for $1 i plan to take only one.
I love the Dollar Store and use some of their offerings stashed in my pack!

Yep, they'll work too - also useful to stop ponchos flapping about, pegging up a towel round your bunk for some privacy and, er keeping bits of paper together ;)

I have 7 ( of the large safety pins) attached to my backpack but maybe I should take less? How many you bring?
On my last Camino (Ingles)? None, couldn't find any in the UK before I left - which lead to some interesting miming in a farmacia in Miño when I seemed to mispronounce the Spanish word "imperdibles" (goodness only knows what they thought I was asking for).
I now have a set of 10 (4 smallish, 4 medium and 2 large) permanently in my travel washbag!
I would go for 1 for a pair of socks (keep them together), 2 for a shirt, 2 for a set of underwear so yes, 7 seems a good number!

On my last Camino (Ingles)? None, couldn't find any in the UK before I left - which lead to some interesting miming in a farmacia in Miño when I seemed to mispronounce the Spanish word "imperdibles" (goodness only knows what they thought I was asking for).
I now have a set of 10 (4 smallish, 4 medium and 2 large) permanently in my travel washbag!
I would go for 1 for a pair of socks (keep them together), 2 for a shirt, 2 for a set of underwear so yes, 7 seems a good number!
U made me play the scene im my head thinking about you speaking spanish. Lol thats part of fun of travelling, look at people faces trying to understand us. Cool!

Welcome to the Sainted Brotherhood/Sisterhood of Camino Addicts - the road to Santiago is (was) crowded with us!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I love the Dollar Store and use some of their offerings stashed in my pack!
I didnt buy but They also had the laundry washing bag $1. The rope people are talking about here. I got a tiny lightweight hair brush too.
I bought two laundry washing bags super cheap from Walmart. I use them instead of stuff sacks to hold the "stuff" in my pack. I love them since I use a white trash compacter bag to line my pack to protect everything from rain anyway. I can see what I am looking for and they squish down well letting all the air out.
I buy the $5 cheap lightweight twin set from Dollar Store.and only use the fitted bottom sheet and pillowcase.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I've skipped over the about 67 posts above to repost something of mine from a year ago.

Instead of S hooks consider taking shower curtain hooks. They can hold your clothes and towels and such if they have loops, are lightweight and can be used for other things like carabineers on packs.

To make them more like an S hook stretch open two, hang one on the wall and the other on the first.

images.jpg

I made a lightweight pack hanger out of a loop of tach cord and a small carabiner. The loop was tied with a fisherman's knot. I use a larks head to hang the loop around the bunk bed.

pack hanger.jpg

You may want to check out something like a Nylofume bag to use as a pack liner or to store your pack in when not in use.

¡Buena suerte! 👣 :D😎

Why not both? They are small and light and very handy. The S hook is probably more useful - you can use it to hang your backpack from the bunk frame in albergues (keeps it out of people's way and lessens bedbug hitch-hiking) and to hang your clothes when you take a shower.

I have two hooks with suction cups to use for hanging clothes while in the shower. I take two very small aluminium carabiners and four cable ties. I also take an emergency washing ling which is really just a 3 metre length of thick string and about 20 safety pins to use as clothes pegs, which can be pushed through the string if need be.

Why not both? They are small and light and very handy. The S hook is probably more useful - you can use it to hang your backpack from the bunk frame in albergues (keeps it out of people's way and lessens bedbug hitch-hiking) and to hang your clothes when you take a shower.
That's why I suggested the HeroClip. It does the job of both an S hook and a carabiner.

I took a small, lightweight, blue carabinder. Slipped it through the wrist bands of my walking poles before placing them in the receptacle provided in the albergue. No lost poles. saw many similar poles (purchased from Decathalon) along the way.

I took a small, lightweight, blue carabinder. Slipped it through the wrist bands of my walking poles before placing them in the receptacle provided in the albergue. No lost poles. saw many similar poles (purchased from Decathalon) along the way.
I put my name on my poles using a labelling machine.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Sounds like a solution in search of a problem...

I like to keep things simple and not take anything I wont need...

A selection of Camino Jewellery
You do realise you are signalling that you are blind and deaf?
My primary signal to traffic is ‘I’m here’ and with all due respect to those so impaired I don’t think they would object.

I also walk in dark sunglasses and have a Labrador with a fluorescent coat which may reinforce your view.

Last edited:

€149,-
I have some carabiners and some safety pins hanging on the outside of my pack. I have one of those rubber coated wire ties, about 10 inches, in my bathroom bag so I can hang it when I take a shower - as has been said, there are often not enough hooks in bathrooms.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I have some carabiners and some safety pins hanging on the outside of my pack. I have one of those rubber coated wire ties, about 10 inches, in my bathroom bag so I can hang it when I take a shower - as has been said, there are often not enough hooks in bathrooms.
Safety pins are good for attaching damp socks to one's backpack for drying in the sun whilst walking... Much better than tucking them into an elastic loop and hoping they stay attached!

Safety pins are good for attaching damp socks to one's backpack for drying in the sun whilst walking... Much better than tucking them into an elastic loop and hoping they stay attached!
Definitely. That's how I ended up with one and a half pairs of socks on my Camino del Norte!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I wrapped 10~20’ of red duct tape around the shaft of my poles. Duct tape…can’t leave home without. 😂
On my first Camino, I discovered that many pilgrims had similar, if not identical, equipment as mine. In prep for my next Camino, I found some pink "Hello Kitty" duct tape. I wrapped it around each of my hiking poles and around my water bottle. No one in their right mind is going to accidentally walk off with "Hello Kitty" hiking poles. It definitely gave me one less thing to worry about on my Way.

Join the Camino Cleanup in May from Ponferrada to Sarria. Registration closes Mar 22.

Most read last week in this forum

Hola. While I am familiar with air travel restrictions on knives, I want to read your answers on carrying a small folding knife (Gerber Gear US1, (2.6 inch /6.6 cm blade)) in trains and buses in...
Hello. Having done the Portugese Central from Porto a few years ago, we will be doing the Frances from Leon this April. Searching the forums for footwear suggestions, we (wife and I) decided on...
I couldn't find any posts about this topic on the forum (first time that's ever happened) so I thought I'd ask... It always seemed to me that wringing hand-washed clothes never works very well...
Hi All, I am completing the Camino Ingles in April. I have just bought hiking trainers, as I find walking boots very heavy on my little, old feet. Hpwever, I am worried about conditions, with...
Hello, I will be doing El Camino from Sarria to Santiago this May 13 for the first time. I tend to twist my ankles in uneven surfaces and to easily slip on slippery surfaces. I have some...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.