• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Carabiners or “S” hook?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Don't forget the diaper pins!
Nobody sells actual diaper pins anymore. (Even the cloth diapers don't use them, they either have hook-n-loop or snaps.) One can find large safety pins, the regular type, in the sewing section as quilters use them to baste with. I don't think they rust in a big hurry but wouldn't rely on them for months at a stretch in moist conditions.
Plastic spring type clothespins exist and the last ones I bought have two sizes of indentions: a larger one and above that a smaller...presumably they will fit both the fat clotheslines of Spain and the thin pieces of paracord that one carries to hang-your-own clothesline in the bathroom.
I got some plastic carabiners a while back, very light weight, not sure if they will go with me or not next time. They're kind of big.

Nobody sells actual diaper pins anymore. (Even the cloth diapers don't use them, they either have hook-n-loop or snaps.) One can find large safety pins, the regular type, in the sewing section as quilters use them to baste with. I don't think they rust in a big hurry but wouldn't rely on them for months at a stretch in moist conditions.
Plastic spring type clothespins exist and the last ones I bought have two sizes of indentions: a larger one and above that a smaller...presumably they will fit both the fat clotheslines of Spain and the thin pieces of paracord that one carries to hang-your-own clothesline in the bathroom.
I got some plastic carabiners a while back, very light weight, not sure if they will go with me or not next time. They're kind of big.

These are available from Amazon (forgive my language 😉) in UK.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Nobody sells actual diaper pins anymore.

Good to know, next time I'm in my local store I'll get them to take these off display? ;) 🧷🧷🧷

1625947883225.png

I made a lightweight pack hanger out of a loop of tach cord and a small carabiner. The loop was tied with a fisherman's knot. I use a larks head to hang the loop around the bunk bed.

pack hanger.jpg

You may want to check out something like a Nylofume bag to use as a pack liner or to store your pack in when not in use.

¡Buena suerte! 👣 :D😎
That’s excellent. In the UK the fisherman’s knot is known as a ‘double fisherman’s knot’ and each component is known as ‘half a double-fisherman’s’

We each bring a S hook and a carabiner….haveused them to make clothes lines in our room, hanging bags off the floor, attaching closes to dry on 18 liter backpack.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Along with carabiners, we pack a couple of short bungee cords. Very versatile for wrapping around something to hang packs off the floor, attaching items to a pack, etc...

Last edited:
I like GrimLocs, which are lightweight but quite strong enough for attaching things (45 lbs tensile strength when mounted right side up, 15 lbs when mounted upside down). Their breakaway feature makes them safer than carabiners if you accidentally get caught on something.

s-l640.jpg

They work especially well if your pack has PALS.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Neither! I don't have one yet, cut I'm planning to get a HeroClip. It looks like it will work well for multiple functions - hanging things in the shower area, hanging your backpack on the bunk, attaching things to your backpack, etc. I think that the size that has been suggested by other members is small.

Hero Clip is great. Functional, flexible, and light.

In your experience which one would be more useful in the camino? Should bring a carabiner or S hook?
I am not even sure lol what i will need this for, but i hear here in the forum that is good to have it to hang stuff.
You absolutely need neither of them.

An S hook is handy to hang stuff in the shower as hooks are not provided. I use a hook that is attached to a suction cup that I can put up wherever there is a smooth surface. It is worth its weight in gold.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Just melt the ends with a match or lighter. Light, length as required, and free of charge.
Yes - cheap, light, multipurpose and replaceable, but still not fully functional, IMHO - it wil unravel with use,,,

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Can u hang your backpack with it if you wanted? Is it strong enough for that? Where people usually put their backpack? On the floor? Or on top of the bed?
A backpack on the bed is like a "capital sin" in an albergue ( because of the dirt and more important the possible transport of bedbugs)

String. Preferably free blue string from a hay bale.
So speaks a fellow equine owner😍. It has been over ten years since our last horse died and I still have a good supply of baling twine around the house that comes in handy for all sorts of things including supporting my tomatoes.

Most read last week in this forum

Hola. While I am familiar with air travel restrictions on knives, I want to read your answers on carrying a small folding knife (Gerber Gear US1, (2.6 inch /6.6 cm blade)) in trains and buses in...
Hello. Having done the Portugese Central from Porto a few years ago, we will be doing the Frances from Leon this April. Searching the forums for footwear suggestions, we (wife and I) decided on...
I couldn't find any posts about this topic on the forum (first time that's ever happened) so I thought I'd ask... It always seemed to me that wringing hand-washed clothes never works very well...
Hi All, I am completing the Camino Ingles in April. I have just bought hiking trainers, as I find walking boots very heavy on my little, old feet. Hpwever, I am worried about conditions, with...
Hello, I will be doing El Camino from Sarria to Santiago this May 13 for the first time. I tend to twist my ankles in uneven surfaces and to easily slip on slippery surfaces. I have some...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.