• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Care packages to the pilgrims

Alise_itw

Time of past OR future Camino
2015- the first one
Hello and nice to meet you, el Camino people!
I am starting my first Camino in mid August (Norte) and will be doing this alone. As none of my friends and family has done it before, they are both excited and worried. Some of them have expressed a wish to send me care packages while I am on my Camino. I have promised them to find out if that is even possible, so, please share your experience- is it possible to receive packages while on Camino? If yes, then how?
I find a lot of information about sending your own things ahead but no info about this topic, so I will really appreciate any advice you have for me.
Thanks in advance!

Buen Camino!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Some of them have expressed a wish to send me care packages while I am on my Camino. I have promised them to find out if that is even possible, so, please share your experience- is it possible to receive packages while on Camino? If yes, then how?
It is possible by sending parcels to post offices along the way labeled "Poste Restante" (Lista de Correos in Spain, I think). The two major problems will be having the parcel arrive before you go through a town, (you will need a well planned itinerary for that), and having the post office open when you are in that town. Open days, and then open hours, are variable. Will you be ready to wait around a few hours or a couple of days to pick up a parcel that probably will contain things you can buy across the street from the closed post office?;)

I don't usually buy a full loaf of bread, delicious as it may look, or get more than one day's food supply at the market, in order to keep my pack weight down. Remember that you will have to carry whatever they send.

It sounds nice to giver and receiver to show support and caring with parcels along the way, but, honestly, it is not a good idea. :)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I don't really think there is a need for care packages.
The Camino is VERY well supported with plenty of places to buy anything you need.
It's a nice thought, but maybe shooting you some extra cash into your bank account would make better sense :)

Welcome Alise, as the others have said its really not needed and it could complicate things for you, unlike the PCT you will be able to get all you need along the way but it is a lovely thought.
Buen Camino.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Alise: How wonderful that you have so many supportive friends and family! I agree with everyone else that receiving a package would probably be more of a bother than you realize. How about letting your friends and family know that you will send e-mails, texts or post a blog and that their good wishes will be all you need from them. It is understandable that they want to support you on this solo adventure. My husband tracked me on an online map and enjoyed getting texts telling him where I was so he could track me across the country. He also felt more comfortable knowing I was safe since he got regular texts.

Laura, thanks for sharing your experience, I really appreciate!
I'm definitely planning on keeping them updated with "I'm in (place name), and I'm ok" emails and messages as well. :)
Btw, did you use any local SIM card while in Spain?

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
... and then there's the Spanish Customs service. If the packages come from outside the EU, they might hold them for ransom until you pay a big tax to have them sent to you.

Thanks, Rebekah! :)
I come from Latvia (which is in EU), so the customs will not be a problem for me, but all the other issues discussed here are making me more and more sure that I will not be receiving anything in parcel format while on Camino, hehe

I guess, for the first time, it will be enough for me with the usual challenges of the Camino. :)

Thank you very much for your time and help, people! You've been very kind.

You will be so busy buying your own fantastic cheese and salami and wonderful wines and different chocolates that you will not want something from home!!!!! If anything, you'll be thinking about what to take back to share with your family and friends.

Hi Alise -

This is a really great thread - your question and all the helpful responses have been very interesting to read. What about having the family/friends who want to send the care packages buy one of those last-minute items to go in the backpack for you now - here are some suggestions :

• A really luxurious bar of bath soap - not too large - that can be your "one luxury item"!
  • A tube of body lotion which doubles as hand cream - smallish size
  • A tube of sunscreen
  • Small bottle of travel laundry liquid - highly concentrated

You can thank the giver in spirit each time you use the item and they will be pleased that they've been able to give you something useful.

Buen Camino! Take joy in every moment and in every step -

Cheers - Jenny

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Hello and nice to meet you, el Camino people!
I am starting my first Camino in mid August (Norte) and will be doing this alone. As none of my friends and family has done it before, they are both excited and worried. Some of them have expressed a wish to send me care packages while I am on my Camino. I have promised them to find out if that is even possible, so, please share your experience- is it possible to receive packages while on Camino? If yes, then how?
I find a lot of information about sending your own things ahead but no info about this topic, so I will really appreciate any advice you have for me.
Thanks in advance!

Buen Camino!

Not worth the hassle of having to deal with Spanish customs, I met a teacher from Burgos who worked as a Spanish teacher in the US, when she moved back to Spain, she mailed a box of personal belongings, can't be that much of a pain she thought, they still made her pay €100 in extra customs fees even though she had paid all the fees up front. Even the Spanish hate their own customs service.

This is slightly off topic, but close to something someone suggested I post when I said how much I love the Spanish post office --hopefully I won't be wrong. I know there's cheap minutes and cheaper WiFi, but after serving in five wars I can also say nothing matches getting a package. So bear with this long post.

I walked for 90 days on several Caminos all in Spain, so it may not apply if you're only staying a week or two. I brought on the plane with me some little treats (candy, soap and perfume samples, favorite creams/shampoos, little tubes of my favorite toothpaste ...some were gifts and some I'd bought myself). I also brought some cards and notes friends and family had written to me, and emergency replacements for stuff I wanted with me but might not find if I lost enroute (the only type of socks I like, spare phone charger and camera batteries). I also packed "re supply" tubes of my favorite foot ointment bc marathoners can be almost superstitious about foot care.

I landed in Barcelona, asked my hotel where the post office was, and picked a city about 10 days out where I'd like to spend an extra "rest day" (if your schedule doesn't allow any rest days this may not work UNLESS it's a really big city to be sure the post office is open when you arrive). I mailed treats, notes, etc to myself c/o Lista de Correos, planned rest stop city, city code (I googled that), and also wrote 'perigrina' bc a postal worker suggested they might hold it an extra day or two for a pilgrim. At the time there was a two week limit.

When I arrived at a "rest stop" city I'd go to the post office, pick up my "care package," take out a treat, a card or note, and any emergency or re-supply items needed, pick a new city, relabel and mail. As the weather warmed up I also added some of my cold weather gear.

Only the first time did I really need that second day (Zarutz)--I learned after that to choose a large city with expanded post office hours. So with care it doesn't have to be a rest day, just not a Sunday. I'd also buy more stamps (for post cards to the US, and also to mail to Spanish friends I'd made so far), and add minutes to my SIM card to call home.

I'd have a big silly smile on my face from the moment I walked into the post office, and practically dance out with my treats and notes tucked safely away with my stamps and phone, touchstones of home, to be enjoyed later that night. Even now, years later and back in the US, a post office always make me happy. It's not a total surprise (the notes can be sealed), but since you're mailing to yourself (and the package isn't traveling many miles) you don't have to worry about missing it in transit. And NOTHING beats a care package.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Most read last week in this forum

Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...
I'm looking for the best app to use whilst walking on the Camino. Usually I just rely on my Apple watch but I'm leaving that at home, so need an app use that I can pause at rest stops etc...
Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back