• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Carlos Núñez in Santiago Cathedral

NualaOC

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
A few and hopefully lots more.
For anyone lucky enough to be in Santiago on 23 or 24 November, this event looks interesting: http://www.fundacionbarrie.org/concierto_portico-nunez

Here's the google translation:
On 23 November, the Barrié Foundation organizes a concert at the Cathedral of Santiago, on the occasion of its 50th anniversary.

The concert will be in charge of Carlos Nunez accompanied by 75 musicians and performs sound tribute to the Portico of Glory gathering for the first time all instruments of the same. Four generations of Galician and international musicians, both early music and traditional, will shape this ambitious project under the direction of which is considered as one of our most universal musicians and one of the best pipers in the world.

The Barrié Foundation will offer two sessions of the same concert. The first session is part of the program of the VI General Conference of the Spanish Association of Foundations and the First International Conference on Communication and Philanthropy that Barrié Foundation organizes in its coruñesa headquarters on 23 and 24 November.

The second session of the concert which will take place at 22.15h, will be open to thegeneral public with free admission after withdrawal of invitations.

with this concert, in which replicas will be used in wood instruments Portico of Glory, the Barrié Foundation not only wants to celebrate its half century of existence but also to value heritage recovery projects developed in Galicia and, particularly, in the Cathedral of Santiago from its origins, such as rebuilding wood instruments Portico of Glory; the reconstruction of the stone choir; cataloging and digitization of notarial protocols of the cathedral archives; the restoration of the organ of the Cathedral, or the restoration of the Portico of Glory, currently underway.

PS. If you haven't heard of Carlos Núñez, here's a little taster:

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
For anyone lucky enough to be in Santiago on 23 or 24 November, this event looks interesting: http://www.fundacionbarrie.org/concierto_portico-nunez

organizes in its coruñesa headquarters on 23 and 24 November.

The second session of the concert which will take place at 22.15h, will be open to thegeneral public with free admission after withdrawal of invitations.
ut
OMG. That's all! OMG. I'll be there Thursday.
I wonder can anyone help explain what "free admission after withdrawal of invitations" means
@ivar can you help with the original Spanish?

OMG. That's all! OMG. I'll be there Thursday.
I wonder can anyone help explain what "free admission after withdrawal of invitations" means
@ivar can you help with the original Spanish?
I'm not sure, Tim. I saw it on his facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/Carlos-Núñez-80353588806/ I couldn't quite figure out the admission arrangements.

I'm having serious Camino-envy at this point ..........

A selection of Camino Jewellery
@timr Contact @JohnnieWalker (I am sure you two will get on like a house on fire ;-) for info how to get an invite - he might know something/somebody.

"La segunda sesión del concierto, que tendrá lugar a las 22.15h, estará abierta al público general con entrada gratuita previa retirada de invitaciones."

The second session of the concert, which will take place at 22:15, is open to the public, with free entrance, after previous invitations have been satisfied.

So queue early ;-) SY

PS As you are a RC priest, contact the cathedral directly and perhaps you can get an invite - all that hard work you put in might get you there. Recommendation later of your bishop? Good luck, SY

@timr Contact @JohnnieWalker (I am sure you two will get on like a house on fire ;-) for info how to get an invite - he might know something/somebody.

"La segunda sesión del concierto, que tendrá lugar a las 22.15h, estará abierta al público general con entrada gratuita previa retirada de invitaciones."

The second session of the concert, which will take place at 22:15, is open to the public, with free entrance, after previous invitations have been satisfied.

So queue early ;-) SY

PS As you are a RC priest, contact the cathedral directly and perhaps you can get an invite - all that hard work you put in might get you there. Recommendation later of your bishop? Good luck, SY
Thanks. I actually hate playing the'RC priest card' :);).....but I did wonder about concelebrating evening Mass and then hiding in a confessional box......:p (No one in authority is reading this are they??)
I'm meeting John anyway - that's already arranged.
Can you read the original and tell me clearly the date of concert (or concerts) in SdC? I'm not entirely clear. I was planning to arrive Thursday but could easily walk longer and get there Wednesday if necessary. I'm in bed in muni at Redondela right now after a wet day.... T

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Thanks. I actually hate playing the'RC priest card' :);).....but I did wonder about concelebrating evening Mass and then hiding in a confessional box......:p (No one in authority is reading this are they??)
I'm meeting John anyway - that's already arranged.
Can you read the original and tell me clearly the date of concert (or concerts) in SdC? I'm not entirely clear. I was planning to arrive Thursday but could easily walk longer and get there Wednesday if necessary. I'm in bed in muni at Redondela right now after a wet day.... T

I think it's on both nights, but the Spanish speakers will hopefully clarify if that's the case.

Play that priest card if you need to :). This sounds like a most perfect end to a Camino.

I recommend he play a second show in Plaza Quintana, perhaps from the top of the stairs as an impromptu stage. The acoustics are fabulous there.

Carlos Nunez is one of my favorite artists. I am only sorry I will not be there.

Oh well, I have all his recordings...

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I recommend he play a second show in Plaza Quintana, perhaps from the top of the stairs as an impromptu stage. The acoustics are fabulous there.

Carlos Nunez is one of my favorite artists. I am only sorry I will not be there.

Oh well, I have all his recordings...
I thought the same. It could be transmitted on a big screen perhaps from inside? I imagine the space in the Cathedral not great once 75 musicians installed....

I LIKE the big screen projection idea in Plaza Quintana. But it is likely too late to make the arrangements. The Cathedral has the cameras and lighting. But someone would have to spring for the projection screen and speakers outside.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Did you get tickets to this Tim?

I was so lucky that my wife got two tickets the day before and I went to the first session last night. There was also a 2nd session at 22.15 that I saw long lines for.

This was amazing.

This was organised by the Barrié Foundation and those interested can get some more info here:
http://www.fundacionbarrie.org/concert_programme

In short:
Carlos Núñez leads an unprecedented project, accompanied by 75 musicians, which gathers for the first time all of the instruments featured in the Portal of Glory. These comprise four generations of Galician and overseas musicians, both from ancient and traditional music, who will materialize this unique musical recreation, led by one of our most universal artists and also one of the best bagpipe players in the world.

Wooden replicas of the instruments carved in the Portal of Glory will be used for this concert. With it, Fundación Barrié celebrates half a century of existence, simultaneously adding value to projects of heritage recovery developed in Galicia and, in particular, originating in Santiago’s Cathedral. Some of these are the wooden reconstruction of the instruments carved in the Portal of Glory; the reconstruction of the stone choir; the cataloguing and digitalization of the Notary’s protocols of the Cathedral archives; the restoration of the Cathedral organ, or the restoration of the Portal of Glory, currently under way.

They played the following songs:

IMG_7146.jpg

As it says, some of these songs are from the Codex Calixtinus (about year 1100). It was the first time that they had all the instruments that can be found on the Portico de la Gloria in one and the same concert. They made instruments just for this concert.

Some more pictures:

IMG_7140.jpg

IMG_7145.jpg
The report on the Galicia news last night:
http://www.crtvg.es/informativos/concerto-unico-na-catedral-de-santiago-de-compostela

Crossing my fingers that you made it in Tim!

Greetings from Santiago!
Ivar

Most read last week in this forum

The Galicia Rail pass is available to anyone who completes the Camino and is awarded the completion certificate. It allows for 3 days of train travel and also discounts to other places you may...
Has anybody recently volunteered at the Pilgrim office for the 15 day timeframe? Where did you stay in Santiago?
For those who are in Santiago 🙏🏻

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back