• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Carpe diem and Happy New Year

mspath

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Frances, autumn/winter; 2004, 2005-2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015
27To_Castrojeriz2_001.jpg

.............................. Sunrise west of Hontanas 11/11/2012

"Life is the fire that burns and the sun that gives light.
Life is the wind and the rain and the thunder in the sky.
"While the fates permit, live happily; life speeds on with hurried step, and with winged days the wheel of the headlong year is turned."

Seneca

Happy New Year everyone!
May patience, kindness and hope increase throughout our world.

In the truest sense
Ultreia!

Margaret Meredith

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
May everyone on this small complicated world have a peaceful, happy, and very healthy New Year.
And wishing a wonderful Camino to all forum brothers and sisters who walk in 2017!

(Margaret, I so appreciate your quotes~Thank you, for starting the thread with such a good one, and for the good wishes!)

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
To all the Forum compañeros and especially those who are taking their first tentative steps...
Buen Camino 2017 wherever and whenever you journey...

...and to those who are grieving a loss or facing a difficult challenge - I wish you peace, comfort and courage and remember that you never walk alone...

Despite everything we see and experience, perhaps because of this, it's still a beautiful world...

Do not be dismayed by the brokenness of the world.
All things break. And all things can be mended.
Not with time, as they say, but with intention.
So go. Love intentionally, extragavantly, unconditionally.
The broken world waits in darkness for the light that is you.

L R Knost

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Just before I walked the VdlP this year I stumbled across this quote. I loved it and I started my blog with it... and it inspired me to find a new quote or poem each day (which I thoroughly enjoyed).

He often used to say there was only one Road; that it was like a great river: its springs were at every doorstep and every path was its tributary. “It’s a dangerous business, Frodo, going out of your door,” he used to say. “You step into the Road, and if you don’t keep your feet, there is no telling where you might be swept off to.

I started walking to prove (to myself and the world) that I was alive and kicking and now I'm addicted. I lost a friend way too soon in 2016 and that was reminder enough that we should all step into the road and see where it leads us. I believe my walking has made me a better person... and for that I am truly grateful.

Thank you all for sharing my journey and for helping me reach my destinations... happy walking folks... wherever your road takes you.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
So Now It Ends

Not long ago...or may be it was
A single day became a year
With hopes and dreams a plenty
We raised a glass in cheer

For some the wish was happiness
And others their delight
Life long enough for love to spring
Someone close to warm the night

The planet ever spinning
Each turn brings night and day
And the Sun is in the heavens
Telling seasons when to play

Not all who began the journey
Have made it to this place
Then again it's not the distance
That determines our life's race

You are family whom I cherish
This year is past...so now it ends
Tomorrow may not be written yet
But here and now we're more than friends

God bless and protect you and yours

Arn

I join in the chorus of wishing you all a Happy New Year. Walking the CF was the highlight for the year, and I'm still being changed by that experience. I am grateful for all of you for your wisdom, stories, and support to all peregrinos.

I won't be back, probably, in 2017, but I will be back!

I'll add these words from John O'Donohue:

May the nourishment of the earth be yours,
May the clarity of light be yours,
May the fluency of the ocean be yours,
May the protection of the ancestors be yours.

And so may a slow
Wind work these words
Of love around you,
An invisible cloak
To mind your life.

"While the fates permit, live happily; life speeds on with hurried step, and with winged days the wheel of the headlong year is turned."

Seneca

Happy New Year everyone!

In the truest sense
Ultreia!

Margaret Meredith

You are so wise and giving! I love you.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Just before I walked the VdlP this year I stumbled across this quote. I loved it and I started my blog with it... and it inspired me to find a new quote or poem each day (which I thoroughly enjoyed).

He often used to say there was only one Road; that it was like a great river: its springs were at every doorstep and every path was its tributary. “It’s a dangerous business, Frodo, going out of your door,” he used to say. “You step into the Road, and if you don’t keep your feet, there is no telling where you might be swept off to.

I started walking to prove (to myself and the world) that I was alive and kicking and now I'm addicted. I lost a friend way too soon in 2016 and that was reminder enough that we should all step into the road and see where it leads us. I believe my walking has made me a better person... and for that I am truly grateful.

Thank you all for sharing my journey and for helping me reach my destinations... happy walking folks... wherever your road takes you.
Love it. Thanks so much for bringing in the quote - and here is a set of three that i had added to my email signature ... hope you won't mind me sharing those ---
very best wishes for your preparations and indeed the caminho itself - C

“Folks in those stories had lots of chances of turning back, only they didn’t. They kept going. Because they were holding on to something. That there’s some good in this world, Mr. Frodo - and it’s worth fighting for.

"The Quest stands upon the edge of a knife. Stray but a little, and it will fail, to the ruin of all. Yet hope remains while the Company is true." - Galadriel.

“Yet it is not our part to muster all the tides of the world, but to do what is in us for the succour of those years wherein we are set, uprooting the evils in the fields that we know, so that those who live after may have clean earth to till. What weather they shall have is not ours to rule.” - The Return of the King J.R.R. Tolkien - LOTR

Seneca

Happy New Year everyone!

In the truest sense
Ultreia!

Margaret Meredith

....while the fates permit! - what a beautiful turn of phrase. thank you!
and just hours before I read this Seneca quote that you so kindly posted - i've come across in my yearly file-review and was instantly reminded of it when I read the one you shared.

"Your days are numbered. Use them to throw open the windows of your soul to the sun.
If you do not, the sun will soon set, and you with it."
Marcus Aurelius, The Emperor's Handbook, II,IV

Many warm wishes to you and all the kindred spirits here on this unique forum.
lighthouse.png
Saluti
Claudia

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
There's been some moving sentiments expressed in this thread
I think there's nothing I can add just now except to wish all my fellow forum members all that they might wish for themselves.

Happy New Year - Peas on earth.png

Peas on Earth -
literally -
With this image on the projected screen our work-day mtg started this morning - a coworker created it .... (first day back in the new year.)

(hope i'll be gracefully forgiven if this is too belated or misplaced for whatever reason. but i simply could not not share it)

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...
I'm looking for the best app to use whilst walking on the Camino. Usually I just rely on my Apple watch but I'm leaving that at home, so need an app use that I can pause at rest stops etc...
Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
The logical thing for me to do is bring a Kindle, but TBH I like books, and for me leaving electronic gubbins behind while I do the Camino, appeals. I am thinking of taking one book on The...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back