• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Carrion de los Condes and the Ultimate Spanish Language Test

Robo

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Frances 15,16,18
VdlP 23, Invierno 23, Fisterra 23
In fact 2 Tests!

TEST 1.

We had stayed an extra day in Carrión de los Condes to have a bit of a break and also a chance for Pat to have a second visit to a physio. She was really struggling with her Plantar Fasciitis as well as the normal aches and pains we all get.

I took the opportunity as well to have a session to sort out my Achilles and shins.

I have to say as with all my experiences with physios in Spain, this guy was excellent.

It was one of those situations where the physio had very limited English and with my limited Spanish, (and Pat's nil Spanish) we resorted to Google Translate. Unfortunately with a fairly weak WiFi connection, so some of the translations were a bit weird! But it turned into a hilarious session between the three of us.

We underwent some physio techniques that we had never seen or felt before.

One we established was somewhat like acupuncture. But it seemed from the Physio's point of view, it was and it wasn't...........:eek:

The needle was the size of a 'jack hammer'! He reassured Pat that all would be well...........I think.
As a precaution I gave Pat one of my gloves to bite on :oops:
With all the groaning and thrashing and tears I think it was a bit more painful that Acupuncture!
To this day I have no idea what it was.

He then wanted to carry out this 'procedure' on other parts of Pat, saying it needed a few goes around the affected leg muscle. But she declined ;)

We both felt better after the session though and it was hugely entertaining if nothing else.
It was an hour of laughter trying to understand each other!

TEST 2. The Biggie!

Pat had been experiencing an irritating and quite painful 'itch' for a couple of days, and we thought we should pop into the Centro de Salud in Carrión just to be safe. We were told in the hotel that pilgrims were catered for between 6 and 7 o’clock in the evening.

We turned up at the medical center just after 6.

As we went in there were two treatment rooms in use with the doors open.
One had a male doctor, and one had a female nurse tending to the foot of a pilgrim.
As we sat down outside I could see the look on Pat’s face.
It basically said I hope the female nurse finishes first!

But of course, she didn’t.

The male doctor came out and unfortunately did not speak any English, so I had to fall back to my extensive Spanish course of all of 6 hours. And again, there was a weak internet signal so google translate was out!

I tried to explain to him that Pat had a pain kind of “down below.”
He then passed me a urine sample bottle indicating that she should pop into the bathroom.

I said “No, no, no, it’s not like that kind of problem.”
And then in terrible Spanish said, “is it possible to see the lady in the other treatment room?”
He looked puzzled...........:oops:

At this point, the nurse was free and came out to join the conversation.
And with much pointing and gesticulating we tried to point out the problem, and had to resort to a pen and paper.

Of course the 'Boss' remarked..........
I could see it coming. “How much did we spend on those Spanish lessons”?

“We should get a refund on those lessons,” exclaimed the patient!

I’m sorry my dear, but it’s not that simple to squeeze year 2 medical school anatomy into 6 one hour language classes when the aim is to make hotel bookings on the phone!

But finally ....my drawing of intimate anatomy whilst not award winning art, seemed to do the trick! :oops:

Thankfully then the nurse ushered us into the treatment room and Pat popped up onto the examination table.
Much to her horror the male doctor followed us in and then came and stood at the back of the room to observe proceedings.

All was resolved very quickly, and it seems the itch was an infected in-growing hair!
Easily sorted with antibiotics.

Not sure extra Spanish lessons would have ever covered this topic :oops:

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I've considered myself fluent in Spanish until I read your post. "In-grown hair" goes beyond anything I've encountered before :D:D:D

Glad you guys sorted all the situations and shared the laughs with us!

I enjoyed that...a lot. What I do is use the translators to develop a one way dialog, bullet points if you will.

My dialog usually starts off with me introducing myself as a pilgrim...doh!

Then I run through location specific symptoms in a logical order, by body part or area of body. Each observation is a separate bullet point.

My favorite is this, from five years ago:

“Mis pies huelen a queso, incluso después me baño con agua y jabón. ¿Podría ser esto un infecton hongos? ¿Tiene algo que podría ayudar? No tengo ampollas o heridas abiertas.”

My feet smell like cheese even after I bathe with soap and water. Could this be a fungal infecton? Do you have something that might help? I have no blisters or open wounds.”

...I caught a foot fungus in the shower at Orisson.

I usually do not try to use the online “live” translator. If you plan ahead, the method above works well, at least for me.

Hope this helps.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
In fact 2 Tests!
I
The needle was the size of a 'jack hammer'! He reassured Pat that all would be well...........I think.
As a precaution I gave Pat one of my gloves to bite on :oops:
With all the groaning and thrashing and tears I think it was a bit more painful that Acupuncture!
To this day I have no idea what it was

It is called dry-needling and used to deactivate trigger points in muscles.

The night before Peg had to visit a clinic I wrote something up on the tablet, ran it through Google translate and corrected it as needed with my ancient basic Spanish. The next day it was shown at the desk which got us a nurse right away and then shown again which quickly got us to a doctor who then read it and diagnosed Peg. The tricky part was understanding the doctor's directions.

It was one of those situations where the physio had very limited English and with my limited Spanish, (and Pat's nil Spanish) we resorted to Google Translate. Unfortunately with a fairly weak WiFi connection, so some of the translations were a bit weird! But it turned into a hilarious session between the three of us.

There is an offline version of the google translator as well.
You can have a look:
https://support.google.com/translate/answer/6142473?co=GENIE.Platform=Android&hl=en

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
When we walked in 2016, the offline Google Translate was only available for Android phones, not iPhones...

The linked webpage has a iphone tab... so it should be possible now, but I cannot test it, because I have no iphone.

Most read last week in this forum

...I am on day eight of walking the Francés at the moment. It is quite busy. A lot of talk about beds (and the need to book ahead). I don't book. Today I tried really hard not to get a bed. I...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back