• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Carrion de los Condes to Leon staging?

zbethz

Time of past OR future Camino
I'm getting confused about staging my days in between Carrion de los Condes and Leon. I really don't want to be doing any more than 24km per stage daily and it looks like there is an alternate/ less trafficky route between these two destinations. I was going to do Carrion de los Condes to Ledigo one day (20 km) and then it looks like the next day on the alternate Brierly guide would be a 26+ km walk to Calzadilla de los Hermanillos with nowhere really to stop in between. This would be option 2 in the Brierley guide. I was thinking of walking from there to Mansilla de las Mulas, and then taking a bus straight to Leon. Otherwise that seems like too much walking in one day for me to go straight from Calzadilla de los Hermanillos to Leon in one day. Can someone who has walked the CF give me some advice on how they broke up their days between Carrion and Leon? I'm getting confused about taking the alternate route to avoid busy roads and long walking days between these stages. Any info and advice is greatly appreciated. Many thanks!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Walking shorter stages we took 3 stages to Sahagun in 2016. With stops in Carrion, Caldazilla de Cueza, San Nicholas. Then went the Camino Real to Berecianos and Religiosity and Archahueja then on to Leon.

If you take the via Romana I would not walk all the way to Leon after Caldazilla de los Hermanillos. Go to Mansilla de las Mulas, then into Leon.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
We had exactly this same concern last week. We walked Lédigos to Sahagún to Calzadilla de Los Hermanillos to Reliegos to Arcahueja. Short hop to León from there.

Definitely worth it to take the alternate route IMHO.
Sahagún was a good stopover too. Lots to do there and you can get a nice halfway certificate at the Tourist Office in the muni albergue for 3 Euros.

Walking shorter stages we took 3 stages to Sahagun in 2016. With stops in Carrion, Caldazilla de Cueza, San Nicholas. Then went the Camino Real to Berecianos and Religiosity and Archahueja then on to Leon.

If you take the via Romana I would not walk all the way to Leon after Caldazilla de los Hermanillos. Go to Mansilla de las Mulas, then into Leon.
Thank you. I was thinking I'd do a short walk from Calzadilla de los Hermanillos to Mansila de las Mulas, and bus from there to Leon as the beginning of a rest day in Leon

We had exactly this same concern last week. We walked Lédigos to Sahagún to Calzadilla de Los Hermanillos to Reliegos to Arcahueja. Short hop to León from there.

Definitely worth it to take the alternate route IMHO.
Thank you. Good to know the alternate route is better. Were each of these stops overnights for you?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Can someone who has walked the CF give me some advice on how they broke up their days between Carrion and Leon?
These were ours, I don’t have the distances off hand but I’m sure they were reasonably short stages.

Carrión de los Condes
Ledigos
Sahagún
El Burgo Ranero
Mansilla de las Mulas
León

These were ours, I don’t have the distances off hand but I’m sure they were reasonably short stages.

Carrión de los Condes
Ledigos
Sahagún
El Burgo Ranero
Mansilla de las Mulas
León
Thank you. This helps a lot!

If you are looking for religious services, you can time your stages to land in Moratinos on Wednesday (7 pm) pilgrims' Mass; or Sahagun -- the Marist Fathers offer Mass each evening at 6 at the charming chapel at Albergue Santa Cruz. The parish albergue at Bercianos del Real Camino also has a pilgrim chapel.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Thank you. Good to know the alternate route is better. Were each of these stops overnights for you?
Yes. If I had it to do over, I’d continue to Mansilla de las Mulas and Leon although the place in Reliegos was comfortable.

Here are our stages and distances. Going to Sahagün was short. Peg was not feeling well and visited the clinic. We ended up staying three days and got to see part of their festivities honoring San Juan del Sahagün.

Carrion de los Condes
to
Calzadilla de la Cueza
17.3 km / 10.75 miles

Calzadilla de la Cueza
to
San Nicolas del Real Camino
via
Ledigos, Terradillos de los Templarios, Moratinos
15.5 km / 9.63 miles

to
Sahagün
7.0 km / 4.35 miles

Sahagün
to
El Burgo Ranero
via
Bercianos del Real Camino
17.9 km / 11.12 miles

El Burgo Ranero
to
Mansilla de las Mulas
via
Reliegos
19.3 km / 11.99 miles

Mansilla de las Mulas
to
León
via
Puente Villarente, Arcahueja, Valdelafuente, Puente Castro
18.1 km / 11.25 miles

Here are our stages and distances. Going to Sahagün was short. Peg was not feeling well and visited the clinic. We ended up staying three days and got to see part of their festivities honoring San Juan del Sahagün.

Carrion de los Condes
to
Calzadilla de la Cueza
17.3 km / 10.75 miles

Calzadilla de la Cueza
to
via
Ledigos, Terradillos de los Templarios, Moratinos
15.5 km / 9.63 miles

to
Sahagün
7.0 km / 4.35 miles

Sahagün
to
El Burgo Ranero
via
Bercianos del Real Camino
17.9 km / 11.12 miles

El Burgo Ranero
to
Mansilla de las Mulas
via
Reliegos
19.3 km / 11.99 miles

Mansilla de las Mulas
to
León
via
Puente Villarente, Arcahueja, Valdelafuente, Puente Castro
18.1 km / 11.25 miles
Thank you for showing me your routes!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I'm getting confused about staging my days in between Carrion de los Condes and Leon. I really don't want to be doing any more than 24km per stage daily and it looks like there is an alternate/ less trafficky route between these two destinations. I was going to do Carrion de los Condes to Ledigo one day (20 km) and then it looks like the next day on the alternate Brierly guide would be a 26+ km walk to Calzadilla de los Hermanillos with nowhere really to stop in between. This would be option 2 in the Brierley guide. I was thinking of walking fks rom there to Mansilla de las Mulas, and then taking a bus straight to Leon. Otherwise that seems like too much walking in one day for me to go straight from Calzadilla de los Hermanillos to Leon in one day. Can someone who has walked the CF give me some advice on how they broke up their days between Carrion and Leon? I'm getting confused about taking the alternate route to avoid busy roads and long walking days between these stages. Any info and advice is greatly appreciated. Many thanks!
I walked via Calzadilla de Los Hermanillos a coupl of weeks back. The municipal is undergoing refurbishment and there are only six beds available with basic facilities. My companion and I were ok with that. There was only one other Albergue open, that is where had a fabulous menu del dia evening meal. Buen camino

This was what I found comfortable a couple of weeks ago:

Carrion to Calzadilla de Cueza 18.1k
Calzadilla to Sahagun 22.5k
Sahagun to El Burgo Raniero 18.7k
El Burgo Raniero to Mansilla 19.1K
Morning bus into Leon, giving a good day there.

Santa Cruz in Sahagun was very welcoming and a great place to stay. Mansilla had no albergue beds left when I arrived (the Municipal was closed) so I ended up staying at El Puente which seemed very empty. If I was doing it again I think I'd be tempted by the Calzada Romana.

I walked the following from 6-10 October last year:
Carrion de los Condes
Ledigos (23.4km)
Bercianos (26.8km)
Mansilla de las Mulas (27km)
Leon (18.9km)

€149,-

Santa Cruz in Sahagun was very welcoming and a great place to stay. Mansilla had no albergue beds left when I arrived (the Municipal was closed) so I ended up staying at El Puente which seemed very empty. If I was doing it again I think I'd be tempted by the Calzada Romana.
Great recommendation. Thank you!

I'm getting confused about staging my days in between Carrion de los Condes and Leon. I really don't want to be doing any more than 24km per stage daily and it looks like there is an alternate/ less trafficky route between these two destinations. I was going to do Carrion de los Condes to Ledigo one day (20 km) and then it looks like the next day on the alternate Brierly guide would be a 26+ km walk to Calzadilla de los Hermanillos with nowhere really to stop in between. This would be option 2 in the Brierley guide. I was thinking of walking from there to Mansilla de las Mulas, and then taking a bus straight to Leon. Otherwise that seems like too much walking in one day for me to go straight from Calzadilla de los Hermanillos to Leon in one day. Can someone who has walked the CF give me some advice on how they broke up their days between Carrion and Leon? I'm getting confused about taking the alternate route to avoid busy roads and long walking days between these stages. Any info and advice is greatly appreciated. Many thanks!
Will be traversing this section in September Carrion de los Condes to Terredillos 26 Km. ( just a little longer than your target), Terredillos to Bercianos 23 Km, Bercianos to Mansilla de las Mulas 26 Km then to Leon 19 Km. Often a little longer section leads to a little shorter section. Buen Camino

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.

Thank you for the information.
I'm walking Carrion de Los Condes to Legidos in early Sept .
Are there any services , cafes etc on this section.

Kind regards
James

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Thank you for the information.
I'm walking Carrion de Los Condes to Legidos in early Sept .
Are there any services , cafes etc on this section.

Kind regards
James
Not for certain until you get to Caldazilla de Cueza. Sometimes there is a mobile Cafe, but not always. Take a snack and water for that stretch.

Not for certain until you get to Caldazilla de Cueza. Sometimes there is a mobile Cafe, but not always. Take a snack and water for that stretch.
The mobile cafeteria was operating in April/May; but may pack up in September depending on trade. It’s the only option on that rather long straight section.

The mobile cafeteria was operating in April/May; but may pack up in September depending on trade. It’s the only option on that rather long straight section.
And in three times walking this stretch (September, July, and May) I've never seen it.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
April 2nd 1030. (For full disclosure: seen from a speeding taxi piloted by Manuelo as we attempted the Spanish land-speed record on the parallel A-231. It was a long story.)
Did they have speeding taxis back then?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I did this in July. I powered through this stretch because I wanted to be done with it and the heat wave broke. I walked:
Carrion to Moratinos (note: the hotel you pass on the way in to town advertises AC on booking. They lie)
Moratinos to Reliegos. This was like a 40k day.
Reliegos to Leon.

I really don't remember any of these days as being tough, just long.

And in three times walking this stretch (September, July, and May) I've never seen it.
I walked past it in July. It was closed though as there were branches on the road blocking it's path. When I walked by someone had just arrived with a chainsaw.

Attachments

• PXL_20220718_043931975.jpg
    PXL_20220718_043931975.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 5
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
HI all, I will be starting my walk on March 31, taking the Valcarlos Route, and am having trouble getting in touch with the albergue in Valcarlos (tried email and what's app - no luck!). Does...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back