• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Carrion de los Condes

• Thread starter Deleted member 3000
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 3000

Carrión de los Condes, the Camino de Santiago leaning

Border is the leafy banks of the river Carrión and the Castilian plateau.
Your bridge over the Carrión, the pilgrim hospital and monastery of Zoilo are the most significant attractions of the town.

Around, Romanesque treasures: from Field to Frómista Villarmentero.

Few tourists know before arriving at Carrión de los Condes to venture into this villa means plunging into a land border position between the leafy banks of the river Carrión and the Castilian plateau. Its location is significant, but not only in geology, but also marked a strategic milestone in the Middle Ages because of the Camino de Santiago, which crosses the city from east to west, leaving behind an important legacy architecture. This brought out the scenario village councils and assemblies, which eventually turn into the major trading center, court and economical it is currently. Due to the Camino de Santiago, marked a strategic milestone in the Middle Ages The existence of this population goes back, as archaeological evidence, the time celtíbera.

During Roman times, the town was named Lacóbrica, and centuries later was the church of Santa Maria (late s. XI) which gave its name to the village . It was in this period that the town experienced its greatest fullness: Count Gómez Díaz, close to King Ferdinand I of Castile, governed, he built the bridge that now stands on the river Carrión (refurbished in s. XVI) a hospital for pilgrims and also gave life to the monastery of Zoilo. Such constructions have become the most significant attractions of the town. Alongside them, the monastery of Santa Clara, one of the convents of Poor Clares oldest in Spain (1225) , and the churches of Santiago, San Julian, San Andres and Santa Maria de Belen, spread through the town and maximum exponents ( the first two) palentino Romanesque. Santa Clara is one of the oldest monasteries of Poor Clares of Spain Walking around Carrión de los Condes tops the unmistakable flavor that has this medieval village.

A good way to not miss any of the treasures that the area hosts Romanesque seguiendo the route is marked by the Camino de Santiago itself, in reverse, Villarmentero visiting Campos, Revenga de Campos, Campos Population or even itself Frómista , about 19 ​​kilometers. The importance of the pilgrimage route passing through Carrión is palpable not only in the number of pilgrims passing through the streets of the town, especially in summer, and in the architectural legacy, thanks to she has developed throughout the region and has also left behind beneficial ways, such as tourism and handicrafts fair Camino de Santiago which is held annually in August and has even received 20,000 visitors in its last edition. latter, appointment undisputed tourist agenda Palencia offers pilgrims, residents and tourists a medieval market, crafts and gastronomy, exhibitions, falconry demonstrations, struggles gentlemen, gastronomy, launch careers spears and tape, among other activities. Considered great example of Greco-Roman influence in Roman architecture, the facade of the church of Santiago retains a magnificent frieze which represents Christ and the apostles. At its core, the Pantocrator, with the Gospels in his left hand, which was a sign of blessing in his missing right hand.

Where to eat : Restaurant Beams; BBQ The Doubloon.
Where to sleep : Hotel Royal Monastery of San Zoilo, Albe inn, hostel for pilgrims of the Royal Monastery of Santa Clara.
Festivals : San Zoilo (June), Corpus Christi, St. James (July 25), Tourism and Handicrafts Fair (August).
20minutes.es
translation by Chrome

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Don't want to argue let's call it a refinement. Carrion is a very nice friendly place however the most interesting and easily accessible site is just before Carrion de los Condes some 5-6 kilometers in the village of Villalcazar de Sirga. The Santa Maria la Blanca church there is a treasure and should be seen-even if some small waiting time is involved. Another bit of advice, more than a recommendation, Espirtu Santo is by far and away the better alberque-Santa Clara can be very very very unpleasant during busy periods too crowded too hot and no privacy do however drop by the museum in the monastery for the international Nativity scene collection-Baby Jesus and parents in black brown yellow and combo hues.
Scruffy1

Villalcazar has a special place in my heart. I think where I picked up the most litter per metre was on the way out of that village last year. Very satisfying. This year the Guardia Civil prevented us from picking litter along the stretch between there and Carrion, because convicts are sent there to clear it as part of their sentence. They seem to be doing a good job because this year was so much better than last. Buen Camino!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Oh falcon, muchisimas gracias! This way we can see the pictures, too!

I've slept twice in Carrion. Once, I stayed in the Monasterio San Zoilo, maybe it was 2006 or so. There is a 3*** hotel right on the premises. It was wonderful, we were able to wander through the church and monastery at will and without waiting for the guide to open it. I have a vague memory of some beautiful romanesque carvings. The rooms were very comfy, too. But a friend of mine staying a year or two later swears she got bedbugs there.

The other time I slept in the Clarisas albergue -- about 1/6 the price of the hotel, sheets that were just as clean and crisp, rooms for two, and a lovely atmosphere.

I have never slept in the municipal albergue, and have heard mixed reviews.

There is a very nice church in town, I remember sitting there on a Saturday afternoon while the choir practiced for Sunday mass. It was a very restorative experience, and I spoke with several of the singers afterwards who were intensely aware of what they felt was a responsibility for being on the Camino Frances and being a presence for pilgrims. But for some reason I am not a big fan of the town -- I don't know why, I just don't have a good feeling when I'm there.

If I recall correctly Carrion was on of my favorite towns, but mainly just because of the albergue. I stayed in the parrochial one, I believe, in the middle of town. It's run by a group of nuns who offer you tea when you come. They sing for you at the pilgrim's mass and you have a communal dinner and so on. Really great place. Also the town itself has a nice river side park that's fun to walk (hobble at that point in the trip :D ) through.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Camino de Santiago palentino decline recorded in 2012 at 23.7% of visits
01.08.2013 / 17:00 h EFE

The Tourist Initiative Centre (ILC) of the "Camino de Santiago Palentino", located at the Royal Monastery of San Zoilo de Carrión de los Condes (Palencia) closed 2012 with 16,548 visits from tourists and pilgrims, which has led to a decrease of 23.78% compared to 2011, when it recorded an influx of 21,709 people.

According to the Center has released today, this decline has been driven mainly by closing a Cultural this for five months due to refurbishment works and archaeological discoveries made by the Junta de Castilla y León in the "Sala Galilee" and that at the moment are almost finished.

The project has required the intervention in rooms over two hundred square meters with a budget of 210,000 euros made in collaboration with the European Regional Development Fund

As for sightseeing, 2012, of the 16,548 visits, 2374 were foreigners, highlighting the French first with 557 visitors, followed by Italians and Germans with 483 to 305 people.

As for the numbers that have been collected in the 4002 CIT include tourists from Castilla y León, Palencia, Valladolid and Burgos as provinces with greater input and the regions of Madrid (3,572 people), Basque Country (1581), Catalonia (810) and Andalusia (765) leading the visitors.

The information office of the CIT and Study Center Camino de Santiago de Carrión de los Condes will reopen its doors on February 16.

According to the CIT, the "Sala Galilee" the monastery Carriones show thereafter, as new, half dozen Romanesque capitals that have appeared in previous archaeological excavations in various parts of the monastery.

As reported today in a statement the CIT, with these works and the continuing opening of the Monastery, "is intended to recover the number of visitors it had in the years 2004 and 2010 Jacobean best data with a presence of tourists and pilgrims near 30,000 users annually. "
http://www.abc.es/agencias/noticia.asp?noticia=1327897

Most read last week in this forum

...I am on day eight of walking the Francés at the moment. It is quite busy. A lot of talk about beds (and the need to book ahead). I don't book. Today I tried really hard not to get a bed. I...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back