• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Carrion de los condes

Scorpiogirl

E Ultreia
Time of past OR future Camino
I made my first Camino this year in June 2014
Hi everyone

how do I go about volunteering at the monastery in carrion de los condes? Would love to go end of July this year. Any information will be appreciated

thanks
Laura x

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi everyone

how do I go about volunteering at the monastery in carrion de los condes? Would love to go end of July this year. Any information will be appreciated

thanks
Laura x
Laura,
You might write the sisters at the Clarisas monastery. They provide both albergue dorms and private rooms.

Here is Their web

Good luck with your plans and Buen camino.

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I took a photo of a card posted by the "singing nuns" - the Agustinas at the Albergue Parroquial Santa María and was told to use that information if I was interested in volunteering.
View attachment 97039
Laura,
You might write the sisters at the Clarisas monastery. They provide both albergue dorms and private rooms.

Here is Their web

Good luck with your plans and Buen camino.
Thanks 😌

One of the most spiritual and uplifting religious experiences of the whole Camino de Santiago Compostela was at Carrion de Los Condes! The singing sisters gave a small performance with audience participation (very emotional!), then the Pilgrims's Blessing, and finally the Pilgrim's Mass. Up to this point, after Boadilla and the march up to Carrion de Los Condes, I was physically and spiritually down and ready to quit. I was tired, thirsty, sore, and hungry. The first albergue I tried was closed, that was not too good. As i turned a corner towards another albergue I ran into a friend that I had lost in Pamplona. We both instantly perked up and checked into the albergue. After the three religious ceremonies and a restful night at the albergue, we were spiritually and physically refreshed and we vowed to carry on to Santiago. I am thankful that we did.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Hi everyone

thanks
Laura x
I have a question as there are two monasteries in Carrion, Santa Maria and Santa Clara. Which one do you mean? I have stayed in Santa Clara and it was wonderful.

I agree with Verutum. One of the greatest afternoons and evenings of my life. I listened to the sisters sing the office twice, attended mass, received the blessing, and participated in the sing-along with the "singing-nuns" It was capped with a night in e spiritu santo albergue. A single bed to sleep in. Having spent 9 years with the good Sisters of Mercy in grammar school, I never thought a nun would lead me into a bedroom which I would share with the opposite sex. In grammar school we were not even allowed to dance with girls. What a great experience

In October 2017 I stayed at Real Monasterio Santa Clara, on the basis it was the first hostel I encountered on entering the town. It had none of the features described by @verutum at #6 above.

A slightly amusing incident happened thus: I arrived by myself on foot. As I was about to leave reception for the assigned room two women cyclists entered. In my room a short while later these two women entered: they had been assigned the same room. I asked if they were comfortable with this arrangement and they replied they were. I went out to look at the town. On returning the two women had morphed into a solitary male cyclist (with one bike). Thinking this through, my guess was the receptionist understood the kilt I wear made me female, and ignored the stubble from not having shaved for more than a week.

@Scorpiogirl, as you look ahead kia kaha, kia māia, kia mana'wa'nui (be strong, confident and patient)

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi everyone

thanks
Laura x

There are three monasteries in Carrion de los Condes serving pilgrims. But I guess it is Albergue parroquial Santa Maria? The one with the singing nuns?

Their e-mail is viastellarum@gmail.com

Best
Andy

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
HI all, I will be starting my walk on March 31, taking the Valcarlos Route, and am having trouble getting in touch with the albergue in Valcarlos (tried email and what's app - no luck!). Does...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back