• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Carry on Backpack Iberian Airline ?

Dash

Has anybody had experience taking a backpack on an Iberian plane?

Shows that their carry on size is / 56cm x 45cm x 25cm or 22in x 18in x 10in.

I'll be traveling with a 50L pack / 80cm x 35cm x 40cm or 31in x 14in x 40in (weight about 7K or 15lb).

Do they enforce this rule with gusto or do they tend not bother you unless your way over their dimensions?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
If the back system is rigid and it is a full 80 cms long compared to the allowed 56, a difference of 24 cms or almost 10 inches, I would not risk it. If the back in itself is about 55-60 cms, most normal backpacks have a back system in that length range or shorter, and there is a lid which can be cinched down and strapped low then you should or could be fine. My husband's Osprey Atmos 35 in a back size Large measures close to 60 cms and the back frame curls around, making it problematic to fit it into the metal sizing 'bin' at check-in and/or gate without some serious shaping of the contents, so he is going with an Osprey Talon 33 instead, still in a Large, but the back system measures 56 cms on the dot and the whole bag can be squashed into the bin or under the seat in front of him on the plane. I have no experience with Iberia as such but 24 cms over the allowed limit seems a bit much. What is the make and model of the bag, can it be collapsed or compacted?

What is the make and model of the bag, can it be collapsed or compacted?

It's the Atmos 50L medium. I can remove the top and put inside. This would reduce the 10cm. Flying other carriers I never have had an issue. I have no experience flying with Iberian.

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
We always fly Iberia to Spain and always have taken our packs on the plane, but mine is 35 litres and Adriaan's is 40+.
My advice is to go into the Iberia web site and check out for yourself! To me, it seems that your pack is too big! Anne

The Atmos should fit within their max measurements. You don't even have to take the top lid off, just compact the bag, leave the top lid empty for now and strap it down. Your pack should be within the limits-ish then, just be prepared to tighten all straps!

Sorry, edit: It should fit as long as it's not full. Remember that the curve of the back system takes up a lot of space!

[...]Shows that their carry on size is / 56cm x 45cm x 25cm or 22in x 18in x 10in. I'll be traveling with a 50L pack / 80cm x 35cm x 40cm or 31in x 14in x 40in (weight about 7K or 15lb). Do they enforce this rule with gusto or do they tend not bother you unless your way over their dimensions?
Your weight is OK, but your sizes are not within officially accepted standards. However, it may be that at check-in your pack is accepted for carry on. Good luck. Otherwise, and if your volumes seem rather large for the weight you carry, you can compress the volume by taking out some stuff to be hand-carried (like a sleeping bag).
In my experience of many transatlantic flights with Iberia, my only worry has been to keep the backpack fit in a cabin overhead space.:rolleyes:

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I have had Iberia make me check a bag that was over their carry on weight, but within the size dimension. I have also just had them hustle me on board. They seem to be most critical at MAD. However, I've only used them with in Spain.

I'll be traveling with a 50L pack / 80cm x 35cm x 40cm or 31in x 14in x 40in (weight about 7K or 15lb).

Do they enforce this rule with gusto or do they tend not bother you unless your way over their dimensions?

Assuming you get it on the plane then what? Usually the over head lockers are barely big enough for the max size allowed. An 80cm pack will end up side ways taking up the space of multiple items.

Your pack is too long and too thick. You'll need to be very lucky on an empty flight not to get noticed.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Hi Dash, I would'nt risk trying to take that pack size onboard. Ive not been on an Iberian flight for a few years but have seen some people hit with a large bill for excess baggage just before boarding.It's just not worth the stress and uncertainty of knowing if you will be hit with a large bill. It's not as if tour bag is just over the size limit as not to be noticed. I would pre pay for hold luggage or get a smaller pack. I hope this helps! Dermot

I've caried my backpack on Iberia flights a number of times without problem. No one has ever even looked at it. I had never measured to see what the dimensions were, but if I've converted correctly into cm, mine is 61 x 33 x 15 (those are maximum dimensions, given that it's pear shaped, there are lots of points at which the measurements are less). It's over-sized on one of their dimensions but not by much. I guess all that tells you is that in my experience they are not obsessively concerned about this, but it just takes one cranky agent on a bad day to ruin your plan.

I agree with Dermot that it could be stressful, but I would do whatever I could to avoid checking my pack. If you have a 50L pack with those dimensions and that total weight, it seems to me you could pretty easily find a smaller pack that will hold everything. I walk with an old Mountainsmith Ghost, it's never anywhere near full, but its internal frame and belt systems are magical for me and my back, so I dare not try anything else. You may have a similar sentimental attachment to your bag, though, so who am I to suggest you change packs?! Buen camino, Laurie

Thanks everyone, my flight will be on United then I transfer in Madrid to San Sebastian. I know I can get my bag on the UAL flight (I'm a frequent flyer) it's the second leg that causes my concern. I've travelled a lot with this pack and have never had an issue except once on a domestic flight. I boarded late and the agent said I would have to check it because the bins were full. I did, and surprise my bag never made my flight .... argh! I'm aware that airlines can be lax in enforcement or extremely stringent on compliance to their dimension rules. Just not sure where Iberia falls in this realm. Fitting it in the overhead has never been an issue because I take the top off reducing the length 10cm and with the curvature of the pack it fits straight in nice and snug. Laurie you are probably right; in the end it might come down to an agents mood that day.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Thanks everyone, my flight will be on United then I transfer in Madrid to San Sebastian. I know I can get my bag on the UAL flight (I'm a frequent flyer) it's the second leg that causes my concern. I've travelled a lot with this pack and have never had an issue except once on a domestic flight. I boarded late and the agent said I would have to check it because the bins were full. I did, and surprise my bag never made my flight .... argh! I'm aware that airlines can be lax in enforcement or extremely stringent on compliance to their dimension rules. Just not sure where Iberia falls in this realm. Fitting it in the overhead has never been an issue because I take the top off reducing the length 10cm and with the curvature of the pack it fits straight in nice and snug. Laurie you are probably right; in the end it might come down to an agents mood that day.

Hi, Dash, Given what you say, I would probably take a chance. Coming off a long overnight international flight you'll be a pitiful sight and you can just hope they take pity on you. :) BTW, I'm assuming you know you will have to change terminals when you arrive in Madrid, and that will mean going through security again. United flies into T1, whereas Iberia and its partners fly into T4. That transfer can take a while. But since it's a domestic flight, you won't have to go to the remote part of T4, which involves a train.

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back