• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Carry on luggage strategies

Hiawatha

Time of past OR future Camino
St Jean Pied de Port - Finisterra 2017
GR70 France 2018
Via Francigena 2019
I won't call them ' Hacks ' or ' Cheats' because I don't really want to do either , there must be a wealth of good advice amongst our members on how to get the best out of your on board luggage allowance .
I have a 7 kg limit , with a 585 mm maximum length , my poles are OK but will need to be shortened slightly even after separating the segments .
Does anyone have a favorite tip for minimising size and weight ?

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Size lengthwise is the least flexible dimension. If your pack has a frame that can flex a bit, then sometimes you can safely force a bit of a downward bend with a strap wrapped over the length of the bag. Make sure that you have everything in the main body of the pack, even if you have to cram things in and take them out of organizer bags so that items will fill all of the voids and spaces. Take everything out of side pockets and the lid of the pack. Snug down all the straps tight, including the waist belt.

If you are allowed a small bag -- like a computer-sized bag -- and a larger carry on, then some of your pack load can be put into the smaller bag (computer bag) in order to further reduce your packs volume.

Tip for minimizing weight? Purge, trim, downsize, and use lighter stuff. :)

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I won't call them ' Hacks ' or ' Cheats' because I don't really want to do either , there must be a wealth of good advice amongst our members on how to get the best out of your on board luggage allowance .
I have a 7 kg limit , with a 585 mm maximum length , my poles are OK but will need to be shortened slightly even after separating the segments .
Does anyone have a favorite tip for minimising size and weight ?
Hi Charles,

First, I find the best limit for me is 5 kg. Create and collect the items on the pack list. Really push to hit under the limit the first time. Like anything, it comes with practice. The Camino philosophy is all about leaving the, "wants," at home and living day to day with only what is needed. And do not get attached even to the needs as some of these may have to go as well. Remember, if it does not get packed, it does not have to get carried. It helps for me to remember that first day's walk up the East slopes of the Pyrenees as well as O Cebreiro (just as high).

Walking poles. I repsect everyone;s experience with them. Here is mine, for what it is worth. I was lucky to find a pair for less than C$10 that had multiple tips, are collapsible and have spring support. I use rubber foot type tips with a tread on them for the Camino, (possibly a key point as most poles have a metal point, could be a go / no go decision maker for TSA). They have been accepted by every TSA I have encountered, in Canada, USA, Ireland, England, France and Spain. Walk on, walk off, I believe because they are rubber tipped, collapse and when asked if I need them I respond with a, "yes, on a hike like I am doing, believe it." Part of this is walking into the airport, to TSA and then to the Gate, using them. If they go in the pack after that, fine. I would not recommend packing them before TSA sees and approves them as they will likely need to be pulled out anyway. On the plane, I collapse them and stow them in the overhead bins. Again, never a problem.

Finally, with all the flooding that has been going on this Spring, it may be necessary to have some floatation with you. The balloon is filled with Helium to offset any overweight issues. Oh, and the lowers combination of things are an innertube, chest waders and tollerskates. I just drew what everyone is thinking.....

drawisland.png

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.