• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Carry On Pack Desirable?

Multipurpose

Time of past OR future Camino
March/April (2018) maybe 2017
Hi all. It seems to me that having a carry on pack would be desirable. I am thinking of purchasing the REI Trail 40 (see link below) because I have heard through anecdotal information that this pack is carry on compatible, but I don't know for sure. But in any case is carry on desirable? It would eliminate the risk of baggage handling damage and loss. Also this pack comes in black or red. Black would be hotter for contents, but on the other hand red attracts attention. Any advice on color? This pack should hold all the stuff I plan to carry for March/April. Small 45 degree sleeping bag, change of clothes, warm clothes, shower shoes, toiletries etc. I use hiking poles, but I realize that you can't take them carry on, so I could buy a wooden one in Spain. Thanks https://www.rei.com/product/880839/rei-trail-40-pack-mens

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
I`m sorry for the question but, what do you mean by "carry on" pack?

Aren`t all backpacks "carry on" sort of bags?

Where are you traveling from? I had no problem taking my 38l pack as carry on. I don't like to let it out of my sight in case of loss or delays. I even packed a collapsible pole in it (twice from the US) with no problem. The only time it was an issue was flying out of Santiago. They make you check the pole(s) but you can still carry on your pack.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Ok.. Now I Understood what you meant... Sorry for my ignorance :D:p

I have flew to SPain Checking in everything a couple of times but I know the feeling that, if luggage is lost it`ll be a burden...

I have also a couple of times taken 2 bags with me, my back pack and a second normal bag, but a really old one!

What I do is: Pack the most important things for your camino in the backpack and carry on with me on the plane... But just the really important pieces of clothes, socks, documents, camera, etc, etc.

Everything I can easily buy in one afternoon in any reasonable big city or that might be a problem to be carried on the plane( walking poles, Tools, knives, etc, etc) I toss in the old bag and check it.

Once in Spain before leaving the airport, I repack... Put everything in the backpack and toss the old bag in the garbage!

TO fly back, I just check everything as if its lost, I dont care how long it takes for the luggage to be found.

Hope that helps :)

Buen Camino!:):D

You can check the carry on size requirements for your airline and then measure the pack to see if it meets the requirements. As for carry on being desirable, it's really a matter personal preference. Pack color - I'd go on with red. It's more visible.

Any advice on color? I use hiking poles, but I realize that you can't take them carry on, so I could buy a wooden one in Spain. Thanks
I carried on my Kestrel 38 on United. I put my poles, Swiss Army Knife, water bottles and a few other things in an old (30 year old) canvas bag that was on its last legs. I protected my poles within the bag with an old shipping tube that I has cut to length. I was in a late boarding group and they were making people with roll-ons check them at the gate - I was able to board with my pack and put it under the seat. Remember, telescoping poles are several inches shorter if you take them apart.

Bajaracer posted this a few days ago and it looks perfect, however, I think you will find it is not in stock at your local Ikea - maybe it will be in the future:
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/ikea-bag.26178/

The color is tough, all my luggage is black, but red it better for visibility in low light situations.

I am a real believer in hiking poles, but I understand there are a range of opinions on this.

Attachments

• PackingMyPoles.jpg
    PackingMyPoles.jpg
    559.2 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
There have been a couple of threads recently about the colour preferences of bed bugs. Apparently, black and red are favourites. My backpack is red with black trim. There has been a suggestion that they like red for its similarity to blood. I would avoid red (and black) if you could.

On my trip to Spain from the west coast of the US, I take everything except my pocket knife and trekking poles as a carry-on in my 35L Osprey. Those items not carried on are packed in something like this, http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005J9BCZO/?tag=casaivar02-20 To protect my sticks I pack the little bag with the multiple Amazon inflated packing pouches I will invariably collect while preparing for my walk. I would rather trash some old bag, but I have none left, so this is about as cheap as I have found for a one-time use option.

When I arrive at the airport in Madrid I take the stuff out of the temporary pack and discard the pack in a way that I hope somebody might actually make use of it.

I walk the walk, and then, in Santiago, I choose to check everything, except my most valuable electronics, with my backpack in the luggage hold. I carry on, on my return flight, something like this, http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00IU60PCE/?tag=casaivar02-20 which is also VERY HANDY as a day to day walkaround pack for after you have you finished your daily grind. It holds your clothes, valuables, and toiletries in the shower as well as your valuables as you walk about town.

I figure I can react if my main luggage is lost on the way back, but it would suck to have that luggage gone on the day I arrive.

I`m sorry for the question but, what do you mean by "carry on" pack?

Aren`t all backpacks "carry on" sort of bags?
What I meant was s small enough backpack to store in the overheard compartment where the passengers sit.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
You can check the carry on size requirements for your airline and then measure the pack to see if it meets the requirements. As for carry on being desirable, it's really a matter personal preference. Pack color - I'd go on with red. It's more visible.

Thanks. I just bought a red REI Trail 40 backpack. I almost bought the black version but I thought it might cook snacks in the hot sun.

Where are you traveling from? I had no problem taking my 38l pack as carry on. I don't like to let it out of my sight in case of loss or delays. I even packed a collapsible pole in it (twice from the US) with no problem. The only time it was an issue was flying out of Santiago. They make you check the pole(s) but you can still carry on your pack.

I am traveling from Sacramento California. I just bought a 40L pack. I think it is carry on compatible judging from the measurements and what they told me where I bought it (Sacramento REI)

I carried on my Kestrel 38 on United. I put my poles, Swiss Army Knife, water bottles and a few other things in an old (30 year old) canvas bag that was on its last legs. I protected my poles within the bag with an old shipping tube that I has cut to length. I was in a late boarding group and they were making people with roll-ons check them at the gate - I was able to board with my pack and put it under the seat. Remember, telescoping poles are several inches shorter if you take them apart.

Bajaracer posted this a few days ago and it looks perfect, however, I think you will find it is not in stock at your local Ikea - maybe it will be in the future:
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/ikea-bag.26178/

The color is tough, all my luggage is black, but red it better for visibility in low light situations.

I am a real believer in hiking poles, but I understand there are a range of opinions on this.

Thanks. Yes I always use hiking poles for my hikes in the mountains here in Northern California. Interestingly, I ordered some Pacer Poles from England a year ago and they shipped them all the way from England to Sacramento CA in a mesh bag. they survived the trip with no damage.

I like your idea about the shipping tube, I may do that.

We have an Ikea here and I have one of those blue Ikea bags but it doesn't have a zipper. I'll check t see if a zipper version is availabe.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
There have been a couple of threads recently about the colour preferences of bed bugs. Apparently, black and red are favourites. My backpack is red with black trim. There has been a suggestion that they like red for its similarity to blood. I would avoid red (and black) if you could.

Well I bought a red pack, but I plan to spray it with permethrin before I go. Hopefully that will take care of bed bugs.

On my trip to Spain from the west coast of the US, I take everything except my pocket knife and trekking poles as a carry-on in my 35L Osprey. Those items not carried on are packed in something like this, http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005J9BCZO/?tag=casaivar02-20 To protect my sticks I pack the little bag with the multiple Amazon inflated packing pouches I will invariably collect while preparing for my walk. I would rather trash some old bag, but I have none left, so this is about as cheap as I have found for a one-time use option.

When I arrive at the airport in Madrid I take the stuff out of the temporary pack and discard the pack in a way that I hope somebody might actually make use of it.

I walk the walk, and then, in Santiago, I choose to check everything, except my most valuable electronics, with my backpack in the luggage hold. I carry on, on my return flight, something like this, http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00IU60PCE/?tag=casaivar02-20 which is also VERY HANDY as a day to day walkaround pack for after you have you finished your daily grind. It holds your clothes, valuables, and toiletries in the shower as well as your valuables as you walk about town.

I figure I can react if my main luggage is lost on the way back, but it would suck to have that luggage gone on the day I arrive.

Thanks. Good suggestions. The guy at REI, where I bought my pack, had a good idea also. Since the straps on my pack don't tuck away, he suggested to put the rain cover on backwards. Tuck the straps behind the rain cover and tie or strap the rain cover on. That way the straps won't catch on anything

Thanks. Yes I always use hiking poles for my hikes in the mountains here in Northern California. Interestingly, I ordered some Pacer Poles from England a year ago and they shipped them all the way from England to Sacramento CA in a mesh bag. they survived the trip with no damage.

I like your idea about the shipping tube, I may do that.

We have an Ikea here and I have one of those blue Ikea bags but it doesn't have a zipper. I'll check t see if a zipper version is availabe.

The zippered IKEA bag is called a FRAKTA, and it's a "storage bag for cart", not a check-out bag, so will probably be found somewhere in the depths of the store. I've been reading that several pilgrims are using the bag along the Camino to zip up their backpacks at night to hopefully prevent bedbugs from getting a free ride, rather than just ditching the bag upon arrival in Spain.

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/90149148/

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...
I've stopped procrastinating and done my first pack. Was a bit nervous about being under 7kg hand luggage, but on the first try I've come to 5.9kg (13 pounds). (Not counting one set walking...
Hi there! I was on the fence about poles bc I've never used them and as mentioned previously, brand new to hiking. But because I'm in treatment for breast cancer and as such have a decent amount...
Starting our Camino on May 6. Super excited! These forums have been awesome! Doing Coastal Portuguese from Porto with my daughter and her girlfriend. Definitely packing good lightweight rain...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.