• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Carry-on Size Backpack

Time of past OR future Camino
2010, 2015, 2017, 2019, 2024
I was fortunately enough to be able to buy a very cheap ticket through an Iberia Airlines sale. LAX - Madrid RT with direct and non-stop flights in both directions for only $310. As the ticket is so cheap, there's no allowance for check-in luggage. If I were to check in my backpack, the cost would be $120 if bought online ahead of time. Instead paying to check-in my current backpack, I plan to buy a new backpack that can qualify as a carry-on. If you have or know of a backpack that fits my needs (carry-on size that can be used on a Camino), I would love to hear from you. Buen camino. /Hieu

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Wow, that's a great deal @hieudovan congrats!

What size is your current backpack? I've got 45:55 litre pack with a wire frame running the length of the 45 litre section and that qualifies as hand luggage on all but the meanest of short haul fights. I'd suggest that if your pack is bigger than 45 litres it's probably a bit big to be suitable for the camino anyway.

I use the Stratos 34 and it fits as cabin luggage just fine.

But I would urge caution. (which you probably know)

If you are going to buy a new pack:

Take all the gear you intend to pack to the store. I take it in a garbage bag.
Stuff all your gear into your chosen pack to make sure it fits.
Try on the pack for fit and comfort.

If you think this is the pack for you, carefully measure it's dimensions (when full of your gear) and make 100% sure it will fit the maximum size allowed as cabin luggage on your chosen airline.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Normally, a 45 liter pack is too big. Osprey Talon 33 qualifies as cabin luggage, but only if it is not completly packed. Check the requirements at Iberia and think of buying some items in Spain and later donate them in Santiago.
hand-luggage iberia

As @Via2010 has already posted, https://www.iberia.com/gb/luggage/hand-luggage/ has the cabin baggage rules. The maximum size is a very generous 56 cm x 45 cm x 25 cm, which is about 63 litres if my mathematics is correct. The difficulty is that packs like the Talon and Stratos exceed one or more of the linear dimensions rather than the overall volume limit, but they wouldn't be the only ones. I have carried similar packs into the cabin, but not recently.

The best approach is to contact the airline and see what they advise.

The wireframe portion of my Lowe Alpine Airzone Pro 45:55 comes in at bang on 56cm so maybe worth considering. I've always found that as long as that fits you can squish the rest of the pack in.

Also assuming your bag isn't 100% full and you're able to position it somewhat diagonally in the test box/frame that vertical measure could be as much as 61cm if you are able to position the rigid part along the diagonal.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
As @Via2010 has already posted, https://www.iberia.com/gb/luggage/hand-luggage/ has the cabin baggage rules. The maximum size is a very generous 56 cm x 45 cm x 25 cm, which is about 63 litres if my mathematics is correct. The difficulty is that packs like the Talon and Stratos exceed one or more of the linear dimensions rather than the overall volume limit, but they wouldn't be the only ones. I have carried similar packs into the cabin, but not recently.

The best approach is to contact the airline and see what they advise.

Good point. I was surprised to see my Stratos 34 is technically over limit....... !

I was fortunately enough to be able to buy a very cheap ticket through an Iberia Airlines sale. LAX - Madrid RT with direct and non-stop flights in both directions for only $310. As the ticket is so cheap, there's no allowance for check-in luggage. If I were to check in my backpack, the cost would be $120 if bought online ahead of time. Instead paying to check-in my current backpack, I plan to buy a new backpack that can qualify as a carry-on. If you have or know of a backpack that fits my needs (carry-on size that can be used on a Camino), I would love to hear from you. Buen camino. /Hieu
I have a 40 L women’s frame bag from Kathmandu, an Australian outdoor equipment-maker. I have done 4 camino-s with it and always been able to carry it as cabin bag. Check the wait your airlines will allow - it is not just a matter of dimension.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
You can’t go by liter size since the airlines don’t; instead, follow their posted dimensions to ensure it will be okay. My basic 40L REI pack (2/3 full) has made carry-on with EasyJet, Norwegian, Wizz, American, Southwest, Ryan Air, and more.

I agree that anything over the carryon size limit is probably overkill on the Camino unless you are walking in the winter or planning to camp.

If in doubt, err on the side of something slightly smaller. In inches, official carry-on size is generally 22 inches long x 14 inches wide x 9 inches deep. However, SOME international airlines have a slightly smaller length dimension. IIRC it is about 20 inches.

The key piece of information, that you cannot know in advance, is that most all planes have different sized overhead lockers. Even two identical model airplanes (e.g. AIrbus 321) will have differing locker sizes if the planes were obtained from different leasing companies or other previous airline owners.

My advice is to err on the side of a slightly smaller bag with a top loading, chimney type, extendable top part with a pull tie closure. This will make that end of the bag more squishable.

My other related advice is to obtain your recommended 'possibles bag.' Among many of us, this is generally a 16 - 20 liter siliconized nylon over the shoulder, or daypack shaped bag with a zip closure. See www.seatosummit.com for options. Consider the:

Sling Bag - http://seatosummitusa.com/search?q=sling+bag&type=product

OR Daypack - http://seatosummitusa.com/collectio...ltra-sil-day-pack?_pos=3&_sid=035874f7b&_ss=r

When collapsed, these bags are about the size of an avocado or tennis ball. They weigh virtually nothing. Mine is attached to a rucksack side strap.

On entering a town, I deploy the bag for shopping, carrying water bottle to my accommodation, etc. Later, it is a shopping bag, laundry bag, day touring bag. MOST IMPORTANTLY, it makes an excellent carry-on bag for flying over or home.

Use this sil-nylon bag to pack some clothes or other softgear and toiletries, plus your papers document, medications, electronics, etc. as a carry-on. It will help your rucksack to fit overhead.

Hope this helps.

Join the Camino Cleanup in May from Ponferrada to Sarria. Registration closes Mar 22.
I have a Deuter 30L that expands to 40L. When not expanded, it is carryon size...then I pack food on the expandable part when trekking. Best wishes!

Good advice here. I’ve a Black Diamond 30L bag, so old and worn that I can barely decipher the logo. It’s always been allowed as carry-on, even though it’s nominally 2” bigger than “allowed” on one dimension. Most check-in staff just look at and weigh it and pass it through, but one or two have asked that it be placed in the tubular thingees that conform to the allowed dimensions. It’s been ok as I’ve been able to bend, fold and mutilate it enough to pass. The key is to not fill it to capacity.

I have a 40 L women’s frame bag from Kathmandu, an Australian outdoor equipment-maker.
Like many good things antipodean that we Australians don't mind being attributed with as indications of our general all-round superiority in the region, Kathmandu was founded, and still has its corporate headquarters, in New Zealand.

Like many good things antipodean that we Australians don't mind being attributed with as indications of our general all-round superiority in the region, Kathmandu was founded, and still has its corporate headquarters, in New Zealand.

Their gear isn't that great either. High prices that always seem 'discounted' down to close to normal prices elsewhere.

We went nuts in there prior to 1st Camino spending about $4k.......
The only thing I still use is the gortex jacket.

Everything else got replaced with much better quality brands over the years.

I have a 45 liter pack from REÍ. I always fly Iberia and I have never had a problem or was questioned about my pack on the plane. I never check my pack. Don’t worry. To be safe I never have my pack on when I check in. I carry it like luggage and lean it against the counter.

Take a look @ Osprey/40L Fairview pack. It meets carryon requirements, and also has a back panel w/ zipper to enclose/hide the backpack straps and waist belt. It has a shoulder strap to use/carry the bag like a briefcase. It is sufficient for the Camino. I loved mine when I did Camino Frances last year. When going thru customs, the custom agent really liked the bag also. REI sells them/ $160 (you may be able to find a tad less expensive on line). Buen Camino.

I've flown around Europe and in Brazil during my tri-camino back to back adventure last year and Osprey talon 22 never leaves my sight. I'm off again at weekend with Crynair and requirements are 40x20x25 so with pack fully laden just about meet requirements therefore expect will meet every other airlines plus Im permitted to travel on buses without having to stow in undercarriage as size considered as a day pack 🤠

Attachments

• 20190916_192901.jpg
    20190916_192901.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 41
  • Screenshot_20190924-170833.png
    Screenshot_20190924-170833.png
    346.5 KB · Views: 37
Your are already getting a great deal. Pay the luggage fee (2 X 120 = 240?) and enjoy your trip.

Your are already getting a great deal. Pay the luggage fee (2 X 120 = 240?) and enjoy your trip.
Why? I've always carried on my backpack. A backpack that's a suitable size for the Camino should fit the carry on size. I usually check another bag with my poles and pre and post Camino things, but my backpack and my carefully chosen gear stay with me.

Your are already getting a great deal. Pay the luggage fee (2 X 120 = 240?) and enjoy your tri
I don't think its a question of paying rather the camino lesson to carry on what you need and not want you want. That amount spent on excess could pay for 20 pilgrim meals that would provide more enjoyable way of carrying excess 🤠

I'd like to thank all of you for your prompt and helpful advice. I did do research on carry-on backpacks and found similar information. It's not the volume (liters), but the "external" dimensions that count. Last but not least, it's not the "eye test" of the airlines staff that I worry about, it's the actual "Does your luggage fit inside an empty carry-on measuring bin" that counts.

I appreciate hearing about the several backpacks that have already been used as carry-on luggage. I also appreciate the many recommendations about how to pack the backpack. So here is my plan. I will go to an REI outlet with all of my Camino stuff (clothes, toiletries, etc...), check out the recommended backpacks, including the staff's own recommendations. I will then pick out a couple of favorites and see how all of my Camino stuff fit in them. After having made my choice, I will then put the fully loaded backpack into the REI's carry-on measuring bin. If it fits then I have found my carry-on backpack. Once again, thanks to all of you for being so helpful. It's a great forum. I have still have much to learn after 10 years and 4 caminos. Buen camino!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Normally, a 45 liter pack is too big. Osprey Talon 33 qualifies as cabin luggage, but only if it is not completly packed.

I've never had a problem taking my Osprey 48L pack on a plethora of flights with various carriers. I do detach the "brain", which stays with me during flights. Plan to do the same tomorrow when departing for Spain.

I don't think its a question of paying rather the camino lesson to carry on what you need and not want you want. That amount spent on excess could pay for 20 pilgrim meals that would provide more enjoyable way of carrying excess 🤠
Sorry, I must of misunderstood. I thought the initial question was, should a new backpack be purchased. A new good quality backpack is only slightly less than the baggage fee. And perhaps at the gate the backpack would be allowed as carry on with no fee. The pathetic, good natured look goes a long way with some airline folks. It worked for me.

I was in the same position as you! Cheap fare, cheap airline, no option for checked baggage. I had this whole thing about packing as super light as possible for the Camino, and I used a frameless 25L pack that was totally fine for carry-on. The pack I brought is no longer available (though a close approximate is). It was called the 'Patagonia Ascensionist 25L Pack'. I've linked my paragraph on this pack and some alternate options I'd consider as well below. Perhaps the rest of the pack list will be useful to you as well since you are in the same position as me!

edit: typo

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Their gear isn't that great either. High prices that always seem 'discounted' down to close to normal prices elsewhere.

Everything else got replaced with much better quality brands over the years.
@Robo, my experience with their gear quality is different to yours, and I still have items that I purchased 10 to 15 years ago that are providing good and reliable service. These are not items I would necessarily consider today for the camino, but are my go-to items where I need to carry heavier loads and on more demanding multi-day walks.

That said, I have never bought any of their more expensive items at 'full price'. The Kathmandu pricing/sales strategy is a joy to behold, and one quickly learns that very little needs to be bought at its marked price if one can be patient! I suspect that they make a lot from people who find themselves in a rush to get their kit and equipment together as their departure date looms.

Why? I've always carried on my backpack. A backpack that's a suitable size for the Camino should fit the carry on size. I usually check another bag with my poles and pre and post Camino things, but my backpack and my carefully chosen gear stay with me.
Absolutely! Carry on size is plenty for a Camino... I recently completed the Primitivo using an Osprey Farpoint 40. Meets international carry on requirements and was sufficient in every way.

Sorry, I must of misunderstood. I thought the initial question was, should a new backpack be purchased.

Indeed you are correct as per post #20 my response to OP recommending the Osprey talon 22....

Your are already getting a great deal. Pay the luggage fee (2 X 120 = 240?) and enjoy your trip

Your response had little too do with recommendations of packs rather more about paying extra so my response was a response to yours and dare I say..'Sorry, I must of misunderstood. I thought the initial question was, should a new backpack be purchased.' 🤠

Last edited:
A new good quality backpack is only slightly less than the baggage fee.

The Osprey Talon 22 can be bought for £65 or $80 so one third of the excess fee based on $240 quoted 🤠

Last edited:
Dear friends. There's a twist to this cliff hanger and it's a good one. I had gone on-line and found that the "universal" measurements for carry-on luggage are 22x14x9 inches (56x35x22 cm). My old backpack, Osprey Exos 46L measures 22x15x9 inches (56x38x22 cm). One inch too wide. That's why I was looking for a new backpack in the rare case the airlines gives me trouble about being 1 inch over in width. It would be too late then...

One of your response posts (I'm sorry I forgot the name of the poster) mentioned that Iberian Airlines has a different set of measurements. I quickly went to their website and found that their carry-on measurements are very generous: 22x17x10 inches (56x45x25 cm)! My old Osprey Exos 46 L would easily meet the requirements. Just to be sure, I will take a screen shot of their measurements and also bring a cheap tailor measuring tape with me in case I have to show them the measurements of my Osprey backpack. All's well that ends well...at least until the check-in counter on departure day. Buen camino! /HieuIberia Carry-on Measurements.png

One inch too wide.
I would have risked it for a biscuit and only 2.5 cm which if tested could easily be manipulated into baggage measurement frame but sounds like your old Osprey wants make a return 🤠

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I always take the Deuter Groeden 30 L SL.
It fits the bill for carry on and is exceptionally roomy and very well designed with lots of outer pockets, so easy to organize your gear.

I would have risked it for a biscuit and only 2.5 cm which if tested could easily be manipulated into baggage measurement frame but sounds like your old Osprey wants make a return 🤠
Ditto. I have never carried anything in my backpack that cannot be scrunched down tight. Before I board I cinch up all the straps real tight, tie them off. Amazing how much smaller the pack gets.

If I may borrow this thread I've got a problem too. My pack should just make it but Peg and a friend are each bringing a small rolling suitcase and each is a bit high (they are touring and I'm walking). If checked in with advance notice this would add $55 each each way to the fare but more ($??) if done at the airport. I say to put one bag in a bigger one and fill that and take any extra in a carryon sack. I'm meeting resistance. Any thoughts? Are they likely to give us a break on the handles and wheels? Thanks.

If checked in with advance notice this would add $55 each each way to the fare but more ($??) if done at the airport. I say to put one bag in a bigger one and fill that and take any extra in a carryon sack. I'm meeting resistance. Any thoughts? Are they likely to give us a break on the handles and wheels? Thanks.
This is what my wife and I do regularly. Typically, I will travel with, and check, a big pack and carry a small one. My wife will then travel with a set of nested suitcases that she checks in. When we meet up, I collapse my pack flat(tish) and use one of the suitcases for the remainder of our travels, particularly while we are travelling on budget airlines with somewhat lower baggage allowances than we have on our preferred international carrier.

You haven't g
This is what my wife and I do regularly. Typically, I will travel with, and check, a big pack and carry a small one. My wife will then travel with a set of nested suitcases that she checks in. When we meet up, I collapse my pack flat(tish) and use one of the suitcases for the remainder of our travels, particularly while we are travelling on budget airlines with somewhat lower baggage allowances than we have on our preferred international carrier.

Just think Russian nesting dolls!

I'm meeting resistance. Any thoughts? Are they likely to give us a break on the handles and wheels?

Be like water, a river flows to a point of least resistance. When it comes up against obstacles in its path rather than confront the problem it rounds the edges of the jagged rocks and flows around, over and under it, leaving a lasting impression. Now apply this simple natural observation to every element of your life and all will be well in your world. No one will stop you, if they do, connect with them and give out love (eye contact, genuine smile, compliment relating to their professionalism) and help them understand how they can provide a solution. If they persist acknowledge their request (could be a jobs-worth) attempt to test bag with handle side down and castor wheels at top and give a gentle push. If all else fails accept you did what you could, smile at the situation and use it as a little story in the pub and thank the jobs-worth. The next time he/she could be more charitable towards next passenger and be mindful you played your part and the next lucky break is coming your way 🤠

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
OOOOps :)

If I may borrow this thread I've got a problem too. My pack should just make it but Peg and a friend are each bringing a small rolling suitcase and each is a bit high (they are touring and I'm walking). If checked in with advance notice this would add $55 each each way to the fare but more ($??) if done at the airport. I say to put one bag in a bigger one and fill that and take any extra in a carryon sack. I'm meeting resistance. Any thoughts? Are they likely to give us a break on the handles and wheels? Thanks.

I usually approach issues like this with a big picture view... How much money have you invested in your Camino? This includes: new gear you may have invested in, r/t airfare, hotels, ground transportation, spending money to be taken from ATMs, etc.

I am willing to be that for each person going on Camino, the number approaches $3000 USD. Given this perspective, WHY on earth would spending the extra - say $75 - 100 USD - to check a bag be so onerous? Sometimes, we focus on small details which are not, in fact, worthy of our concern.

Yes, I know that pennies, when saved become dollars, etc. yadda, yadda, yadda... I too, have read "Poor Richard's Almanack..." But, there are things worth the anxiety, and things that are not. This is one which IMHO is NOT worthy of much consideration...

IMHO, just pay for the checked bag. Do so in advance as it is always cheaper. Last May, I toted a second piece of luggage to Santiago after I booked my fare. I was on Iberia from Miami. My fare included one checked bag. I also had a regulation sized carry-on bag.

I knew several weeks before I left that I would need a large second bag. I failed to purchase the second bag online before going to the airport. Instead of having to pay $75 USD online, I had to pay $200 USD at the check-in counter, when it is too late to do anything.

In case you are curious, in May 2019 I was headed over to volunteer at the Pilgrim Office. I usually bring a second bag full of donativo stuff for the Pilgrim House, things from the US that my friends have asked me to bring for them, plus gifts for friends, etc. Sybil loves Tennessee bourbon... LOL I never travel light when flying to Santiago direct (via Madrid). My personal stuff can usually be handled easily in one checked bag plus a small carry-on.

Hope this helps.

My old backpack, Osprey Exos 46L measures 22x15x9 inches (56x38x22 cm). One inch too wide.

If you empty your side pockets, or strap the bag, is it still to wide?

My own pack is theoretically too long, if the little top compartment is filled - no problem, as I just move those few items to the main room, or carry them on my person, when in transit.

Join the Camino Cleanup in May from Ponferrada to Sarria. Registration closes Mar 22.
I've never had a problem taking my Osprey 48L pack on a plethora of flights with various carriers. I do detach the "brain", which stays with me during flights. Plan to do the same tomorrow when departing for Spain.
That's a great idea...detaching the "brain". Thanks...going to try that!

That's a great idea...detaching the "brain". Thanks...going to try that!

My & my wife’s 48L packs safely tucked in overhead bin and ready for takeoff to Madrid (btw, she packed her brain inside her pack with no issues):
5B2D2188-18CC-426C-949B-E7AF9ADC502D.jpeg

Last edited:
1. Pack size (volume) isn't a perfect or even good guide for what will fit in the overhead. It's what and how you stuff it. The brand is also going to make a difference. This year I carried on a 55L REI Flash. It fit perfectly fine in the overhead, including trekking poles. I also have an Arcteryx 55L that would probably only fit if I carried it empty. You need the dimensions, which will vary by airline and plane.

2. You didn't say when you were going and if you were going to have time to try out your new pack. Personally, I don't find it that easy to switch packs. Once I find one that fits perfectly, can be adjusted as I lose weight, has only the things I want and is not over-designed, etc, I'm sticking with it. I'd rather pay the extra $ than take chances on a new pack.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Less is more, i always walk on the camino with a 22 liter backpak (deuter AC lite 22), all i need fits in, see my list

Attachments

• rugzak.jpg
    rugzak.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 44
  • met kleine rugzak 22 l.JPG
    met kleine rugzak 22 l.JPG
    84.5 KB · Views: 53
I took my Osprey EXOS 38 on every airline (including Iberia) on my Camino without any difficulties.

All good advice, I have read most of the thread but not all. I just wanted to reiterate that the weight is also to be considered. I haven't checked Iberian, but a lot of budget airlines have a weight restriction of 7 kg. For example Air Asia allows two bags, one main bag with the usual dimensions and another smaller personal bag, laptop bag etc. Both are subject to the weight restrictions so both bags have to weigh no more than 7 kg. Having said that I have travelled on budget airlines a lot (I am from Australia), and very rarely is my bag weighed, it depends on the nature of the staff at the check in. Motto is always better to be safe than sorry as the cost to pay for checked baggage at the airport is always high.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I keep my pack under 7kgs and have it ready to go onboard (eg no liquids over 100mls etc) but am prepared for it to go in the hold if necessary. A few years ago I took a pack that exceeded the measurements but was under 7kg. At the suggestion of the counter staff (after weighing it) I carried it onboard, and have done so ever since. But that is on a full service airline, I doubt the budget carriers would be so accommodating.

Hey everyone!
I’m a bit late to this thread but I’ve just got back from the Camino Inglés – I had to consider exactly the same “Carry On Conundrum” – for 5 flights .
That’s Ryan Air 1 , Iberia 3 , Austrian 1 - ( £315 - Yeah Kiwi.Com ! ) One of these connections was a narrow 40 minute transfer time – so absolutely no time for the baggage carousel tango. X
These Airlines have the same measurement for hand baggage 55 cm x 40 cm x 20 cm. All have a limit of 10 kg except for Austrian with a very tight 8 kg.
My Lightest frame pack is an Osprey Talon 44 L at 900 grams
On its own with all its lumps , bumps , straps and harnesses it gets challenged as hand luggage and frequently catches on the hand luggage measurement cages. Plus from an airport operative point of you – it looks large.
So I put my loaded pack into an ultra-light hold-all from “Roamlight” – Cabin baggage specialists –“guaranteed to fit “- they claim. It did -actually LOOKS smaller.
Worked a treat - no questions- even with the super strict Austrian Air.
Pics / details on CaminoRamblings.com

So I put my loaded pack into an ultra-light hold-all from “Roamlight” – Cabin baggage specialists –“guaranteed to fit “- they claim. It did -actually LOOKS smaller.
Hi Ian, thanks for the info. Please give the name of the ultra-light hold-all bag. I went to your website and Roamlight site but could not find it. I live in the U.S., so I cannot buy from the U.K.. I need the name of the bag to find it in the U.S. BTW, I assume that while walking, you have the ultra-light folded up and carried in the backpack for the trip home. Buen camino. /Hieu

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi Hieu ,
This is it on Amazon.co.uk - hope you find it (or similar) in the U.S. ( pics attached ) .
Best Regards
Ian

Attachments

• F657EC0F-75B9-42D8-AEB3-AD80CA086436.png
    F657EC0F-75B9-42D8-AEB3-AD80CA086436.png
    605.5 KB · Views: 36
  • A4AE8FEE-E7F8-40E2-8BA6-9179A02D844D.png
    A4AE8FEE-E7F8-40E2-8BA6-9179A02D844D.png
    540.8 KB · Views: 29
I am willing to be that for each person going on Camino, the number approaches $3000 USD. Given this perspective, WHY on earth would spending the extra - say $75 - 100 USD - to check a bag be so onerous? Sometimes, we focus on small details which are not, in fact, worthy of our concern.

QUOTE]

Er, no.
Some of us start at home on the same continent, and just get on a train to get back home. 75€ would be my entire cost to get back home. Not all pilgrims are from the USA or Australia. And not everyone spends a lot of money on their Camino. 3000$ would give me 100 days walking or cycling.

Hi Hieu ,
This is it on Amazon.co.uk - hope you find it (or similar) in the U.S. ( pics attached ) .
Best Regards
Ian
Thank you Ian. I've found something similar on Amazon Smile in the U.S. for my Iberia Airlines carry-on size. The price is right too, $US11.99. Foldable and weighs less than 1 pound. Of course, I'll use it on the flight back too. Buen camino.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
This is to have a "conclusion" to my initial query. Again, thanks to all who had responded. The final solution worked. I put my old Osprey 46 L backpack inside a "foldable carry-on bag" and did not have any problem with the issue of carry-on at LAX or Madrid. BTW, despite having to carry the foldable carry-on bag on my Camino, my backpack only weighed 11 lbs. I now am home safe and sound.

I had noticed else where on the forum a heated discussion of hiking poles as carry-on (they're allowed as check-in). So here's a bonus report on that hot topic. Since a check-in bag costs $60 each way, I decided to chance it and disassembled my cheap $22 poles and put them inside the foldable carry-on bag along with my backpack.

No problems at LAX. However, on the trip home from Madrid, Spanish TSA scanned my carry-on back and saw the poles. They asked me to open the bag and IMMEDIATELY confiscated my poles. There were no explanations nor discussions for their action. I was bummed out in the sense that they knew I was a peregrino, seeing my backpack which even had the forum patch sewn onto it... and I was in Spain the mother country of Caminos! However, I did know the risk when I took the cheap $22 poles inside my carry-on bag. I don't feel that bad as I was able to use them on the Camino. If they were confiscated at LAX, I would have to buy another pair in Portugal (I walked the Caminho Portugues).

So, that's the latest data/statistic on hiking poles as carry-ons. I don't know what I'll do for my next Camino yet. Probably buy a cheap pair of hiking poles in whatever country I'll walk in because my next cheap tickets will again have no allowance for a check-in bag. Buen Camino.

Probably a silly question, but what do you mean when you refer to the "brain" of the backpack.
I used the term recently myself so I will step in to answer. It is the lid to the main compartment to the pack if the lid itself contains a small compartment big enough to hold, say, lunch and a rain jacket or such.
yAEYzm.jpg

I used the term recently myself so I will step in to answer. It is the lid to the main compartment to the pack if the lid itself contains a small compartment big enough to hold, say, lunch and a rain jacket or such.
View attachment 70068
And on some backpacks the" brain "is removable.

Most read last week in this forum

Hola. While I am familiar with air travel restrictions on knives, I want to read your answers on carrying a small folding knife (Gerber Gear US1, (2.6 inch /6.6 cm blade)) in trains and buses in...
I couldn't find any posts about this topic on the forum (first time that's ever happened) so I thought I'd ask... It always seemed to me that wringing hand-washed clothes never works very well...
Hello. Having done the Portugese Central from Porto a few years ago, we will be doing the Frances from Leon this April. Searching the forums for footwear suggestions, we (wife and I) decided on...
Hi All, I am completing the Camino Ingles in April. I have just bought hiking trainers, as I find walking boots very heavy on my little, old feet. Hpwever, I am worried about conditions, with...
Hello, I will be doing El Camino from Sarria to Santiago this May 13 for the first time. I tend to twist my ankles in uneven surfaces and to easily slip on slippery surfaces. I have some...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.