• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Carry-on Size

minaleigh

Time of past OR future Camino
June 2016
I couldn't decide to put this question in Equipment or Traveling to/from the camino. I figured here is a good place as any! Sorry if this has been discussed before. I tried searching carry-on and got over 200 results.

After looking up the guidelines for carry-on sizes for the different airlines I will be using, I'm getting a little nervous about the size of my bag. It's an Osprey Talon 33L, and the specs say it's 24 x 9 x 10 inches, which is just around the size limit for a carry-on. I'm worried that it'll have to be checked. I would go to an airport to test the bag out, but the nearest one is two hours away. I'm also bringing a nylon bag with a drawstring as a daypack for the camino, so it could be used to take some items out to make the bag look not so "bulky." It's beneath the weight limit at 13 pounds, but it just appears to be bigger. Maybe I could wrap my bag cover around the pack, using the draw strings to make it look smaller?

I guess my question is, has anyone had trouble getting their bag as a carry-on? If you either had the bag I have, or one with similar dimensions, please let me know! I would rather not check the bag as I fear the airlines would lose it, especially since I have to do this process three times just to get to the camino.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Go smaller, I know I could get by with a 22-24L pack that will easily meet carryon requirements. The max carryon limit for EU carriers is a little less than the US limit, and certain aircraft will make you gate check your pack.

I've already bought this pack from a local store several months ago. I can't afford to just buy another $100 pack. I appreciate the suggestion, but "just go smaller" isn't feasible for me.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
If you pack less, you'll have no issues and be well within the carryon limits, my 46L was never more than half full for a Jun/Jul Camino, if you can keep it 2/3rds full you can squeeze it most anywhere.

Yeah, I'm currently going through my packing list to see what I can get rid of. My 33L isn't full. There's probably about 20% room left in it. It's just that I'm worried it'll look "bulky" to a TSA agent. I think it helped when I tightened the compression straps, as they got rid of excess air in the pack. I've never had something so big as a carry-on. The most I've taken as a carry-on is a backpack typically used for school, and that was for a five day trip. I've seen people bring on pretty big looking bags before. Oh what I wouldn't give for the thing that people use to measure their carry-on bag at an airport.

I appreciate the reply! I have about 5 weeks left until I leave, so I'll continue tweaking my items.

If anyone else had a bag close to mine, please let me know! I would love to have my worries dismissed. If I have to check my bag, it won't be the end of the world. I just really hope it doesn't come to that. ;)

If you are 80% full, you'll be fine. Don't sweat it.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Yeah, I'm currently going through my packing list to see what I can get rid of. My 33L isn't full. There's probably about 20% room left in it. It's just that I'm worried it'll look "bulky" to a TSA agent. I think it helped when I tightened the compression straps, as they got rid of excess air in the pack. I've never had something so big as a carry-on. The most I've taken as a carry-on is a backpack typically used for school, and that was for a five day trip. I've seen people bring on pretty big looking bags before. Oh what I wouldn't give for the thing that people use to measure their carry-on bag at an airport.

I appreciate the reply! I have about 5 weeks left until I leave, so I'll continue tweaking my items.

If anyone else had a bag close to mine, please let me know! I would love to have my worries dismissed. If I have to check my bag, it won't be the end of the world. I just really hope it doesn't come to that. ;)

Hi, Minaleigh, I am in love with an ancient Mountainsmith Ghost pack, whose capacity is a whopping 45-50 L, I believe. But I never have it anywhere near full and it is lighter than many much smaller packs, so I have carried it for the last 14 years. I have never had a problem getting it onboard. Though it may exceed one of the dimensions listed on my airline's webpage, it doesn't occupy more than "my fair share" of space, so I guess people just let it slide. And btw, it's the airline you have to worry about, not a TSA agent. TSA doesn't care how big your bag is, they just care what's inside. I would check out your particular airline on some of the travel talk forums and see if there are frequent complaints about over zealous gate agents, because I think this is an airlines' "culture" sort of thing.

Thank you! I know it's kind of a ridiculous worry. It was just something that popped into my head as I was packing and repacking my bag.
It isn't ridiculous at all. You ain't alone worrying about it. I don't go for another three months and I'm exactly the same. To the point I very nearly paid to have my bag in hold.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
After looking up the guidelines for carry-on sizes for the different airlines I will be using, I'm getting a little nervous about the size of my bag. It's an Osprey Talon 33L, and the specs say it's 24 x 9 x 10 inches, which is just around the size limit for a carry-on.
You will be fine as long as you don't over-fill the pack, especially the top pouch. I have carried my Osprey Talon 33 on many airlines without trouble. That pack comes in 2 sizes/lengths, and I have the S/M. However I returned (yesterday) with a companion who carried the M/L. The specs listed on the Osprey site seem to assume that the top pouch is reasonably full. I think that if you measure the stiff back panel, you will find it is well under the limit. Stand your packed pack up against a wall and measure the height on the wall. Anything in the top pouch should be squishable if you are close to the limit. The purpose of the size limit is to ensure the bags fit the overhead compartments, so squishability will be on your side.

That is a fabulous pack and exactly the right size for a typical pilgrim.

Checked in with Osprey 36lt no problem. Usual guideline sum of length, width and depth not to exceed 115cm

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi Minaleigh,
I has an M/L Osprey 38 and never an issue as cabin luggage on 6 different airlines including discount carriers in the EU. Even had my walking poles inside last year. Important to really compress and wear your jacket on the plane to further reduce bulk but it was fine and fit easily in overhead holds.
Buen Camino.

My 36L Osprey has always made it into carry on. I noticed you plan to carry a drawstring bag as a daypack. If you're planning on having the large pack transported and carrying a drawstring bag all day, you might want to rethink. Carrying something all day in your hand gets burdensome, even if you switch from hand to hand. If the drawstring bag is just for casual use and backup, then no problem.

The daypack combo was exactly what we had planned with our 36 liter Ospreys. We'll put the things we might need for the flight in the daypack, which will also make our packs look smaller. After asking our local APOC group they all said they'd never had a problem with carrying on their packs. Really - they're smaller than our roll-on carryons. We're leaving tomorrow - so we'll let you know if we have any problems!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I had no problem with my 36l Osprey Kyte on both Aer Lingus and Vueling (both small and large Aer Lingus flights). The only airline I'd be minimally concerned on is Ryan Air --- they get pretty specific with their carry sizes. However, out of Santiago last minute we found Vueling to be more cost effective than Ryan Air.

I also took a 36L Osprey Kyte as a carry on with no trouble at all. Many passengers had much larger backpacks (and I don't think they were hikers). Norwegian did weigh it, but they certainly saw nothing about the size even to merit putting it in the box to check.

I had no problem last year with my Gregory J40 as a carry-on. I did what you suggested and packed things I wanted to use on the plane, plus things that would be difficult or impossible to replace at the last minute if my backpack went into luggage and disappeared, in a light carry-on to fit under my seat. I put this in the top of my bag to carry to the airport, but made sure that it was out and the main backpack cinched up tight for check-in and entering the plane. Wear your walking clothes and footwear, just in case. You can buy just about any hiking gear in St Jean Pied de Port (or Pamplona, or wherever you are starting) but you will want your basic stuff with you.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
@minaleigh - you say the 'specs say' the measurements are ... but have you measured it? Manufacturers will often give you the measurements of the bag filled to max capacity, which means that the lid will be full and floating on top of a stuffed main bag. My Tempest 30, which is the women's version of the Talon, in a M/L, which is similar to the Talon 33 S/M, has an 18 inch back system, plus a few inches for the shoulder straps and lid. I have been able to put mine under the seat in front of me on Ryanair when it was at 90% capacity so you should be fine. Also if they want you to put it in the measuring boxes/bins, a backpack is much more malleable than a hard shell suitcase with wheels, which are the ones they are worried about as they won't fit in the overhead bins on the plane. Get a measuring tape out before you worry any more though!

I couldn't decide to put this question in Equipment or Traveling to/from the camino. I figured here is a good place as any! Sorry if this has been discussed before. I tried searching carry-on and got over 200 results.

After looking up the guidelines for carry-on sizes for the different airlines I will be using, I'm getting a little nervous about the size of my bag. It's an Osprey Talon 33L, and the specs say it's 24 x 9 x 10 inches, which is just around the size limit for a carry-on. I'm worried that it'll have to be checked. I would go to an airport to test the bag out, but the nearest one is two hours away. I'm also bringing a nylon bag with a drawstring as a daypack for the camino, so it could be used to take some items out to make the bag look not so "bulky." It's beneath the weight limit at 13 pounds, but it just appears to be bigger. Maybe I could wrap my bag cover around the pack, using the draw strings to make it look smaller?

I guess my question is, has anyone had trouble getting their bag as a carry-on? If you either had the bag I have, or one with similar dimensions, please let me know! I would rather not check the bag as I fear the airlines would lose it, especially since I have to do this process three times just to get to the camino.
I have never had a single problem with carry on and have traveled almost every year with carry on backpack since 2006. I fly from and to New Zealand with different Airlines. My black diamond z poles are inside the pack.
I use a Deuter Groeden 30 ltr pack. It ends up weighing about 6.5 kg. I have never checked the dimensions.

The final say always belongs to the airline staff. And that can vary. It's best to stick within the regs if poss. I'd suggest that with your 33l you will be just fine. Good idea to make it look as small as poss.
Regards
Gerard

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

My 35 L and my son's 40L had no trouble as carry on even with the ever extremely anal Ryanair.

I've used an Osprey Talon 33L as a carry-on three times on previous Caminos now without any problems. Managed to keep the weight to 7 to 8 kg (airline max 10kg).

I keep hearing about walking stick and size of backpack as criteria for carryon luggage. But what about liquids? Between foot creams, conditiners, antipersiprant, antichaffing stuff, how does anyone do it? My Proshield plus alone is 125ml. I would have to empty it, and separate the content in two smaller packages.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I keep hearing about walking stick and size of backpack as criteria for carryon luggage. But what about liquids? Between foot creams, conditiners, antipersiprant, antichaffing stuff, how does anyone do it? My Proshield plus alone is 125ml. I would have to empty it, and separate the content in two smaller packages.

I bought a travel-sized bottle for sunscreen. It is 100mL or about 3.4 oz. Everything else I have is less or in solid form. I bought BodyGlide, which looks like a deodorant stick, for chaffing and blister prevention. It is 1.5 oz, but it shouldn't really matter because it's a solid, not a liquid. Same with my deodorant. My toothpaste is a travel-sized, like the kind you get from a trip to the dentist. If it runs out, I can just buy another there.

Just remember that solids don't count.

My 35 L and my son's 40L had no trouble as carry on even with the ever extremely anal Ryanair.

Thank you! After rearranging my bag a bit, it looks a lot less bulky.

Thanks everyone for the reassurance. Like I said, I've never taken anything bigger than a school backpack, so something this "big" made me unsure.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
You should be good with your Talon 33. I use my Talon 44 as carry on all the time. But in this world nothing is for certain. Here's my advice.

1) Pack only what you need. Don't overpack. And if there are some items you can pick up once in Spain/France, wait until you get there to buy them. Wear your bulky clothes onto the plane. Then use the compression straps and cinch your pack down tight.

2) This may seem silly, but be friendly & personable to tsa and airline employees. They are more likely to flag people who say nothing or worse are grumpy or negative. You'd be surprised how much a smile and small talk will get you.

Follow these two rules, and odds are you won't have a problem with your Talon 33. But Just in case, bring one of those daypacks that pack into a small pocket. Osprey has a good one. Or just a plastic bag even. That way, worse case scenario, if you have to check your pack, you can throw your valuables in the Packable pack for carry on.

Other than that, don't think too much about it. Just go and enjoy your adventure!

Bien Camino!

Most read last week in this forum

Hi there, I’m starting my first Camino Frances early May, and I don’t know whether I need hiking poles or not? I’m 26 years old, relatively fit and don’t have any injuries (yet!) I used poles for...
First Camino and walking with my wife. Decision time. Fleece and Puffer. I think one only but weather looks changeable at the moment. Trying to keep under 7kgs! Looking forward to a experience of...
Hi. Shawn and Lainey are a lovely couple - so positive! - who now live in Galicia and have a Youtube presence "Days we Spend" with plenty of excellent and informative Camino videos - they are...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
I am finally embarking on my first camino later this year. I will be taking my Canon R6 camera with me. For others that have taken DLSR’s or mirrorless cameras, what lens or lenses did you find...
With this device, you can pack everything you might want (including your fears) irrespective of weight.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.