• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Carry or have carried.

Carfax

Time of past OR future Camino
Samos to SDC April and May 2016
SDC to Fisterra and Muxia) August 2016
Does having your possessions carried from accommodation to accommodation (assisted pilgrimage) make it less of a pilgrimage?
It has been put to me that this imposes a schedule on one which does not allow the full experience of the path, the way, to be achieved?
Any thoughts?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Carfax, you're opening a can of worms...and there will probably be many opinions voiced.;)
I like that you are asking, and it's a perennial question here on the Forum...

Mine, for what it's worth (having done the Camino both ways): It certainly doesn't make it 'less of a pilgrimage'...that's more about the heart and your intention for the walk than the logistics of how you do it.

But for me carrying my things was a much, much, deeper experience on more levels than I can easily articulate.
You wonder about a schedule specifically: Freedom to walk unfettered by the tyranny of a plan is delicious. It allows the journey to unfold naturally. And in a strange way that makes it safe for the heart to open naturally, too. No agenda. Nothing forced.
My experience and view, and maybe not everyone's.

And if you cannot carry your things, that's fine...never mind. Certainly it's not 'less' (in my book, anyway).
Believe me, it'll be a pilgrimage, either way, if that's what you want!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Does having your possessions carried from accommodation to accommodation (assisted pilgrimage) make it less of a pilgrimage?
It has been put to me that this imposes a schedule on one which does not allow the full experience of the path, the way, to be achieved?
Any thoughts?

Hi Carfax,

Having your gear sent ahead does impose a schedule. Simply because you have to make it to wherever you shipped your gear. If you get injured, too tired, or really enjoy a particular town... you'll have to keep going to wherever you had your gear shipped to.
As to whether or not shipping it ahead makes it less of a pilgrimage? In my opinion: absolutely not.

Buen Camino!

Ron

If you keep your packing tight and have a pack that you could, if you wished and when you've got up a bit of milage and experience, try carrying on a shorter/easier segments then you could try both options (just have a soft fold day pack to carry what you need for a day). Using one of the local carriers for the 1st week or so and then on and off as you feel/if you feel the need to use them. These services are very easy to access en route all along the Camino Frances. Then you could experience staying in the albergues -if you wanted to- when carrying your pack and also full range of private accommodation when using the carriers. For some pilgrims it's not the question of 'to carry or not carry' but accommodation anxiety and need to have a booking is what dictates their daily distance.
When I walked the CF I was walking with a friend who had never done any long distance walking before and we learned a very valuable lesson (well for us scary cats) In Zubiri on the evening of our 2nd days walking Frances was feeling pretty bushed and anxious so we decided that if she needed to we would take the bus to Pamplona the next day-the relief was palpable and she got a good nights sleep. The next morning (Holy Thursday) we waited at the bus stop for maybe 15 minutes and then Frances said "you know we could walk on a bit to the next village and get it there" so we did walk on and walked on and on to Pamplona (by the way there were actually no buses that day but we didn't know that!) So by being a little bit permissive with ourselves and allowing even just the idea of options/alternatives meant that we relaxed and, if not getting rid of our anxieties, at least managed them a little. In fact by using the daily comfort device of saying to ourselves "you know if we need to we can take the bus-but let's just walk for a little bit first" we managed day to day……to walk all the way to SDC.
Don't be worried make the decision based on your needs-and anyway you can always do it again (you may have noticed some of us do!). Each time I walk the lighter my pack gets (only by a little bit and I still pack too much but I'm getting better) and the more relaxed I get about 'the rules' or indeed my own expectations. So I'm learning to carry less in more ways than one. On my current route if the service were available I'd happily make use of the services of a personal Sherpa….but no luck with that so far ;)

Last edited:
Any thoughts?
The only impositions I know of are time, money, and unfortunately illness snd injury. The first 2 require a schedule and are self imposed the last uncontrollable.

It's your camino. What you get out of your camino and take home with you will be unique to you. The only rule I know of is the "you must walk the last 100 kilometers to get your certificate of accomplishment" rule.

I've seen statues and pictures of pilgrims of old. Haven't seen one yet with a pack. Just the clothes on their back, a hat, a staff, a gourd water bottle and a possables bag. Buen Camino

Happy Trails

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
If you keep your packing tight and have a pack that you could, if you wished and when you've got up a bit of milage and experience, try carrying it on a shorter/easier segments then you could try both options (just have a soft fold day pack to carry what you need for a day). Using one of the local carriers for the 1st week or so and then on and off as you feel/if you feel the need to use them. These services are very easy to access en route all along the Camino Frances. Then you could experience staying in the albergues -if you wanted to- when carrying your pack and also full range of private accommodation when using the carriers. For some pilgrims it's not the question of 'to carry or not carry' but accommodation anxiety and need to have a booking is what dictates their daily distance.
When I walked the CF I was walking with a friend who had never done any long distance walking before and we learned a very valuable lesson (well for us scary cats) In Zubiri on the evening of our 2nd days walking Frances was feeling pretty bushed and anxious so we decided that if she needed to we would take the bus to Pamplona the next day-the relief was palpable and she got a good nights sleep. The next morning (Holy Thursday) we waited at the bus stop for maybe 15 minutes and then Frances said "you know we could walk on a bit to the next village and get it there" so we did walk on and walked on and on to Pamplona (by the way there were actually no buses that day but we didn't know that!) So by being a little bit permissive with ourselves and allowing even just the idea of options/alternatives meant that we relaxed and, if not getting rid of our anxieties, at least managed them a little. In fact by using the daily comfort device of saying to ourselves "you know if we need to we can take the bus-but let's just walk for a little bit first" we managed day to day……to walk all the way to SDC.
Don't be worried make the decision based on your needs-and anyway you can always do it again (you may have noticed some of us do!). Each time I walk the lighter my pack gets (only by a little bit and I still pack too much but I'm getting better) and the more relaxed I get about 'the rules' or indeed my own expectations. So I'm learning to carry less in more ways than one. On my current route if the service were available I'd happily make use of the services of a personal Sherpa;)
I agree with your assessment, the hard part is trusting the bag would be where I needed it. It is just hard to give up a bag that has the basics of warmth or shelter from the elements. I think it definetly is a personal choice, I agree we all carry more in other ways than just the weight of our packs. I just never consider Sherpas

So by being a little bit permissive with ourselves and allowing even just the idea of options/alternatives meant that we relaxed and, if not getting rid of our anxieties, at least managed them a little. In fact by using the daily comfort device of saying to ourselves "you know if we need to we can take the bus-but let's just walk for a little bit first" we managed day to day……to walk all the way to SDC.
Nell, I love how you very kindly gave yourselves permission to not walk...and then because it allowed you to relax, you could walk anyway. (A beautiful act of friendship on your part, too, by the way...)
True kindness (not indulgence so much as responsiveness) is so much more useful than 'shoulds'....

Hi Carfax
I'm a Brissy boy and did my first Camino aged 68 with a couple of tin hips. I had never done any walk like this before.
Lots of good advice above.
I carried my pack apart from a couple of days where I was feeling a little weak or knew there was a steep or longish day ahead. I did make sure I was used to it by carrying it on the last two weeks of daily walking before I left. It wasn't a problem. Mine weighed 6 kilos.
You are going to have a wonderful and interesting time.
Regards
Gerard

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi @Carfax ,

There are many ways of making a pilgrimage and lots of choices about our logistical arrangements. For many people, the practical help offered by a bag carrying service makes their pilgrimage possible and enjoyable.

Personally, I prefer to carry my own bag - I wrote about this in another thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/camino-conversations.33562/ However, I used the baggage service a few times on my first Camino and I wouldn't rule out doing it again if the need arose. It's easily arranged on a day by day basis, so it doesn't have to be a big decision that you make in advance.

Nuala

Last edited:
Any thoughts?
On the camino, you don't need to bring with you a lot of things. Walking with your backpack gives you the freedom to change your plans during the day. If you send your backpack you can't make changes, and sometimes you will have to wait for the backpack to arrive in the afternoon. I would never send my backpack, but I only carry, what I need on the camino. I think, pilgrims sometimes brings too much on a pilgrimage...it is not a charterholiday !

Any thoughts?
Hi, no it does not. The only thing is you have to go to the destination you send your pack to.
I wish you well and a Buen Camino, Peter.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
You may lose your pack weight in the first two weeks, so you can do half each way!!

I did ship my pack one day when I wanted to walk a long distance. I had to catch up to my bag in a taxi; my distance ability, it seems, was not controlled by the pack. I can only walk so long, then I run out of steam, pack or no pack!! ;)

Any thoughts?
As mentioned above, there is no Camino 'rule' about this, but some pilgrims have personal opinions about what is and isn't a true pilgrimage.
As Urban Trekker said, it's your personal pilgrimage. It comes from what is in your heart and personal reasons for doing it, therefore walking the Camino will bring to you what you need/ look for/ let go of, etc. That happens because of the day to day experience of the Camino community and your moment to moment decisions to achieve those goals.
For some, using the backpack courier services can be the difference as to whether or not you achieve why you're doing the Camino and the beauty is that it can be a different decision each day. You just decide the day before, but you could also decide to just walk a shorter day etc.
Enjoy whatever you choose.

Dear Carfax,

Different points of view and excellent advice given by others.

I like to think of a pilgrimage as being a journey that one makes to a holy place leaving aside for a period of time ones usual daily life. How exactly one travels is not the most important thing . It is a matter of internal intention and attitude. It is wise to do the pilgrimage as 'one can' rather than try to do it as 'others think one should'.

Listen to the advice and then go with own gut feeling.

Buen Camino.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Planning to transport your pack and/or use buses and taxis before you leave home does seems to be a rather new development. This is, of course, for those with no physical limitations.

Why not plan to carry your pack and walk each day....you can always change your mind if it is too much for you. Give it a go.

There has always been pack transport available but on a much more limited scale than we are seeing now. Even the post office is spending euros advertising the service.

We see people encouraging others here, and on Facebook, that pack transport is the new normal.

Please don't respond with MY or YOUR Camino...that does not make it any more than just an opinion.
Remember, those of us who advocate carrying and walking as much as physically able are entitled to express that without a group beat down. :)

Definitely personal choice. I forwarded my pack four times and it does compromise flexibility. Just one word of warning. I forwarded my pack one day on the Meseta. I thought I was warmly dressed and did take my jacket in my day pack. But there was the most ghastly chilling wind blowing that I nearly froze. Many other pilgrims were in the same condition as me, almost hypothermic. The Camino ambulance was up and down the path treating people. It gave me a real fright and next time I will make sure that I also carry light layers of merino in my day pack. That was my worst day on the Camino. I still shudder when I think about it.

We are planning our second Camino for August/2016. On August/2015, I had to have spinal surgery due to an accident. I will not carry my backpack. I will only carry a day pack. For me it will not take anything away from the experience. I am sure that St. James will understand. Buen Camino.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
We are planning our second Camino for August/2016. On August/2015, I had to have spinal surgery due to an accident. I will not carry my backpack. I will only carry a day pack. For me it will not take anything away from the experience. I am sure that St. James will understand. Buen Camino.

vgen5122
enjoy the camino regardless,of carrying a pack
must be delicate process recovering from spinal surgery

hope you recover fully.....for your next camino

Any thoughts?

could of mention before in the first post replying to you....some who have the packs forwarded have it dropped off the village before and then walk a little way with it.
you are not obligated to stay at the place your bag is left....

I have never used the service..also if you decided you wanted to stop before the place where your bag is left .that is easy sorted out...in private albegues they can phone a cab its not much.. really....you are only doing a short trip this time so doubt it would even be a issue..

another point if you are sure you wish to use the pack service you may as well pack some goodies..since your not carrying it...this does not mean bring your golf clubs.

. ......SNIP.........Many other pilgrims were in the same condition as me, almost hypothermic. The Camino ambulance was up and down the path treating people. It gave me a real fright .....SNIP....

"The Camino Ambulance "??
Really??? Is there now such a thing? That is the first reference I have seen of that.
Where and how does that work?

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Really??? Is there now such a thing? That is the first reference I have seen of that.
If I didn't know the name of an ambulance provider I may just call it the same thing, that is my assumption when reading this. I think who ever dispatched an ambulance must have been being notified of pilgrims in possible distress. Sounds to me as they understood the severity of the situation to go out & work that section of the Camino.

I have also found that carrying or not does not affect distance I am able to cover in a day, and frankly it did not affect the discomfort, tired muscles and painful feet. Odd, isn't. But how tempted I get when I see those enveloppes on the CF :confused::confused: thankfully no enveloppes or temptation on the Norte and Primitivo.

Just keep in my that some albergues will not give you a bed unless you come by foot and carrying your gear, unless you can show a doctor's note. Also, sending your bag ahead does not garantee you a bed, the albergie will just serve as a bag deposit unless you call ahead and make a reservation.

Any thoughts?

Tailor YOUR Camino to YOUR abilities and limitations, the only disadvantage by having your personal belongings transported is you are bound by where it gets delivered to.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Personally, I prefer to carry my pack. It's part of me and my Pilgrimage.
By shipping your pack, apart from the being obliged to arrive at the place where you forwarded your pack to, which means that you can't just spontaneously stop earlier if you so wish, there is always that niggling thought that you might not find your pack, once you arrive at the supposed destination!
I have used transport service on a couple of occasions, once after walking for two days with an unknown broken rib, after having fallen flat on my face. The carrying of the pack didn't bother me, but I just couldn't lie down at night to sleep, hence after two very uncomfortable nights, I sent the pack forward for one day. After that, I then carried it again. Another time, I had been ill for several days, so Adriaan insisted that the first day's walk after I felt well again, I should send the pack forward.
I'm sure that in the Middle Ages, the Pilgrims used pack mules if they could afford it!

Just wanted to add one more thing, IMHO, programming your whole Camino, going by a schedule, I think must somewhat spoil the spontaneity of your Pilgrimage! There are so many things that crop up along the Way, that it's alm

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I did a long hike (102 days) twelve years ago. At the time I was worried about being a "purist"' to the (ridiculous) point that if the trail had a spur to the northeast to get to the campsite, upon leaving the next morning I wouldn't take the exit trail to the northwest which joined the "official trail" a quarter mile ahead: I'd backtrack to where I left "the trail" and then walk forwards (only to intersect the campsite exit trail 20 minutes later.) In the end I didn't finish the trail due to foot problems.

In retrospect now 12 years later - I could care less if it was done as a "purist" or not.

I wish I had been more relaxed, stopped and smelled the roses more, not worried about schedule, taken more days off or a taxi ahead when my feet were talking to me.... I hope to do these things better when we do our first Camino this winter.

I agree with what others are saying about enjoying the freedom and flexibility of carrying your own pack, but also see nothing wrong with having it shipped ahead. I think you should do what feels right to you, what your body tells you it can handle, what will give you the experience you want as well as the level of challenge that you will enjoy both the struggle and the satisfaction of doing.

Buen Camino!

@Bajaracer , and I am saying this tongue in cheek, are you saying that if one does not have limitations and is able to carry, that you are of the opinion that one should carry. Oh the can of worms :p:D:eek:.

Hundreds of years ago, the elite and wealthy probably didn't carry anything, they had porters or pack animals for that, they probably rode on horse or donkey as well.
I don't know what the OP's situation is, if having his belongings transported ahead will help him complete his Camino, prevent further injury, and has the means, by all means go ahead.

Greetings Carfax,

As you can readily see we fellow pilgrims are rather adamant that no one should judge how another pilgrim walks/rides/goes on the Camino. The Camino is sacred to us and we are committed to keeping it open and welcoming to all regardless of their motivation or interest. Some of us are quite spiritual and appreciate the historical, religious concept of the Camino. Some of us are strictly focused on more of a touristy, good health idea of walking a long distance through a foreign land. Many of us fall somewhere in between these two.

Follow and do what feels right for you. Understand that making a decision today to ship your backpack does not require that you continue. There are different groups that provide this service of transporting baggage ahead. Work with one that assures you the utmost flexibility. This will empower you adjust to the Camino. She is a good teacher if we will take the time to listen to her.

Buen Camino,

Any thoughts?

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hallo Carfax

Your Camino - your Experience - your Way. No less a pilgrim if you carry or not. Can't add too much more to the excellent advice already provided.

However, you did not say whether you were walking alone or with companions. We started as a group of three and one of our party found that she could not carry her pack after struggling up to Orisson. We chauffeured her pack from there most of the way to Santiago while we continued to carry ours. We were then tied to her pack's destination each night as well as having to work out where we would head to the next day. So you do lose some of the spontaneity and need to plan ahead. Plus, unburdened, our companion's pace was vastly different to ours. But then, pilgrims rarely walk at the same pace or together all the time.

Did it bother us? Not really in the end because we accepted that this is how THIS particular Camino would be. Another year, a different Camino, a different experience.

Sending your pack on won't be a lesser experience of the Camino, just a different one.

Buen Camino!

@Carfax We have carried our bags as we were happy doing so. We actually find it easier to walk with a pack than without. This year, in Betanzos, we thought about forwarding our pack(s) to Meson do Vento, but we needed the packs themselves to carry water etc. If we had found a cheap sports type bag we might have used the Correos service. In the end we walked on with the full packs as there were no other bags around. If you plan to send your pack on, even if occasionally, then a tough but light zip up bag in your pack would give you flexibility. I am thinking the sort of zip, woven plastic shopping type bag (with handles) which are tough, waterproof and weigh very little so would fold up or make a pack liner when not sent ahead. You then have a pack to walk with to carry food/drink/fleece/waterproof as needed but not full weight.

This is a great conversation, I did not know how much I would trust someone taking my bag to the next stop. It would appear for what I read here that this is perfectly safe to do. I'm planning to carry my bag but my wife who has a back injury that prevent her from doing many things would be very happy to send her pack ahead. Now, my question to those of you that have done this is: Is this a service provided by the Spanish post office or private individuals and is there a time scheduled for pick up re: no later that say 5:00pm?

Thanks Chris

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
On the Camino Inglés the Correos is the service available and we read that they expect packs to be ready for collection by 7.00am. We saw them arrive to collect at about 7.15 and they were not happy having to wait for the packs that were not ready. I do not know what time they delivered them to the next stop(s).
Jacotrans is a different system which others will be able to comment about. We saw a pilgrim using the system, he left his pack when he set off. The previous day it had arrived, where we were all staying, around lunchtime and well before he did.

I had read about it previously, not sure where. I was on that long leg from Carrion de Los Condes and the ambulance was just cruising the trail checking on people.

On the Camino Inglés the Correos is the service available and we read that they expect packs to be ready for collection by 7.00am. We saw them arrive to collect at about 7.15 and they were not happy having to wait for the packs that were not ready. I do not know what time they delivered them to the next stop(s).
Jacotrans is a different system which others will be able to comment about. We saw a pilgrim using the system, he left his pack when he set off. The previous day it had arrived, where we were all staying, around lunchtime and well before he did.

Gracias Tia Valeria.
7am I can do, my wife not so much but I could have her pack ready the night before. Sounds like a good alternative.

Chris

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
When I volunteered as a hospitalero in Carrion de los Condes, Jancotrans picked up the packs at about 8am, usually after the pilgrims had left.
A couple of the nuns would check the tags each day and be sure to tell me that all of the packs were American. Actually not that many packs were transported each day.
It seems they had noticed this a month or so earlier and were happy to point it out to us.
Actually, they were almost all American with maybe one each day from somewhere else. It seems we Americans are keeping the transport people in business.
I am not sure if this high percentage holds true in other places but it was during the two weeks I was there.

I must admit that I have always seen this as a logistics problem, not one that goes to the heart of what might be the nature of pilgrimage. In 2010, I only met one person who had their pack carried before Sarria, and a few after that, but I heard of many others. I also heard of many people taking the bus, or catching a taxi from time to time, particularly getting into or out of cities like Burgos and Leon. I met far fewer who admitted having done so. None of these things seemed to make any difference to my pilgrimage, and I was never inquisitive enough to find out whether it had affected their pilgrimage. Perhaps I never considered it my concern.

When I volunteered as a hospitalero in Carrion de los Condes, Jancotrans picked up the packs at about 8am, usually after the pilgrims had left.
A couple of the nuns would check the tags each day and be sure to tell me that all of the packs were American. Actually not that many packs transported each day.
It seems they had noticed this a month or so earlier and were happy to point it out to us.
Actually, they were almost all American with maybe one each day from somewhere else. It seems we Americans are keeping the transport people in business.
I am not sure if this high percentage holds true in other places but it was during the two weeks I was there.

The Jacotrans envelopes require only name, email and phone (if you have one), and of course delivery address. I'm not sure that it's really possible to determine nationality from these except where the person is using a US (or other) phone number - and as we know, lots of pilgrims have Spanish phones on the Camino, so it sounds as though a few assumptions may have been made there! On our Camino Frances in April-May-June this year, we stayed in a combination of private albergues, pensions, casas rurales, small hotels etc. In every place we stayed, albergues included, there was a pile of luggage awaiting collection every morning. There were backpacks, duffles, suitcases small and large, and they belonged to pilgrims of many nationalities (I know this not from the labels, except for those who attached flag patches or similar, but from having met their owners). In some cases the labels were of tour companies, but most usually they were individual day-to-day Jacotrans (or other company) labels/envelopes. At times it almost seemed that more of the people we met (walking during the day as well as at night in our accommodation) used luggage transport than carried their own. People have many and varied reasons for doing so. In our case, it enabled us to walk the Camino, simple as that. I would not have a clue (and don't consider it my business) what everyone else's reasons for using these services might be. It's simply not relevant to me or to my experience of the Camino.

Exactly...except that I recall that many people write U.S.A. Or EEUU on the envelopes.
Most packs also have a luggage type tag attached as well..
Oh yes of course - I forgot about the normal luggage tags! Yes, and along with knowing the pilgrims they had met on arrival as @Anemone del Camino says too.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi @Carfax ,

There are many ways of making a pilgrimage and lots of choices about our logistical arrangements. For many people, the practical help offered by a bag carrying service makes their pilgrimage possible and enjoyable.

Personally, I prefer to carry my own bag - I wrote about this in another thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/camino-conversations.33562/ However, I used the baggage service a few times on my first Camino and I wouldn't rule out doing it again if the need arose. It's easily arranged on a day by day basis, so it doesn't have to be a big decision that you make in advance.

Nuala
Thank you for that input - question though - how did you know where to send your bag??

Thank you for that input - question though - how did you know where to send your bag??

Hi Carfax - I only sent the bag ahead on days where I had pre-booked accommodation. As other have said, this can impose restrictions that may or may not be to your liking.

Hi Carfax - I only sent the bag ahead on days where I had pre-booked accommodation. As other have said, this can impose restrictions that may or may not be to your liking.
:)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

That is the problem. You have to decide, usually the night before, the destination that you will walk to the next day. You can pick the first accommodation in the chosen village and pick up your pack there. Then you can decide whether you want to stay there, at alternative accommodation or perhaps walk on.

Due to our companion suddenly deciding that she could not carry her pack (halfway through day 1 of 44 so it was a bit of a surprise), we chauffeured it on for nearly the full distance to Santiago. Usually this was to where we had to book accommodation but, on a few occasions, we were caught out. Once my husband got really ill and we had to stop very early. Our companion continued on the booked accommodation and we met up again the following night. On other days even though my husband and I were carrying our packs, we could have walked further but our companion without a pack could not so we stopped short.

It does restrict you and require some effort in planning when you might just want to enjoy a rest in the afternoon or take in the sights. You do need to be prepared for this and accept it as part of the process, as we did. Then you don't resent it. It just becomes part of what you do each day.

Any thoughts?
Everyone makes good points concerning having to get to the destination where the pack is sent, losing some of the spontaneity of having a predetermined destination, etc. but in my opinion, it is your camino, do it the way you want. It is such a personal thing that no one way of doing it is better or worse. I'm planning on sending my pack and my wife's next year on those days when my back, and her's, just can't take it. Or those days when I am too tired to wanna carry it, as light or heavy as it might be. I don't see that it will be more or less spiritual, for me, to have my pack sent ahead. Or to take a any form of transportation when the body just does not want to cooperate. Of course, I have a herniated disk in my lower back, so having a back spasm episode during my camino is not something I want to chance. Again, that is what works for me. So, again, do it the way you want. It is your camino. Buen camino, peregrino.

Any thoughts?

Not carrying diminishes the experience, unless there are health reasons, but it's not sufficient to make it "less of a pilgrimage".

The pack is a physical burden, certainly -- but it grants a spiritual/intellectual/moral independence that JacoTrans destroys.

I always advise anyone healthy enough to carry their pack, and to walk every step -- it's not that people who don't aren't pilgrims, it's that the pain of regret is greater than the pain on the Camino, but the sense of accomplishment is greater than either

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I had to have spinal surgery due to an accident. I will not carry my backpack.

I'm one of those pesky "true pilgrims" -- and well, in your case, I strongly advise you NOT to carry that pack. The Camino isn't a sport competition LOL

Blessings on your Way, may the Apostle and our Lord aid and protect you on the Way

I did a long hike (102 days) twelve years ago. At the time I was worried about being a "purist"'

I'm most certainly a "purist", but it's not been something I've worried about since 1994

It's an attitude, not a masochism nor a self-punishment

There's no point being a "purist" for the sake of "purism", but it's a philosophy of the Way that's afraid of neither necessities nor imperfections, provided they are provided by reason

You just do as well as you can, and you avoid all unnecessary compromise

Failure to live up to that ideal is inevitable

Of course you could always do what they did back in the Middle Ages and carry nothing but your sins . . .

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I'm planning on sending my pack and my wife's next year on those days when my back, and her's, just can't take it. Or those days when I am too tired to wanna carry it, as light or heavy as it might be. Of course, I have a herniated disk in my lower back, so having a back spasm episode during my camino is not something I want to chance. Again, that is what works for me. So, again, do it the way you want. It is your camino. Buen camino, peregrino.
First things first, a well fited bag will not be difficult to carry. I have scoliosis ( with pain stopping me from putting a foot in front of the other and turning in bed) and as long as I pack my bag well, keep it light, and am very careful when putting it on I am fine. And then there is also the voltaren pill I take as a précaution. You May have a more painful condition, all I am saying is that there are ways to maximise the odds you'll be fine.

Second, it's not you back that will suffering but your feet.

Third, you don't know what works for you might be surprised to find out not only that you can both carry your bag, but that on the days you do not, things are not any easier.

SYates or another regular poster once said something about making a distinction between avoiding pain and in jury vs avoiding discomfort, and I really loved that. Because frankly, for me, the whole Camino is discomfort, but nothing grounds me to what matters in life more than being on the Camino.

Just give it a chance, you may surprise yourself, and enjoy it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Any thoughts?

First 6 years always carried,looking back i think thats what was expected on the first camino , in our opinion.
Thats changed once you continue with more varied paths and see all the wonderful people doing it their way.
This year because of torn tendons in shoulders we had it transported in France and part of Spain .
Because we had already done the GR65 and Frances we were selecting towns we had never stayed in so this made the decision less difficult .
Plus we upgraded the accommodation..... as you do when ageing.
I think HRH will have her bag carried from now on and she will more than likely throw all her personal stuff into the one on my back.

Nobody who understands the camino will think less of you either way .
Go and enjoy and this should get the purists going;
Get a bus from the 100km mark and when you reach SDC start walking to Muxia/ Finistere.
Watch this space mate.

For me it think it would have been more of a challenge to send my bag ahead and give up control (to a point) of where to stop (spur of the moment) or how far to go. This might have helped me learn and grow in different ways and add to any lesson I might have learned. I find more comfort in having every thing I might need with me at all times.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
As a dissenting voice...

I think that on the camino, as in life, it is important to carry one's load. Of course, this is just my opinion and I would never insist on it. It is a burden to carry one's possessions (for that month or so) but also a tremendous freedom – just one of the paradoxes of pilgrimage. Of course, each person's burdens are different, and so, then are each person's opportunities for freedom, and it's just as important to not judge another by what we carry.

Buen camino

I've done it both ways. Personally, I enjoy the freedom without my pack. either way. Medieval pilgrims who could afford it hired their bags delivered. It's your choice and it's so easy you can try it both ways. Carry it sometimes. Hire it on the tougher stages.

Always an interesting discussion.

I had to transport my bag out of necessity due to injury. So Yes, I had to know my destination each day. I actually didn't find that too restricting. I started off with short days and gradually built up. Then cut down towards the end again as injuries worsened.

In 40 days I don't think there was actually a day when I regretted having to stop where my bag had arrived or indeed push on to where it was, still some way ahead of me. Perhaps the secret is to be realistic in your abilities and just think carefully about how far you want to walk the next day, the villages and towns along that section etc etc A couple of days I walked too far, and made injuries worse, but pack or no pack would not have made a difference as the villages were far apart on those days. i.e. I couldn't really have stopped much shorter anyway. And wouldn't have wanted to.

I had planned to transport my bag for the first few days anyway. So whilst all my gear did just fit in my pack, I also tucked in one of those nylon zip up bags. See pic. You'll all know it from the pic. Weighs almost nothing and very strong.

That was my 'luggage' and it survived being transported for 40 days!

But of course I had my full size pack, in case I did want to carry it all.

I felt much more comfortable walking with my full size pack than some kind of skimpy day sac. Because it was very comfortable, and I could fit in all my stuff for the day very easily. Waterproofs, water bladder, spare socks, medical gear, food etc Having a full size pack, and the zipper bag gave me all the options. Carry everything, carry some, or just carry the bare minimum. Actually I did have one of those sea to summit nylon day packs, that weight about 50 gms as well! So that gave me the option of literally just carrying a water proof jacket and a bottle of water if required. I never ended up using it really. My main pack (Osprey 32L) was just so comfortable.

So I guess my 2 cents worth, is plan to give yourself lots of options....in the way that you pack and what you take.

And as others have remarked:

It's your Camino, walk it how you like!

and

I also never saw pilgrim statues or paintings that showed heavy back packs ;)

Attachments

• bag.png
    bag.png
    131.9 KB · Views: 7
SYates or another regular poster once said something about making a distinction between avoiding pain and in jury vs avoiding discomfort, and I really loved that. Because frankly, for me, the whole Camino is discomfort, but nothing toes me more to what matter pas in life than being on the Camino.

Love that comment. :)

I took great care every day to avoid injury and excess pain. As these could have stopped my Camino. (caring for feet, treating injuries, being careful with weight, distances walked, taking a break when told by Medicos)

But discomfort? That almost becomes a Camino 'friend' I think ;)
Most days had a fair share of discomfort in one way or another......

Like Many said before , carrying the Bag give me a sense of tremendous freedom. It can be compared to the difference you feel when you are a solo Traveler or traveling in a tour Group. Before doing My camino , my friend wanted to use the Luggage Transport but i advise her not to do so , and at the end she was so happy.
In My Opinion , for nearly everything in life there is a certain " Etiquette's " for example for a pilgrim : a light Bag , a stick , a Shell , the arrow , however , this only in normal conditions and not when someone is Injured.

I'm most certainly a "purist", but it's not been something I've worried about since 1994

It's an attitude, not a masochism nor a self-punishment

There's no point being a "purist" for the sake of "purism", but it's a philosophy of the Way that's afraid of neither necessities nor imperfections, provided they are provided by reason

You just do as well as you can, and you avoid all unnecessary compromise

Failure to live up to that ideal is inevitable

Hi JabbaPapa
I'm curious, what does it mean to be "purist"? And in your previous note you mentioned that you are a "true pilgrim". What makes a true pilgrim.

Chris

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi, no it does not. The only thing is you have to go to the destination you send your pack to.
I wish you well and a Buen Camino, Peter.
Hi Peter, I walked from St Jean DPP to Pamplona and send my bag on ahead of me each day, it didnt make it any less of a pilgrimage for me, nor should it, we are all doing the camino for our own reasons, for ourselves, therefore we should please ourselves as to how we travel, ie with or without our luggage. I had a backpack with my wallet, passport, rain gear and change of shoes and got the rest sent on ahead. It had to be collected by 8am and was always at my next destination before I arrived. Buen Camino

Carfax,

Whether you carry or not is a matter for you. Merely walking the Camino makes you a pilgrim. Each to his own!

Graeme

As a dissenting voice...

I think that on the camino, as in life, it is important to carry one's load. Of course, this is just my opinion and I would never insist on it. It is a burden to carry one's possessions (for that month or so) but also a tremendous freedom – just one of the paradoxes of pilgrimage. Of course, each person's burdens are different, and so, then are each person's opportunities for freedom, and it's just as important to not judge another by what we carry.

Buen camino

Aussie you are correct in everything you say but the question was
" Is it less a pilgrimage if assisted by luggage being carried "
" Does it lessen the experience"
The answer is NO

As you say correctly we cannot judge someone by what they carry.
My sister just finished the Primitivo and Finisterre...........believe me she carries as she did the Austrian alps before Spain.
On reaching the Frances she soon got the bus. As an old pilgrim as in age 67 [ sorry oldies] and her many camino's she was disgusted in the cars taking PILGRIMS to churches for a stamp and then the next village etc, etc , etc
All these she knew had just commenced.
When you see someone Aussie who has a light daypack you might ask yourself has this person started in their home village in any of the surrounding countries......or in Paris or Le Puy or Arles or anywhere in between the 2000km radius.
I once walked with a man who USED a donkey to carry his luggage.
This man was actually the President of Care France , who i believe gives all his time , and a lot of $$$ to the less fortunate.
He was a Merchant Banker in NYC before returning home.
Thats why your last sentence " Its important not to judge " is paramount.

** Is there photo/drawing of St Jimmy with his luggage anywhere or did the local farmers have the "T "model to drive him to dinner ???

As you say correctly we cannot judge someone by what they carry.

Of course, but that wasn't the question :)

It's not a question about judging others, but about judging oneself.

And BTW I have the highest respect for donkey and horse Pilgrims, who must care for another creature before even the first thought for themselves.

Needing to care for one's pack is but a shadow of the care that those Pilgrims must provide along the Way. But it's a fertile shadow, IMO, and the fullness of the burden provides a reward that a transport service cannot give.

Hi JabbaPapa
I'm curious, what does it mean to be "purist"? And in your previous note you mentioned that you are a "true pilgrim". What makes a true pilgrim.

Chris, sorry, I've answered the "true pilgrim" question too recently to want to dig it up again. It's not something to take too seriously, which is why I put it in quote marks, as tongue-in-cheek.

--

The "purist" question is easier, as it's technical.

The "purist" is one who walks or who has walked from home to the Cathedral, and preferably (but not necessarily) back again, all on one go, without time constraints, using no JacoTrans or other facilitators, with money or without, in the simplest manner possible, and preferably alone. There's nothing "better" about it ; but to make a parallel with the principal US hiking trail, the "purist" is as the thru-hiker on the PCT, compared to one who just walks a section as dependent on time constraints.

But there's something magic about walking from your front door to the Cathedral in Santiago :)

Done it twice, two different front doors.

It's hellish too, the sheer loneliness of the "purist" Way is harsh to deal with, and you can't help but find yourself set apart from the other Pilgrims who haven't faced the same challenge, and there's no community of "purist" Pilgrims to seek support from, because it's such an intrinsically solitary Way to Santiago, even after you reach the Francès.

That doesn't mean that you flee company, quite the contrary when it's there -- but it means that you have several weeks of hiking already in you while everyone else is still on their training wheels.

A perhaps more interesting aspect of the "purist" experience is that there's no longer any special difference between the roads near home, the hiking trails and roads between home and the Francès, and the Francès itself -- they're all just pathways to your destination.

The delight of the Francès remains the excellent company :)

Thanks for your reply JabbaPapa, I see what you mean.
I thought of doing the PCT but the whole thing about sleeping outdoors didn't do it for me. Definitely not a purist here, would not be able to star from my front door to do the Camino Frances, the pond between Canada and Europe makes it difficult. Now, if I were in the EU I would definitely consider starting from my front door.

Chris

Thanks for your reply JabbaPapa, I see what you mean.
I thought of doing the PCT but the whole thing about sleeping outdoors didn't do it for me. Definitely not a purist here, would not be able to star from my front door to do the Camino Frances, the pond between Canada and Europe makes it difficult. Now, if I were in the EU I would definitely consider starting from my front door.

Chris
You can always start walking from the airport in Paris, Madrid, Zurich, Frankfurt...

No a bad idea Anemone. I will be starting from St. Jean for my first Camino next year, will see how I do. I understand that is somewhat addictive so who knows what would be next.

Chris

€60,-
I don't think this guy was any less a pilgrim just because he had 'Rocinante' to transport his pack. BTW, check out the yellow arrows on 'Rocinante's' front hooves.

Attachments

• 2015-06-22 08.48.36.jpg
    2015-06-22 08.48.36.jpg
    177.3 KB · Views: 17
Any thoughts?
No, I did this in September, and booked a few days ahead at a time. Was great Jacotrans were amazing and reliable, Buen Camino!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
As a dissenting voice...

Buen camino
Thank you, Aussie Peregrino! Of all the comments here, this is the one I like most!

Any thoughts?
Used the service available on a part of the Primitivo. No problems, bag there and people great and kind. Was an interesting feeling to have nothing - a reverse lesson for me. I have not read all the above. Thanks for posting and Buen Camino!

Used the service available on a part of the Primitivo. No problems, bag there and people great and kind. Was an interesting feeling to have nothing - a reverse lesson for me. I have not read all the above. Thanks for posting and Buen Camino!
Bit on the Primitivo it's not as if you have many options on where to spend the night, so your freedom to decode after the backpack os gome is not much of an issue: it's not as if you are likely to say "oh, lets walk another 10km after these first 24" :oops:

Any thoughts?

Many thoughts. I never did it, but I walked several weeks with somebody who needed his backpack carried because of an injured back playing up badly. I don't think having your luggage carried makes it less of a pilgrimage. But it certainly reduces your spontaneity. You will every evening have to determine exactly where you will stay the next day. My Camino friend hated that, but he had no other choice, for him it was luggage transport or giving up his pilgrimage. Buen Camino, SY

I think it depends why you are having your bags carried: because you cannot, or because you think you cannot. Every step of the Camino I think I cannot, my feet hurt. Turns out I jave flat feet. So it's just a "I wish this was not so uncomfortable". Bit pain is fine, just not fun. And then there is plantar fasciitis, which I developped on Camino 4. That is a "cannot" as it's not jist discomfot, but an injury. And wouldn't you know it, no bag tavel on that route, so ypi don't evem think aboit amd carry your load for as long as you can, and then stop for the day, and pick up the next day. And because on that route you will not find an alberge every km, you end up javing to skip a bit.

My take is that th only person you are "cheating" when having bags carried is yourself, because you will always be curious about... What if.

I think it depends why you are having your bags carried: because you cannot, or because you think you cannot. Every step of the Camino I think I cannot, my feet hurt. Turns out I jave flat feet. So it's just a "I wish this was not so uncomfortable". Bit pain is fine, just not fun. And then there is plantar fasciitis, which I developped on Camino 4. That is a "cannot" as it's not jist discomfot, but an injury. And wouldn't you know it, no bag tavel on that route, so ypi don't evem think aboit amd carry your load for as long as you can, and then stop for the day, and pick up the next day. And because on that route you will not find an alberge every km, you end up javing to skip a bit.

My take is that th only person you are "cheating" when having bags carried is yourself, because you will always be curious about... What if.

Did the old pilgrims have big bags to carry or did they get a ride on a horse and buggy?
Did they stay in an albergue or were given a good meal in a private home?
The only person that matters on the camino is oneself , and if you feel comfortable with or desire to have your bags carried so be it.
It will be no less a camino than the bloke beside you with an Ospray 60l on this back.

We started in Le Puy a few years ago , stopped in Saint- Jean le Vieux which is 5 km short of STJPdP
They got us Jacotrans and we ended up in Burgette 5 km past Ronscavalles in a beautiful hotel.
We ""carried"" the next day and every day to the coast [ Muxia ] and to this day i don't know why.....i bit silly i think.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Did the old pilgrims have big bags to carry or did they get a ride on a horse and buggy?
The only person that matters on the camino is oneself , and if you feel comfortable with or desire to have your bags carried so be it.
It will be no less a camino than the bloke beside you with an Ospray 60l on this back.

We started in Le Puy a few years ago , stopped in Saint- Jean le Vieux which is 5 km short of STJPdP
They got us Jacotrans and we ended up in Burgette 5 km past Ronscavalles in a beautiful hotel.
We ""carried"" the next day and every day to the coast [ Muxia ] and to this day i don't know why.....i bit silly i think.
I really don't care how it was done in the old days, although my guess is that unless you were rich it was little fun. I even think that leaving your palace to be on the road in those conditions and sleeping in the hostals that were available must have been quite the sacrifice.

I do believe that if you are wonderingabout the right and wrong of having your things schlept, you may feel better about yourself carrying. Or esle why even wonder and ask!

Ah, its the freedom Thornley. Its like being a snail with your home on your back. I've had my pack carried a few times but I always miss it.
I really don't care how it was done in the old days, although my guess is that unless you were rich it was little fun. I even think that leaving your palace to be on the road in those conditions and sleeping in the hostals that were available must have been quite the sacrifice.

I do believe that if you are wonderingabout the right and wrong of having your things schlept, you may feel better about yourself carrying. Or esle why even wonder and ask!

We do carry 99.9% but what a feeling when its not there.
When we repeat a camino and know where we are going thats when we relax, get Jacotrans or Claudine and walk an EXTRA 10km usually to a palace Anemone.

Kanga, picture this;
Stayed in "Le Soulie" just before Espeyrac and Senergues on the GR65.
Michel informed all who stayed that night and helped him stuff up the cooking that he would be attending mass in Conques the next morning.
We all smiled . stayed up a fraction later than normal and in the morning his BOOT was open.
Every pack went in and a group of 6 people had a wonderful slow 17km walk into town.
Just laughing and talking without the backpack and the constant rain we had endured the previous week.
We all attended Mass and i think the Big Bloke insitu didn't mind us cheating on this occasion.

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I have never had my pack transported or taken transportation on the route.
Folks with injuries or limitation must do this. There is no question or argument to be made there.
Having said that....
I have no problem with those who now do this without a compelling reason ( above).

I am dismayed, however, at the seeming avalanche of posts here and on Facebook promoting and encouraging new people,without a need, to use pack services. I really don't understand the need to convince others to join this new fad. On Facebook it is now often called "luggage" as in holiday travel.

It is really difficult for me to understand why someone who is able would decide to not carry his/her pack before they ever leave home. Why not go intending to give it a go and see what happens? You can always decide to go the other way if you find you cannot carry your pack.
You may be very surprised at what you can accomplish.
The pride and personal satisfaction would be great for most people.

Just my personal opinion based on seeing the huge change in the conversation over the past few years.
Not trying to start an argument from those who seem to defend the transport service every time it comes up.

Those of us who don't like the change are entitled to an opinion also.
Please...no posts with the "MY" , "YOUR" Camino in all caps. We have all seen that a thousand times here.

I am dismayed, however, at the seeming avalanche of posts here and on Facebook promoting and encouraging new people,without a need, to use pack services. I really don't understand the need to convince others to join this new fad. On Facebook it is now often called "luggage" as in holiday travel.

It is called marketing and business, backpack/luggage transport services want/need to make money - as easy as that. If the market is saturated, they will try to create new needs. Like you I believe that this kind of services are invaluable to those that couldn't do their pilgrimage otherwise, like you I am sad for those that got convinced that going the easy way is the thing to do and are missing out on a huge sense of achievement and freedom when carrying their own packs and being free where to stay instead at the spirit of the moment.

Buen Camino, SY

I have never had my pack transported or taken transportation on the route.
Folks with injuries or limitation must do this. There is no question or argument to be made there.
Having said that....
I have no problem with those who now do this without a compelling reason ( above).

It is really difficult for me to understand why someone who is able would decide to not carry his/her pack before they ever leave home. Why not go intending to give it a go and see what happens? You can always decide to go the other way if you find you cannot carry your pack.
You may be very surprised at what you can accomplish.
The pride and personal satisfaction would be great for most people.

Just my personal opinion based on seeing the huge change in the conversation over the past few years.
Not trying to start an argument from those who seem to defend the transport service every time it comes up.

Those of us who don't like the change are entitled to an opinion also.
Please...no posts with the "MY" , "YOUR" Camino in all caps. We have all seen that a thousand times here.

Grayland, of course, you and SYates have hit it spot on, for me at least. (I would use all caps, except I know how you hate them!). I had never been able to put a finger on what it was about the baggage transport crowds that didn't sit quite right with me, because like you guys, I've walked with people who got injured and then needed transportation, etc. And I also very consciously try to avoid the "real pilgrim" debate. But thinking about what you said, it occurred to me that this phenomenon, the path of least resistance, is a powerful force in all parts of our life, pushing us to become less and less active. Why walk up the stairs if you can take the elevator? Why walk to the post office if you can hop in a car? This is just the same thing in a new situation-- why carry a backpack if for just a few euros a day, someone else can carry it for me? But it is a bit surprising to me that so many of the people who throw themselves enthusiastically into the biggest physical challenge they have ever undertaken then just as quickly turn to something like luggage transport.

So, I will voice an opinion, too, but I am not calling anyone out or condemning anyone who disagrees with me. Until you've done it, you have no idea how freeing it is to carry one set of clothes and everything else you will need for a month or more, on your own, with you at all times. Sure, jacotrans can carry a suitcase for you, and I have seen the size of some of the bags it does transport. But you're missing a great opportunity if you just automatically decide to give your bag over to someone else to carry. You won't see how simple and joyous life can be without all the extras, how free you feel knowing you can walk till you want to stop, and how you don't need to follow any set procedure, you just need to throw your pack on your back and start walking! Buen camino, Laurie

p.s. And for anyone with back problems out there who thinks bag transportation is the only option, it may be but then again it may not be. I have had many bouts of lower back pain over the years, but never while walking with a properly fitted pack. A good pack will put the weight on your hips not on your back and in fact, it's those unstructured small day packs that wind up giving me back pain after about an hour or so.

A good pack will put the weight on your hips not on your back and in fact, it's those unstructured small day packs that wind up giving me back pain after about an hour or so.

@peregrina2000 this is so true. And especially if you have had a good pack properly fitted, and have trained using it with gradually increasing weights, I would definitely recommend using it even if you are unable to carry everything. When my mother and I walked this year, we trained in our good Osprey packs for many months, so that they were like a part of our bodies. Then although we had been slowly increasing pack weights we realised, not long before our camino started, that neither of us would be physically able to carry everything we needed. I was recovering from major abdominal surgery (the reason we were walking then and not six months earlier as originally planned) and was still rebuilding core strength and stamina; she was getting over a spinal fracture. So we put what we could carry into our packs - what we needed for the day, rain gear, food and water, first aid stuff, anything that would create problems if it went astray (phone charger!), and put heavier items into a separate small bag which we got transported (we kept this to a minimum and still had a cull once we arrived!). This way we were walking with some weight, using the properly-fitted packs we had trained with, and not some small mini-pack with all the weight on the shoulders. We were more comfortable this way, we felt like we were doing what we could as far as carrying at least some of our stuff, and the other stuff which we couldn't carry and really needed was sent ahead of us. Pacer Poles also helped a lot!

@GettingThere, you have described a perfect example of walking a Camino within your abililities. I am absolutely sure you are proud of your achievement.
I am humbled at your efforts. Even though I am one of the older members on the forum (not the oldest, but close) I am blessed with good health and the ability to walk fairly easily.
Always very tired and sore.. But doable

I greatly admire those who must put forth great effort.

€60,-

It was pretty similar for the old pilgrims, they had their own transport services, same differences between rich and poor, cheap albergues (called "hospitals" back then) and expensive ones, hotels (called inns), blisters and pains and sprains, and a very similar mixed crowd walking for all kinds of different reasons and using all kinds of different Ways and means.

Instead of stamps as proof of passage you'd buy tokens to pin to your cape or cap, instead of walking alone, you'd find a large or small "camino family" to walk with for mutual protection and support, some things were tougher, others easier, but there's really no great big fundamental difference between the Camino then and the Camino now, and whilst trying to do it "the traditional way" is rewarding, it's not for everyone ; to each his own Way, and none is more "authentic" than any other.

Could anyone suggest a reliable courier service as I am walking part of the camino de norte with my son, and although I had good intentions of carrying my back pack I have hurt my back and have a bad hip. I know that this may be considered cheating the pilgrimage but I am doing the part from Bilbao to Santander with my son to have some quality time together since my husband (his dad) passed away in December. I enjoy hiking but do not relish the heavy load on my back..
For this reason I have already booked hostels in advance so this part of the camino is planned.
So any suggestions of which company I can use will be most welcome.

Could anyone suggest a reliable courier service as I am walking part of the camino de norte with my son, and although I had good intentions of carrying my back pack I have hurt my back and have a bad hip. I know that this may be considered cheating the pilgrimage but I am doing the part from Bilbao to Santander with my son to have some quality time together since my husband (his dad) passed away in December. I enjoy hiking but do not relish the heavy load on my back..
For this reason I have already booked hostels in advance so this part of the camino is planned.
So any suggestions of which company I can use will be most welcome.

@Suzumba
There are now many (too many) transport services including Correos (Spanish Post Office) operating on the Norte. You will find advertisements in the first albergue or pension you stay in or the hospitalero will be able to hook you up.
The advertisements seem to be posted on every tree and wall at times.
No worries about "cheating". Your injury is the exact reason why they existed originally.
The new fad of people leaving home with no intention of carrying a pack...or even taking a suitcase instead is what was discussed above.
The continued encouragement of others to do this is the confusing part to many of us. The only people that may be cheated is the persons themselves.
It is a rather new phenomenon that so many people go to so much trouble to get others to do this.
It is just an opinion held by some of the members here by many of the Pilgrims on the Camino.

You will greatly enjoy your walk from Bilbao. It is a wonderful little city with many interesting places.
Enjoy your time with your son. I walked the Primitivo with two of my grandsons (14 & 18) last year. They really enjoyed Bilbao.

Buen Camino

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
@Suzumba
There are now many (too many) transport services including Correos (Spanish Post Office) operating on the Norte. You will find advertisements in the first albergue or pension you stay in or the hospitalero will be able to hook you up.
The advertisements seem to be posted on every tree and wall at times.
No worries about "cheating". Your injury is the exact reason why they existed originally.
The new fad of people leaving home with no intention of carrying a pack...or even taking a suitcase instead is what was discussed above.
The continued encouragement of others to do this is the confusing part to many of us. The only people that may be cheated is the persons themselves.
It is a rather new phenomenon that so many people go to so much trouble to get others to do this.
It is just an opinion held by some of the members her and by many of the Pilgrims on the Camino.

You will greatly enjoy your walk from Bilbao. It is a wonderful little city with many interesting places.
Enjoy your time with your son. I walked the Primitivo with two of my grandsons (14 & 18) last year. They really enjoyed Bilbao.

Buen Camino

I am so pleased I used Mikel for my courier from Bilbao to Santander. Although it cost €20 a day for both my sons and my backpacks it was worth every euro as it was so hot there was no way I could have made some of the stages.
I thoroughly enjoyed my experience and I'm in the process of sorting out doing the Irun to Bilbao part in April and Santander to Gijon in September.
Doing the camino in parts is the only way we'd be able to do it. I have great respect for the pilgrims who do the whole camino in one and carry their backpacks. I will certainly be using a courier service again.

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
This is the latest fad for Camino stay out of the wind and woods 🤗.
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
Yes, pardon me. So I've just read this cool article about the closing of the Puerta del Perdón in the Monastery of Santo Toribio for the holy year (and it is a very beautiful peurta for sure). It...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back