• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Carry water bottles on front of pack: How-To.

JAL

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances 2014
Le Puy-St. Jean 2015
Via Francigena 2016
Norte/Primitivo 2016
Via de la Plata 2017
Last year, I made a simple system for carrying my water bottles on my packstraps. I didn't want to carry a bladder and this lets me drink without taking my pack off. To drink, snap the bottom cord off, drink, replace. Leave the top cord in place to drink.

This system is made of a few feet of "bungee cord" or "shock cord". You'll have to find a suitable loop or something on the packstraps to attach the cords to. You can use the quick release devices shown or just simple knots.

Advantages:
1. You don't need to bring bottles on the plane.
2. Drink without stopping.
3. Distributes some weight toward the front.
4. Saves space in your pack.
5. Works with any size bottle. 500 ml worked great.
Bottles.jpg

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I carried mine separately in a carrier with a strap, that takes a one and a half litre plastic bottle. I could carry it in various different ways, on my hip, round my neck, in my hands or if I got tired of those ways I could put it in the side pocket of my pack. It was normally only about half full as there were often water fountains and cafes etc. to refill it along the Camino Frances plus it was not that hot generally in April and May.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I have used four inox (Stainless steel) clips from Nite-Ize for the past three years. Have a look here: http://www.niteize.com/product/Drink-N-Clip.asp I added rubber bands or a silicone "o" ring from the DIY plumbing aisle to hold the clip on slightly larger diameter European .5 liter bottles very well.

However, the home made suggestion posted by JAL above will work as well, at lower cost. Each of my clips cost USD 3.99.

The only difference is that my bottles, on the clips, can be managed with one hand. I rather suspect you would need two hands to affix or remove the cord mounted bottles. BUT, it is still a brilliant idea.

Thank you for contributing it here.

Thank you all for some great ideas. I almost dislocate my shoulder every time I attempt to reach for my water bottle and once it is out I need someone to return it to my pack for me! Time to try out some new options.

Jal,
That's a good example of Camino planning!

Here's a link to a water bottle carrier people might want to consider also. It fits onto hip strap of your pack.
https://www.lifeventure.co.uk/product/bags-and-luggage/mesh-bottle-pouch#details-section
Buen(well-hydrated)Camino

I too prefer to carry my water in the front. I carried a similar velcro-strapped bag to this, suspended from my pack's waist belt. Bought it from MEC in Canada and it weighed about 50 grams. It held my 610 ml wide-mouth squeeze bottle great. I kept an ordinary 5oo ml bottle in my pack as backup.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
There are many different companies that offer a carabiner with a rubber gasket type holder to fit any bottle for about $5 online. I clip mine to my right shoulder strap and drink without breaking stride -- and without drinking from some nasty bladder.

I carried a full liter bottle of water strapped to my pack from SJPDP to Santiago without ever opening it. I wore a vest that used to be called a "Fishing Vest" but which are now advertised as a "Concealed Carry" vest in the US. Carried a 500 mil coke bottle full of water in the right hand lower vest pocket and rarely ever emptied it on any day's walk.

Never saw another person wearing a similar vest, but all of those pockets came in handy for carrying food, candy, camera, etc. And cargo pockets on pants have a purpose and that purpose is NOT to carrying things while walking.

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.