• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Carrying a DSLR camera on Camino

Phoenix

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
The Caminos are a feast for anyone who loves photography. I've relied on my phone camera while on previous Caminos, but want to focus more on photography while on the next one (Sept/Oct '18, CF). I will be carrying a DSLR, and want a stable attachment device for a backpack that also offers quick/easy access to the camera while on the trail. I have found it and thought I'd share the info for like-minded pilgrims. It's a little pricey, but after using it on several hikes I can say it does the job very well. Check it out:

Peak Design Capture v3

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
The Caminos are a feast for anyone who loves photography. I've relied on my phone camera while on previous Caminos, but want to focus more on photography while on the next one (Sept/Oct '18, CdN>CP>CF). I will be carrying a DSLR, and want a stable attachment device for a backpack that also offers quick/easy access to the camera while on the trail. I have found it, and thought I'd share the info for like-minded pilgrims. It's a little pricey, but after using it several hikes I can say it does the job very well. Check it out:

Peak Design Capture v3
Thanks for sharing. Believe it or not I use a Gopro bag for my Cannon 60D when I am on the go or hiking . Lighter than a regular camera bag and I can clip it to my pack. Fits up to 2 lenses with pockets for extra battery and sd cards. Just purchased a 18-55mm lens hope this will do the trick, leaving the heavy 18-135mm home. Of course it can be a pain to take out and put in but it’s cheap and protects the camera if I trip and fall .

Last edited:
So tempted always to pack my full size Canon DSLR but have not due to weight considerations. I did recently buy a Canon Powershot G9X Mark 2. It has a larger 1" sensor which is bigger than a typical compact or smartphone. It can also shoot in RAW format.
It has in camera HDR and a lot of features for a camera the size of a credit card. Have not used it on a Camino yet, but will this fall when my wife and I walk the Primitivo.
With my previous Canon compact, I had a small Case Logic pouch clipped with a carabiner to the front vertical strap of my back pack which makes the camera super accessible. My new Camera also fits this pouch well.
IMG_2127.JPGIMG_2128.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
So tempted always to pack my full size Canon DLSR but have not due to weight considerations. I did recently buy a Canon Powershot G9X Mark 2. It has a larger 1" sensor which is bigger than than a typical compact or smartphone. It can also shoot in RAW format.
It has in camera HDR and a lot of features for a camera the size of a credit card. Have not used it on a Camino yet, but will this fall when my wife and I walk the Primitivo.
Your camera looks like it will provide a lot of bang for the $/weight. I'll be carrying a Canon Rebel T7i with the 18-55mm kit lens (while walking), which, combined, weigh appx 17 oz--considerably less than a full-frame DSLR and about the same as a half liter water bottle. I don't notice the weight but did need to become accustomed to it being within my peripheral vision (while clipped to the backpack strap).

Your camera looks like it will provide a lot of bang for the $/weight. I'll be carrying a Canon Rebel T7i with the 18-55mm kit lens (while walking), which, combined, weigh appx 17 oz--considerably less than a full-frame DSLR and about the same as a half liter water bottle. I don't notice the weight but did need to become accustomed to it being within my peripheral vision (while clipped to the backpack strap).

Not sure if you use trekking poles, but on one of mine I have embedded a threaded stud in the top (standard thread for tripods) makes a decent monopod. I love early morning low light photography and the lack of a tripod often makes this a frustrating exercise.
I have an older T2i, but no longer have the 18 to 55mm, having sold it and bought a 15 to 85mm, which is a heavy beast compared to the kit lens.
My new G9X takes pictures I can't readily tell the difference from my T2i, then again my T2i is getting on the old side now.

I normally use trekking poles but am currently training on hills w/o them so my hands will be free to access the camera. I have no doubt that I will use them at some point on the Camino (most likely on descents), so I will be carrying them with me. I love the idea of using a trekking pole as a monopod; thanks for that bit of info. Do you have a photo of the setup?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I normally use trekking poles but am currently training on hills w/o them so my hands will be free to access the camera. I have no doubt that I will use them at some point on the Camino (most likely on descents), so I will be carrying them with me. I love the idea of using a trekking pole as a monopod; thanks for that bit of info. Do you have a photo of the setup?

Not my actual pole (too lazy to get my poles from the garage and photograph!), but essentially the same idea. I just have a raw stud ( 1/4" x 20 is the standard thread for all cameras) threaded into the top of my pole. Not in the way at all for using the pole at all.

5891128634_6675158066.jpg

I bought a compact camera specifically for my first camino last year because I didn't want to carry my DSLR. I got the Panasonic TZ100, which is (or was, when I bought it) the only compact camera with both a 1-inch sensor and a 10x+ optical zoom. I was really happy with the choice.

Here's an album of my favourite 100 photos that I took with it on the Camino Francés.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Not my actual pole (too lazy to get my poles from the garage and photograph!), but essentially the same idea. I just have a raw stud ( 1/4" x 20 is the standard thread for all cameras) threaded into the top of my pole. Not in the way at all for using the pole at all.

View attachment 39479
Thanks for the info. A visual really helps.

I tied my D800 camera into my backpack straps using a freebie ThinkTank Photo camera strap and a couple carabiners. This evenly distributed the weight, such that I didn’t notice it. Since I already owned these items, this was a super cheap solution. I could easily lift the camera up for shooting in either orientation. The camera strap had rings, which is what made it perfect for attaching to carabiners.

CFBED7B0-EDE2-4232-AF8B-B3389D94DD7B.jpeg

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I have the original version of the Capture and can say that it is easily the best thing you can buy for hauling an SLR on a trail. It is rock solid, releases the camera easily, and stops it from bouncing around which is the biggest complaint with a regular strap. On top of that it takes the weight off of your neck and adds it to your pack where it is better distributed. AND it frees your hands.

So tempted always to pack my full size Canon DSLR but have not due to weight considerations. I did recently buy a Canon Powershot G9X Mark 2. It has a larger 1" sensor which is bigger than a typical compact or smartphone. It can also shoot in RAW format.
With my previous Canon compact, I had a small Case Logic pouch clipped with a carabiner to the front vertical strap of my back pack which makes the camera super accessible. My new Camera also fits this pouch well.
View attachment 39475View attachment 39477
I'm bringing my g7x mark 1. Does it all with no fuss...great vid, pics, audio, selfie screen and no time spent changing lenses. Just need a mini wind muff to cover mic with.

I bought a compact camera specifically for my first camino last year because I didn't want to carry my DSLR. I got the Panasonic TZ100, which is (or was, when I bought it) the only compact camera with both a 1-inch sensor and a 10x+ optical zoom. I was really happy with the choice.

Here's an album of my favourite 100 photos that I took with it on the Camino Francés.
Great shots! Technology has advanced so much that I just can't justify carrying a DSLR when my Canon G7X point and shoot can do practically the same without the hassle. Thanks for sharing your pics!

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
View attachment 39475View attachment 39477
I note that my newest iphone now captures RAW format.

I have the original version of the Capture and can say that it is easily the best thing you can buy for hauling an SLR on a trail. It is rock solid, releases the camera easily, and stops it from bouncing around which is the biggest complaint with a regular strap. On top of that it takes the weight off of your neck and adds it to your pack where it is better distributed. AND it frees your hands.
In addition to the benefits you describe, I've found is that it keeps the camera from touching my body/keeps sweat off of it.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I have had a lot of luck using a Sony A6000. It fits in my jacket pocket and is very easy to access.

It seems curious to me that you feel the need to be able to use your camera so quickly and would sacrifice the use of trekking poles for most of the time. When I saw something that I wanted to photograph, I could set my poles down and have my camera out of my pocket in less than 10 seconds. During the day, I kept my ISO at 200 and normally shot in the middle of the lens using aperture priority. I could open up for Bokeh or have everything in focus for most of the landscape shots. At night, I used the timer on my camera and took long shots with my camera sitting on a rock or ledge etc.. No tripod was ever necessary.

It is my humble view that what is in front and behind the camera is more important than the camera itself. It makes me smile when someone says, "what a great picture, what kind of camera do you use?" I doubt that anyone who enjoys a good meal in a restaurant ever asks the chef what the brand of his stove might be.

Buen Camino

It seems curious to me that you feel the need to be able to use your camera so quickly and would sacrifice the use of trekking poles for most of the time.
Ah, I understand your curiosity. I do have an ulterior motive; long story short, I spent 8 yrs of my life depending on a cane and leg brace. Although I haven't needed either for the past 7 yrs, I have felt somewhat dependent on the trekking poles on previous Caminos and mountain trekking.

I guess there is a part of me that wants to be totally free of a walking aid and able to use my hands to capture what my eyes see w/o thinking about what to do with the stick(s) in my hand(s).

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I have had a lot of luck using a Sony A6000. It fits in my jacket pocket and is very easy to access.

It seems curious to me that you feel the need to be able to use your camera so quickly and would sacrifice the use of trekking poles for most of the time. When I saw something that I wanted to photograph, I could set my poles down and have my camera out of my pocket in less than 10 seconds. During the day, I kept my ISO at 200 and normally shot in the middle of the lens using aperture priority. I could open up for Bokeh or have everything in focus for most of the landscape shots. At night, I used the timer on my camera and took long shots with my camera sitting on a rock or ledge etc.. No tripod was ever necessary.

It is my humble view that what is in front and behind the camera is more important than the camera itself. It makes me smile when someone says, "what a great picture, what kind of camera do you use?" I doubt that anyone who enjoys a good meal in a restaurant ever asks the chef what the brand of his stove might be.

Buen Camino
I only use the trekking pole mount for very early morning, pre-dawn low light shots. If I can find a ledge or some natural way of bracing the camera I will use that.

I find it hard to be steady enough on 3 to 5 second exposures without some sort of a mount, but maybe I am getting old and shakey!

I certainly do not use the trekking pole for anything other shots during the day only the pre-dawn, very low light shots where no other brace or ledge is apparent.

I agree with the camera brand not being important and the skill of the user is paramount, but my G9X replaced a Canon 590 IS from 2005 and digital technology has moved on a little in the last 13 years, so in my case it is a huge step forward in Camera capabilities.

I use a peak design clip too and it was fantastic, allowed me to take many more photos than if I had to constantly stop, take out a camera and put it back each time. I also use trekking poles full time and found if I just let the poles dangle from their straps I could easily take 95% of my shots that way. Low angle shots, tripod shots, etc I had to put my poles down but that’s ok for the 5%. Only issue with peak design clip was during rain/snow. Wish I had thought though that one in advance and made a cover for it so it didn’t have to go in my pack. That will be remedied on my next trip! Good luck!

I'm a professional photographer and just finished the CF last week. I really was on the fence about taking my DSLR I mostly shoot with a 1DX but wanted to take my 5dmk4 with 16-35L before I left. An hour after leaving St Jean I am glad I did not take it. I used my iPhone 7 and took some really great shots along the way. I think my camera would have probably distracted me plus I really did not need the extra weight.
I always remember the saying about photography.

Amateurs worry about equipment.
Professionals worry about money.
Masters worry about light.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I carried a Panasonic G6 (4/3rds) and an extra telephoto zoom. No problem.

I also carried a tripod, which I never used. Next time ....

I've been raving on the capture clip for years. I love it. Also look into the "shell" by peak designs. Its a great companion piece to the clip that offers some weather protection too.

https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/camera-protection.44216/#post-474176
I've been thinking about whether or not to get some kind of weather protection (vs just putting the camera in my pack). Thanks for the recommendation re: the PD shell; I will seriously consider getting it.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I'm a professional photographer and just finished the CF last week. I really was on the fence about taking my DSLR I mostly shoot with a 1DX but wanted to take my 5dmk4 with 16-35L before I left. An hour after leaving St Jean I am glad I did not take it. I used my iPhone 7 and took some really great shots along the way. I think my camera would have probably distracted me plus I really did not need the extra weight.
I always remember the saying about photography.

Amateurs worry about equipment.
Professionals worry about money.
Masters worry about light.
Where did you carry your iPhone as you were walking?

I kept my phone in a qt size ziplock bag in my pocket to protect against sweat and weather. It was kind of a pain in the rear, but it worked.

The Caminos are a feast for anyone who loves photography. I've relied on my phone camera while on previous Caminos, but want to focus more on photography while on the next one (Sept/Oct '18, CF). I will be carrying a DSLR, and want a stable attachment device for a backpack that also offers quick/easy access to the camera while on the trail. I have found it and thought I'd share the info for like-minded pilgrims. It's a little pricey, but after using it on several hikes I can say it does the job very well. Check it out:

Peak Design Capture v3
Starting Sept 9th 2018 I am going to carry this from SJPDP to Santiago. Nikon D500 and a couple lenses, few accessories. Easy access to body and lenses, waterproof covers (when needed) and plenty of room for items required for the day (jacket, food, water, hat, extra socks, etc.

https://www.thinktankphoto.com/collections/rotation180-series/products/rotation180-deluxe-38l

Starting Sept 9th 2018 I am going to carry this from SJPDP to Santiago. Nikon D500 and a couple lenses, few accessories. Easy access to body and lenses, waterproof covers (when needed) and plenty of room for items required for the day (jacket, food, water, hat, extra socks, etc.

https://www.thinktankphoto.com/collections/rotation180-series/products/rotation180-deluxe-38l
Have you trained with this pack fully loaded and at longer distances? At 5.3 lbs (2.5 kg), the pack is extremely heavy. I don’t know which lenses you plan to bring, but if any of them are a zoom, you are likely approaching 10 lbs between all your camera gear and your pack. It’s easy to offload excess clothing on the Camino, but not so much with camera gear.

I've been thinking about whether or not to get some kind of weather protection (vs just putting the camera in my pack). Thanks for the recommendation re: the PD shell; I will seriously consider getting it.
I agree with @tomnorth ...that pack seems a bit heavy. I carried my Cannon 60D with only a 50mm which was light and good for a variety of shots. I kept it in a Mountain Smith waistpack (pix in the PDF also used as daypack). I used my pack cover over the waist bag as the backpack was under my rain jacket/ poncho. This insured it wouldn’t get wet. Happy I did because it rained a lot april/may on the Frances...two weeks straight then on an off for the month. Even though I had a rain/jacket/poncho I would leave it open sometimes to get ventilation. Kept my iPhones in waterproof case in the outer pocket on the waste pack closest to my body. For easy access. ...sometimes around my neck if listening to music. I used both my iPhone and camera for pictures but next camino I don’t think I will take the camera I want to concentrate more on walking and enjoying the view and is a lot to take out and put back inside...but I dont regret taking it got some amazing pictures. when not in use and in albergue I would put my entire waist pack in my backpack and lock it with a small master lock before going to the shower or to eat.

Attachments

• 7E221392-4A99-4FED-BD8A-1F4B5A3ECBDA.jpeg
    7E221392-4A99-4FED-BD8A-1F4B5A3ECBDA.jpeg
    787.2 KB · Views: 13
  • 5E8F9D1A-6DFE-4254-B79C-EAFD5FD7B609.jpeg
    5E8F9D1A-6DFE-4254-B79C-EAFD5FD7B609.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 13
  • AEF05817-6F11-4C55-A653-69571EECDC1F.jpeg
    AEF05817-6F11-4C55-A653-69571EECDC1F.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 11
  • Safari - Aug 30, 2018 at 3:56 PM.pdf
    171.8 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
For me as a professional (film & TV director) taking high quality photos is of upmost concern. On a new route I will always take my DSLR but for example this year when I was doing Camino Combo of 5 Caminos I already walked before (and of course had photos from them) with a companion I just brought my smart phone.

Just decide what are your preference and what you want to do with the photos. For moms and pops and neighbours and FB I guess a smart phone is more than enough ;)

PS (My old DSLR has only 8,5 but my smart phone primary camera has 13mp. DSLR pics are much better, believe me, and they are good enough for jumbo posters as well :) )

Have you trained with this pack fully loaded and at longer distances? At 5.3 lbs (2.5 kg), the pack is extremely heavy. I don’t know which lenses you plan to bring, but if any of them are a zoom, you are likely approaching 10 lbs between all your camera gear and your pack. It’s easy to offload excess clothing on the Camino, but not so much with camera gear.
Tom, going to have most weight transported via daily luggage transfers. Body and one lens, weather dictated clothing onboard, with just water and snacks. 10-12lbs total. As the days go by the weight may vary but my body should adapt. I hear there are donkeys for hire along the way.....

Tom, going to have most weight transported via daily luggage transfers. Body and one lens, weather dictated clothing onboard, with just water and snacks. 10-12lbs total. As the days go by the weight may vary but my body should adapt. I hear there are donkeys for hire along the way.....
That ought to be manageable then. The only donkeys available that I’m aware of are on the climb into O’Cebreiro.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Tom, I was joking, a little, about the donkey, but I am greatful for your insight. Weight is the enemy of a day long smile.

Thanks for sharing. Believe it or not I use a Gopro bag for my Cannon 60D when I am on the go or hiking . Lighter than a regular camera bag and I can clip it to my pack. Fits up to 2 lenses with pockets for extra battery and sd cards. Just purchased a 18-55mm lens hope this will do the trick, leaving the heavy 18-135mm home. Of course it can be a pain to take out and put in but it’s cheap and protects the camera if I trip and fall .

I am also considering taking my DSLR this year so pleased to see others do, despite the extra weight. Like the idea of the Gopro bag so will investigate.
Might see you on the way @Iriebabel if you are still walking the Camino Del Norte end of March. Buen Camino

I am also considering taking my DSLR this year so pleased to see others do, despite the extra weight. Like the idea of the Gopro bag so will investigate.
Might see you on the way @Iriebabel if you are still walking the Camino Del Norte end of March. Buen Camino
I didnt regret taking it. But I used a Mountainsmith lumbar pack instead of the goprobag. And I only took my 18-55mm lens which more than did the job in every situation

It was an easy trip with that pack. Carried everything I needed for the next day and with plenty of room left for items collected along the way. Guessing my pack load was at 15-18lbs and I ended the trip weighing in at 199 - down from a 212lb start. Man, did I feel good!
Honestly, there were a few downhill days that challenged my ability to support that weight, even with Lekis, but I'm 66 and fully expected to have those days.
I should mention that there was not one hot spot or blister on the trip but one knee was talking to me loudly coming into Zubiri.
All in all, carrying a DSLR and a couple "travel" lenses was just right for me. I did not take my expensive lenses for obvious reasons. I strapped the camera and slung it across my body so it was always ready. I did hear one comment from a group passing me that I was nuts to be carrying that camera weight. They were 30 years younger and not much faster than me.
Buen Camino, amigo!
Note: we did use a luggage service to handle our travel bags daily to our hotels - worked perfectly every day.

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.