• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Carrying a tent on VDLP

Hobbledehoy

Time of past OR future Camino
Via de la Plata, Camino Sanabrés, Santiago de Compostela to Finisterre. (2020)
I am setting off on VDLP beginning of March. Due to covid pandemic I have had ample time to obsess about my kit and have been shaving the weight of my pack as departure approaches. Am down to 8kg in a 36ltr pack with water. Am I daft to ditch my tent on this route? I could take a poncho/tarp instead and ditch my waterproof jacket and trousers too? Any thoughts or expertise gratefully accepted.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I am walking the VdlP at the moment. There are enough places open that a tent or similar is not strictly necessary. Provided you can afford private rooms. But lots of places are closed and that seriously limits your choice of stages. I am carrying a bivvy bag, mat and four season sleeping bag so that I can break up the stages to suit myself. I am near Caceres now and have bivvied for three nights so far. Waking to find ground frost on two mornings which rather confirmed my decision to bring the down bag :)

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I am walking the VdlP at the moment. There are enough places open that a tent or similar is not strictly necessary. Provided you can afford private rooms. But lots of places are closed and that seriously limits your choice of stages. I am carrying a bivvy bag, mat and four season sleeping bag so that I can break up the stages to suit myself. I am near Caceres now and have bivvied for three nights so far. Waking to find ground frost on two mornings which rather confirmed my decision to bring the down bag :)
I think a bivy is an excellent option instead of a tent. Lighter to carry and easier to set up.
Which one are you carrying?

I think a bivy is an excellent option instead of a tent. Lighter to carry and easier to set up.
Which one are you carrying?
A cheap hooped bivvy. Which was a mistake - too much condensation. I would have been better off bringing my much-used Alpkit Hunka XL which is far more breathable.

There are plenty of places to sleep so you don't really NEED a tent.
However, if you enjoy sleeping out there are a few long stretches where a tent might be nice.
Thank you. I think it might be nicer to to carry less weight. I guess I will have had more than enough fresh air during the day!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Brrr! Frost! I hope it will have warmed up a tad by March! Is there less accommodation because you are early in the season or because of covid? Are both municipal and private hostels affected? Also; how much food and water have you had to carry? Sorry to ask so many questions but it's great to talk to someone with such recent experience. Thank you.

Both the season and Covid. A double whammy. Some places have gone under and will not reopen. Others are waiting to see if pilgrim numbers increase to viable levels - a Catch-22 problem. True of municipal, private and religious albergues. Gerald Kelly is doing a great job of providing updates: http://www.viadelaplataguide.net/pages/updates. Check out the Gronze VdlP pages too. I'm carrying much less water than on my previous VdlP walk because the temperatures are much lower. For the long stretches between Castilblanco and Almaden early on and more recently between Villafranca and Torremejia I carried 3L of water and found that enough. I'm only carrying small amounts of food but it is very energy-dense stuff like cheese, chorizo and chocolate.

I think that I would prefer to walk the VdlP from Seville in winter, to avoid the extreme heat in warmer seasons. But winter on the VdlP in a time of pandemic might not be any better than the Levante, which I walked last fall, in terms of accommodation.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Have checked out Hunka Alpkit XL, they are very good value! Are they robust? Thanks for the link to G Gerald Kelly's updates and I will visit Gronze pages too. What size pack are you using? How is the Camino going for you? Again, apologies for all the questions!

When you have to carry a tent, that means also a lot of extra weight. I will start at the end of April around Merida, I hope I can sleep always somewhere in a building. I will only take a sleeping bag and a liner.

Have checked out Hunka Alpkit XL, they are very good value! Are they robust? Thanks for the link to G Gerald Kelly's updates and I will visit Gronze pages too. What size pack are you using? How is the Camino going for you? Again, apologies for all the questions!
The Hunka is well made in good materials but it is not as robust as a military issue bivvy bag. It is lighter and packs much smaller. I am carrying a 60l Vango pack - needed because of the bulk of my winter sleeping bag. Altogether a larger load than some would be happy carrying especially with 3 litres of water for the long empty stages where I might contemplate an overnight bivvy. But well within the range I am used to carrying elsewhere. In warmer months my pack would be much smaller and lighter but I would then be carrying more water more often.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I am setting off on VDLP beginning of March. Due to covid pandemic I have had ample time to obsess about my kit and have been shaving the weight of my pack as departure approaches. Am down to 8kg in a 36ltr pack with water. Am I daft to ditch my tent on this route? I could take a poncho/tarp instead and ditch my waterproof jacket and trousers too? Any thoughts or expertise gratefully accepted.
It will rain, it always does in spring in Spain. The only unknown is how much. Some years it is a lot, i.e. there are floods. We did not carry a tent when we did the VdlP in 2015 (starting April, it rained and there was frost in May and June), we always walked between towns and always found somewhere to stay, mostly albergues. The only reason I can think of to take a tent would be to save money, so unless you are on a really tight budget I would ditch the tent , but keep the protective clothing.

The Hunka is well made in good materials but it is not as robust as a military issue bivvy bag. It is lighter and packs much smaller. I am carrying a 60l Vango pack - needed because of the bulk of my winter sleeping bag. Altogether a larger load than some would be happy carrying especially with 3 litres of water for the long empty stages where I might contemplate an overnight bivvy. But well within the range I am used to carrying elsewhere. In warmer months my pack would be much smaller and lighter but I would then be carrying more water more often.
Have ordered Hunka and will leave tent at home. Thanks for your help.
It will rain, it always does in spring in Spain. The only unknown is how much. Some years it is a lot, i.e. there are floods. We did not carry a tent when we did the VdlP in 2015 (starting April, it rained and there was frost in May and June), we always walked between towns and always found somewhere to stay, mostly albergues. The only reason I can think of to take a tent would be to save money, so unless you are on a really tight budget I would ditch the tent , but keep the protective clothing.
Thanks for that. I have decided to replace the tent with a lightweight bivvy bag, just in case. I will definitely pack my waterproofs! Did you bother with gaiters?

When you have to carry a tent, that means also a lot of extra weight. I will start at the end of April around Merida, I hope I can sleep always somewhere in a building. I will only take a sleeping bag and a liner.
Thank you for your comment. I think I am suffering with 'The everything but the kitchen sink' mentality. The tent is off the list!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
8 kg is very impressive! Consider exchanging your jacket / for a large but light raincoat which you could sleep on/in instead of a tent.

I've been planning to take just a liner, no sleeping bag, for Sevilla to Salamanca end of April and into May. Unwise?

Before Covid I also intented to take a liner and no sleeping bag. But I have read that there no blankets in the refugio, and because of that I will sure take my sleeping bag.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Before Covid I also intented to take a liner and no sleeping bag. But I have read that there no blankets in the refugio, and because of that I will sure take my sleeping bag.
So far the albergues I have stayed in on the VdlP have all had blankets. But that may not be true for all albergues. I never walk a Camino without a sleeping bag anyway.

8 kg is very impressive! Consider exchanging your jacket / for a large but light raincoat which you could sleep on/in instead of a tent.
Trying to keep it light as my back can be a bit cranky. Have gone for a light weight bivvy. I have a close friend who shares your surname, Hugenot descent?

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
So far the albergues I have stayed in on the VdlP have all had blankets. But that may not be true for all albergues. I never walk a Camino without a sleeping bag anyway.
Sleeping bag in, gaiters out!

I've walked as far as Zamora, you don't need a tent unless you really want to camp out. I brought a waterproof Pancho which was great during wet weather..

Have ordered Hunka and will leave tent at home. Thanks for your help.

Thanks for that. I have decided to replace the tent with a lightweight bivvy bag, just in case. I will definitely pack my waterproofs! Did you bother with gaiters?
No gaiters. Not even little ones.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Where have you setup when you slept in your bivvy, in town near a church or out in the country?
I am thinking of carrying a bivvy for all the same reason mentioned when I walk the VdIP from Seville later this year. Are dogs and wild life, (thinking boar) a concern?

Where have you setup when you slept in your bivvy, in town near a church or out in the country?
I am thinking of carrying a bivvy for all the same reason mentioned when I walk the VdIP from Seville later this year. Are dogs and wild life, (thinking boar) a concern?
Out in the country. So far well away from livestock and therefore probably dogs. One night in a forest area there were signs of pig rooting around trees but I think that was domestic pigs foraging for acorns. There were some deer around. The other two nights so far were in areas of arable land with no sign of anything to worry me. I have camped in areas with wild boar before and I think any risk they pose is usually overrated.

Out in the country. So far well away from livestock and therefore probably dogs. One night in a forest area there were signs of pig rooting around trees but I think that was domestic pigs foraging for acorns. There were some deer around. The other two nights so far were in areas of arable land with no sign of anything to worry me. I have camped in areas with wild boar before and I think any risk they pose is usually overrated.
Great stuff, thanks for the information, I wondered about the boar, on the Primitivo in 2019 I saw a lot of rooting around as well.
Safe travels

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I've walked as far as Zamora, you don't need a tent unless you really want to camp out. I brought a waterproof Pancho which was great during wet weather..
Thanks Patrick. I looked into the poncho thing but thought it might not be so great in windy weather?

Wild boar hate to be surprised; especially when they have piglets. They are happy to slink away long before you get anywhere near and stay well away from you. Was once harassed by a group of donkeys determined to eat my tent in Ireland. Domesticated animals often more troublesome than wild.

Wild boar hate to be surprised; especially when they have piglets. They are happy to slink away long before you get anywhere near and stay well away from you.
Way back in another century. British Army exercise in a forest in Poland. A family of wild boar wandered through the camp in the middle of the night and scared the sentries who started an uproar. Luckily there was only blank ammunition issued! First thing in the morning a few soldiers cut long sticks and started sharpening them as spears. "In case the boars come back". I asked one of the men if he was 100% sure he could kill a boar with a single blow. He looked a bit puzzled. So I pointed out that if he poked a boar with a sharp stick and didn't kill it outright he would suddenly be faced with 200 pounds of very scared and angry pork armed with big sharp teeth.

Was once harassed by a group of donkeys determined to eat my tent in Ireland. Domesticated animals often more troublesome than wild.
I bivvied last night at the side of the old Roman road. I had walked later than I intended to make sure I wasn't in one of the huge dehesa cattle enclosures. I didn't like the idea of being woken during the night by a hoof or a horn. Or even a pat on the head...

When I walked the Norte in 2019 a young couple told me that they had a tent in case there were no beds available. I told them that I had brought a credit card. 😂

When I walked the Norte in 2019 a young couple told me that they had a tent in case there were no beds available. I told them that I had brought a credit card. 😂

Not everyone can afford a taxi to the next hotel if the albergues are completo...

I would have found that comment quite condescending, to be honest.

If you're on a low budget (and many younger pilgrims are) a tent can give you peace of mind that you won't have to sleep in the streets if albergues are full. That alone can be worth the extra weight for some.

(And one light weight two-person tent split between two really doesn't add a lot of weight to each backpack)

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
My comment wasn't meant to be condescending. By this time I knew the young couple well enough for us all to have a laugh. I just meant that we all use different strategies to deal with unforseen contingencies.
For example, when cheap albergue beds are in short supply, I would rather spend more to stay in a pensión and leave the albergue beds to those on a tighter budget.

@trecile

I assumed it wasn't meant to be condescending, but it sounds like it out of context, at least in my non native speaker ears. Maybe a language barrier thing.

Thank you for adding the needed context, this way the comment can not be misunderstood anymore.

This is also how I intend to operate next time I can get to VDLP :) I will replace bivvy bag with tarp however and if I can afford it, a RAB DOWN MAT. At my age ya gotta pamper the bones!

Buen Camino

Samarkand.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Some late-to-the-thread-again comments:
Bradypus - sounds like a great bivy set-up for walking in the cold and dry season you picked. Nice one!
Hobbledehoy - as dick bird says, you should expect rain. Although Spain currently experiencing a drought, it's highly likely to end in the Spring. Many stories in past years of folk having to improvise because of flooding.
If you are liking the idea of bivying: lots of cheap Tyvek bivy bags (or just a sheet) around. Wash before use to reduce the crackle ;-) . And/or no harm in taking a few grams of polycro as well. If you have time to order, money to spend and, are taking a walking pole, consider Bearpaw's Lair. Mine with 'beak' and all pegs is under 300g. It's a truly excellent item.
IMO, if you are the weight conscious type (aiming for an 8kg pack), I'd ditch the whole bivying out idea: just go with the state of mind that nearly all of your fellow pilgrims will have - that you have to work with the accommodation that is available, and adapt accordingly. March was always a popular starting month for the VDLP, so you should find many more options than Bradypus is finding now.
Cheers, tom
PS When I did VDLP my pack was 2.8kg. That's before I put anything into it. After about 200km I finally posted home a bivy bag, a gas cooker and a boxed chromatic harmonica - don't ask.

Most read last week in this forum

Hello, First time posting but as Google hasn't been helpful I was hoping others here might be able to help with an odd query. I am considering the Via de la Plata from Seville via Sanabres as my...
I am posting daily blog style updates on Facebook that anyone can see and follow: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.8095032397178476&type=3 There are also video format stories visible on...
Hey folks. I started the Mozarabe from Almeria and took time out in Salamanca to do a 3 week Spanish course in USAL. The course was fine. 4 hours a day. For the first week we had an excellent...
Y’all, one week from today I get on the plane to fly to Sevilla. Growing anxiety. I will start El Camino on April 6. I hope to report progress here and continue to look for advice. How does...
Does anybody have any good ideas about secure carparking whilst doing the Vía de la Plata from Sevilla to Merida please?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back