• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Carrying a tent through airport control

Pilgrim_95

Young Pilgrim
Time of past OR future Camino
Portugues - 2015
Norte - 2016, 2020
Frances - 2018
Hello guys, me and my girlfriend we are planning to walk the Camino Portugues in early July and due to all the restrictions and potentially less open albergues, we are planning to carry a tent. Do you have any experience carrying a tent in hand luggage? Is it possible? I have read some discussions online and checked some guidelines, yet most of the information is not really clear.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hello guys, me and my girlfriend we are planning to walk the Camino Portugues in early July and due to all the restrictions and potentially less open albergues, we are planning to carry a tent. Do you have any experience carrying a tent in hand luggage? Is it possible? I have read some discussions online and checked some guidelines, yet most of the information is not really clear.

Have a look at the many ‘can I take my walking poles as hand luggage’ threads. I suspect that tent poles and associated hardware would be regarded similarly and my (highly contested) opinion would be ‘don’t even think about it’.

Someone will be along shortly to describe how they never board a plane without their tent, including poles and pegs. Just start counting slowly backwards from ten ...

Agree with @henrythedog like carrying poles in hand luggage the answer is maybe - some airports/some days no problem other airports/days no way. Prob depends a bit on your tent and how big the poles are. I doubt you'll make it through with metal tent pegs. I've only flown with my tent as checked luggage and I am fairly sure the TSA opened my case to see what it was went I flew to the US with it.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I also agree with @henrythedog . In addition to tent poles, tent pegs (if you are using) would definitely be considered a potential weapon. My suggestion bring the tent in a bag that can be sent as checked baggage and ask about it when you check in, so don't go through self check in. Talk to a human, ask questions. Is camping allowed in Portugal?? Cheers

Only ever flew with my tent as checked luggage, sorry, I don’t know. My guess is that it won’t be allowed but then I don’t even know where you’re flying from.

Hi Albert. I used to work at an airport and I can say with some certainty that poles and pegs will be a problem. Best to check the tent if you want to take it with you. It may be examined by quarantine inspectors so make sure it is clean, along with the pegs and poles.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I can't imagine having a pack small enough for carry-on, that included a tent as well as everything else. A tent also implies a sleeping mat and a sleeping bag. If you can do it, I'm impressed!

Is camping allowed in Portugal??

I don't know of any countries where camping is not allowed. Plenty of campsites in Portugal.

I can't imagine having a pack small enough for carry-on, that included a tent as well as everything else. A tent also implies a sleeping mat and a sleeping bag. If you can do it, I'm impressed!

I took a tent and sleeping bag to the Canaries and New Zealand as carry-on. Customs in N.Z questioned why I was traveling with so little and took my tent and boots away to disinfect. That was before the restrictions though.

I don't think it's worth taking the risk even if some have done it. Cheaper to pay extra for hold luggage than buy pegs and poles.

Thanks for the replies, the situation is sort solved as the UK does not want passengers to have hand luggage, so I would have to have my backpack as checked luggage anyway... We will see if that's gonna change. Prague Airport, for instance, says that tents are OK, but no pegs.

@Kanga My tent is very tiny, around 1.5kg and 30x15x10cm, I recently got a new sleeping bag and a mat which are under 500g each. So I can fit that quite easily into my 34l backpack.

As we are not planning to have fire or anything, just sleeping outside in case we can't find an opened Albergue or we just won't be comfortable with all the restriction rules within the accommodation. I assume it is illegal in Portugal/Spain, yet I have seen and talked to many pilgrims along the route who used tents regularly with no problems. It is always about the human approach... We are not some loud tourists or anything, we are just pilgrims...

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Albert,
Given you will need to "check" your baggage on your return flight, I wonder if it would be less expensive to buy a cheap tent in Portugal you could leave behind/donate?

Edit: On the other hand if you are required to check in all baggage after all, it's cheaper to take your tent anyway😂

Last edited:
OK, just so that henrythedog can stop counting backwards, I've been carrying my tent, sleeping bag and air mattress in my backpack as cabin baggage between Tasmania, UK, Spain and Portugal (over 10 trips) over the past 10 years with no problems. The packed tent weighs 1.5Kg and measures 46cms long X 12cms diameter, it's a free-standing tent and only needs 4 very small pegs but can stand up without them. Only use it when local beds not available and came in very useful when I was caught in the lockdown on the Portuguese Camino in late March this year and the albergues closed down.

OK, just so that henrythedog can stop counting backwards, I've been carrying my tent, sleeping bag and air mattress in my backpack as cabin baggage between Tasmania, UK, Spain and Portugal (over 10 trips) over the past 10 years with no problems. The packed tent weighs 1.5Kg and measures 46cms long X 12cms diameter, it's a free-standing tent and only needs 4 very small pegs but can stand up without them. Only use it when local beds not available and came in very useful when I was caught in the lockdown on the Portuguese Camino in late March this year and the albergues closed down.

Mate, am I pleased to see you! I knew someone wouldn’t let me down eventually - now I can get some sleep.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I carried a tent in 2016. My tent pegs were fine till I got to Stanstead where they were confiscated. I used a single walking pole as the only support for the tent. That posed issues but not insurmountable.

My tent was a single but could have been enough for 2, in a pinch. In Summer, a tarp and ropes may be less cumbersome.

Just a thought.

Something like the Lanshan 1 or 2 tent will be fine. It uses trekking poles. Poles, pocket knife, pegs posted ahead using the post restante system (Lista de Correos in Spain) for collection at a post office near the start of your walk.

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back