• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Carrying coins and small change

Nicolam

Time of past OR future Camino
Can anyone tell me how much small change and small notes to carry from SJPP? Just thinking about weight but aware some places will only take cash. Thanks

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hello Nicolam,

I found it helpful to try and have about 5 single euro coins, with the remainder of my planned day's spend made up of 5 and 10 euro notes.

That break-down allowed me not to take too much change from shops, cafes etc. Then at my albergue I could pay without taking their change or, if a donation, enough small notes to give what I would have paid elsewhere.

I usually had a couple of twenty euro notes stashed for emergencies.

Of course, how much money you carry depends upon where you will be staying and your food and drink needs. Although it's prudent not to carry too much cash at any one time.

I planned on having 3 days' money with me all the time. So, to help you further with your answer, it may help to say that I usually had €100 for those three days. Forty of which were two twenty euro notes, the remainder smaller notes and coins.

The three days were based on distances between ATM's. On the Meseta I decided to carry 5 days budget, just in case.

Hope that helps.
Buen (light-weight pockets) Camino.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
We're doing the French Camino right now - just finished Day 4 - have had difficulty paying with 20€ bills as few places have change. We've started hording 1 and 2€ coins and 5€ bills. The coins are also handy in vending machines along the Way. Buen Camino!

We're doing the French Camino right now - just finished Day 4 - have had difficulty paying with 20€ bills as few places have change. We've started hording 1 and 2€ coins and 5€ bills. The coins are also handy in vending machines along the Way. Buen Camino!
When I had only €20 bills I paid the Albergue with it , worked always .:cool:

Wish you a wonderful time and a Buen Camino,Peter.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
...I found it helpful to try and have about 5 single euro coins,...
There are no 5€ coins but I'm sure you meant bills :)

When you withdraw money out of a atm don't withdraw more than €300 in small bils...
When you witdraw the money you can't choose the 10/20/50€ bills. You'll get what the ATM will give you so the only thing you're left with is to exchange the bigger bills in bigger towns.

Otherwise I would suggest you always carry at least 10€ in coins and other money in the smallest possible amounts of bills (5/10€). Usually even supermercados doesn't accept credit cards for amounts lower than 10€. Happened to me in Leon for example.

Anyway, Buen Camino!

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
One of the benefits of traveling with a group of friends is that you can take turns paying for each other and small change matters less.

When I walked the VdlP in 2015, we had 4, then 3, then 2. We used the Settle Up App (Free / in app purchase on Android, $1.99 on iOS), its features were great. Somebody might pay for beers, somebody for groceries, somebody for dinner, somebody for the albergue. We didn't really worry about making the updates real-time, typically during the first break of the following day we would ask if anybody had any updates. I have meant (for two years) to do a detailed write-up on this, but never got around to it.

The app is very flexible, with our group of 4, some expenses might be shared between all 4 pilgrims, some with 2, some with 3, some with a different 2, and it easily and accurately accommodated it.

As with any software or tool, it is better to understand it before you use it in the wild.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=cz.destil.settleup&hl=en
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/settle-up-group-expenses/id737534985?mt=8

If somebody was low on cash, it really did not matter because the app kept track of who owed how much. And we all had knew where each other lived. Sometimes somebody might be 80 Euros in the hole, but then when they got cash they would pay for dinner or the albergue.

I really haven't used it since, but there have been updates so I only expect that it has gotten even better.

¡Buen Camino!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Whatever you take you will end up with a disproportionate amount of 1, 2, 5, 10 and 20 cent coins.

The solution to this, when staying in a donotivo refugio, is to leave it all in the box along with your actual donotivo offering.

Lightens your load, helps the refugio!

5€ bills are always useful and very hard to come by. 1&2€ coins also because everything seemed to be rounded to some whole Euro.

Just don't take all in cash from the beginning - there are ATMs in a lot of places where you can stock up on cash ;-) Buen Camino, SY

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
We will start putting away any €5.00, €10.00 and coins over the next week before we go and bring them with us. It is handy having the same currency.

We will start putting away any €5.00, €10.00 and coins over the next week before we go and bring them with us. It is handy having the same currency.
The small bar and shop owners will love you. The look on their face when someone would buy a cafe con leche with a €50 was universal and not pleasant. The comment about requesting €280 instead of €300 was good, it forces the ATM to at least give you a few smaller bills. Buen Camino!

Additional tip: If you choose "other amount" instead of the ones pre-programmed on the screen, it will often give you a screen where you can choose the bills you want to get, f.e. instead of 1x100 Euro, 10x 10 Euro ;-) BC SY

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I always kept a 1€ coin stashed in my toiletry bag. It was for the albergues that had lockers that took a refundable 1€ coin. 1€ coin in to lock and whenever the locker was opened the coin was returned. I also had safety pin on the toiletry bag for the locker key.
PS Thumbs up for the lockers that had power points inside them. I think I only came across one but it was appreciated. :):)

Last edited:
Keep €5 notes if you plan to use Jacotrans.

Most read last week in this forum

...I am on day eight of walking the Francés at the moment. It is quite busy. A lot of talk about beds (and the need to book ahead). I don't book. Today I tried really hard not to get a bed. I...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back