• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Carrying Money

Gillers

Time of past OR future Camino
Plan to walk part of the Camino in 2016
Hi,

I am doing the Sarria to Santiago route next week and just wondering how best to carry money.

I will need to pay cash for most albergues and then food and whatever else.

Should I take out say 300 euro and carry it on me for the route, or is there likely to be an ATM in each town?

Thanks in advance

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
There are ATMs along the way, so you can make additional withdrawals. To minimize ATM fees, make fewer withdrawals, though. Don't keep your money or your cards all in the same place. Spread them around a bit on your body and/or in your pack.

Yes, there are ATMs along the Camino...but not in every stage. Ocasionally, you wil not find any for a couple of days, so, don't let your reserves go below 100e. This is the case, as I remember, after Burgos and after Astorga; other forum members may correct me.
I, too, also keep a 50 euros banknote hidden in my backpack. A tip: your laundry bag is not a good place. I say this because last time we watched (half worried, half amused) as a pilgrim tried frantically to stop the washing machine, because her reserve money and camera were being thoroughly cleaned. They survived, after all...

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Yes. Be very wary of the washing machines. My money survived but my passport didn't.

Keep your money and all of your valuable with you at all times.....period.

Unfortunately theft has become a problem with the increase in numbers of pilgrims.
There are some who are now attracted to the Camino as it is common for people to carry cash, cell phones, passports, etc.
Use ATMs.
Don't be a victim.

Hi,
I am doing the Sarria to Santiago route next week and just wondering how best to carry money.
I will need to pay cash for most albergues and then food and whatever else.
Should I take out say 300 euro and carry it on me for the route, or is there likely to be an ATM in each town?
Thanks in advance

I carry my money in a body belt, over my briefs but under my trousers! I sometimes need to turn my back on women to get it out :oops: but unless someone knocks me down and out, it is impossible for them to lift it. A small amount of ready cash for coffee etc. is carried in a small wallet in a zippered pocket along with a "dummy"credit card. If I am threatened with a knife etc. I can hand over the wallet to satisfy the thief. (Which has never happened !!) This applies even if I am in "tourist" mode. Don't make it easy for the barbarians!

Blessings
Tio Tel

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
After many years of walking, I can only say what I do: I take out 300 Euros, and when below 100, I take out 300 more. ATMs are found in most places: Do not worry. I place my alternative card and some cash in another place than my main supply. I never let my backpack out of sight if it contains valuables: I keep it on when I go into a bar and order coffee/beer. After each day's walk, I have all my valuables in my hip belt, so my backpack in the albergue contains no values. Use common sense: Bring your values with you even in the shower.

Never leave unwatched what you can't afford to lose. I sleep with any valuables within my sleeping bag beneath my feet and NEVER tell anyone where and what they are!! A few years ago in Trinidad de Arre an actor from LA who was bunked next to me asked anxiously "Where do you have your money?" As if on cue I rolled my eyes and answered "Why in the bank! And you?"

For further advice read these recent Forum threads with useful tips on camino security
and here.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Correos Spain has a pre paid mastercard you can buy in any post office. There is a fee for the plastic but I found out that my credit card fees for ATM withdrawals are higher than this correos card and the €6 price is less than the taxes I would pay to use my credit card overseas. This my not be an advantage for europeans though.

I was thinking of trying the prepaid debit card that is available at Walmart the Bluebird by American Express. I read in a travel article that it doesn't have foreign transaction fees, when using it to pay directly (not sure about ATM Fees yet, though I will ask when I make it to the store). Has anyone here used it?

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I have this Eddie Bauer crossbody bag which is very lightweight that will hold my valuables. I have added a buckle to the strap so that I can also wear it as a waist pack. I am also making two hiking dresses out of merino wool with two zippered pockets, plus a hidden pocket only accessible inside the dress for emergency cash/credit card.

For getting cash from the ATMs I use my Schwab account which refunds all ATM fees. And the credit card that I use doesn't charge foreign transaction fees.

I have this Eddie Bauer crossbody bag which is very lightweight that will hold my valuables. I have added a buckle to the strap so that I can also wear it as a waist pack. I am also making two hiking dresses out of merino wool with two zippered pockets, plus a hidden pocket only accessible inside the dress for emergency cash/credit card.

For getting cash from the ATMs I use my Schwab account which refunds all ATM fees. And the credit card that I use doesn't charge foreign transaction fees.
Which credit card does not charge foreign transaction fees?

Both Schwab Bank and Union Bank (and others) charge no fees and refund any fee charged by the ATM.

Many people on the forum over the past few years have opened Schwab Bank accounts to use on the Camino.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Both Schwab Bank and Union Bank (and others) charge no fees and refund any fee charged by the ATM.

Many people on the forum over the past few years have opened Schwab Bank accounts to use on the Camino.

Yes, I use my Schwab account as a travel account.

My Chase Sapphire Visa

Keep in mind that the various Caminos are a "Cash" economy. Credit cards are seldom accepted along the way except at the larger hotels in the larger towns.
Your very best plan will be to use a debit card and the quite numerous ATMs along the way.

Some suggestions on using ATMs:
1. Take enough out to last 3-4 days in order to minimize any ATM fees. ..but do not carry large sums of money. Don't discuss the money you are carrying with anyone.

2. It is best to have two separate cards so that you will still have access if a machine eats your card. I use two different banks/CU debit cards.

3. Do not use the ATM when the bank is not open such as the weekends. You will not be able to go inside to sort out a problem if the machine eats your card.

4. Notify the card issuer of your travel before you go. The card will be shut down on first use in a foreign country if you do not.

5. Be cautious when using the ATMs...look around and insure that no one is lurking.

6. ATMs are very easy and reliable in Spain and Europe....do not fear them.

7. Chipped Debit cards ARE NOT required in ATMs at this time.

8. Only 4 digit pass code numbers will work. Be aware that most European ATM keyboards do not have letters included. Be sure you know your code by number and not alphabetical.

European ATM keyboards often have the numbers starting with "1" on the bottom row and "7" on the top row...much like the number pad on most computer keyboards.

9. Keep your money in a secure place...on your person...never in your pack. Spread it around a bit so it will not all be lost at once.

Much of this is just common sense and you have heard it numerous times...but there are many who are going on their first international adventure and find these type of reminders very useful.

Hi
It sounds like I travel much like you. However, thank you for the Schwab heads up. Schwab has sent my ATM card on the way. Good always to have a backup. Buen camino to all. 30 days to go!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
At the risk of posing a dumb question...where do I get the euros? I live in Costa Rica, but will be arriving there with American dollars. Do I get them at the airport in Madrid? Will dollars tie me over for a few days until I get to a proper bank in Pamplona?

At the risk of posing a dumb question...where do I get the euros? I live in Costa Rica, but will be arriving there with American dollars. Do I get them at the airport in Madrid? Will dollars tie me over for a few days until I get to a proper bank in Pamplona?

I assume you can 'preorder' Euros at your home bank?! If not you can exchange a small amount on arrival for the first few expenses. Dollars will not be accepted as a payment option in Europe!!!
Best not to carry too much cash - instead take a Pin (4 digits) and chip card with you (or better two, Schwab has a good reputation) and withdraw money as needed. Never carry all your budget in cash.

Buen Camino, SY

Using a debit card at an ATM will get you the best exchange rate. There will be several at the airport.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
There are ATMs in the Madrid airport.
ATMs will be your best source of cash on the Camino.
Credit cards are very rarely accepted and cash is used.
Notify your bank/credit union of your travel and dates or your card will be rejected.
There are some very good threads here on ATM use if you wish to search.

Two of our long time members live in Costa Rica and probably have some very good tips that you can use.
I will try to send them this thread as a PM and hopefully they will reply to you.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi Shawnasong, we also live in Costa Rica and always buy our euros before we leave, either at the Banco Nacional or Banco de Costa Rica. We were wondering why you be taking along dollars, when after all we use colones in Costa Rica and are going to Europe?

Last edited:
The cash I have on hand available for spending is dollars because that is what I brought recently from the States. My colones are more limited and are in Banco nacional. I live in a pretty rural area where the Banco nacional does not have euros, so I erroneously assumed that I can't get euros here. Soooo, I was going to bring my dollars and do the exchange in Spain. I'm glad I asked because now I know. I think I will go to a larger city and do the exchange. Thanks for your comment, it is helpful.
Pura vida,
Shawna

I was thinking of trying the prepaid debit card that is available at Walmart the Bluebird by American Express. I read in a travel article that it doesn't have foreign transaction fees, when using it to pay directly (not sure about ATM Fees yet, though I will ask when I make it to the store). Has anyone here used it?
I found that my American Express Delta credit card has no foreign transaction fees and so did my USAA credit card. That saved us a lot of money

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

These must only be in America as I just checked it out .... can get one here BUT it has country of origin all over it which I think these days is not a good idea :rolleyes:

I remember watching a video (YouTube), where someone made a trekking pole and used it to place some ultra-light survival tools and reserve money into it. If your poles have to be left without supervision, that may not be an option. However, maybe it is a good hiding place for someone as it will probably not be the first place a thief would check.

I remember watching a video (YouTube), where someone made a trekking pole and used it to place some ultra-light survival tools and reserve money into it. If your poles have to be left without supervision, that may not be an option. However, maybe it is a good hiding place for someone as it will probably not be the first place a thief would check.

A thief may not look in a hiking pole for valuables BUT poles seem to be one of the most thieved - or accidentally taken - items on the camino. I know of three people who have had theirs stolen, including my octogenarian father-in-law.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
A thief may not look in a hiking pole for valuables BUT poles seem to be one of the most thieved - or accidentally taken - items on the camino. I know of three people who have had theirs stolen, including my octogenarian father-in-law.
Correct - supervision is crucial as I wrote. If, e.g., you'd want to go into a café and leave your poles outside, you'd have to remove the money (so no-one sees of course). During your walk it is a good place.

Correct - supervision is crucial as I wrote. If, e.g., you'd want to go into a café and leave your poles outside, you'd have to remove the money (so no-one sees of course). During your walk it is a good place.
Wouldn't it be easier to tuck it into your sock? ;-)

Wouldn't it be easier to tuck it into your sock? ;-)
Undoubtedly, but the idea is to spread the money over several places, so a pickpocket will not get everything at once. I thought about the socks, but that is not easy. It is a good place if you, for example, use double socks or are not bothered by plastic (you need to protect the money from moisture). Any place where a quick grab will not do is good. Per definition, it should never be easy. As far as that goes, that is something to consider when you construct your poles. Opening them to retract something should be possible without a tool.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Correos Spain has a pre paid mastercard you can buy in any post office. There is a fee for the plastic but I found out that my credit card fees for ATM withdrawals are higher than this correos card and the €6 price is less than the taxes I would pay to use my credit card overseas. This my not be an advantage for europeans though.

I like that idea - as a European. Our banks also charge for withdrawals and it is not cheap. You can stash away your main credit/debit card and use this card so you don't need to carry a lot of cash.
Question: where can I get something like that in Lisbon for a similar (or better) price?

Jakke,
Sorry, I was being a bit of a smart-mouth with my sock comment. I've got too many teens in the house and they're rubbing off on me!
I have walked as a mother with four kids (who are charged as adults on the camino) so I was effectively carrying money and passports for five people as I did not think that was a fair expectation to put on the kids. This meant that with the exception of the time we got dangerously low on euros (under 50) because ATMs hadn't worked, I frequently had in the order of hundreds of euros on my person. I carried a cash passport for making withdrawals and VISA debit card as an emergency back-up. All of this was kept in my bumbag which was ALWAYS at every single moment attached to a person (my phone, glasses and essential allergy medication were in there too - the things we couldn't afford to lose). I had enough money for a day in a little zipped coin purse in the main part of the bag and the bulk of it in a plastic bag in a zipped compartment at the back of the bumbag. We had a double-up of the cards in another place which will remain undisclosed to the general population as I'd like to walk on my own some day and I will use the same method again. I must admit these cards were left unattended at times - but they were in such an unbelievable place that I decided the risk of being found was much smaller than the chance of them being lost if the bumbag went missing (We were so religious about caring for that bumbag that it would have had to have been cut off us or it fallen off in a river crossing to necessitate the use of those extra cards) So far this has worked for me even though it breaks the rule of never leave valuables unattended. I decided incredibly well hidden was safer than being taken out of that spot and potentially being seen. Plus I sent my hubby a message whenever I withdrew money so if there was any untoward activity on the card he would discover it the same day.
If you're walking as a couple it it so much easier - when hubby was with us, he carried half the money and the two spare cards on his person all the time.
I endorse the thinking that valuables should not be left unattended. I slept with our bumbag on every night. I never plugged the phone in to charge and walked away. I witnessed plenty of people leaving items charging overnight or popping their passport into the top of their backpack before they went to sleep - foolish practises.

Jakke,
Sorry, I was being a bit of a smart-mouth with my sock comment. I've got too many teens in the house and they're rubbing off on me!
I have walked as a mother with four kids (who are charged as adults on the camino) so I was effectively carrying money and passports for five people as I did not think that was a fair expectation to put on the kids. This meant that with the exception of the time we got dangerously low on euros (under 50) because ATMs hadn't worked, I frequently had in the order of hundreds of euros on my person. I carried a cash passport for making withdrawals and VISA debit card as an emergency back-up. All of this was kept in my bumbag which was ALWAYS at every single moment attached to a person (my phone, glasses and essential allergy medication were in there too - the things we couldn't afford to lose). I had enough money for a day in a little zipped coin purse in the main part of the bag and the bulk of it in a plastic bag in a zipped compartment at the back of the bumbag. We had a double-up of the cards in another place which will remain undisclosed to the general population as I'd like to walk on my own some day and I will use the same method again. I must admit these cards were left unattended at times - but they were in such an unbelievable place that I decided the risk of being found was much smaller than the chance of them being lost if the bumbag went missing (We were so religious about caring for that bumbag that it would have had to have been cut off us or it fallen off in a river crossing to necessitate the use of those extra cards) So far this has worked for me even though it breaks the rule of never leave valuables unattended. I decided incredibly well hidden was safer than being taken out of that spot and potentially being seen. Plus I sent my hubby a message whenever I withdrew money so if there was any untoward activity on the card he would discover it the same day.
If you're walking as a couple it it so much easier - when hubby was with us, he carried half the money and the two spare cards on his person all the time.
I endorse the thinking that valuables should not be left unattended. I slept with our bumbag on every night. I never plugged the phone in to charge and walked away. I witnessed plenty of people leaving items charging overnight or popping their passport into the top of their backpack before they went to sleep - foolish practises.

As a father of 4 and grandpa of 9, I can relate to the challenge you faced ;)
The concept of a cash passport is an interesting one. As far as I know, it is not available in Finland. I wish it were. I will look in Lisbon for something similar.
I hope I have solved the charging problem (who would sit besides the charger until the phone has been charged?) by using a solar charger. It is extra weight, though. It does make me independent and I do not need to wait for my turn. Thanks for your thoughts!

(who would sit besides the charger until the phone has been charged?)

I do! I find a seat near a wall socket in the albergue kitchen / bar / restaurant and plug in my phone while writing my journal / having a drink / eating a meal.
Jill

I do! I find a seat near a wall socket in the albergue kitchen / bar / restaurant and plug in my phone while writing my journal / having a drink / eating a meal.
Jill
Patience... one of those things the camino will maybe teach me a bit more ;)

I like that idea - as a European. Our banks also charge for withdrawals and it is not cheap. You can stash away your main credit/debit card and use this card so you don't need to carry a lot of cash.
Question: where can I get something like that in Lisbon for a similar (or better) price?
Hi Jakke, I don't know if you asked me directly, so....I don't know about this in Portugal because I'm from Brazil. Sorry ;)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi Jakke, I don't know if you asked me directly, so....I don't know about this in Portugal because I'm from Brazil. Sorry ;)
Thanks, Andrea. I was hoping someone of the readers might know. I'll go to a bank and find out when I get there. Fortunately I'll have some time in Lisbon.

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
I was looking at the wisepilgrim app for the Frances route and noticed that the distances don't always add up from one side to the other. Has anyone else noticed this? Am I being overly observant...
Today is Sunday and I finished my Camino from León on Friday. The thing is I am feeling off balanced. I feel like I am not done. Last night I started feeling anxious with the thought of going back...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.